HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,613
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 73 of 100 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111056
04/01/09 11:24 AM
04/01/09 11:24 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
I had a hunch that you weren't going to answer me.

I respect the resignation in your voice, Elle. Which is also why I didn't respond too aggressively.

From experience you know that coming from such distinct backgrounds—being theologically influenced from opposite directions—makes it nearly impossible to meld in significant ways.

It's the nature of the religious-forum beast.

I'm sure you can relate: One minute my winged soul is whirring about with Andreasen's Christology, and the next I'm hearing Heppenstall, Ford, Whidden, or Adams rattling the cage.

OK, a little melodramatic. But I know you can empathize.

Sigh.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111059
04/01/09 12:36 PM
04/01/09 12:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
True believers have "corrupt channels of humanity." You say "corrupt channels of humanity" is sin. So true believers have sin. Yes?

Yes, unknown sin.

Quote:
If anyone is born of God, he cannot sin. John says so.

Is this a joke? If not, please read the context. This isn't what John is saying.

Quote:
T:This isn't really dealing with the historical difficulties of the pre-lapsarian position, is it? But this isn't new. You never have. And this is the real weakness of your position.

A:Well, the prelapsarian position is at least as messed up as the postlapsarian one. So its weakness is not news to me.

I sort of agree with this. I think the pioneers had it right, which is why I keep referencing them. I think all prelapsarians have it wrong, as they have a theology with a foundation of original sin, which can't work (IMO of course).

I see a couple of mistakes among modern day postlapsarians, two big ones which come to mind. First of all, not being careful with language, saying thing like Jesus Christ "had a sinful nature" or and inclination to sin, or things like that. I can think of one time when Ellen White used the word "had" instead of "took," (and this was with "human" instead of "fallen"). I can't think of any times when Jones, Waggoner or Prescott did so. If we say Christ "had" a sinful nature, that can certainly give a wrong impression, and EGW cautioned us to be very careful. I've been using the expression "assumed human nature," as I think that's pretty clear.

Another error is in terms of emphasis. A lot of times the emphasis seems to be on Christ as example. That's certainly worth mentioning, but this wasn't the focus of the 1888 message, not by a long shot. In the well known DA 49 quote, for example, it says Christ took our nature and accepted our heredity to share in our temptations and sorrows (as well as be an example). One hardly ever hears about Christ's sharing in our sorrows. Yet this was the emphasis of our pioneers. For example, in the 1895 sermons, A. T. Jones spoke on this theme in great detail, far more than on Christ as example. George Fifield is another who comes to mind, who dwelt for eloquently and at great length and emphasis on the theme of Christ as a Savior who shares in our sorrows. This is a message we need to hear.

Quote:
T:Surely Andreasen wasn't teaching that our sinful flesh needs to be eradicated.

A:Again, it's not the sinful flesh that's the problem. He taught that the desire for sin is eradicated. Read the quote again if this sounds strange.

If this isn't dealing with genetic tendencies, that makes sense.

Quote:
T:What does "need Christ's blood" mean? Why does anyone "need Christ's blood"?

A:Without the shedding of blood there is no remission.

True believers' prayers need purification, and Christ's blood is the only thing pure enough to cleanse it.

What about the ignorant?

You're sort of answering one religious phrase, which doesn't really mean anything by itself, with another. Obviously literal blood gushing doesn't solve anything. What's the meaning here? How would blood purify prayers? How does it remit sin?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111061
04/01/09 12:50 PM
04/01/09 12:50 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Salut William, I appreciate all the input/history/sources you've shared. Most was going over my head for everything is new to me. Too many new terms to grasp and I have to keep on googling the definition of these. However, most helpfull! Not only to me, but I think it might bring this looonnng discussion closer to a conclusion. I hope smile eh?

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111097
04/01/09 07:22 PM
04/01/09 07:22 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Salut William, I appreciate all the input/history/sources you've shared.

Quite alright, Elle. My pleasure! Don't know that I did anything intentionally, but I think I may understand what you mean.

Because you sound a tad more hopeful, I believe what might have triggered your response was the quasi-tracing of our respective beliefs to some concrete theological system, book, or leading thinker.

In other words, I've unashamedly thrown out the works of Priebe, Paulson, and Andreasen, for example, as respresentative of my faith. Older writers enabling my theology that I could have mentioned are Jones, Miller, and Were.

Knowing my muses, if you will, unquestionably gives you a crystalline paradigm, an advantage allowing you to fairly assess and critique my doctrinal beliefs. Yes?

Now, were I to see who has most influenced you, Rosangela, or Arnold, for example, the most active non-postlapsarians on this thread, it would be rather uncomplicated to determine how best to approach the apparent dissatisfaction you each seemingly have with certain aspects of pre-QOD Adventism.

Having boxes of books from the widest-range of Adventism thinkers, past and present, it wouldn't be a burdensome challenge to determine the theological tentacles each of you are attached to.

And we are each connected to a past, no matter the size of our egos and wishful independence.

I've unmistakably discerned in some a passion for arguing the loopholes and avoiding the obvious—not to mention the hanging shadows of the four aforementioned Evangelical Adventists.

So it would be quite practical (honorable?) to know in full what precise historical figures and facts the non-postlapsarians here could confess to in order to also fairly assess and critique.

Now I wholly appreciate man's natural fear of overexposure and the need for protective boundaries, and I respect these like the next bloke, but as you intimated, identifying the original sources of our inspiration just "might bring this looonnng discussion closer to a conclusion."

Indeed. There is reason for hope.

William

Last edited by William; 04/01/09 07:35 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111110
04/01/09 09:12 PM
04/01/09 09:12 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
To start with, please forgive me for putting you on the spot. I wasn't seeking for you to tell me all your sources and it's just something that happenned. It just dawn on me that you have put yourself in a vulnerable state for the sake to answer me. So I deeply appreciate what you have done and I can see you put others before yourself. Bless you!
Originally Posted By: William
Knowing my muses, if you will, unquestionably gives you a crystalline paradigm, an advantage allowing you to fairly assess and critique my doctrinal beliefs. Yes?
William, I'm hardly aware of any theology and never took pleasure in reading any of those books. So, whatever sources people quote, I hardly have any clue who those people behind the quote believe and reasonings are. And all those terminology, goes way above my head. Maybe you thought I was pulling your leg when I said that all is new to me. I'm pretty straight forward talker. I heard the basic talk about these subject, but never in this dept of discussion as we have it here.

By the sound of your writings, I'm sure you are not a mere reflector of others thoughts.

By you giving me those sources, I was able to read a summary of those men beliefs and the impact on our Church. I do see, as a Church, we are not embrasing the gospel. We have no life and no power in us. I think that's a serious problem. To show you how pathetic we have become, I only heard the gospel message 2 weeks ago after 20 years of Adventism. I knew I didn't know it and I was lacking in some understanding. So I've been praying for months and God unswered me via Pastor Liversidge. So, I am quite satisfied now. I know my Lord will lead me in all understandings now and will show in due season what I need.

Quote:
Now, were I to see who has most influenced you, Rosangela, or Arnold, for example, the most active non-postlapsarians on this thread, it would be rather uncomplicated to determine how best to approach the apparent dissatisfaction you each seemingly have with certain aspects of pre-QOD Adventism.
Oh! they are non-potlapsarians? Ok. To me what they are saying, seems to be in harmony with scripture. However, what do I know, right? I just hopped in this discussion a month ago.

So you mentioned you were Postlapsarians through and through. So Jesus born with sinful flesh and with a brain badly connected with a bent toward sin? If you read my respond to you at the beginning, I ask you "Do you have children?" because I have a hard time to view baby Jesus not sinning with 4000 years of inherited neurons connected to bent towards evil.

Quote:
I've unmistakably discerned in some a passion for arguing the loopholes and avoiding the obvious—not to mention the hanging shadows of the four aforementioned Evangelical Adventists.
? Who do you mean? Jones, Miller, and Were? Waggoner?

Quote:
So it would be quite practical (honorable?) to know in full what precise historical figures and facts the non-postlapsarians here could confess to in order to also fairly assess and critique.
That could help. What I would like to see, is a bullet type of list of what they believe. And if they wish, with their sources would be just great! It's not always obvious from reading the thread especially after 73 pages of it. Man, I'm surprise I'm still hear! I don't usually have this patience. I guess I must be desperate smile

You know, right now, it just so happen that I'm reading a paper regarding the Trinity. That's going to be my next target. Anyway, it is quoting Jn 9:35-38 concerning the born blind man. Note what the Pharisees says.
Originally Posted By: John 9
39. And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
40. And [some] of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
41. Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

And what were their sin? Oh before you see the Pharisees sins, check how they accused the born blind before excommunicating him:
34. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.

Pretty good, eh? And now the great finally, "How can we not have the sins of the Pharisees"
35. Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
36. He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
37. And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
38. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

That's what should be the conclusion and moral of any great discussion. Right?

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111124
04/02/09 02:02 AM
04/02/09 02:02 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
To start with, please forgive me for putting you on the spot. I wasn't seeking for you to tell me all your sources and it's just something that happenned.

Of course, Elle. I'm actually willing to divulge my sources of influence in order to reach that elusive "conclusion" you mentioned earlier. My offer to the others for openness is still, well, open!
Quote:
It just dawn on me that you have put yourself in a vulnerable state for the sake to answer me. So I deeply appreciate what you have done and I can see you put others before yourself. Bless you!

Quite welcome.
Quote:
And all those terminology, goes way above my head. Maybe you thought I was pulling your leg when I said that all is new to me.

Correct, Elle. I got lost in the moment.
Quote:
I do see, as a Church, we are not embrasing the gospel. We have no life and no power in us. I think that's a serious problem.

Totally agree. Just not sure Evangelical Theology offers what Adventism can through the "Everlasting Gospel" (Rev. 14:6) in the context of the Three Angels' Messages with a cleansed sanctuary and soul. But we disagree here (somewhere) so let's not belabor the point. Good?
Quote:
Oh! they are non-potlapsarians? Ok. To me what they are saying, seems to be in harmony with scripture.

I used "non-postlapsarian" because neither Arnold nor Rosangela appear to be true prelapsarians. But now that I remember, sounds like Arnold may have some "potlapsarian" in him after all! Ha. thumbsup
Quote:
So you mentioned you were Postlapsarians through and through. So Jesus born with sinful flesh and with a brain badly connected with a bent toward sin? If you read my respond to you at the beginning, I ask you "Do you have children?" because I have a hard time to view baby Jesus not sinning with 4000 years of inherited neurons connected to bent towards evil.

Oh, of course, sorry. . . have many spiritual children. But whenever thinking about my position on sinful flesh, the brain, children, inherited neurons, or being bent to evil, replay Tomcat's now wonderfully redundant five-point answers to poor Rosengela! Haha. But true. He's done marvelously well in answering for me. Sorry, don't mean to be a prudish clot in not being more articulate.
Quote:
? Who do you mean? Jones, Miller, and Were? Waggoner?

Ah, right. I meant Heppenstall, Whidden, Ford, and Adams, all leading thinkers colored with hues of Augustine's original sin. Or, as Heppenstall wrote in The Man Who Is God, "The specific condition to which Adam brought all men, is original sin."
Quote:
That's what should be the conclusion and moral of any great discussion. Right?

Wholeheartedly agree! But just remember what the Adventist Review's Roy Adams said at the recent QOD Conference, "It’s important that we get our theology right. Defective theology is not a victimless enterprise."

How true.

Yes, there, finally. Whew. Not used to all this writing or replying! Smiling.

William

Last edited by William; 04/02/09 03:49 AM.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111125
04/02/09 02:47 AM
04/02/09 02:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Since you seem to have such a nice rapport going with William, I'm happy to mostly but (the software won't let me spell this correctly) out, but couldn't help commenting again on this:

Quote:
I have a hard time to view baby Jesus not sinning with 4000 years of inherited neurons connected to bent towards evil.

We are told how Jesus remained sinless is a mystery not disclosed to mortals. Now if Christ didn't take our sinful nature, there's no mystery at all, is there?

Also, we're supposed to overcome with the same thousands of years of neurons, aren't we? Are we to do something Christ couldn't have done?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111130
04/02/09 04:23 AM
04/02/09 04:23 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Also, we're supposed to overcome with the same thousands of years of neurons, aren't we? Are we to do something Christ couldn't have done?
Christ did tell us clearly that He had the mind of the Father in Him. So, yes, He did set for us an example, and we need the indwelling of the mind of Christ in us to be victorious as He was.

Right now, I'm not sure where you stand in this because of the other thread you expressed that the indwelling of the spirit was a metaphore. So forgive me if I'm saying things that you agree on.

That's the whole point of beleiving in Jesus, the "only" begotten Son of God, is to come to the realization that we can't overcome. We don't have it in us, not even remotly close to it. That's why we need "Christ in us", the indwelling spirit, to give us a new mind, to sanctified our faculties, and to arouse a new line of action in us. That's the born again experience that we need every day.
Originally Posted By: COL
But man cannot transform himself by the exercise of his will. He possesses no power... The renewing energy must come from God. The change can be made only by the Holy Spirit. All who would be saved,...must submit to the working of this power. {COL 96.2}

As the leaven, when mingled with the meal, works from within outward, ... No mere external change is sufficient to bring us into harmony with God. There are many who try to reform by correcting this or that bad habit...wrong... Our first work is with the heart. {COL 97.1}
The leaven hidden in the flour works invisibly to bring the whole mass under its leavening process; so the leaven of truth works secretly, silently, steadily, to transform the soul. The natural inclinations are softened and subdued. New thoughts, new feelings, new motives, are implanted.
A new standard of character is set up--the life of Christ. The mind is changed; the faculties are roused to action in new lines. Man is NOT endowed with new faculties, but the faculties he has are sanctified. The conscience is awakened. We are endowed with traits of character that enable us to do service for God. {COL 98.3}

Let me paraphrase : Our brain is not changed, according to EGW, New thoughts, new motives, and new feelings are given. Actually these are all Jesus's thoughts, motives, and feelings -- His Mind. Our "faculties"(reason, will, senses, motion,appetite, sexual,...) are "aroused"(note she's saying faculties are not changed, but aroused.)

Here is where we surrender our will to Jesus' mind that is now in you. Then a new line of action takes place. This means a new neuro-pathway is formed. However, the old is still there.

As we enter the same battle, the new neuro-pathway is strenghten and it becomes easier for us to surrender our will in that area the next time. But as soon as we take over our will again, then the pathway will gradually weakened, and regress back to our old ways.

So is it us that is overcoming? No, it is 100% Jesus, and that's why salvation is given to those who believes; whoever enter into faith in Jesus.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111131
04/02/09 04:36 AM
04/02/09 04:36 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I have a hard time to view baby Jesus not sinning with 4000 years of inherited neurons connected to bent towards evil.

We are told how Jesus remained sinless is a mystery not disclosed to mortals. Now if Christ didn't take our sinful nature, there's no mystery at all, is there?
Tom, I decided to not comment anymore on this. To me there's scriptures that seems to say that Jesus was different, however there's other text. So, maybe really, we won't be able to get to the bottom of it. I'm sure this truth will be given to the 144K. I already said what I thought, and beyond that, I'll let you guys continue the discussion. However, if you can provide us with a bullet list of what you believe with your sources, maybe that way, we can work together and be more objective to the matter.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111133
04/02/09 11:58 AM
04/02/09 11:58 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Perhaps Tom could start with a summary of his view. He's better at making summaries than I am.

Page 73 of 100 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!