HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 89 of 100 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111793
04/15/09 07:16 PM
04/15/09 07:16 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
NOOOOOOOO!!!

Memorable, mate!

TY

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111794
04/15/09 07:24 PM
04/15/09 07:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
BTW, your tidbit about the unfallen tree is very similar to an argument posed by Roy Adams in his book on the nature of Jesus. Yes, the "unfallen" receive stronger temptations. That's what we've been saying all along.

Unfallen trees which had (or took) sinful natures. As you've been pointing out, one with an unfallen nature easily avoids sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111796
04/15/09 07:42 PM
04/15/09 07:42 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Did Jesus ever find it difficult to do right? Every one will instantly say, No. But why? He was just as human as we are. He took flesh and blood the same as ours. "The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us." And the kind of flesh that He was made in this world was precisely such as was in this world. "In all things it behooved him to be made like unto his brethren." "In all things!". . .

All this is in order that you may walk in newness of life, that henceforth you may not serve sin, that you may be the servant of righteousness only, that you may be freed from sin, that sin may not have dominion over you, that you may glorify God on the earth, and that you may be like Jesus.

Interestingly, McNulty uses the same line of thought (with a unique twist) in his HOC sermon: Christ can be wholly trusted because He is exactly like us and a merciful High Priest who is blotting out our sins on the DOA.

I don't believe original sin theorists from whatever persuasion—or even with any persuasion—can claim the same.

And ultimately isn't this the true genius of authentic Adventism?

A new generation of intelligent, well-educated, Bible-believing students all over the world are crying, "Yes!"

Ooh. Just got a little tingle.

William

Last edited by William; 04/15/09 08:09 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111798
04/15/09 08:36 PM
04/15/09 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A new generation of intelligent, well-educated, Bible-believing students all over the world are crying, "Yes!"

Either that or

Quote:
NOOOOOOOO!!!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111801
04/15/09 09:51 PM
04/15/09 09:51 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
teresa, if it was easier for Christ to avoid sin, then it was easier for Him to resist temptation because that's what temptation is about: avoiding sin.

did Jesus like sin?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111802
04/15/09 09:54 PM
04/15/09 09:54 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
BTW, your tidbit about the unfallen tree is very similar to an argument posed by Roy Adams in his book on the nature of Jesus. Yes, the "unfallen" receive stronger temptations. That's what we've been saying all along.

Unfallen trees which had (or took) sinful natures. As you've been pointing out, one with an unfallen nature easily avoids sin.

except for adam and eve, and oh yes, those angels who fell for satans lies. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111803
04/15/09 10:52 PM
04/15/09 10:52 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Quote:
Seriously, be careful where you tread. I will not say that you cannot have a viable Christian experience being a postlapsarian, as has been said about me for being a non-postlapsarian. But of those I have met, in person and online, few are gracious to those with whom they disagree, allowing for the possibility of some error in their own understanding and embracing the possibility to learn something new.
Arnold, being a postlapsarian or a non-postlapsararian, does it imply that you have certain belief in regards Victory over sin? Can a postlapsarian believe in 100% Victory in Jesus like I now embrace wholeheartedly?

Elle, you ask a lot of questions. That's a good thing. The wise listen more than they speak. That kind of indicts a bunch of us, doesn't it? LOL

Anyway, I'll take a shot at some of your questions. And I'm sure my answers won't fit everyone because non-postlapsarians are even more fragmented in their theories than postlapsarians. So my answers will only apply to me; others can and will disagree. But that's OK; we have much to learn, and much more to unlearn.

Almost forgot to answer the question.... Victory over sin is definitely a postlaps calling card; I doubt you'll find one who didn't believe in such victory. But I would characterize postlaps as tending more toward victory LIKE Jesus as opposed to victory IN Jesus. There is a greater emphasis on what Jesus does IN and THROUGH us than on what Jesus has done FOR us. Of course, it may just be a matter of emphasis, but I won't be surprised if there exists postlaps who believe that their good works, empowered by Jesus of course, go part of the way toward their salvation. But don't ask me to name names.

OTOH, many non-postlaps do not believe in personal victory over sin. They believe that Jesus overcame sin, and therefore they do not need to. More than that, some believe that they are unable to overcome sin. I would call that, victory BY Jesus: Jesus lived for them, obeyed for them, died for them, etc.

Then there are postlaps who believe in victory over sin, but not necessarily victory LIKE Jesus. The victory is a combination of what Jesus already did, and what He does today in each believer.

I've been listening to Liversidge the last few days. I would be surprised if he was postlap.

Jesus depended 100% on His Father.

I think almost all would agree with this. The differences lie in what Jesus was depending on His Father for.

Or does it imply that I believe in my works?

The role of works in the plan of redemption is something that you should definitely look into. Do good works precede salvation, or proceed from salvation?

Can you tell me exactly what a non-postlapsarian believe that differ so much from the postlapsarian?. Does it all pivot on "He, as the second Adam, did not possess a single taint of our sinful propensities and passions"? I know this phrase is a biggy and is responsible for over half this thread.
I know the whole focuss of the debate is also in regards to the definition of sin and that it is a moral/spiritual dimension. I too believe in that. I would appreciate some light.

The root of the problem, I believe, is the definition of sin. We all agree that Jesus didn't sin, but since we have different ideas regarding what constitutes sin, we can't quite agree on what He didn't have. Proceeding from that doctrine, there will also be disagreements on what we, regular, non-divine people are able to overcome.

Let's take your example. Is having sinful propensities a sin? If the answer is No, then Jesus could have had them. And postlaps teach that He did. Therefore, we also will have such propensities.

If the answer is yes, then Jesus could not have had them. That's what non-postlaps teach. That belief opens up the possibility of the rest of us also being freed from such propensities. Of course, many prelaps do not take it that far.

I've gone on long enough. Did I say that the wise listen more than they speak? But one last thing before I go.

Here are some inspired descriptions of the nature Adam had after he fell:
Quote:
But should they once yield to temptation, their nature would become so depraved that in themselves they would have no power and no disposition to resist Satan. {PP 53.2}

When man transgressed the divine law, his nature became evil, and he was in harmony, and not at variance, with Satan. There exists naturally no enmity between sinful man and the originator of sin. {GC 505.2}

What's sinful human nature like?

* depraved
* no disposition to resist Satan
* evil
* in harmony with Satan

That's why I don't believe Jesus was like Adam after his fall. Jesus came to fix what was broken, not to be one of the broken. He came to show us what we can be, not what evil Adam was.

Last edited by asygo; 04/16/09 06:08 AM. Reason: clarity

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111804
04/15/09 11:14 PM
04/15/09 11:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Almost forgot to answer the question.... Victory over sin is definitely a postlaps calling card; I doubt you'll find one who didn't believe in such victory. But I would characterize postlaps as tending more toward victory LIKE Jesus as opposed to victory IN Jesus.

I think this is an unfair characterization. The more I read your posts, the more it strikes me that you must have connections wish some specific set of postlap thinking, as you write many of these characterizations which simply don't fit the people I know at all. Also when I read the writings of Jones, Waggoner, Prescott and Fifield, to name a few, I don't see even a trace of this idea. So I don't know where you're getting it from, other than from postlaps that I'm not acquainted with. It's certainly a wrong characterization. I'm not saying there aren't some postlaps who would fall into this category, just that it's unfair to make this as a general characterization, and they don't fit either people I know personally nor people whose works I've read.

Quote:
There is a greater emphasis on what Jesus does IN and THROUGH us than on what Jesus has done FOR us.

Same comment. Have you read Jones, Waggoner, Prescott and/or Fifield (things they wrote in the 1890's especially). I can't think of anywhere in the writings of these folks that would fall into this category. OTOH I could quote many things that do not.

Of modern day writers R. J. Wieland and Ty Gibson spring to mind as two who definitely do not have this emphasis either.

I don't know where you're getting your ideas from. Obviously from people you've been acquainted with, but not people I'm acquainted with.

Quote:
Of course, it may just be a matter of emphasis, but I won't be surprised if there exists postlaps who believe that their good works, empowered by Jesus of course, go part of the way toward their salvation. But don't ask me to name names.

Do you mean "don't ask me to name names" that you can't think of anyone who fits the bill, or you prefer not to name names, although you could if you so chose? I can certainly name many names that *don't* fit into this (Sequeira is another one that comes to mind; Finneman as well; Short is another, in addition to those already mentioned).

Quote:
Let's take your example. Is having sinful propensities a sin? If the answer is No, then Jesus could have had them. And postlaps teach that He did.

It depends upon what you mean by "sinful propensities." If you mean inherited tendencies to sin, yes, postlaps agree that Christ had these. However, if you mean "propensities of sin," they wouldn't:

Quote:
Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin.(Baker letter)

Postlapsarians understand this to mean propensities due do one's own sin, not tendencies passed genetically. I wouldn't touch "sinful propensisites" with a 10 foot pole, and all the postlapsarians I know would likewise not use that expression in relation to Jesus Christ.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111805
04/15/09 11:26 PM
04/15/09 11:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
teresa, if it was easier for Christ to avoid sin, then it was easier for Him to resist temptation because that's what temptation is about: avoiding sin.

t:did Jesus like sin?

Jesus took a sinful nature which was predisposed to sin, as ours is.

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us. As man, He met temptation, and overcame in the strength given Him from God. He says, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Ps. 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God. (DA 24)

If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Christ took our fallen nature in order to accomplish this.

If it were easy for Christ to avoid sin, as opposed to us, because He didn't like it, then it's easy to see that we have a burden to bear that Christ did not have to endure, wouldn't it? Christ "pleased not Himself." He denied Himself. He did not do "His own will." This was difficult for Him in the same way it is difficult for us, and for the same reason; it was a like trial to endure, such as we have.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111806
04/15/09 11:32 PM
04/15/09 11:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:BTW, your tidbit about the unfallen tree is very similar to an argument posed by Roy Adams in his book on the nature of Jesus. Yes, the "unfallen" receive stronger temptations. That's what we've been saying all along.

T:Unfallen trees which had (or took) sinful natures. As you've been pointing out, one with an unfallen nature easily avoids sin.

t:Except for Adam and Eve, and oh yes, those angels who fell for Satan's lies.

This is missing the very point. Avoiding sin was something for easy for Adam and Eve; they sinned in spite of this. God did not give them some very difficult task to do, but a simple one. The situation for Christ was completely different. *His* temptations were like ours.

Page 89 of 100 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!