HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? #111083
04/01/09 05:43 PM
04/01/09 05:43 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Quote:
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111089
04/01/09 06:53 PM
04/01/09 06:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, I believe He literally dwells within those who are abiding in Jesus.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111116
04/01/09 10:20 PM
04/01/09 10:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There is no house set up in our hearts in which Jesus lives. Jesus is in heaven. The Holy Spirit doesn't "live" in our hearts, like we live in a house. This is a metaphor, designed to convey intimacy. God literally has a relationship with us. He literally communicates with us through the Holy Spirit.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111118
04/01/09 10:51 PM
04/01/09 10:51 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i think that is where a true understanding of the personality of God would come in.

since God is a literal physical Being how could/would He personally dwell in each of us?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111120
04/01/09 11:44 PM
04/01/09 11:44 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Great topic Teresa!

A metaphor? Come on Tom. Is the born again experience a metaphor too?

You came from an Evangelical background, and don't believe in the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ?
There must be something that made you change your mind. If it's not too personal, can you tell us?

Quote:
1Jo 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Jhn 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Jhn 14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
1Cr 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Cr 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.

Blessings
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Elle] #111121
04/02/09 12:41 AM
04/02/09 12:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A metaphor? Come on Tom. Is the born again experience a metaphor too?

"Born again" is a metaphor. Trying to understand it literally was the problem Nicodemus had (The experience isn't a metaphor, however).

Quote:
You came from an Evangelical background, and don't believe in the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ?

I believe in it. I understand it to mean the communion we have with the Spirit by our minds. What do you understand it to mean?

Quote:
There must be something that made you change your mind. If it's not too personal, can you tell us?

Change my mind about what? There are some Evangelical which believe that the Spirit communes with our spirit (akin to our immortal soul) in some mystical way. Is this what you have in mind?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111223
04/04/09 09:55 AM
04/04/09 09:55 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
The texts of Scripture go beyond ideas of communication or communion. They convey the idea of an abiding presence. God not only communicated His will to Israel, He dwelt among them. There was a visible presence which was a symbol of His literal presence in the heart of the believer. Emmanual, one of the prominant names of Christ, is given as an assurance of His literal presence through the Holy Spirit in the soul's temple.

It is related to the born again experience and its a mystery. We don't know exactly how it works. We know we sence God near us with our brains, but our brains are only a physical organ. We tend to think our minds and brains are about the same but the word mind in English is more synonimous with the conscious thought process. God is more intimate than that. We are all individuals and His Spirit connects in unique ways with each individual on all levels, conscious, subconscious, emotional and spiritual.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Charity] #111230
04/04/09 11:34 AM
04/04/09 11:34 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I just want to add that this unique connection is there regardless of whether we're awake or sleeping. If God is in us, it's an ongoing, prevading influence over our emotions, our thoughts and our subconscious beings. It's an indwelling presence and communion of the Spirit with our spirit.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Charity] #111235
04/04/09 02:17 PM
04/04/09 02:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The texts of Scripture go beyond ideas of communication or communion. They convey the idea of an abiding presence.

Which we only know by through our minds.

Quote:
God not only communicated His will to Israel, He dwelt among them. There was a visible presence which was a symbol of His literal presence in the heart of the believer.

Surely you don't mean in the muscle? Or the chest area? The "heart" represents the mind, where a person does his deepest and innermost thinking.

Quote:
Emmanual, one of the prominant names of Christ, is given as an assurance of His literal presence through the Holy Spirit in the soul's temple.

Which is in the mind again, right? For example, when we are told to love the Lord with all our soul, doesn't that mean with all of our being? That is, the entirety of our will, our ability to perceive God and respond to Him.

Quote:
It is related to the born again experience and its a mystery. We don't know exactly how it works. We know we sense God near us with our brains, but our brains are only a physical organ. We tend to think our minds and brains are about the same but the word mind in English is more synonymous with the conscious thought process. God is more intimate than that. We are all individuals and His Spirit connects in unique ways with each individual on all levels, conscious, subconscious, emotional and spiritual.

The mind encompasses all these things; that is, conscious, subconscious (i.e. "subconscious mind"). What is spirituality if not an activity of the mind?

As SDA's we don't believe in a soul or spirit which has a presence in our being independent of the mind. Once our mind is gone, we have no more ability to have communion with God. Ellen White speaks of this, in pointing out the importance of taking care of our health.

I'm not sure how well I've understood your thoughts Mark, so I may be "scratching where it doesn't itch" in some of my comments.

Awaiting your clarification,

Tom

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111238
04/04/09 06:07 PM
04/04/09 06:07 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

we know that the bible did not mean adam and eve, and even less so subsequent married couples, were literally to become one flesh. we understand that to mean that they were to become so close to each other that they would be as if one flesh.

Quote:
Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.

we know that doesnt mean they were one person, or the same person. but so close and connected it was as if they were the same person. and Gods intent for us:

Quote:
Joh 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

and so these verses:
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you....

Quote:
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
interpretation:
Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Quote:
1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1Jn 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

we know that we do not physically dwell in God, and so we should know that neither the HS, Christ, nor God literally dwells in us. but it says if we love one another then we know that God-the Father-"dwells" in us.

it is the closeness we can have that the scriptures are trying to convey to us. one with another but only as we have that oneness with God.

guess we better get busy. well, at least i better. i know im seriously lacking here.........

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111239
04/04/09 08:04 PM
04/04/09 08:04 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Adventist teaching on the nature of man is unscriptural in some respects. The scriptures describe man as a spirit being housed in a physical body. That reality is as much true as our physical being, and because we're spirit beings we can be one in spirit with God. It is the spiritual nature that is born again and recieves the spirit of Christ.

John was 'in the spirit' when he was given the revelation of Christ. The apostles were 'in the spirit'. The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we're the children of God.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Charity] #111243
04/04/09 10:34 PM
04/04/09 10:34 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I agree fully with Mark and I had commented about this in the Trinity- How does our beliefs on this change our thinking? thread. What is stated in the 27 doctrine belief is contrary to scriptures.

1. It is true that Man has his own spirit that doesn't leaves his body. But this is different and seperate from the spirit of God. However, both work together.

2. Man needs the "breath" of God to live, and the Bible makes it clear that the breath(spirit) goes back to God when he dies. This "breath" of God is given to all that lives by his grace. Just because you are walking around doesn't mean you are alive though. It just means that God is keeping your form continually together and keeps all in motion while you may be wicked and cursing his name. The force maintaining all particles(protons, neutrons, quartz, and etc) together is contrary to the law of entropy. This prove there's someone that supply this force constantly and we all know that's Jesus as it is written that "He holds all things together". There's many mysterys in the physsiology of our body which again the only conclusion comes that God keeps all processes in your body in harmony.

3. The born again experience, is another dimension where we are submitting our will to his. By Faith we have eternal life.

4. God only is eternal, immortal and is Life. We are not, we can have immortality through the gift of the continual in-dwelling Spirit of God.

5. I believe that the "breath of life" is breathed via his omni-presence, the Holy Spirit. However, from reading in the 27 Doctrines, it is saying the "breath of life" is simply the life principle. What ????
Quote:
Solomon's statement that the spirit(ruach) returns to God who gave it indicates that what returns to God is simply the life principle that He imparted. There is no indication tht the spirit, or breath, was a conscious entity separate from the body. This ruach can be equated with the "breath of life" that God breathed into the first human being to animate his lifeless body. SDA believe...27, p.354

To me they're saying, the "breath of life" was given only to Adam to animate his lifeless body, that it is not an on-going process? Well, this is new to me. I always understood this as an on-going process. And this statement is contrary to what the Bible teach, physic, and physiology.
Quote:
Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Job 27:3 All the while my breath [is] in me, and the spirit of God [is] in my nostrils;

Ps 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Eccl 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Jm 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Blessings
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Elle] #111249
04/05/09 03:59 AM
04/05/09 03:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think this is what I was thinking of. Took awhile to find it:

Quote:
Physical inaction lessens not only mental but moral power. The brain nerves that connect with the whole system are the medium through which heaven communicates with man and affects the inmost life. Whatever hinders the circulation of the electric current in the nervous system, thus weakening the vital powers and lessening mental susceptibility, makes it more difficult to arouse the moral nature.--Ed 209

The underlined portion is what I was most interested in.

I think I'm on the same page as teresa on this. The Lord has used metaphors to let us know how close He desires to be with us. This closeness is not a physical closeness, but a closeness based on love and common purposes.

God communicates with us through our brains, not an ethereal spirit disconnected from us physically.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111268
04/05/09 11:43 AM
04/05/09 11:43 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Tom, for sure the brain is the control center. This is where He introduces His thoughs, His mind, His feelings, and etc... in us. It is the most effective way of opperating. It is never by force thought, and as we surrender our will, and accept His will, then .... Action. read COL 98 & 99.

However, who is holding your body together? Some non personal force with no brain? Absolutly not. Don't you realize that the Holy Spirit is continually holding your body together. Each particle is held together? Don't you realize that your body's processes is maintain by God?

Now, does your metaphor support the incarnation? When Jesus walk on this earth, the indwelling spirit was not in Him? He walk by the power of his brain in believing in the promises of Scriptures? That's how He got victory, throught the power of His brain, and depending on his brain knowledge of the love of God? not through the Father?
Originally Posted By: Bible
Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:

Jhn 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Jhn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

What's the "POWER to become sons of God " this verse is talking about? v. 13 says very clearly, the power is to be born of God. As Jesus was the incarnation of God in flesh, so are we which is called "the Mystery of God", God spirit is to incarnate in our sinful flesh. That's the only way to be born again. This is our only hope for salvation.

What you are proposing doesn't make sence to me and offer no hope for my salvation. Also, it is not holding scripture together as a whole.

Blessings
Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Elle] #111275
04/05/09 03:48 PM
04/05/09 03:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
At least we agree with each other that what the other is saying makes no sense. I've got no clue what you're trying to say.

Regarding how Jesus Christ overcame, if you're asking me if it involved His brain, if that's what I'm saying, yes, that's what I believe. Jesus Christ overcame by faith, which involved His making decisions, (such as the decision to exercise faith) and that involved His brain. Our overcoming also involves are brains. Without our brains, we have no way to communicate with God.

Regarding God's holding our bodies together, yet, I believe this:

Quote:
God is constantly employed in upholding and using as His servants the things that He has made. He works through the laws of nature, using them as His instruments. They are not self-acting. Nature in her work testifies of the intelligent presence and active agency of a Being who moves in all things according to His will....It is not by inherent power that year by year the earth yields its bounties and continues its march around the sun. The hand of the Infinite One is perpetually at work guiding this planet. It is God's power continually exercised that keeps the earth in position in its rotation....The mechanism of the human body cannot be fully understood; it presents mysteries that baffle the most intelligent. It is not as the result of a mechanism, which, once set in motion, continues its work, that the pulse beats and breath follows breath. In God we live and move and have our being. The beating heart, the throbbing pulse, every nerve and muscle in the living organism, is kept in order and activity by the power of an ever-present God. (MH 416-417)

I've quoted this many times. It's important that we understand God's role in holding nature together, as well as our own bodies.

However, I don't see that this has anything to do with the indwelling of the Spirit. If you are going to say that the Spirit indwells us because He holds our bodies together, then, by the same logic, He indwells animals, since He holds their bodies together as well, and He indwells inanimate objects, like planets, since He keeps them together too.

Quote:
As Jesus was the incarnation of God in flesh, so are we which is called "the Mystery of God", God spirit is to incarnate in our sinful flesh.

I agree with this as well, which is why Christ had to come in flesh like ours, to make this reality a possibility for us.

Quote:
The true faith--the faith of Jesus--is that, far off from God as we are in our sinfulness, in our human nature which He took, He has come to us just where we are; that, infinitely pure and holy as He is, and sinful, degraded, and lost as we are, He in Christ by His Holy Spirit will willingly dwell with us and in us to save us, to purify us, and to make us holy. (W. W. Prescott, from the sermon EGW endorsed).

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111276
04/05/09 03:54 PM
04/05/09 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Repeating something I said earlier:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness.(COL 312)

To me, this last sentence could just as well have said, "This is what it means to have the mind of Christ", or "this is what it means to have the Spirit's indwelling."

These are all metaphors. It is not literally true that we are clothed with a garment of righteousness. This is a metaphor. However, what was written just before is literally true:

"When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life."

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111404
04/08/09 05:02 PM
04/08/09 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, I believe God literally dwells in believers who are abiding in Jesus. God is omnipresent. I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111427
04/08/09 09:39 PM
04/08/09 09:39 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Yes, I believe God literally dwells in believers who are abiding in Jesus. God is omnipresent. I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

does that mean He is in the tree and plant?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111447
04/09/09 02:53 AM
04/09/09 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

Here's this idea again. If you don't understand it, why do you believe it? Why wouldn't another possibility, which you could understand, be better? For example, that a metaphor is involved.

I'm seeing this idea in many contexts. It might not be a bad idea to discuss, in general terms, the concept of how inspired statements should be understood. Where you and are agreeing, again and again, is that you read certain things literally, which even you don't think make sense. The approach I take, when I see that a literal interpretation doesn't make sense, is to consider the possibility that perhaps the inspired statement shouldn't be taken literally. Rather than doing this, you seem to prefer to hold to the idea that the thing is literal, even though it doesn't make sense to you.

So there's a fundamental difference, in general, in regards to how we approach inspired statements. I'm trying to look for general principles which apply across the board, and, on the basis of those statements, understand inspired statements. As opposed to this, you prefer to look at things on a case by case basis, where principles play a secondary role at best.

Now I suppose some of the difference may just have to do with a difference in personality types and perception (i.e., seeing the forest vs. seeing the trees), but I think there are other factors involved as well.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111450
04/09/09 12:08 PM
04/09/09 12:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq

I doubt it. Vegetation and animals do not have a soul. I suspect this makes a difference. I don't have to be a pantheist to be believe God literally dwells within me. I'm not saying this is what you are implying.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111451
04/09/09 12:13 PM
04/09/09 12:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree there are principles we must follow as we read the Word of God. I take things literally unless it is absurd to do so, or if it contradicts something plainly revealed in the Word. I see nothing absurd or contradictory about believing God literally dwells in us. Do you?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111456
04/09/09 02:21 PM
04/09/09 02:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes. I think the meaning is clearly dealing with the intimate communication God has with us, mind to mind. Any other meaning would to me be absurd.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111461
04/09/09 04:55 PM
04/09/09 04:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

I doubt it. Vegetation and animals do not have a soul. I suspect this makes a difference. I don't have to be a pantheist to be believe God literally dwells within me. I'm not saying this is what you are implying.

i was addressing your use of omnipresent. is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111470
04/09/09 05:59 PM
04/09/09 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for the candid response to my question. I have no doubt what you believe about it. I appreciate the clarity.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111471
04/09/09 06:20 PM
04/09/09 06:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way. The following insights seem to suggest as much.

The training of children must be conducted on a different principle from that which governs the training of irrational animals. The brute has only to be accustomed to submit to its master; but the child must be taught to control himself. The will must be trained to obey the dictates of reason and conscience. A child may be so disciplined as to have, like the beast, no will of its own, his individuality being lost in that of his teacher. {FE 57.2}

He was placed, as God's representative, over the lower orders of being. They cannot understand or acknowledge the sovereignty of God, yet they were made capable of loving and serving man. {PP 45.1}

The education of children, at home or at school, should not be like the training of dumb animals; for children have an intelligent will, which should be directed to control all their powers. Dumb animals need to be trained, for they have not reason and intellect. But the human mind must be taught self-control. It must be educated to rule the human being, while animals are controlled by a master and are trained to be submissive to him. The master is mind, judgment, and will for his beast. A child may be so trained as to have, like the beast, no will of his own. Even his individuality may be merged in the one who superintends his training; his will, to all intents and purposes, is subject to the will of the teacher. {3T 132.1}

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111487
04/10/09 12:54 AM
04/10/09 12:54 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
[quote=Mountain Man]Yes, I believe God literally dwells in believers who are abiding in Jesus. God is omnipresent. I do not understand how He literally dwells in us but I believe it just the same.

i was addressing your use of omnipresent. is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"? [/quote]

Quote:
mm: Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

if God is able to literally be in us because He is omnipresent then why couldnt He also be, literally, in everything else?
wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do
a husband and wife becoming one flesh? i mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.......

another verse:
Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
we know that we cannot physically, or literally, abide in Jesus. so why should we believe that He literally, or physically, abides in us?

Quote:
mm: Vegetation and animals do not have a soul
t: is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?
mm:I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way.

but is that the biblical definition? isnt the biblical definition "breath of life" which even the animals have?

perhaps another topic on mind, soul, spirit?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111509
04/10/09 03:01 AM
04/10/09 03:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do
a husband and wife becoming one flesh? I mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.

You said the same thing a little while ago, which was the first time I had heard this idea. I think it's right on. A husband and wife are not literally one flesh, but it's a wonderful metaphor. We know what it means. Similarly God "dwells is us" conveys a thought of great intimacy, based on communication and a sharing of thoughts/ideas/aspirations.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: teresaq] #111535
04/10/09 05:37 PM
04/10/09 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Teresaq, yes, God is omnipresent. I take this literally. That is, I believe He is everywhere at the same time. In the New Earth, I imagine myself sitting on His lap while at the same time He is everywhere.

t: if God is able to literally be in us because He is omnipresent then why couldnt He also be, literally, in everything else?

I suppose being everywhere and being in something is two different realities for God. I don't know. Perhaps God can be in us in the same way He was in Jesus while He sojourned here in the flesh?

Quote:
t: wouldnt it make sense that we view His indwelling as we do a husband and wife becoming one flesh? i mean, it seems to me that the other view may keep us from seeing the real import, what we need to do to make that oneness a reality.

Comparing two humans becoming one flesh in marriage with God dwelling in a human seems awkward to me. God is so different than a husband or wife that it is difficult for me to compare the two different realities named above.

Quote:
t: another verse: Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

we know that we cannot physically, or literally, abide in Jesus. so why should we believe that He literally, or physically, abides in us?

Because the Holy Spirit is God and is very much different than humans. He has abilities we cannot even dream of.

Quote:
M: Vegetation and animals do not have a soul.

t: is there a bible verse that says animals do not have a "soul"?

M: I am equating "soul" with moral consciousness, the ability to reason and choose. Animals and humans are different in this way.

t: but is that the biblical definition? isnt the biblical definition "breath of life" which even the animals have? perhaps another topic on mind, soul, spirit?

Yes, the term "living soul" is the combination of body and breath and being. And, yes, animals are also a combination of these elements. However, animals and humans are different in significant ways. I assume you agree. The SOP quotes I posted above touches on ways they are different. I suspect these differences account for why God can literally dwell in humans and not in animals. I don't know.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111536
04/10/09 05:47 PM
04/10/09 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Similarly God "dwells is us" conveys a thought of great intimacy, based on communication and a sharing of thoughts/ideas/aspirations.

Why are you so sure God does not literally dwell in us? I do not dispute what you wrote, for God does indeed dwell in us in the way you described, but I'm curious why you dispute what I wrote.

Here are some ways the Bible talks about it:

John
14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
14:11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Romans
8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

1 Corinthians
3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

2 Timothy
1:14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

1 John
3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John
4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [to be] the Saviour of the world.
4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111556
04/10/09 07:19 PM
04/10/09 07:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From the SOP:

Quote:
"Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake." Their faith might safely rest on the evidence given in Christ's works, works that no man, of himself, ever had done, or ever could do. Christ's work testified to His divinity. Through Him the Father had been revealed.(DA 664)

I'm sure if you went through each of the other Scriptures you posted, you would find similar comments.

Let's consider the case of Christ. Do you think it's literally true that Christ dwells in our hearts?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111628
04/11/09 06:43 PM
04/11/09 06:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, as I have already said, I believe the Holy Spirit possesses the ability to literally dwell in us in a way that only God can. Exactly how he does it is not clear to me. And, please bear in mind, I also believe as you do that God dwells in us through His word.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111645
04/12/09 12:26 AM
04/12/09 12:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We've seen from the EGW quote that the only way God communicates with us involves the mind, or what I think she calls "brain nerves." So the "dwelling" you have in mind, must not involve communication, being something we cannot perceive. I see no point in that. These thoughts seem rather pantheistic to me, more along the lines of Eastern religions than Christianity.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111700
04/13/09 02:52 PM
04/13/09 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you can disagree with me without insulting me. Just because I believe the Holy Spirit has the ability to literally dwell in us does not make me a pantheist.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111706
04/13/09 05:53 PM
04/13/09 05:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The idea that God can somehow dwell in us without involving our minds seems pantheistic to me. That's what I'm saying. How would this "indwelling" be different than what God would do with an animal, a tree, or even a rock? (I'm not intending this as any sort of insult. Please don't take it as such. I'm simply addressing the idea expressed.)

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111736
04/14/09 03:11 PM
04/14/09 03:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The difference has to with free moral agency. We are conscious beings capable of rendering or withholding love and obedience. God dwells in us in a way that enables us to experience the miracle of love and obedience. The thing that makes it possible and miraculous is the indwelling of God.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111763
04/14/09 10:12 PM
04/14/09 10:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
How is anything that God does here not something which relates to activity of the mind? The aspects you are bringing up, that are different between humans and the other things I mentioned, all involve activities of the mind.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111830
04/16/09 03:09 PM
04/16/09 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the idea you are arguing seems to divorce the miraculous aspect that enables us to resist the unholy clamorings of our fallen flesh and to imitate the lovely character of Christ.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111845
04/16/09 05:48 PM
04/16/09 05:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, the idea you are arguing seems to divorce the miraculous aspect that enables us to resist the unholy clamorings of our fallen flesh and to imitate the lovely character of Christ.

Why do you think this?

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Tom] #111888
04/17/09 02:28 PM
04/17/09 02:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You seem to be saying that there is nothing miraculous about sinners being able to cease sinning and begin imitating Jesus holiness. Your explanations seem to imply learning the truth is what enables them to do it, that knowledge is the source of their victory.

Re: does God literally dwell in us, or by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #111897
04/17/09 03:37 PM
04/17/09 03:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I didn't ask you to repeat what you said, but to explain why you think what you said is the case. I don't understand why you would think the fact that God's dwelling with us involves our minds would imply that God is not doing something miraculous. Can you explain this?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!