HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, Karen Y, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 49 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112462
04/30/09 07:50 PM
04/30/09 07:50 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Ellen White observed, “It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ’s nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression.” (UL 18) This insight seems to suggest whatever disadvantage we inherited from Adam is more than offset by partaking of the divine nature. IOW, the fact Adam possessed a sinless nature does not seem to mean he was able to attain unto heights of sinlessness not available to us in Christ. Am I hearing her right?

Incredible quotation, I agree. Are you hearing her right? Why wouldn't you be, mate? Or is there a fragmenting endpoint I don't see for lack of a higher quotient. smile

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112464
04/30/09 08:10 PM
04/30/09 08:10 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:

Willy, I don't think we have ever spoken to each other on this forum. That is, I've never responded to one of your posts and you haven't responded to one of my posts. At least, I don't recall. At any rate, I appreciate your sweet and gentle disposition. Thank you.

Oh, your welcome. How thoughtful of you, thank you. Though instead of "sweet and gentle," no doubt what you had in mind and really meant is "rugged and tough as nails," right?

Right?

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112466
04/30/09 09:03 PM
04/30/09 09:03 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Also, I hasten to add that I think your methodology here is terrible. You should be looking at "The Desire of Ages" to understand her Christology, not an unpublished private letter to someone whose teachings are unknown.

There are basic processes when conducting professional research of any kind, obviously. Gathering data is one of them. What historical researcher, for example, would dare test and analyze their hypothesis or finalize a conclusion based on ANYTHING unpublished? As students we're taught that any faulty postulation has zero credibility in serious research. And I certainly don't mean to sound smug or demean anyone in stating this most elementary of points. Yes?

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112467
04/30/09 09:06 PM
04/30/09 09:06 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
anyway, somehow weve gotten offtrack, yet again. several times it has gotten offtrack from my original question. my original question was on page 107 #112156 and has gone in strange directions for such a simple question.

This thread has, a long time ago, because a general purpose thread dealing with Christ's human nature. I'm not understanding why you think the thread has gone off track, as we're still dealing with this topic. Yes, you asked a question on page #107, but many other people have made points and asked questions since then. I don't understand why you would think your single question has been what's been driving the thread since then. A lot of questions have come up.

how do you equate my original question with the thread in general?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112468
04/30/09 10:02 PM
04/30/09 10:02 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:

Is it your thought that Ellen White was correcting Baker on the same position that she was endorsing Prescott regarding? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

There doesn't appear to be any lasting function for this kind of rhetorical ineptness. Why? Because any clear-minded, truth-seeking researcher will admit that in the Christological debate,

"The choice of the devout Adventist is therefore between Questions on Doctrine and Desire of Ages" (Zurcher).

Quite frankly, any other source of resolution is simply shortsighted and naive.

William

Last edited by William; 04/30/09 11:56 PM.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112469
05/01/09 12:53 AM
05/01/09 12:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
How do you equate my original question with the thread in general?

As one question among many. I think it was a good question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112470
05/01/09 01:01 AM
05/01/09 01:01 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Those with other preferences for sources of theology will have to forgive my regular usage of those connected to the youth conference movement. As a young person, it's not unheard of to gravitate toward those with a similar, though maybe not identical or even perfect, theological background. So it is through this homogeneous compulsion (do not like the way that sounded!) that I quote a compelling perspective on the soteriology of Steps to Christ from one of GYC's supporting architects:

[Titus 3 quoted] No, we are not saved by any merit from any of our own works done apart from God. But look at the pictures in these texts. Justification is here paired with metaphors of washing, of renewal, of a working of the Holy Spirit in us. No wonder Ellen G. White balances these things beautifully in Steps to Christ, pp. 62, 63:

"It was possible for Adam, before the fall, to form a righteous character by obedience to God’s law. But he failed to do this, and because of his sin our natures are fallen and we cannot make ourselves righteous. Since we are sinful, unholy, we cannot perfectly obey the holy law. We have no righteousness of our own with which to meet the claims of the law of God. But Christ has made a way of escape for us. He lived on earth amid trials and temptations such as we have to meet. He lived a sinless life. He died for us, and now He offers to take our sins and give us His righteousness. If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned.

"More than this, Christ changes the heart. He abides in your heart by faith. You are to maintain this connection with Christ by faith and the continual surrender of your will to Him; and so long as you do this, He will work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. So you may say, ‘The life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.’ Galatians 2:20. So Jesus said to His disciples, ‘It is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.’ Matthew 10:20. Then with Christ working in you, you will manifest the same spirit and do the same good works—works of righteousness, obedience.

"So we have nothing in ourselves of which to boast. We have no ground for self-exaltation. Our only ground of hope is in the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and in that wrought by His Spirit working in and through us."

Did you hear what inspiration said? “Our only ground of hope is in the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and in that wrought by His Spirit working in and through us.” We must have the counting and we must have the inward working. Together, these constitute “our only ground of hope.” On justification, the following also helps us.

"God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul" (Faith and Works, p. 100).

One advocate of the New Theology position, says that this topic “is the great divide.” I concur, not in that this was the great divide upon which the Protestant Reformation was shaped, for it was not; but in that today it divides within the Church the New Theology advocates from the advocates of authentic Seventh-day Adventism. And which does Mrs. White ask? the “counted-only” question, “How shall a man be counted righteous?” or the “counted and changed” question, “How shall a man be made righteous?” Steps to Christ answers:

"How shall a man be just with God? How shall the sinner be made righteous?" (Steps to Christ, p. 23).

End Quote

A sidenote question begs, Isn't the Steps to Christ gospel the same one that Jones and Waggoner preached?

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112471
05/01/09 03:08 AM
05/01/09 03:08 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
I quote a compelling perspective on the soteriology of Steps to Christ

Strangely, it is the soteriology of Steps to Christ that keeps me from accepting the Christology presented by many postlapsarians. Note these passages from two chapters near and dear to most "old theology" proponents:
Quote:
The whole heart must be yielded to God, or the change can never be wrought in us by which we are to be restored to His likeness. By nature we are alienated from God. The Holy Spirit describes our condition in such words as these: "Dead in trespasses and sins;" "the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint;" "no soundness in it." We are held fast in the snare of Satan, "taken captive by him at his will." Ephesians 2:1; Isaiah 1:5, 6; 2 Timothy 2:26. God desires to heal us, to set us free. But since this requires an entire transformation, a renewing of our whole nature, we must yield ourselves wholly to Him. {SC 43.2}

The law of God is an expression of His very nature; it is an embodiment of the great principle of love, and hence is the foundation of His government in heaven and earth. {SC 60.2}

The closer you come to Jesus, the more faulty you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature. {SC 64.2}

It should be clear that in terms of soteriology - what must we do to be saved - the nature of sinful man is the antithesis of the nature of God. Hence, we need to be healed, we need to be set free, we need a "renewing of our whole nature." And the result of all this change is that we become like Christ, making it obvious that in terms of the "soteriological nature" Jesus was not like sinful man.

Veering a little bit away from SC, but not from soteriology, we have MM's quote:
Quote:
It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression. {UL 18.3}

We may - must - possess Christ's nature. That means we don't possess it by default. That also means that what we do possess by default is not what Jesus possessed by default. At least, not when we're talking about how to be saved.

It is a nature far above unfallen Adam's nature. Obviously, I hope, this cannot be Adam's fallen, messed up, alienated, sinful, evil nature. (That reminds me of the PP quote that went by unnoticed, but we'll leave it that way for now.)

Originally Posted By: William
One advocate of the New Theology position, says that this topic “is the great divide.” I concur, not in that this was the great divide upon which the Protestant Reformation was shaped, for it was not; but in that today it divides within the Church the New Theology advocates from the advocates of authentic Seventh-day Adventism. And which does Mrs. White ask? the “counted-only” question, “How shall a man be counted righteous?” or the “counted and changed” question, “How shall a man be made righteous?” Steps to Christ answers:

"How shall a man be just with God? How shall the sinner be made righteous?" (Steps to Christ, p. 23).

That attitude is one reason why I think postlaps are misinformed at best or malicious at worst. And I've come across the best and the worst.

I am, at least by Kirkpatrick's definition, a New Theologian. Yet, in terms of overcoming sin, I have yet to find anyone, Old Theologians included, who has a stronger stance against sin. While some call for complete overcoming of sin in the last generation, I call for complete obedience in THIS generation.

It is the unkind generalization of New Theologians displayed in your quote that led your GYC buddies to label me an antinomian. What a joke! (The ignorance is the joke. Being judgmental is never a joke.) But it is a joke that makes Jesus weep. Perhaps if they spent less time claiming that Jesus was like us, they might have more time left to become like Jesus.

But enough of that. Let us behold Jesus, and we will see the distinct difference between "His perfect nature" and ours. Then we can fall at the foot of the cross and be changed.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112472
05/01/09 03:20 AM
05/01/09 03:20 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
I am, at least by Kirkpatrick's definition, a New Theologian. Yet, in terms of overcoming sin, I have yet to find anyone, Old Theologians included, who has a stronger stance against sin. While some call for complete overcoming of sin in the last generation, I call for complete obedience in THIS generation.

It is the unkind generalization of New Theologians displayed in your quote that led your GYC buddies to label me an antinomian. What a joke! (The ignorance is the joke. Being judgmental is never a joke.) But it is a joke that makes Jesus weep. Perhaps if they spent less time claiming that Jesus was like us, they might have more time left to become like Jesus.

Whoa. Didn't mean to evoke anything negative, mate. Not sure I'm following everything you've just said, nor did I know they hurt you in some way, maybe we'll let things sit for awhile and come back to them a little later.

In any case, glad you're still breathing, at least till Rosa resurrects again. (PS: Just think Ming. . . no ring.)

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112473
05/01/09 03:38 AM
05/01/09 03:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
We take turns. In a few weeks, it will be my turn to disappear while I move. Actually, I should disappear now. Got work to do.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Page 21 of 49 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!