HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 52 of 100 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109816
03/14/09 12:40 AM
03/14/09 12:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's a quickie:

What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109827
03/14/09 01:59 AM
03/14/09 01:59 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bob

The problem is that your conclusions and summaries abased on priniciples are flatly contradicted by the disconfirming details we see in the text.

Which is why I keep asking that you address those details. And why sometimes I refer to them as "inconvenient details".

Originally Posted By: Tom

Why do ignore the "inconvenient principles" discussed by the author elsewhere? If you did that, it should be evident that your interpretation of the "inconvenient details" doesn't fit.

There is some hand waiving and equivocation in that statement that is not helping your argument at all.

The details of GC 672-673 are so devastating to your argument you can not even bring yourself to quote them or to admit that they are literally true.

The "principles PLUS assumptions -- to yield conclusions" that you offer are much easier for me to deal with -- because all I have to do is toss out your assumptions and conclusions and then just stick with the principles actually stated in the text. ( hence my complete review of both DA 764 and GC 535 along with my affirmations that God is not arbitrary or unjust etc.)

ALL of those concepts of God fit perfectly into the "details" since the Love of God AND the Justice of God is seen in what the text calls His "unmingled wrath" (unmingled with mercy) poured out on the wicked.

You keep arguing that I first have to explain various arguments NOT in the text. I keep arguing that you have to explain away details IN the text.

1.Your ideas don't fit the principles laid out by the author elsewhere, such as in DA 764, and even earlier in the GC itself (e.g. GC 541-543).

A point often asserted - but never proven "from the text".

And you keep referring to my "quote" of GC 672-673 as "my ideas".

Again -- very instructive that the mere quote of it is so disturbing to your assumptions applied to principles.

2.Your ideas don't fit with the author's conception of God's character. The God she writes about (see, e.g., GC 535-536, and GC 35-36) would not do the things you're suggesting

"Doing the things" that we SEE in GC672-673 is not a form of "ME suggesting" it is form of "ME READING"

You repeatedly expose your argument on this point. The mere existence of those GC 672-673 can not be tolerated in your argument so you continually have to reposition the "inconvenient details" of GC 672-673 as "My suggestions" or as "Things I am suggesting" instead of "DETAILS We are ALL READING".

(specifically burn people alive with literal fire for many days).

I keep giving you the chance to EXEGETE your view - showing that IN The text of GC 672-673 the idea of ROCKS on fire is NOT there and the idea that the SAME fire that destroys the wicked is NOT burning the rubbish on the earth (EW 294) etc (detail after detail listed)...

All you do is "ignore the details" as if the very WORDS of the text are "my suggestions".

And who is going to be convinced by that kind of transparent and up front "spin"???

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/14/09 02:01 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109843
03/14/09 06:06 AM
03/14/09 06:06 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
And who is going to be convinced by that kind of transparent and up front "spin"???

Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109851
03/14/09 06:39 PM
03/14/09 06:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Bob, here are some questions:

1.Where does the text say the wicked will suffer because they are being burned alive by fire for many hours or many days?
2.How does the judgment, according to the viewpoint you are presenting, have God acting according to the principles of kindness, mercy and love?
3.How does the judgment, according to the viewpoint you are presenting, present God as loving His enemies?
4.How is it you think God is capable of burning people alive for many hours or many days?
5.Why do you think God will manufacture this punishment when DA 764 specifically says the death of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary (or manufactured) act of punishment on the part of God, but is rather the result of their own choice?
6.How is it that if God left Satan to reap the result of his sin, he would have perished?
7.How is it that the same thing which imparts life to the righteous slays the wicked?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109857
03/14/09 09:44 PM
03/14/09 09:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please consider the following paragraph:

1. What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. {TSB 131.3}

2. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. {TSB 131.3}

3. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. {TSB 131.3}

4. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

This passage makes it clear that God commanded Moses to stone sinners to death. It also makes clear the relationship between punishment and death, namely, that it is "inflicted". That is, it doesn't happen naturally. "In the retribution inflicted upon the ungrateful husbandmen was portrayed the doom of those who should put Christ to death." {DA 596.3} "The punishment inflicted on human beings will in every case be proportionate to the dishonor they have brought on God." {LDE 217.3}

Notice Ellen's use of the words "inflict" and "inflicted":

God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

God reads the purposes and intents of the hearts, and tries the motives of the children of men. His signal, visible displeasure may not be manifested as in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, yet in the end the punishment will in no case be lighter than that which was inflicted upon them. In trying to deceive men, they were lying to God. "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." {CS 334.3}

The most fearful threatening ever addressed to mortals is contained in the third angel's message. That must be a terrible sin which calls down the wrath of God unmingled with mercy. Men are not to be left in darkness concerning this important matter; the warning against this sin is to be given to the world before the visitation of God's judgments, that all may know why they are to be inflicted, and have opportunity to escape them. {GC 449.2}

God had declared that if at that time they refused to hear His voice, He would inflict upon them fearful retribution. They did refuse to hear, and He pronounced His final judgments upon Judah, and He would visit with special wrath the man who had proudly lifted himself up against the Almighty. {PK 435.3} The lightest punishment that a merciful God could inflict upon so rebellious a people was submission to the rule of Babylon, but if they warred against this decree of servitude they were to feel the full vigor of His chastisement. {PK 443.2}

Had Eli dealt justly with his wicked sons, they would have been rejected from the priestly office and punished with death. Dreading thus to bring public disgrace and condemnation upon them, he sustained them in the most sacred positions of trust. He still permitted them to mingle their corruption with the holy service of God and to inflict upon the cause of truth an injury which years could not efface. But when the judge of Israel neglected his work, God took the matter in hand. . . He incurred the Lord's displeasure by not reproving sin and executing justice upon the sinner. {PP 577, 578}

The Lord commanded Jeremiah to stand in the court of the Lord's house and speak unto all the people of Judah who came there to worship, those things which He would give him to speak, diminishing not a word, that they might hearken and turn from their evil ways. Then God would repent of the punishment which He had purposed to inflict upon them because of their wickedness. {4T 165.2}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109862
03/14/09 11:31 PM
03/14/09 11:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them."

M: Tom, please explain to me how the righteous traits and attributes of God's character destroys sin. Is sin a substance that can be destroyed or caused to feel emotional or physical agony? Will sin turn to ashes?

T: No, sin is not a substance that can be destroyed. Sin are unrighteous thoughts and actions. They are the result of selfishness. When exposed for what it is, it's too much for the human mind to bear.

How does "the glory of God . . . destroy sin"?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109863
03/14/09 11:56 PM
03/14/09 11:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Also, my point is that it didn’t happen when divinity wasn’t flashing through humanity. True, sinners felt uneasy around Jesus, but His presence didn’t cause them to fear for their lives.

T: Sure, Jesus shrouded God's glory. He had to. He was like the burning bush, where God's glory was encapsulated in a way which could be beheld. His whole purpose was to reveal God, so this was necessary. However, at times, divinity flashed through humanity, which was a sharper revelation of God's glory (character).

Was Jesus’ character less holy or righteous when divinity wasn’t flashing through humanity? Why didn’t His character cause sinners to fear for their lives?

Quote:
M: Why weren’t sinners capable of this kind of comprehension when divinity wasn’t flashing through humanity? What laws or dynamics were at work?

T: The glory of God was shrouded.

So, do you think Jesus’ character was incapable of causing sinners to fear for their lives? Doesn’t this imply Jesus’ character wasn’t as holy and righteous and pure as God’s?

Quote:
M: Pretend for a moment that these kinds of DA insights are failing to convince me that sin alone is what causes sinners to suffer and die at the end of time. With this in mind, please rely on passages that plainly say, “Sin alone will cause sinners to suffer and die at the end of time when God withdraws His protection and permits sin to run its natural course.

T: MM, it wouldn't do any good, even if there were a passage which said exactly this.

I take it you believe no such passage exists. If so, then I agree.

Quote:
M: Are you saying God will punish sinners by withdrawing His protection and permitting sin to run its natural course which thereby kills them in the process?

T: No. Look at DA 107, 108; also DA 764. That's what I'm saying.

The problem is, Tom, those very same passages agree with what I’m saying. How can they also support your view? Our views are diametrically opposed.

Quote:
M: How will sin cause sinners to suffer and die? What laws or dynamic will be at work?

T: DA chapter 1 . . . speaks of how self-sacrificing love is the law of life for the universe. . . Selfishness can not support life.

You didn’t answer the question.

Quote:
T: What I've said is that the inevitable result of sin is death, or, using other words, that sin causes death (which is the same thing; if the inevitable result of A is B then A causes B, assuming no independent source C is involved).

M: In your algebraic formula above what do A and B symbolize?

T: It's not an algebraic formula, just shorthand. A is sin, B is death.

Where does the following insight fit in? “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’ Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.”

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109864
03/15/09 12:28 AM
03/15/09 12:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T: Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

This doesn’t address my comment.

Quote:
M: Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

Why do you think they thought they were ready for him to die before the cross?

Quote:
M: Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

T: You already know what I think.

No I don’t.

Quote:
M: The question is - Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? I am, of course, referring to the stories of fire killing sinners in the OT. And, yes, I do not see in the inspired descriptions sinners engulfed in flames at the end of time. True, the descriptions depict the planet as a molten, seething lake of fire, but it doesn’t show sinners engulfed in flames.

T: I've never spoken of a "'withdraw and permit' method of punishment."

Do you think God ever withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to be burned alive? For example, do you think God withdrew His protection and allowed fire to burn Nadab and Abihu alive? If not, how and why were they burned alive?

Quote:
M: I had in mind your view of how and why death and destruction happens (i.e. the “withdraw and permit” method you advocate).

T: 1.God's anger is kindled when people choose sin over Him.
2.God hides His face (forsakes/departs).
3.Many evil and troubles come as a result.
4.These evils come because God is not among them.

Do you think God withdraws His protection and permits nature or evil angels or evil men to cause sinners to suffer and die?

Quote:
M: I’ll rephrase the comment and ask a question. According to you, God has, from time to time, withdrawn His protection and permitted the pent up forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

T: Yes. These are examples of the "many evils and troubles" that come as a result of God's "hiding His face."

M: Are such results consistent with God’s character?

T: No. The results aren't, but God's actions are consistent with His character.

M: Is it accurate to conclude the results are right and righteous because God permitted it to happen?

T: No, not at all. The results of sin are wrong and unrighteous. However, God's actions are right and righteous.

Would such results (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) happen if God didn’t hide His face? And, are such results regulated by God so as not to exceed His established limits?

Quote:
M: Do you think these kinds of “strange acts” are consistent with the loving and merciful character of God, and that allowing sinners to die this way was right and righteous?

T: As they actually happen, yes.

What actually happened? What part did God play? Did do anything or stop doing anything that resulted in what actually happened?

Quote:
M: For example, we know from inspired descriptions that the wicked will suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness on a planet engulfed in fire and then they will die and their bodies will be burned to ashes along with the rest of the rubble and rubbish of earth. Can we conclude that this scenario is right and righteous because God is the one who will permit things to play out in this fashion?

T: I agree with the idea that the scenario that plays out is a right thing, but not for the reason given.

Do you think things will play out this way naturally, that God will not have to ensure it doesn’t play out some other way?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109865
03/15/09 12:41 AM
03/15/09 12:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I am reasonably certain the fire engulfing the planet will contribute to the physical pain the wicked will suffer at the end of time. I don’t see how it can’t, unless, of course, God shields them somehow like He did in the case of the three Hebrew worthies.

T: So they'll feel hot, like in the desert? Something like that?

I'm guessing the fire engulfing the earth will feel hot to the sinners. Do you think the following fire is literal? "Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. . . The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire."

Quote:
"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked."

M: This is referring to firelight, not fire. There is a difference. For example, sunlight is firelight, not fire; nevertheless, if channeled through a magnifying glass it can cause things to ignite and burn up. The same firelight that hardens clay melts wax. The difference is the substance upon which the firelight shines. In the same way, sinless flesh (skin) thrives in the presence of the radiant firelight emanating from God, whereas, sinful flesh (skin) suffers and turns to ashes (unless, of course, God regulates it). "But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed."

Do you agree

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109867
03/15/09 12:55 AM
03/15/09 12:55 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Please explain why you think each one of these facts are literal or symbolic.

1. Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action.

T: I don't see how this could be symbolic. What would it be symbolic of?

I simply asked you to explain why you think it’s one or the other. I agree with you that it is literal.

Quote:
2. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

T: Comparing this with other passages, such as DA 107-108 and DA 764, this would have to be symbolic (or the other passages would be wrong). Plus it would be consistent with God's character.

The word “consumed” in this sentence corresponds to the word “destroyed” in the very next sentence. The “fire” in this passage corresponds to the “fire” in the following passage:

“Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire.”

Do you think this fire is symbolic?

Quote:
3. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer.

T: This makes perfect sense, as I've explained. If punishment is organic to sin, it has to be this way.

See comments above. You seem to think “quickly destroyed” means their sin and guilt caused them to rapidly die of mental anguish.

Quote:
4. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body.

T: Yes, same as 3.

You seem to think “punished” means they suffered the natural cause and consequence relationship between sin and suffering and death.

Quote:
5. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained.

T: This is symbolic. The thought is the same as 3 and 4. A "portion of them unconsumed" is clearly symbolic. What would the alternative be? If the fire burned a portion of them, it couldn't be the part with the brain, as they wouldn't able to suffer without a brain. So their limbs? What? It doesn't make any sense to interpret this literally. She's describing what she literally saw, but the meaning isn't literal.

You seem to think God will supernaturally shield them from the fire and flames engulfing the earth.

Quote:
6. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon."

T: Same as 5. Clearly symbolic.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Page 52 of 100 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!