HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 88 of 100 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111768
04/15/09 12:48 AM
04/15/09 12:48 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
A:Hence, it is harder for such to avoid sin because he likes it.
T:Harder than for Christ?

A:Of course. The sinner who likes sin would have a much more difficult time rejecting than Jesus whose nature recoiled from evil. It's just like my wife, compared to me, has a much harder time avoiding avocados because she likes it, while just the thought of it entering my mouth makes me want to throw up. Don't you agree that it's much harder for her to avoid avocados?

the keywords for me here are the ones bolded. did Jesus like sin? perhaps to put it a better way, could Jesus see sin for what it was, harmful and all? we dont and cant, always, and even if we do we still are capable of jumping in with both feet.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111769
04/15/09 12:56 AM
04/15/09 12:56 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
But of those I have met, in person and online, few are gracious to those with whom they disagree, allowing for the possibility of some error in their own understanding and embracing the possibility to learn something new.

You run around in the wrong circles! I know many postlaps that are very gracious in this area. For example, Bill Brace, the evangelist for the Massachusettes Conference is one. When I first started studying the 1888 Message, I introduced myself and said something to the effect that it had come to my attention that he was someone who understood the 1888 message, and he denied it, which took me aback. He said that he had been studying the message, and appreciated it (He didn't want to be arrogant and say he understood it is the point).

I know many people like this, fans of the 1888 message, who are gracious and humble in the manner you are describing.

It's difficult on the Internet to come across with any sort of grace, as the medium denies the use of voice or body language, so posts come out several orders dryer and colder than intended.

my experience, and i believe arnolds point, is that far too often we are nice to those in agreement with us or those honestly studying (possible converts) than we are to those who have a different viewpoint. somehow or other we consider too many things "test" questions and if the other side isnt "measuring up" they are automatically condemned to hell.

well, i went far broader than the brother, but that is still my experience. i think pride goes deeper than we know. look at the trinity debate. the lower spiritual stage people of either side can get down-rite murderous toward the other group!!

or if someone thinks another said something derogatory towards the church!! i have no doubt that person would have gladly hurt me for his misunderstanding!!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #111771
04/15/09 01:49 AM
04/15/09 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

A:Of course. The sinner who likes sin would have a much more difficult time rejecting than Jesus whose nature recoiled from evil. It's just like my wife, compared to me, has a much harder time avoiding avocados because she likes it, while just the thought of it entering my mouth makes me want to throw up. Don't you agree that it's much harder for her to avoid avocados?

t:the keywords for me here are the ones bolded. did Jesus like sin? perhaps to put it a better way, could Jesus see sin for what it was, harmful and all? we dont and cant, always, and even if we do we still are capable of jumping in with both feet.

From "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Hebrews 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Hebrews 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.

The key words for me are the ones bolded smile

We need to remember that Christ took our sinful nature upon His own sinless nature, so we need to be careful how we put things. It is true that Christ's own sinless nature recoiled from sin, but Christ took upon that sinless nature our sinful nature, a nature which does not recoil from sin. In addition to this, Christ bore our sin. He came with such a heredity as we have to share in our sorrows and temptations. "If we have to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us." This seems very clear to me. It wasn't easier for Christ to overcome temptation than it is for us

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111773
04/15/09 02:53 AM
04/15/09 02:53 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
So you're sniffling for me.

Nah. Probably had something in my eyes, and the nose thing was probably allergies. cry (Elle: Just don't want the alphas whiffing estrogen. OK?)

Quote:
We're not here to please man's ideology or thoughts. Right!

Amen.

ALRIGHT. Yes. I sniffled for you. There. Happy? Kidding. Back to the dialogical drama!

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111775
04/15/09 04:37 AM
04/15/09 04:37 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

t:the keywords for me here are the ones bolded. did Jesus like sin? perhaps to put it a better way, could Jesus see sin for what it was, harmful and all? we dont and cant, always, and even if we do we still are capable of jumping in with both feet.

It wasn't easier for Christ to overcome temptation than it is for us.

oh. i cant speak for arnold, but that wasnt what i was reading at all. i didnt see any hint that resisting temptation was easier. i saw a different point.

regarding the temptations, what about the garden. the temptation to avoid the cross was very strong, strong enough to cause Him to sweat blood. i think those are the temptations of Christ i need to dwell on.

He suffered hunger and harrassment from satan to a degree i will never know, because i insist on putting things in my mouth that i dont need to. appetite

"if you be the Son of God". the pride i give into so easily and readily....

etc

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111777
04/15/09 05:02 AM
04/15/09 05:02 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Back to the dialogical drama!

For a fresh look at the reason for Christ's incarnate flesh, try Dr. McNulty's atypical teaching from Hebrews:

http://www.audioverse.org/displayrecording/1471/NormanMcNulty-TheHumanityOfChrist/

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111782
04/15/09 03:11 PM
04/15/09 03:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
teresa, if it was easier for Christ to avoid sin, then it was easier for Him to resist temptation because that's what temptation is about: avoiding sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111783
04/15/09 04:03 PM
04/15/09 04:03 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Is it easier to obey or disobey? You make it sound like avoiding sin is incredibly hard, especially for Jesus WHO WAS FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT HIS ENTIRE LIFE. For the unregenerate heart, the unsanctified will, avoiding sin is impossible; but for those who walk in God's light, it is inevitable. That's my position anyway, a non-postlapsarian. It seems the postlaps position teaches that obedience is a hard road, even for Jesus.

BTW, your tidbit about the unfallen tree is very similar to an argument posed by Roy Adams in his book on the nature of Jesus. Yes, the "unfallen" receive stronger temptations. That's what we've been saying all along.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111787
04/15/09 06:12 PM
04/15/09 06:12 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Kirkpatrick is one of those few.

Wow, Arnold. A renewed curiosity got the best of me, and after closely re-inspecting some of your pastor's more provocative sermon titles, I can see why you support his local ministry. Doubtless you must be envied near and far, mate!

Elle: Being a freshly minted post-fall Christian, I suspect you too would like to give these powerful writings a try.

http://www.greatcontroversy.org/

If not, that would be OK as well.

William

Last edited by William; 04/15/09 06:24 PM.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111789
04/15/09 06:58 PM
04/15/09 06:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Is it easier to obey or disobey? You make it sound like avoiding sin is incredibly hard, especially for Jesus WHO WAS FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT HIS ENTIRE LIFE. For the unregenerate heart, the unsanctified will, avoiding sin is impossible; but for those who walk in God's light, it is inevitable.

"Inevitable" is too strong a word. EGW took Waggoner to task for that. But that's the right track.

Quote:
It can never be repeated too often, that under the reign of grace it is just as easy to do right, as under the reign of sin it is easy to do wrong. This must be so, for if there is not more power in grace than there is in sin, then there can be no salvation from sin. But there is salvation from sin. This no one who believes Christianity can deny.

Yet salvation from sin certainly depends upon there being more power in grace than there is in sin. Then, there being more power in grace than there is in sin, it cannot possibly be otherwise than that wherever the power of grace can have control, it will be just as easy to do right as without this it is easy to do wrong.

No man ever yet naturally found it difficult to do wrong. His great difficulty has always been to do right. But this is because man naturally is enslaved to a power--the power of sin--that is absolute in its reign. And so long as that power has sway, it is not only difficult but impossible to do the good that he knows and that he would. But let a mightier power than that have sway, then is it not plain enough that it will be just as easy to serve the will of the mightier power, when it reigns, as it was to serve the will of the other power, when it reigned?

But grace is not simply more powerful than is sin. If this were indeed all, even then there would be fullness of hope and good cheer to every sinner in the world. But this, good as it would be, is not all. It is not nearly all. There is much more power in grace than there is in sin. For "where sin abounded, grace did much more abound." And just as much more power in grace than there is in sin, just so much more hope and good cheer there are for every sinner in the world.

How much more power, then, is there in grace than there is in sin? Let me think a moment. Let me ask myself a question or two. Whence comes grace? From God, to be sure. "Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ." Whence comes sin? From the devil, of course. Sin is of the devil, for the devil sinneth from the beginning. Well, then, how much more power is there in grace than there is in sin? It is as plain as ABC that there is just as much more power in grace than there is in sin, as there is more power in God than there is in the devil. It is therefore also perfectly plain that the reign of grace is the reign of God, and that the reign of sin is the reign of Satan. And is it not therefore perfectly plain also that it is just as easy to serve God by the power of God as it is to serve Satan with the power of Satan?

Where the difficulty comes in, in all this, is that so many people try to serve God with the power of Satan. But that can never be done. "Either make the tree good and his fruit good, or else make the tree corrupt and his fruit corrupt." Men cannot gather grapes of thorns nor figs of thistles. The tree must be made good, root and branch. It must be made new. "Ye must be born again." "In Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision, but a new creature." Let no one ever attempt to serve God with anything but the present, living power of God that makes him a new creature, with nothing but the much more abundant grace that condemns sin in the flesh and reigns through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord. Then the service of God will indeed be in "newness of life." Then it will be found that His yoke is indeed "easy" and His burden "light." Then His service will be found indeed to be with "joy unspeakable and full of glory."

Did Jesus ever find it difficult to do right? Every one will instantly say, No. But why? He was just as human as we are. He took flesh and blood the same as ours. "The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us." And the kind of flesh that He was made in this world was precisely such as was in this world. "In all things it behooved him to be made like unto his brethren." "In all things!" It does not say, In all things but one. There is no exception. He was made in all things like as we are. He was of Himself as weak as we are, for He said, "I can of mine own self do nothing."

Why, then, being in all things like as we are, did He find it always easy to do right? Because He never trusted to Himself, but His trust was always in God alone. All His dependence was upon the grace of God. He always sought to serve God, only with the power of God. And therefore the Father dwelt in Him, and did the works of righteousness. Therefore it was always easy for Him to do right. But as He is, so are we in this world. He has left us an example, that we should follow His steps. "It is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure," as well as in Him. All power in heaven and in earth is given unto Him, and He desires that you may be strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power. "In him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily," and He strengthens you with might by His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your heart by faith, that you may be "filled with all the fullness of God."

True, Christ partook of the divine nature and so do you if you are a child of promise and not of the flesh, for by the promises ye are partakers of the divine nature. There was nothing given to Him in this world and He had nothing in this world that is not freely given to you or that you may not have.

All this is in order that you may walk in newness of life, that henceforth you may not serve sin, that you may be the servant of righteousness only, that you may be freed from sin, that sin may not have dominion over you, that you may glorify God on the earth, and that you may be like Jesus. And therefore "unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. . . . Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ." And I "beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain."
(A. T. Jones "Shall it Be Grace or Sin? RH 9/1/96)

Quote:
That's my position anyway, a non-postlapsarian. It seems the postlaps position teaches that obedience is a hard road, even for Jesus.

Nope! This isn't what postlaps teach, as seen by the above.

The prelap idea is that is was easy for Christ but not for us?

Page 88 of 100 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!