HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
burden of sin, guilt and shame #113785
05/29/09 09:24 PM
05/29/09 09:24 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
He can take the penalty for their transgression.

Which is what? Is it death, or something else? If it's death, this is exactly what I see happening. Sin resulted in death in the person of Christ (in His humanity), thus demonstrating the truth that God had been saying all alone, the one who sins will die. We also see what that death looks like in Christ's experience; not a fire-ball from heaven burning Him up, but His heart melting like wax.

Quote:
"By pledging His own life Christ has made Himself responsible for every man and woman on the earth. He stands in the presence of God, saying, "Father, I take upon Myself the guilt of that soul. It means death to him if he is left to bear it. If he repents he shall be forgiven. My blood shall cleanse him from all sin. I gave My life for the sins of the world." {HP 42.5}

Why would it mean death if one had to bear one's own sin?

Quote:
The heaviest burden that we bear is the burden of sin. If we were left to bear this burden, it would crush us.(MH 71)

It would crush us. Christ, during this life, bears the sin of every human being, so that they are not crushed, but have the opportunity to make a decision for or against Christ.

In the second resurrection, those who have chosen to reject Christ will be left to bear their own sin (God's strange act, the outpouring of His wrath, His execution of justice), and they will be crushed. As DA 764 puts it:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

Quote:
THAT IS THE ISSUE -- CHRIST TOOK OUR PENALTY so we could partake of His righteousness.

I agree with this. The penalty for sin is death. Christ died, as the result of taking our sin upon Him.

how do we understand ellen whites statement in bold red above?
and this statement below?
Quote:
In the work of creation, Christ was with God. He was one with God, equal with Him, the brightness of His glory, the express image of His person, the representative of the Father. He alone, the Creator of man, could be his Saviour. No angel of heaven could reveal the Father to the sinner, and win him back to allegiance to God. But Christ could manifest the Father's love; for God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself. Christ could be the "day's man" between a holy God and lost humanity, one who could "lay His hand upon us both." {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 9}
None but Christ could redeem man from the curse of the law. He proposed to take upon Himself the guilt and shame of sin,--sin so offensive in the sight of God that it would necessitate separation from His Father. Christ proposed to reach to the depths of man's degradation and woe, and restore the repenting, believing soul to harmony with God. Christ, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, offered Himself as a sacrifice and substitute for the fallen sons of Adam, though in this offering all heaven was involved in infinite sacrifice. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 10}
But the Father so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that through His smitten heart a channel might be found for the outflowing of infinite love for fallen man. Man had become so degraded by sin, his nature so perverted by evil, that it was impossible for him of himself to come into harmony with God, whose nature is purity and love. But Christ redeemed him from the condemnation of the law, and imparted divine power, and through man's cooperation, the sinner could be restored to his lost estate. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 11}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: teresaq] #114003
06/01/09 11:14 PM
06/01/09 11:14 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
May need to quote excerpts later, but it's all right above this post, this time! smile

Two issues appear to me on this: law and sin.

The background, which Tom hasn't touched on, and am not sure how he fits it in, as he so fully into what sin by itself is supposed to do, is divine grace.

Because of grace, sin is no longer sin... wink : it's full effect is never felt, even by the Devil in hell, is it. Yes, sin is sin, alienation from God, but its guilt and alienation is not in itself lethal, is it.

"It would crush us" goes alongside "it means death" to the one who bears it. Sister White always spoke softly when exhorting us and uplifting Christ: that "means death", in light of her writings taken all together, means hell fire, not scientific brain and body melt down. That's for the personal dose of guilt. Also, guilt is a dicate of law, so its sentence is deliberate, timed and carried out at the judge's discretion, according to God's holy, just and righteous law.

She's clear that death on judgement day is after personally proportionate punishment by fire on all not found in the Lamb's book of life, with the evil angels punished the most of all.

There was war in heaven...: can we fathom that...???!! No, we can't. Their personal period of grace from the Father came to an end: that Michael's angels fought against Satan's angels strongly implies that the Father declared war, not Satan. The rest is history...Since God granted them grace - both in heaven and afterwards - to try to prove their case, he equally sentences them according to the law, the law they challenged, it says in SOP: he is the judge, after all.

Jesus personally tasted the full punishment for sin for all mankind: was it sin itself or divine wrath which killed him? Since Rom 5:18 speaks of humanity's collective condemnation following transgression, and the goat's blood on the mercy seat "satisfied the law's demands" beneath the mercy seat (check EGW quotes from Dedication that I posted on Christus Victor thread), Jesus' death from bearing our sins and guilt was to meet a legal requirement of a sacrifice equal to the law.

That's the heart of redemption through Christ Jesus, whose gospel does eventually indeed instill in us his glory, too, from the heart, not just establish a legal event preventing our death. Grace intervened in our condemnation under the law - our condemnation is natural and God's law is divinely just, providing us a Substitute for our death due under the law.

A side question for Tom here, sorry, Teresa..., and some points for us all.
Had not Christ's life been sufficient a demonstration of agape? Why be put to death, if it, the Lamb's blood shed, is not necessary for our forgiveness, our pardon? Is pardon not granted only after we die to sin on receiving the gift of repentance? Had Jesus not had to die for our forgiveness - being forgiven means being redeemed!!! - he qualified to follow (historically) Enoch in translation, but he was obliged to die, on a tree - to be cursed of God, to secure our salvation from condemnation to death, under the law.

Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: Colin] #114005
06/02/09 12:32 AM
06/02/09 12:32 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
it seems to me that guilt and shame are the burden of sin. i think everyone has those moments of 'conviction' where we feel guilt and shame but too many times we push them away through whatever it might be.

but if we paid attention would we be able to see how it is crushing some soul around us?

if we didnt try to escape the feeling however we might would we understand what ellen white is trying to say?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: teresaq] #114014
06/02/09 02:19 AM
06/02/09 02:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think that guilt and shame are the burden of sin, but in mercy, God only allows us to see just the smallest portion of our true guilt and shame. If we saw the whole thing, it would crush us. God protects us by His grace, so we may have time to develop characters in harmony with Him and the principles of His government. In the judgment, there is no more grace, and the wicked, made to see their guilt and shame, are crushed. Their suffering is in proportion to their guilt and shame, which is just what one would expect.

Regarding how Christ bore our shame and guilt, the best I've been able to understand this is by considering the following:

Quote:
It was not only because of the scene before Him that Christ wept. The weight of the grief of ages was upon Him. He saw the terrible effects of the transgression of God's law. He saw that in the history of the world, beginning with the death of Abel, the conflict between good and evil had been unceasing. Looking down the years to come, He saw the suffering and sorrow, tears and death, that were to be the lot of men. His heart was pierced with the pain of the human family of all ages and in all lands. The woes of the sinful race were heavy upon His soul, and the fountain of His tears was broken up as He longed to relieve all their distress. (DA 534)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: Tom] #114019
06/02/09 03:28 AM
06/02/09 03:28 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think that guilt and shame are the burden of sin, but in mercy, God only allows us to see just the smallest portion of our true guilt and shame. If we saw the whole thing, it would crush us. God protects us by His grace, so we may have time to develop characters in harmony with Him and the principles of His government. In the judgment, there is no more grace, and the wicked, made to see their guilt and shame, are crushed. Their suffering is in proportion to their guilt and shame, which is just what one would expect.

Regarding how Christ bore our shame and guilt, the best I've been able to understand this is by considering the following:

Quote:
It was not only because of the scene before Him that Christ wept. The weight of the grief of ages was upon Him. He saw the terrible effects of the transgression of God's law. He saw that in the history of the world, beginning with the death of Abel, the conflict between good and evil had been unceasing. Looking down the years to come, He saw the suffering and sorrow, tears and death, that were to be the lot of men. His heart was pierced with the pain of the human family of all ages and in all lands. The woes of the sinful race were heavy upon His soul, and the fountain of His tears was broken up as He longed to relieve all their distress. (DA 534)

i only want to respond to this but the rest was so good i left it.

Quote:
If we saw the whole thing, it would crush us. God protects us by His grace, so we may have time to develop characters in harmony with Him and the principles of His government.

it seems to me based on my experience and certain sop quotes that God "opens" our eyes bit-by-bit, as much as we can take at the moment to give us a chance to repent. each time we see deeper how bad whatever particular sin is, how much it hurt whomever, or how bad it was.

perhaps that is why during the time of trouble we wont be able to recall any particular sins. they had already been thoroughly brought to mind before that.

Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: teresaq] #114034
06/02/09 04:47 PM
06/02/09 04:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It seems to me based on my experience and certain sop quotes that God "opens" our eyes bit-by-bit, as much as we can take at the moment to give us a chance to repent. each time we see deeper how bad whatever particular sin is, how much it hurt whomever, or how bad it was.

Perhaps that is why during the time of trouble we wont be able to recall any particular sins. they had already been thoroughly brought to mind before that.

I see it this way too.

Ty Gibson says that God's revelation of Himself necessarily involves a revelation of ourselves. We can't stand the ugliness of ourselves, except in small doses, bathed by God's grace and mercy. If we reject the grace and mercy, then the revelation of our own ugliness (aka sin and guilt) will be too much for us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: Tom] #114115
06/03/09 11:42 PM
06/03/09 11:42 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
thoughts from a couple of others on this subject:
Quote:
I've always thought that the effect of the "presence of God" is to "reveal the truth" - about ourselves, about the universe and our place in it. I really think that this is why the same thing that heals the righteous destroys the wicked. The righteous see what they really are and it is scary and maybe even painful - but they have one thing going for them, they trust God with it and can let go of the things that are converting God's glory into fire - they become like clear glass that the glory passes through without harm. But... the wicked do not trust God, cannot let go of the things in themselves that are converting God's glory to a burning fire, and hanging on to them they are consumed along with them. This is all metaphor of course, but it is the image that resonates with me.

Quote:
It is also helpful to remember that this is just a metaphor, to describe something that none of us have seen or experienced, but it makes sense.

Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: teresaq] #114116
06/04/09 12:56 AM
06/04/09 12:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree that it makes sense. I was having trouble following the metaphor reference, but I see it is this: "cannot let go of the things in themselves that are converting God's glory to a burning fire, and hanging on to them they are consumed along with them."

This sounds very similar to:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.(DA 107)

The glory of God is His character.

Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: Tom] #114175
06/05/09 05:08 PM
06/05/09 05:08 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forum...amp;#Post114174

give a good example of how two people reacted to their burden of sin, guilt and shame, i think.

Re: burden of sin, guilt and shame [Re: teresaq] #114184
06/05/09 07:29 PM
06/05/09 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The different reactions were interesting. As I recall, the SOP tells us Peter would have killed himself too if not for Jesus' look of compassion and understanding.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!