HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 99 of 100 1 2 97 98 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111985
04/19/09 02:37 PM
04/19/09 02:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
What does this have to do with whether or not Christ took our sinful nature? Regarding the phase of Christ's life you're wanting to delve into, we're told that how Christ did not sin is a mystery no explained to mortals.

I've told you in the past that the text you quote doesn't say what you want it to say.

"These words are not addressed to any human being, except to the Son of the Infinite God. Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption. He was tempted in all points like as man is tempted, yet He is called that holy thing. It is a mystery that is left unexplained to mortals that Christ could be tempted in all points like as we are, and yet be without sin." {13MR 19.1}

The text evidently refers to His whole life, not just to His childhood.

"The humanity of Christ is called 'that holy thing.' The inspired record says of Christ, 'He did no sin,' he 'knew no sin,' and 'in him was no sin.'" {ST, January 16, 1896 par. 7}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111986
04/19/09 02:43 PM
04/19/09 02:43 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If Original Sin were true, it would cause a logical contradiction to the idea that Christ took our sinful nature.

Then it's OK for you to use a circular reasoning. "Original sin can't be true because if it were Christ couldn't have been born with sinful tendencies in His humanity."
Being born with sinful tendencies in His humanity would be a logical contradiction to the idea that Christ's humanity didn't possess sinful propensities, to the idea that the humanity He took was without a taint of sin.
Christ took our sinful nature - He took the form of man, not the defective character with which man is born.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111987
04/19/09 03:07 PM
04/19/09 03:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This was a private letter, of which the circumstances under which it was written we do not know. Ellen White told us if we wanted to know her thoughts on a matter to consult her published works.

If we couldn't know her thoughts on a matter through her other manuscripts, she wouldn't have authorized the publication of compilations from them.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #111988
04/19/09 03:18 PM
04/19/09 03:18 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
E: There are things that are not known to us. And I'm not here to prove Jesus had an advantage or disadvantage over us. To me, that's irrelevant. Jesus was definetly different than John the baptist or any of us because He never sinned from day 1 and he was the "son of God". All I know is what scripture says and that's enough for me.
R: Elle, you quoted Heb 2:17 and said it was an obligation for Jesus to come as one of us, and now you say that it's irrelevant if Christ had an advantage over us?.
Yes it is irrelevant because Jesus fullfilled Heb 2:17 and this argument having an advantage or disadvantage has nothing to do that he didn't come in the Flesh. He came in the flesh and lived like one of us. However, He was the son of God also which makes him different from us. Despite his divinity, he fullfilled Heb
2:17 and other scriptures. If he wouldn't of have, then we wouldn't be here.

Quote:
E: First of all, we are people of little faith. Jesus said if our faith was as big as a mustard seed we could do all kind of stuff. So Satan don't need to tempt us in regards to authority, because we think we don't have any. However, with Jesus, Jesus knew he had authority plus being the "Son of God" and that's why Satan tempt Jesus with his authority because the rest Jesus didn't have. For sure, Jesus saw through the temptation. However, Jesus was quite hungry and it was still a temptation for Him because he had our bodies.
R: Elle, Moses parted the Red Sea, Elijah commanded fire to come down from heaven, and we have several other people mentioned in the hall of faith of Hebrews 11. But Satan doesn't tempt us to command any such thing because we know the power to do it is not in us. It's not authority which is involved here, but power.
About Jesus - He indeed had authority, and when He commanded Satan to leave, he left. But in the case of the stones more than authority was necessary - creative power was necessary. If He knew He didn't have creative power, I don't see how this could have been a temptation to Him.

Because of phi 2:7 and other scriptures, I will believe that Jesus did not have omni-presence, omni-potence, immortality, and omniscience. If you want to believe that Jesus had omnipotence and that what Satan was tempting him, then you can read the scriptures that way. That temptation can be read in either way. I choose to read it according to the light of other scripture and according to Heb 2:17. My strongest problem with that type of belief is Jesus could of not been able to die if he had immortality. It just doesn't work. It does not harmonize with the rest of scriptures.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #111989
04/19/09 03:27 PM
04/19/09 03:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This was a private letter. If she had wanted us to come to conclusions based on private letters, she wouldn't have given us counsel to consult her published works to know her thoughts on a case. To prefer a private letter over a published book is absurd.

In the consideration of the opinions of any writer, there is an order of preference. First comes books. Then come articles and other similar published works. At the bottom of the heap are private letters. If we knew something of the circumstances of what Baker was teaching, that would provide a context for her remarks. But we don't, so people can make up whatever interpretations they want, which is just what's been done, which is why the whole idea of investigating a private letter for which we don't know the circumstances should be rejected on the face of it.

At the time of the Baker letter, Ellen White endorsed Prescott's sermon that Christ came in sinful flesh. Prescott's thoughts and logic were typically postlapsarian. There's no way Ellen White would simultaneously endorse Prescott's sermon while taking Baker to task for the same things that she was endorsing Prescott for saying.

Also during this same time period the Holy Flesh controversy arose. There's no way she would have approved of the work Jones, Waggoner, Haskell, and others were doing, bringing forth the postlapsarian line of defense, if she really agreed with Donnell and thought Haskell was wrong. The idea that she would privately correct Baker, while conveying the false impression that she agreed with Jones, Waggoner, Haskell, and others is absurd.

She also was endorsing Jones and Waggoner's soteriology, repearing their logic in her own works, during this same time period. If she really believed Luther's Gospel was more correct than Jones and Waggoner's, why would she endorse Jones and Waggoner the way she did, when they were so wrong?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111990
04/19/09 03:47 PM
04/19/09 03:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If Original Sin were true, it would cause a logical contradiction to the idea that Christ took our sinful nature.

R:Then it's OK for you to use a circular reasoning. "Original sin can't be true because if it were Christ couldn't have been born with sinful tendencies in His humanity."

If A implies B, then if B if false, A must be false. A in this case is "Original Sin is true" and B is "Christ did not take sinful flesh."

Here's the argument I'm making. If Original Sin were true, then it could not be the case that Christ took our sinful nature, because in this case He would be guilty of sin, would have been tempted from within, would have had tendencies to sin which the flesh has. This is how Original Sin proponents see things. The argument that Christ did not take our sinful nature is predicated on Original Sin being true.

We can go the other direction. If Christ did take our sinful nature, if He was tempted from within, if His flesh did have the same genetically passed hereditary tendencies that ours has, then Original Sin must be false.

Haskell read from "The Desire of Ages" and concluded that Ellen White was speaking of "fallen humanity, with its hereditary inclinations." Given this is the case, Original Sin cannot be true.

Quote:
Being born with sinful tendencies in His humanity would be a logical contradiction to the idea that Christ's humanity didn't possess sinful propensities, to the idea that the humanity He took was without a taint of sin.

This assumes the Original Sin idea of "taint of sin," which Ellen White and her contemporaries did not have. For example:

Quote:
He was "touched with the feeling of our infirmities," because He "was in all points tempted like as we are." When He was tempted, he felt the desires and the inclinations of the flesh, precisely as we feel them when we are tempted. For "every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lusts [his own desires and inclinations of the flesh] and enticed." James 1:14. All this Jesus could experience without sin, because to be tempted is not sin. It is only "when lust hath conceived," when the desire is cherished, when the inclination is sanctioned -- only then it is that "it bringeth forth sin." And Jesus never even in a thought cherished a desire or sanctioned an inclination of the flesh. Thus in such flesh as ours He was tempted in all points as we are and yet without a taint of sin.(A. T. Jones, Lessons on Faith)

You can see there's no contradiction. Christ took our sinful nature, with its desires and inclinations, yet did not have a "taint of sin."

Quote:
Christ took our sinful nature - He took the form of man, not the defective character with which man is born.

"Our sinful nature" was understood as including the tendencies and desires of the flesh. See above.

No one has asserted Christ took a defective character. That's a red herring.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111994
04/19/09 05:08 PM
04/19/09 05:08 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
...Ellen White told us if we wanted to know her thoughts on a matter to consult her published works. If we wish to know her thoughts on the nature of Christ, we should, above all, consult "The Desire of Ages."

I was a prelapsarian before reading that book.

thats funny, because no matter how many times i have read the book it has not made me a postlapsarian. i guess it shows how we each can read things differently. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #111995
04/19/09 05:18 PM
04/19/09 05:18 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
There are things that are not known to us. And I'm not here to prove Jesus had an advantage or disadvantage over us. To me, that's irrelevant. Jesus was definetly different than John the baptist or any of us because He never sinned from day 1 and he was the "son of God". All I know is what scripture says and that's enough for me.

Elle, you quoted Heb 2:17 and said it was an obligation for Jesus to come as one of us, and now you say that it's irrelevant if Christ had an advantage over us?

Quote:
First of all, we are people of little faith. Jesus said if our faith was as big as a mustard seed we could do all kind of stuff. So Satan don't need to tempt us in regards to authority, because we think we don't have any. However, with Jesus, Jesus knew he had authority plus being the "Son of God" and that's why Satan tempt Jesus with his authority because the rest Jesus didn't have. For sure, Jesus saw through the temptation. However, Jesus was quite hungry and it was still a temptation for Him because he had our bodies.

Elle, Moses parted the Red Sea, Elijah commanded fire to come down from heaven, and we have several other people mentioned in the hall of faith of Hebrews 11. But Satan doesn't tempt us to command any such thing because we know the power to do it is not in us. It's not authority which is involved here, but power.
About Jesus - He indeed had authority, and when He commanded Satan to leave, he left. But in the case of the stones more than authority was necessary - creative power was necessary. If He knew He didn't have creative power, I don't see how this could have been a temptation to Him.

if i may add to your thought, roseangela. when Jesus commanded satan to get behind Him He did it in His own authority, yet when we "command" anything it is in the authority of Jesus" name=authority=character. one such verse:
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Jesus never said, in the name of the Father......
yet we are to always say, in the name of Jesus....

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #111997
04/19/09 05:33 PM
04/19/09 05:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Thats funny, because no matter how many times i have read the book it has not made me a postlapsarian. i guess it shows how we each can read things differently.

Yes, I do think it's odd. There are other Calvinistic ideas which have come into the church as well, which I gave up when I became an SDA. It just makes me scratch my head to see these ideas which I gave up to become an SDA reappear. (For example, the idea that Christ's Second Coming is simply a "matter of time.")

I don't see how any one can read this:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us.

or this

Quote:
Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.(DA 49)

and think that Christ didn't take our fallen nature.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112001
04/19/09 07:00 PM
04/19/09 07:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Here's the argument I'm making. If Original Sin were true, then it could not be the case that Christ took our sinful nature, because in this case He would be guilty of sin, would have been tempted from within, would have had tendencies to sin which the flesh has. This is how Original Sin proponents see things. The argument that Christ did not take our sinful nature is predicated on Original Sin being true.

No, this is not how Original Sin proponents see things.
Ellen White says, in the Baker letter, that Christ was not a man with the propensities of sin – so this precludes the existence of any sinful propensity in His humanity - whether genetic, inherited, acquired or whatever.

She also says that

Christ “had not taken on Him even the nature of angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin” (Ms 57, 1890).

And

”He humbled Himself in taking the nature of man in his fallen condition, but He did not take the taint of sin.” {20MR 324.1}

So it’s very clear that in the humanity Christ took (not in His divinity nor in the humanity He developed) there was no taint of sin, and this is the only difference between His humanity and ours. So she considers something we are born with as being a taint of sin. It’s obvious that this could only be the sinful nature.

Therefore, the concept of Original Sin is predicated on two kinds of Ellen White statements: 1) those which say that Christ’s humanity never had any propensities for sin, and 2) those which say that Christ took humanity without the taint of sin, and was born without the taint of sin.

Page 99 of 100 1 2 97 98 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!