HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,534 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: Daryl] #113748
05/29/09 05:37 AM
05/29/09 05:37 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Why is there no "sea" or "ocean" in the new world? I love the ocean and the fishes, a pity if they no longer exist. Why is it not recreated? Is god afraid that his children might be drown and die?? I couldn't understand the reasoning of the author.

In His love

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: James Saptenno] #113749
05/29/09 05:40 AM
05/29/09 05:40 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: James Saptenno
Why is there no "sea" or "ocean" in the new world? I love the ocean and the fishes, a pity if they no longer exist. Why is it not recreated? Is god afraid that his children might be drown and die?? I couldn't understand the reasoning of the author.

In His love

from what ive read it seems like a "punishment" for all the people who have drowned in the oceans and seas.

i think there will still be rivers and streams and im sure they will be full of marine life for us to enjoy.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: teresaq] #113752
05/29/09 06:22 AM
05/29/09 06:22 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Folks, this is yet another example of improper interpretation. Just like the "dogs" that won't be in heaven, according to Revelation, do not represent literal animals, the "sea" may not represent literal water.

We try to say that Revelation is a symbolic book, while at the same time claiming the symbols are literal. Why is that?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: Green Cochoa] #113755
05/29/09 07:13 AM
05/29/09 07:13 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

since the new heaven and new earth isnt symbolic its rather hard to think that the sea would be symbolic, i would think, but here is what egw said:

The sea divides friends. It is a barrier between us and those whom we love. Our associations are broken up by the broad, fathomless ocean. In the new earth there will be no more sea, and there shall pass there "no galley with oars." In the past many who have loved and served God have been bound by chains to their seats in galleys, compelled to serve the purpose of cruel, hardhearted men. The Lord has looked upon their suffering in sympathy and compassion. Thank God, in the earth made new there will be no fierce torrents, no engulfing ocean, no restless, murmuring waves (MS 33, 1911).

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: teresaq] #113762
05/29/09 11:00 AM
05/29/09 11:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
That's a good statement, Teresa. I agree with it, but do not see it in conflict with my earlier statement. First of all, "there was no more sea" must be considered in context, unless you don't mind contradictions like this:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. (Revelation 4:6, KJV)

Secondly, the "sea" is spoken of in other places in Revelation, and it is clearly a symbol.

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. (Revelation 5:13, KJV)

Unless we are in Narnia, that is not a literal sea.

Again, there is symbolism in the following:
And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (Revelation 7:1, KJV)

And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, (Revelation 7:2, KJV)

Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. (Revelation 7:3, KJV)

And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; (Revelation 8:8, KJV)

And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed. (Revelation 8:9, KJV)

Does the devil tempt whales and dolphins? or do people inhabit the sea?

Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time. (Revelation 12:12, KJV)

Who is the "beast" here?

And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. (Revelation 13:1, KJV)

Does that beast rise out of a literal "sea"?

As I understand, the "sea" represents something very important, and that would become even more important at the end of time. Nor do I see Mrs. White in contradiction with the symbolism. However, I do suppose that there will not be so much of the new earth covered in water as we have now.

Consider this popular term: "sea change." What does it mean? What do "trees," "beasts," and "mountains" represent in Revelation and in other prophecies? Literal trees and beasts?

I believe the "sea" represents commerce.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In the days of Solomon the kingdom of Israel extended from Hamath on the north to Egypt on the south, and from the Mediterranean Sea to the river Euphrates. Through this territory ran many natural highways of the world's commerce, and caravans from distant lands were constantly passing to and fro....{PK 70.2}
...The commercial advantages of an outlet at the head of the Red Sea were developed by the construction of "a navy of ships in Ezion-geber, . . . on the shore of the Red Sea, in the land of Edom." Trained sailors from Tyre, "with the servants of Solomon," manned these vessels on voyages "to Ophir, and fetched from thence gold," and "great plenty of almug trees, and precious stones." Verse 18; 1 Kings 9:26, 28; 10:11. {PK 71.2} [Prophets and Kings (1917)]

Heaven will not have commerce as we have it here. Nor will it have slave trade (galleys), nor will the waves of the economy's ups and downs cause us to fret and fear. Money will not divide friends and brethren in heaven. There will be no more "sea."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: teresaq] #113764
05/29/09 03:40 PM
05/29/09 03:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree with teresaq in that one part can't be literal and the other symbolic, therefore, if the "no more sea" is to be considered symbolic, then "a new heaven and a new earth" would also need to be considered symbolic.

As far as "no more sea" goes, the SDA Bible Commentary says,
Quote:

The clause reads literally, "and the sea is not any longer," that is, the seas as we know them now will not exist in the new creation. Some have insisted that this "sea" is symbolic of peoples, nations, tongues (cf. 17:15); but if so, the heavens and the earth would necessarily be symbolic also. Here John simply affirms that the heavens, the earth, and the seas will no longer exist as we know them now (cf. PP 44).

Originally Posted By: teresaq
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

since the new heaven and new earth isnt symbolic its rather hard to think that the sea would be symbolic, i would think, but here is what egw said:

The sea divides friends. It is a barrier between us and those whom we love. Our associations are broken up by the broad, fathomless ocean. In the new earth there will be no more sea, and there shall pass there "no galley with oars." In the past many who have loved and served God have been bound by chains to their seats in galleys, compelled to serve the purpose of cruel, hardhearted men. The Lord has looked upon their suffering in sympathy and compassion. Thank God, in the earth made new there will be no fierce torrents, no engulfing ocean, no restless, murmuring waves (MS 33, 1911).

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: Daryl] #113766
05/29/09 03:42 PM
05/29/09 03:42 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
And what prevents the heaven and earth from being symbolic?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: Green Cochoa] #113779
05/29/09 08:25 PM
05/29/09 08:25 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
ok, ill bite. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: teresaq] #113780
05/29/09 08:33 PM
05/29/09 08:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The "sea" was a symbol for evil. There are many examples of this in Scripture. For example, crossing the Red Sea, walking on water, standing on the sea of glass, the laver, etc. So it's hard to believe "there is no more sea" would not have been understood as meaning "there is no more evil" (or sin).

That doesn't preclude that physical waters will be different as well. We know from the SOP that the earth, as originally created, did not have the barren expanses of water (barren from our point of view) that we now see, so it is natural to expect the earth would return to this pre-fall form.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Heaven [Re: Tom] #113781
05/29/09 08:57 PM
05/29/09 08:57 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i think of the "winds" being more symbolic of evil.

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!