HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 63 of 100 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110532
03/26/09 06:58 PM
03/26/09 06:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Our thoughts and motives are to change, is my understanding, both from the bible and sop.

In studying the life of Christ, if we submit, the Holy Spirit changes how we view things. Our motives and actions start changing. all of this is dependent on how we view the actions of Christ, whether He reacted in anger or coldness to any situations or was it in yearning love.

This is expressing what I was trying to say. Motivation is a very important thing, which I neglected to mention. Appreciation, closely related, is another.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #110534
03/26/09 07:31 PM
03/26/09 07:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Thanks Rosangela. That's a very excellent quote and might explain a dimension to me. So please help me with this reasoning.

1. If the enmity toward sin was a supernatural implant in human Jesus, therefore, he was not like us.
2. However, this could explain that Jesus inherited all sinful tendencies.
3. Could we equate this enmity towards sin, to not having a rebellious nature?
4. So this could also explain that if Jesus inherited all sinful tendencies from 4000 years of inheritence, then this enmity toward sin would make it possible for Baby Jesus to not sin.

Elle,

This enmity against Satan must be supernaturally implanted in all of us.
By choosing to sin, man rebelled against God and became His enemy, and therefore a friend of Satan. This is the condition in which we are born. However God promised, in Gen. 3:15, that He would put enmity between us and Satan, and so, as soon as we are born the Holy Spirit starts to implant this enmity in our hearts, but this work, in its totality, is just accomplished at conversion. However, after that the Holy Spirit must continue His work, or we will go back to our previous unregenerate state.
Jesus, however, was already born with this enmity against Satan. It was supernaturally implanted in His humanity and it was natural in His divinity.
However, even having already been born with this enmity against Satan implanted in His human nature, this couldn't account for His life without sin in case He had been born with sinful tendencies, because we have this enmity implanted in us after conversion and we still sin after it.

Have I made things clearer or more confusing?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110535
03/26/09 07:34 PM
03/26/09 07:34 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
So our Mind gets physically changed?
No. The mind is a concept, not a physical entity, but housed in the brain, which is.
Quote:
I want you to explain it in very detail fashion, what should I be expecting in regards to santification or transformation? Is my mind going to change physically to be able to reflect Christ's Character? If so, how much of my mind? And before Christ can come and get us, do you think everyone will need there whole mind physically transform?

And when we are talking about our mind changed are referring mainly to our frontal lobe?
As I mentioned previously, one's way of thinking changes; one's paradigm, frame of reference, perception, etc.

Tom, your description is very vague, and I have the impression you can't answer my question. You ask me the very same question and I answered you. I turn the question around to you, however, you can't answer me.

Is our mind physical or spiritual? It comes down to those two entity.

The mind is physical. Our mind is a product of our brain neuro activity.
Originally Posted By: article
The most common view is that mind and brain are exactly the same sort of thing, but described at different levels of explanation - a school of thought known as property dualism. In other words, the mind is changes in the physical structure of the brain, and changes in the physical structure of the brain are the mind.

To make an analogy, no-one would deny that the economic system exists in the physical world, but to try and explain unemployment in terms of atomic physics would be folly, as would trying to solve economic problems by using a particle accelerator. In a similar way, we can accept that the mind and brain are both based in the physical world, but explaining the mind, or mental illness, purely in physical terms, may not always be appropriate or useful.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110538
03/26/09 07:44 PM
03/26/09 07:44 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Thanks Rosangela. That's a very excellent quote and might explain a dimension to me. So please help me with this reasoning.

1. If the enmity toward sin was a supernatural implant in human Jesus, therefore, he was not like us.
2. However, this could explain that Jesus inherited all sinful tendencies.
3. Could we equate this enmity towards sin, to not having a rebellious nature?
4. So this could also explain that if Jesus inherited all sinful tendencies from 4000 years of inheritence, then this enmity toward sin would make it possible for Baby Jesus to not sin.

Elle,

This enmity against Satan must be supernaturally implanted in all of us.
By choosing to sin, man rebelled against God and became His enemy, and therefore a friend of Satan. This is the condition in which we are born. However God promised, in Gen. 3:15, that He would put enmity between us and Satan, and so, as soon as we are born the Holy Spirit starts to implant this enmity in our hearts, but this work, in its totality, is just accomplished at conversion. However, after that the Holy Spirit must continue His work, or we will go back to our previous unregenerate state.
Jesus, however, was already born with this enmity against Satan. It was supernaturally implanted in His humanity and it was natural in His divinity.
However, even having already been born with this enmity against Satan implanted in His human nature, this couldn't account for His life without sin in case He had been born with sinful tendencies, because we have this enmity implanted in us after conversion and we still sin after it.

Have I made things clearer or more confusing?
Definetly not clearer smile Was that supernatural enmity implanted in Jesus at it's 100% strenght in Baby Jesus and maintain through out His life? Can it be accounted for the reason why Jesus did not have a rebellious spirit?

I can understand that many things in a sinful human person like ourself, there's lots of work for the Holy Spirit to do.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110540
03/26/09 07:51 PM
03/26/09 07:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Oh, then Christ took a nature that wasn’t corrupted but had corrupt principles?

Ellen White uses "sinful nature," "fallen nature," "offensive nature," and a nature "degraded and defiled by sin" to reference our sinful flesh. "Corrupt nature" she doesn't use this way. She did speak of corrupt principles, in the quote I cited.

Quote:
And in your conception a nature with corrupt principles is not corrupted? Can someone really accept such an absurd argument?

I was just going by how Ellen White expressed things. Personally I would just stick to "sinful flesh," as there seems to be quite a bit of confusion in regards to "nature." (Not that there isn't confusion related to "flesh," but at least "flesh" isn't as ambiguous a word).

Quote:
R: So the concept of original sin is wrong because it involves the idea that simply the act of being requires a Savior, but the corporate concept involves the same idea, however it’s correct. What is the logic of this?
T: It's not the same idea. Original sin involves the idea that through heredity we receive tendencies to sin, which tendencies, of themselves, constitute a taint of sin, making us guilty of sin. The corporate idea is that we (the entire human race) are condemned in Adam and justified (the entire human race) in Christ.

R:So your view is that the sin of Adam is imputed to us?

No, it's what Prescott said. When Paul says that Levi paid tithes in Abraham, he wasn't saying that the paying of tithes was imputed to Levi, but that Levi was in Abraham, and paid tithes in him.

Quote:
T:Yes, Christ was in Adam. He was born condemned, under the sentence of death. Waggoner explains this in "The Gospel in Galatians".
R:I’ve never heard anything so absurd!
T: The same reaction Butler had!

R:So? You seem to believe that everything Butler said was wrong, and that everything Jones and Waggoner said was right. Ellen White never took this position, and neither do I.

I'll just say it seems odd to me that you say you believe what Ellen White wrote regarding Jones and Waggoner, but whenever we enter into a discussion involving them you seem to take the position of their opponents.

Quote:
R: If Christ was born condemned, under the sentence of death, how is it that He didn’t need a savior, since that is the very reason why we need a savior? If He Himself must die, if He owed His own life, He could never have died in our place.
T: This is the same argument Butler made, which Waggoner addressed.

R:This is not Butler’s argument and Waggoner didn’t address it (at least not in the passage you quoted). Could you address it, please?

It was in the quote provided. Waggoner argued that Butler's argument applied as much to Butler's position as it did to his.

Quote:
T:That "under the law" in Gal. 4:4-5 does not mean "subject to the law" is clear from the context, as Waggoner explains.

R:No, it’s not at all clear from the context.

Yes, it is.

Quote:
He does it in the most practical and real way. Whom does He redeem?--"Them that were under the law." We can not refrain from referring for a moment to the idea that some have that this expression, "to redeem them that were under the law," has a mere local application. They would have it that it means that Christ freed the Jews from the necessity of offering sacrifices, or from any further obligation to keep the commandments. Well, suppose we take it as referring only to the Jews, and especially to those who lived at the time of His first advent; what then?--Simply this, that we shut ourselves off from any place in the plan of redemption. If it was only the Jews that were under the law, then it was only the Jews that Christ came to redeem. Ah, we do not like to be left out, when it comes to the matter of redemption! Then we must acknowledge that we are, or were before we believed, "under the law;" for Christ came to redeem none but those who were under the law. "Under the law," as we have already seen, means condemned by the law as transgressors. Christ did "not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." But the law condemns none but those who are amenable to it, and who ought to keep it. Therefore, since Christ redeems us from the law, from its condemnation, it follows that He redeems us to a life of obedience to it. (The Glad Tidings)

Quote:
R: She uses the word “sin” referring to Seth’s sinful nature. This is easy to see and understand.
T: It's a similar thought to Ps. 51:5. You'd agree with this, wouldn't you?

R:Yes, and there is still an equating between the concept of sinful nature and the concept of sin.
It’s interesting that while Ellen White says that Seth ”was born in sin” (SR 57), she says that Christ “was born without a taint of sin” (7A BC 462).

Here's a comment of Waggoner's which involves Ps. 51:5:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem. Death could have no power over a sinless man, as Adam was in Eden, and it could not have had any power over Christ, if the Lord had not laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Moreover, the fact that Christ took upon Himself the flesh, not of a sinless being, but of a sinful man, that is, that the flesh which He assumed had all the weaknesses and sinful tendencies to which fallen human nature is subject, is shown by the statement that He "was made of the seed of David according to the flesh." David had all the passions of human nature. He says of himself, "Behold I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." Ps. 51:5. (Christ and His Righteousness)

It seems to me we're rather going around in circles. You believe in original sin, so you interpret everything in this context. So if Ellen White says that Christ took "our sinful nature" upon His sinful nature, you consider "our sinful nature" which Christ took to be different than "our sinful nature" when the context does not involve Christ, because you hold to the original sin idea.

On the other hand, I believe Christ took our sinful nature, so the texts you bring up I interpret in a way that doesn't lead to the original sin idea, as this contradicts the idea that Christ took our sinful nature.

As Haskell put it, Christ's humanity was "fallen humanity, with its hereditary inclinations."

I also believe that Ellen White's endorsements of Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott only make sense in the context of Christ's having taken our sinful nature (as Haskell, Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott characterized it, as including hereditary inclinations).

If Ellen White wrote by herself, like on an island or some such, I could see the sense in trying to dissect her phrases without reference to anyone else, but given that she spent years of her life with other SDA's, who wrote about the same subject, this seems to me rather like an ostrich hiding its head in the sand.

The entire church was post-lapsarian; these thoughts were in our periodicals, our books, our Sabbath School lessons, everywhere. When the Holy Flesh ideas came about, these were met directly on the basis of post-lapsarian thought. I just don't see any sense in the idea that Ellen White secretly held a contrary view to the entire body of the church, and never uttered a peep about it. (Except supposedly in a private letter to Baker, which makes it even *less* unlikely she was pre-lapsarian, because the Baker letter makes it clear that the issue was important to her).

Also I mentioned that I became a post-lapsarian by reading "The Desire of Ages." Before reading this book, and before becoming an SDA, I believed in original sin (like you, the Protestant version). However, without studying into the issues we are studying now, or knowing anything about 1888, it was clear to me I had been in error. It wasn't until I had been in the church for some time that I was aware there was a controversy about this. It struck me as odd that there was a controversy as simply reading "The Desire of Ages," to me, made the issue clear.

Quote:
OK, then I would say that “sexual attraction” is part of the mindset of the world. Something we should leave behind.
By the way, coffee smell is unpleasant. Well, at least to me.

Sexual attraction is a part of being human. It's neither good nor bad. It's simply a drive we have, like a drive for food. As we should educate our minds and palates to select and have a taste for wholesome food, so we should educate our minds and palates to select and have a taste for wholesome sex. But this doesn't mean that if one feels a desire for some forbidden food that this is a sin. For example, if you used to be a coffee drinker, and liked the smell of coffee, it would be natural to feel a desire to drink coffee when smelling it. Simply having a positive reaction to the smell of coffee isn't a sin.

Simply put, sin comes into play when the will enters into the question. As James puts it, "when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin." Sin is not given birth (i.e. does not exist) until desire has conceived, which is to say the will has entered into the question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110541
03/26/09 07:52 PM
03/26/09 07:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm curious, are all those on this thread who believe in original sin (Protestant version) in agreement with Rosagela, that if one is dating someone one intends to marry, and feels a desire to have sex with that person, that this is a sin?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #110544
03/26/09 08:04 PM
03/26/09 08:04 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Could you simplify and paraphrase the above

Ah, of course, the french accident. Good one, Elle! And thank you for the kindness, Tom.

Well, I clearly failed in subtly implying that Froom in QOD was a tad wicked when it came to accuracy (please forgive the insinuation, Prof). Or, what Knight referred to as Froom being "less than transparent on the denomination’s position on the topic [of Christology] since the mid 1890s." (vx)

Dr. Knight, in the 2003 Annotated Edition, basically called Froom and his colleagues everything but fabricating liars. My, my, that must have been difficult, eh?

Not that you'd be interested, but Knight must have winced once or twice with such candid portrayals of the men whose theology he perhaps supported.

Try not to wince yourself as you read. Haha. (Italics are mine.)

Suspicion of the Adventist conferees having hedged on the truth of the traditional Adventist position is seemingly confirmed. (xvi)

It is much more difficult to justify the Adventist conferees’ presentation and manipulation of the data they presented on the human nature of Christ. (xvii)

The authors at times push the facts a bit too far. (xxx)

Thus Questions on Doctrines not only supplied a misleading heading [the one I referred to in my post], but it also neglected to present the evidence that would have contradicted the heading. (516)

Some assertions were less than straightforward and transparent. (517)

The authors of Questions on Doctrines sought to avoid those statements of Ellen White that Christ had a sinful nature and also to leave the impression that she held that he had a sinless human nature. (518)

The authors of Questions on Doctrines apparently were tempted to avoid some of Ellen White’s strong statements in their compilation and to provide the misleading heading. (518)

They were tempted to manipulate the evidence a bit. (520)

With those manipulations of the data and personal insinuations the gauntlet had been cast down. (521)

LeRoy Froom and his colleagues in the evangelical dialog had not told the truth. (521)

Unfortunately there does appear to be elements of a betrayal in the manipulation of the data and in the untruths that were past on. (522)

The moral of the story is that complete honesty and openness in all dealings is always important, no matter how uncomfortable the situation. (522)

Ouch. See what I mean? Every now and then I still wince for the poor geezer's undressing. Thank God He doesn't deal with us so pointedly and in public, eh?!

William

Last edited by William; 03/26/09 08:16 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #110547
03/26/09 08:20 PM
03/26/09 08:20 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Tx William for clarifying.

I like the moral of the story.

What's all these "ehs" everywhere! Are you making fun of Canadians or you're trying to be one of us laugh

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #110549
03/26/09 08:25 PM
03/26/09 08:25 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
No, no, just love Canadians, of course!

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110553
03/26/09 10:18 PM
03/26/09 10:18 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Our thoughts and motives are to change, is my understanding, both from the bible and sop.

In studying the life of Christ, if we submit, the Holy Spirit changes how we view things. Our motives and actions start changing. all of this is dependent on how we view the actions of Christ, whether He reacted in anger or coldness to any situations or was it in yearning love.

This is expressing what I was trying to say. Motivation is a very important thing, which I neglected to mention. Appreciation, closely related, is another.

please elaborate on the appreciation part. my understanding is being fine-tuned and every little bit helps.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 63 of 100 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!