HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111451
04/09/09 12:13 PM
04/09/09 12:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree there are principles we must follow as we read the Word of God. I take things literally unless it is absurd to do so, or if it contradicts something plainly revealed in the Word. I see nothing absurd or contradictory about believing God literally dwells in us. Do you?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111456
04/09/09 02:21 PM
04/09/09 02:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes. I think the meaning is clearly dealing with the intimate communication God has with us, mind to mind. Any other meaning would to me be absurd.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111461
04/09/09 04:55 PM
04/09/09 04:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Yes, I believe God literally dwells in believers who are abiding in Jesus. God is omnipresent. I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

does that mean He is in the tree and plant?

I doubt it. Vegetation and animals do not have a soul. I suspect this makes a difference. I don't have to be a pantheist to be believe God literally dwells within me. I'm not saying this is what you are implying.

i was addressing your use of omnipresent. is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111470
04/09/09 05:59 PM
04/09/09 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for the candid response to my question. I have no doubt what you believe about it. I appreciate the clarity.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111471
04/09/09 06:20 PM
04/09/09 06:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way. The following insights seem to suggest as much.

The training of children must be conducted on a different principle from that which governs the training of irrational animals. The brute has only to be accustomed to submit to its master; but the child must be taught to control himself. The will must be trained to obey the dictates of reason and conscience. A child may be so disciplined as to have, like the beast, no will of its own, his individuality being lost in that of his teacher. {FE 57.2}

He was placed, as God's representative, over the lower orders of being. They cannot understand or acknowledge the sovereignty of God, yet they were made capable of loving and serving man. {PP 45.1}

The education of children, at home or at school, should not be like the training of dumb animals; for children have an intelligent will, which should be directed to control all their powers. Dumb animals need to be trained, for they have not reason and intellect. But the human mind must be taught self-control. It must be educated to rule the human being, while animals are controlled by a master and are trained to be submissive to him. The master is mind, judgment, and will for his beast. A child may be so trained as to have, like the beast, no will of his own. Even his individuality may be merged in the one who superintends his training; his will, to all intents and purposes, is subject to the will of the teacher. {3T 132.1}

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111487
04/10/09 12:54 AM
04/10/09 12:54 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
[quote=Mountain Man]Yes, I believe God literally dwells in believers who are abiding in Jesus. God is omnipresent. I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

does that mean He is in the tree and plant?

I doubt it. Vegetation and animals do not have a soul. I suspect this makes a difference. I don't have to be a pantheist to be believe God literally dwells within me. I'm not saying this is what you are implying.

i was addressing your use of omnipresent. is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"? [/quote]

Quote:
mm: Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

if God is able to literally be in us because He is omnipresent then why couldnt He also be, literally, in everything else?
wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do
a husband and wife becoming one flesh? i mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.......

another verse:
Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
we know that we cannot physically, or literally, abide in Jesus. so why should we believe that He literally, or physically, abides in us?

Quote:
mm: Vegetation and animals do not have a soul
t: is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?
mm:I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way.

but is that the biblical definition? isnt the biblical definition "breath of life" which even the animals have?

perhaps another topic on mind, soul, spirit?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111509
04/10/09 03:01 AM
04/10/09 03:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do
a husband and wife becoming one flesh? I mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.

You said the same thing a little while ago, which was the first time I had heard this idea. I think it's right on. A husband and wife are not literally one flesh, but it's a wonderful metaphor. We know what it means. Similarly God "dwells is us" conveys a thought of great intimacy, based on communication and a sharing of thoughts/ideas/aspirations.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111535
04/10/09 05:37 PM
04/10/09 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

t: if God is able to literally be in us because He is omnipresent then why couldnt He also be, literally, in everything else?

I suppose being everywhere and being in something is two different realities for God. I don't know. Perhaps God can be in us in the same way He was in Jesus while He sojourned here in the flesh?

Quote:
t: wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do a husband and wife becoming one flesh? i mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.

Comparing two humans becoming one flesh in marriage with God dwelling in a human seems awkward to me. God is so different than a husband or wife that it is difficult for me to compare the two different realities named above.

Quote:
t: another verse: Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

we know that we cannot physically, or literally, abide in Jesus. so why should we believe that He literally, or physically, abides in us?

Because the Holy Spirit is God and is very much different than humans. He has abilities we cannot even dream of.

Quote:
M: Vegetation and animals do not have a soul.

t: is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?

M: I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way.

t: but is that the biblical definition? isnt the biblical definition "breath of life" which even the animals have? perhaps another topic on mind, soul, spirit?

Yes, the term "living soul" is the combination of body and breath and being. And, yes, animals are also a combination of these elements. However, animals and humans are different in significant ways. I assume you agree. The SOP quotes I posted above touches on ways they are different. I suspect these differences account for why God can literally dwell in humans and not in animals. I don't know.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111536
04/10/09 05:47 PM
04/10/09 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Similarly God "dwells is us" conveys a thought of great intimacy, based on communication and a sharing of thoughts/ideas/aspirations.

Why are you so sure God does not literally dwell in us? I do not dispute what you wrote, for God does indeed dwell in us in the way you described, but I'm curious why you dispute what I wrote.

Here are some ways the Bible talks about it:

John
14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
14:11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Romans
8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

1 Corinthians
3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

2 Timothy
1:14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

1 John
3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John
4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [to be] the Saviour of the world.
4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111556
04/10/09 07:19 PM
04/10/09 07:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From the SOP:

Quote:
"Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake." Their faith might safely rest on the evidence given in Christ's works, works that no man, of himself, ever had done, or ever could do. Christ's work testified to His divinity. Through Him the Father had been revealed.(DA 664)

I'm sure if you went through each of the other Scriptures you posted, you would find similar comments.

Let's consider the case of Christ. Do you think it's literally true that Christ dwells in our hearts?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!