HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #112552
05/02/09 10:25 PM
05/02/09 10:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes, relating this to what John says about shutting your heart to the needy really brings this much to close to home for comfort. But as we know, an uncomfortable truth is still a truth that needs relating to.

Quote:

This isn't following the preceding part of the post. John says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous." A righteous person is one who respects God and his fellow humans, to use your language. Righteousness is indeed a quality possessed by the individual, and it is manifest in the manner you have described. It's not something we have inherently (all our righteousness are as filthy rags), but it is given to us as free gift received by faith, happening when we are born again.

The question of course is, who does righteousness?
Originally Posted By: Romans 7
13Am I saying that something good caused my death? Certainly not! It was sin that killed me by using something good. Now we can see how terrible and evil sin really is. 14We know that the Law is spiritual. But I am merely a human, and I have been sold as a slave to sin. 15In fact, I don't understand why I act the way I do. I don't do what I know is right. I do the things I hate. 16Although I don't do what I know is right, I agree that the Law is good. 17So I am not the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

18I know that my selfish desires won't let me do anything that is good. Even when I want to do right, I cannot. 19Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong. 20And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

21The Law has shown me that something in me keeps me from doing what I know is right. 22With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God. 23But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do. 24What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die? 25Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me.

So with my mind I serve the Law of God, although my selfish desires make me serve the law of sin.

Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer. So what does it take?
Originally Posted By: Romans 8
1If you belong to Christ Jesus, you won't be punished. 2The Holy Spirit will give you life that comes from Christ Jesus and will set you free from sin and death. 3The Law of Moses cannot do this, because our selfish desires make the Law weak. But God set you free when he sent his own Son to be like us sinners and to be a sacrifice for our sin. God used Christ's body to condemn sin. 4He did this, so that we would do what the Law commands by obeying the Spirit instead of our own desires. 5People who are ruled by their desires think only of themselves. Everyone who is ruled by the Holy Spirit thinks about spiritual things. 6If our minds are ruled by our desires, we will die. But if our minds are ruled by the Spirit, we will have life and peace. 7Our desires fight against God, because they do not and cannot obey God's laws. 8If we follow our desires, we cannot please God.

9You are no longer ruled by your desires, but by God's Spirit, who lives in you. People who don't have the Spirit of Christ in them don't belong to him. 10But Christ lives in you. So you are alive because God has accepted you, even though your bodies must die because of your sins. 11Yet God raised Jesus to life! God's Spirit now lives in you, and he will raise you to life by his Spirit.

12My dear friends, we must not live to satisfy our desires. 13If you do, you will die. But you will live, if by the help of God's Spirit you say "No" to your desires. 14Only those people who are led by God's Spirit are his children. 15God's Spirit doesn't make us slaves who are afraid of him. Instead, we become his children and call him our Father. 16God's Spirit makes us sure that we are his children. 17His Spirit lets us know that together with Christ we will be given what God has promised. We will also share in the glory of Christ, because we have suffered with him.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: vastergotland] #112573
05/04/09 04:36 AM
05/04/09 04:36 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer.

I agree. Doing righteousness is not the cause of being righteous. However, being righteous always causes doing righteousness. IOW, God's bestowal of righteousness results in the person possessing righteousness.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #112574
05/04/09 06:26 AM
05/04/09 06:26 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: asygo
Can anyone do righteousness and be righteous thereby? The evidence suggest a negative answer.

I agree. Doing righteousness is not the cause of being righteous. However, being righteous always causes doing righteousness. IOW, God's bestowal of righteousness results in the person possessing righteousness.
Would you say that being rigteous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: vastergotland] #112578
05/04/09 03:36 PM
05/04/09 03:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with Arnold's point that doing the righteousness does not cause one to be righteous, but the bestowal of righteousness from God results in one's doing righteous.

Quote:
Would you say that being rigtheous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Righteousness is by faith. As long as one exercises faith, one receives the righteousness of God, and is righteous, and practices righteousness, which is simply another way of saying that one is in harmony with the principles of God's government, which involve love for God and love for man. If we exercise unbelief instead of faith, the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, and we have an advocate, Jesus Christ the righteous. God is always ready and willing to forgive us of sin.

However, it's not necessary that we sin. Christ was not the only person who lived righteously continuously for any period of time. It's certainly true that Christ is the only one who live His whole life righteously, but there are people of have accepted the righteousness of Christ and lived righteously.

Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

Here's another way of thinking of it. As our hearts become melted by the love of God revealed in the gift of His Son, we may become transformed to the same image, so that we can say with Paul, "For me to live is Christ."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: vastergotland] #112612
05/05/09 04:03 AM
05/05/09 04:03 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo

Would you say that being rigteous always causes doing righteousness all of the time? Because saying that would decrease the number of the righteous to, well, one individual in the history of mankind.

Well, if we're talking about absolute, perfect righteousness, only Jesus fits the bill.

But if we're talking about doing righteousness to the best of our knowledge and ability, every true believer fits that description, all the time. As long as he continues in faith, he is righteous. But if he indulges in unbelief, then he is unrighteous.

Furthermore, when we fall short on those things which are beyond our knowledge or ability, Jesus makes up for those unavoidable deficiencies, and we are judged righteous because He is righteous.

WDYT?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #112614
05/05/09 04:09 AM
05/05/09 04:09 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

I agree, even if it has a little smell of Calvinism.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #112623
05/05/09 02:50 PM
05/05/09 02:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But if we're talking about doing righteousness to the best of our knowledge and ability, every true believer fits that description, all the time. As long as he continues in faith, he is righteous. But if he indulges in unbelief, then he is unrighteous.

This seems to me to be exactly what Scripture teaches.

Quote:
Furthermore, when we fall short on those things which are beyond our knowledge or ability, Jesus makes up for those unavoidable deficiencies, and we are judged righteous because He is righteous.

I think what determines our fate is our character. I don't think unavoidable deficiencies enter into the question. If we are judged righteous simply because Christ is righteous, God could judge everybody righteous, couldn't He? But then there would be the problem of there being people in heaven who hate God, hate the principles of His government, and hate those who love these principles.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #112624
05/05/09 03:16 PM
05/05/09 03:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Just to be clear, our salvation does not depend upon our living righteously, but our living righteously (which, as John describes, is fulfilled in love) testifies of the salvation we receive as a free gift from Christ by faith.

A:I agree, even if it has a little smell of Calvinism.

How about, "testifies that we are children of God"? That would seem to be keeping with John's language.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #112641
05/06/09 12:47 AM
05/06/09 12:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Sounds good also.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #112643
05/06/09 12:55 AM
05/06/09 12:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think what determines our fate is our character. I don't think unavoidable deficiencies enter into the question. If we are judged righteous simply because Christ is righteous, God could judge everybody righteous, couldn't He? But then there would be the problem of there being people in heaven who hate God, hate the principles of His government, and hate those who love these principles.

Before the change is fully effected in us, Christ's character stand in place of our character. In terms of that substitution, God could judge everybody righteous. I think this is what Vaster was thinking of.

However, you bring up an important point: there are people who would hate hanging out with God, and would find it torture living with Him. It would be mean of God to make them live with Him forever since they hate Him, so He does not. "The end of those things is death."

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!