HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 49 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112495
05/01/09 06:35 PM
05/01/09 06:35 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
A: I am, at least by Kirkpatrick's definition, a New Theologian. Yet, in terms of overcoming sin, I have yet to find anyone, Old Theologians included, who has a stronger stance against sin.

T: Then it appears your not a New Theologian by said definition.

Without classifying anyone pejoratively, ever, and with the motivation of wanting to learn not label, the above exchange seems to be the precise issue at the core of our apparent perplexity in the Christological debate:

Can the New Theology (NT) teach "overcoming sin" without the core doctrinal system of the Old True Theology?

Here's at least one reply as we try to comprehend the NT's doctrinal platform, upon which stand many of my dearest friends and classmates:

"In its early and middle days, it was relatively easy to spot the New Theology. Its proponents openly claimed that, this side of translation, real victory over sin was impossible. Such is no longer the case. With increasing frequency we hear advocates of the New Theology say that yes, you can have victory over sin by the understanding of salvation that they teach. But today we have come to the place where the “Can you have victory over sin?” test no longer suffices. The disease has advanced to another stage.

"The notion that we cannot have victory over sin is rightly identified as a New Theology trademark. But there are two aspects to consider when pondering the New Theology, and both are very important. One part is the experiential claim made for it. The other part is the doctrinal system that supposedly takes you to the experience made in that claim. The doctrinal system does take you to the experience of its theology. The problem in the case of the New Theology is, it is not an experience of complete overcoming.

"Today one hears the experiential claim made that by the doctrinal system underlying the New theology, we can completely overcome. The problem is, there is no way to get from the doctrinal system to the experiential claim. That is, when we accept certain notions about the nature of man, the nature of Christ, and the doctrine of sin, we cannot—within the doctrinal system encompassing those notions—actually get to the place where we overcome.

"Advocates of the New Theology today make their claim of total victory. They may not explicitly mention the doctrinal system that is supposed to take you there. It is implicit; it is implied.

"Some proponents of the New theology today will even be heard to make the experiential claim that one must overcome. The problem these have is that with the doctrinal understanding of the New Theology, you have a system that cannot get you to that place.

"Thus it is especially in regard to doctrinal system and not the experiential claim that we must today identify a teaching as being—or not being—the New Theology. Anyone can claim that by their system you can arrive at an experience of victory over sin. But what if they are teaching a merely human system in which the power of God is not present? Remember this prediction from a century ago (pay particular attention to the emphasized text): [1SM 204-205]."

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112496
05/01/09 06:43 PM
05/01/09 06:43 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Continued. . .

"[1SM 204-205 quoted] Here is classic prediction foretelling the arrival of the current error. Those who brought us the New Theology really thought they were bringing a great reformation to us. The new views concerning what Christ’s humanity was like and what sin has meant for human nature, brought changes to the baseline principles of truth God gave to this people. A hundred years of sound, unified Christology was discarded. Advocates of this New Theology have never urged anyone to sin.

"They have always taught that virtue was better than vice. But their plan was one not devised by God. It counters His truth that, "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world" (1 John 4:2, 3).

"And that, "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Romans 8:3, 4).

"Advocates of the New theology say that our nature itself is condemned, while inspiration says that our condemnation comes from retrenching behind the selfish tendencies we are born with and making them a part of our character. These teach that virtue is better than vice, but at the end of the day, their talk of victory over sin is suspect, for their own theology does not make room for any such victory. Still always there is that fallen humanity, with but little offered in the way of definitions of what such teachers mean when they say they believe in “victory over sin.”

"One who teaches this kind of “victory over sin” was heard to say the following at the end of a recent sermon on John 15:3: “We’re like those disciples: stubborn hearted, failing, fumbling, and all kinds of pride still wrapped up in our hearts—[even so] we hear the sweet whisper of Jesus, ‘you are clean.’ “You are already clean through the word I have spoken to you.”

"But inspiration comments on the same: "These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, ‘Ye are clean.’ Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ’s words" (The Desire of Ages, p. 646).

"Whereas the New Theology preacher claims that he teaches victory over sin, his statement said we were clean even while remaining with “all kinds of pride still wrapped up in our hearts.” But the true theology said that Jesus’ actions changed the hearts of the disciples. When Jesus said they were clean, they truly “had become” teachable, truly had had their hearts cleansed.

"The New Theology claims victory over sin but at the end of the day accepts defeat. The True Theology cleanses and washes away. Inspired writings showed the preacher to be wrong. Yet many who participated in that meeting were perhaps misled. It is a subtle day. Down the hallways of time we have arrived where all apparent claims must be tested."

More later.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112497
05/01/09 07:18 PM
05/01/09 07:18 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hi william,

i skimmed through the paper you put up and checked the context of selected messages quoted. im not sure who came up with this "new theology" term which is claimed to be taught now but it doesnt seem to be based on what ellen white was referring to.

here she is talking about kelloggs pantheism in the living temple. so where is the pantheism in what is being called the new theology here?

i cant base my religion on what this person is saying here, mostly because i dont know what he/she is referring to. what im seeing is this person has come across something that doesnt seem to agree with what he/she has believed and so is calling it "new theology" and giving ellen white statements that have nothing to do with what he/she is saying to justify his/her conclusions.
Quote:
I am compelled to speak in denial of the claim that the teachings of Living Temple can be sustained by statements from my writings. There may be in this book expressions and sentiments that are in harmony with my writings. And there may be in my writings many statements which, taken from their connection, and interpreted according to the mind of the writer of Living Temple, would seem to be in harmony with the teachings of this book. This may give apparent support to the assertion that the sentiments in Living Temple are in harmony with my writings. But God forbid that this sentiment should prevail. {1SM 203.3}

Few can discern the result of entertaining the sophistries advocated by some at this time. But the Lord has lifted the curtain, and has shown me the result that would follow. The spiritualistic theories regarding the personality of God, followed to their logical conclusion, sweep away the whole Christian economy. They estimate as nothing the light that Christ came from heaven to give John to give to His people. They teach that the scenes just before us are not of sufficient importance to be given special attention. They make of no effect the truth of heavenly origin, and rob the people of God of their past experience, giving them instead a false science. {1SM 203.4}

i need to point out also that i would have to hear the whole sermon referred to here to see if i would come to the same conclusions. knowing who these people are and what they teach would also be helpful. then i could pray and search the scriptures for myself to see if that is so.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #112498
05/01/09 07:29 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: asygo
We take turns. In a few weeks, it will be my turn to disappear while I move. Actually, I should disappear now. Got work to do.

Hi Arnold, Before you disappear, could you comment what you thought of Pastor Liversidge "Victory in Christ" message?

So far so good. In fact, very good.

He teaches victory in experience, not just in theory. He also teaches victory in heart and mind, not just in action.

And it is all founded on accepting what Jesus did for us, not what we do for Jesus. From what I've heard so far, he has the root and the fruit in the correct order. His session on Romans 6 is very good.

I'll have to read the transcript one of these days. If only I could read a book while driving.

Originally Posted By: Elle
At one instance, he does mention something in regards to Christ humanity, however, I couldn't tell if he was pre or post-laps. However, that's not the focuss of the message anyway.

And that's as it should be. Christ's humanity, whether pre or post, is secondary compared to the divinity He offers us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112499
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i did a search of "sinful nature" as used by ellen white and it seems to me she used it to refer to our weakened nature. if anyone can see how she used it differently please point it out.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112500
05/01/09 07:34 PM
05/01/09 07:34 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
i skimmed through the paper you put up and checked the context of selected messages quoted. im not sure who came up with this "new theology" term which is claimed to be taught now but it doesnt seem to be based on what ellen white was referring to.

TQ, earlier I quoted a reply to Elle stating in effect that according to a Pfandl document ML Andreasen coined the term "New Theology" to describe the innovations of QOD.

William

Last edited by William; 05/01/09 07:35 PM.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112502
05/01/09 07:47 PM
05/01/09 07:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Quote:

TQ, earlier I quoted a reply to Elle stating in effect that according to a Pfandl document ML Andreasen coined the term "New Theology" to describe the innovations of QOD.

William

thank you, but that didnt address my other points. smile most importantly that the selected messages quote had to do with kelloggs pantheism taking over....

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112503
05/01/09 07:52 PM
05/01/09 07:52 PM
J
Johnston  Offline
Posting New Member
Redlands, California
Interesting conversations. J

Last edited by Johnston; 05/01/09 07:53 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112504
05/01/09 08:47 PM
05/01/09 08:47 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
These teach that virtue is better than vice, but at the end of the day, their talk of victory over sin is suspect, for their own theology does not make room for any such victory.

This didn't seem to be well explained. What's the logic? (underlined part)

I certainly wouldn't want to argue that a postlapsarian is more likely to be less of a sinner than a prelapsarian.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112505
05/01/09 08:53 PM
05/01/09 08:53 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I did a search of "sinful nature" as used by Ellen White and it seems to me she used it to refer to our weakened nature. If anyone can see how she used it differently please point it out.

Here's one:

Quote:
He takes away the destructive tendencies of the sinful nature and brings the human agency into His service. (18MR 208)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 23 of 49 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!