HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,264 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #113944
05/31/09 09:47 PM
05/31/09 09:47 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
without supposing that our individual sins, guilt and just punishment were somehow literally transferred onto Jesus and without supposing that Jesus had to literally placate the Father’s wrath.
Now..., where in this essay is any mention of the death to sin which our Saviour daily chose and suffered on the cross for us which we experience by faith in him? Yes, not suffering the full affects of sin, but dying to sin itself?

i find this question to be very enlightening and the core of the whole issue.

what, exactly, did Christ die to? "sin" is rather vague. what "sins" exactly did He die to?

The sinfulness of his adopted humanity, basically: how do you understand it? I have further thoughts but which direction are you thinking in?

In a similar vein of perfect action by him, what sort of repentance did he make at his baptism of repentance by john the Baptist, whose baptism was exclusively for repentance?

Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #113945
05/31/09 09:56 PM
05/31/09 09:56 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i believe this quote, not to mention much of the article, contradicts the conclusion presented.

Quote:
But what concerns me most is that this view easily divorces justification from sanctification. That is, so long as a person believes Jesus died as their substitute, they’re off the hook. How they actually live isn’t central to the legal arrangement.

this is a very real reality for much of the "christian" world and the author is dealing with that. that is why this bothers me so much also.

I don't like that paragraph either...: it opened the way for me to question the conclusion's strength, after reading the article, too. What is your concern with it, or just what you're aware of poor examples in the Christian community?

Re: Christus Victor [Re: Tom] #113946
05/31/09 10:10 PM
05/31/09 10:10 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
without supposing that our individual sins, guilt and just punishment were somehow literally transferred onto Jesus and without supposing that Jesus had to literally placate the Father’s wrath.

Now..., where in this essay is any mention of the death to sin which our Saviour daily chose and suffered on the cross for us which we experience by faith in him? Yes, not suffering the full affects of sin, but dying to sin itself?

I'm not sure who said the above, other than Colin posted it, I think. I'm just providing this for context. Beneath the above, you (teresaq) wrote:

Quote:
I find this question to be very enlightening and the core of the whole issue.

What, exactly, did Christ die to? "sin" is rather vague. what "sins" exactly did He die to?

I believe this quote, not to mention much of the article, contradicts the conclusion presented.

I'm finding this a bit cryptic. Please clarify: What is "this quote"? What is the conclusion presented, and what is contradicting the conclusion.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #113951
06/01/09 01:22 AM
06/01/09 01:22 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
boyd: without supposing that our individual sins, guilt and just punishment were somehow literally transferred onto Jesus and without supposing that Jesus had to literally placate the Father’s wrath.

what, exactly, did Christ die to? "sin" is rather vague. what "sins" exactly did He die to?

i believe this quote, not to mention much of the article, contradicts the conclusion presented.
Quote:
boyd: But what concerns me most is that this view easily divorces justification from sanctification. That is, so long as a person believes Jesus died as their substitute, they’re off the hook. How they actually live isn’t central to the legal arrangement.

this is a very real reality for much of the "christian" world and the author is dealing with that. that is why this bothers me so much also.

Quote:
it means because HE died to our sin, we died to sin. Therefore it is apparent that our dying to sin is not something we do, but something Christ has done, and is something that is accounted to all who are united with Him!

and no, dedication, i dont "have it in for you". i dont "hate you", or any other conclusion you have come to about me when i disagree with you. that statement doesnt tell anyone what Christ died to, what He suffered. (im not even sure its legitimate. Christ "died to sin" every moment of His life....when He physically died that is something else. 1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;)
Quote:
The idea that one is “saved” by intellectually believing in the legal transaction Jesus allegedly engaged in with God the Father can thus be dismissed as magic.

lets get on the same page with this gentleman and what he is addressing, por please. smile

on rereading this i can see the confusion, and i wrote it. crazy

colin was responding to boyds comment and i was responding to colins question. i was pointing out that we say "sins" but we dont seem to really know what that entails. what sins are we talking about? do we know what sin really is, or do we have an extremely limited view of what sin is? or we so busy discussing how its done and dont actually think about what....

i believe that boyd made it clear whether he believed in "dying to sin itself" in the second quote by him above. unless we arent clear about sanctification.

boyds second quote above is a very real reality for much of the christian world as well as for some of us in the church.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #113954
06/01/09 02:13 AM
06/01/09 02:13 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, so you were doing two things. One was pointing out an ambiguity (not having to do with Boyd), and the other was you were agreeing with Boyd's point in regards to the disconnect between profession and reality.

What I like about the Christus Victor theme (which we know as "The Great Contoversy") is that everything ties together. The SOP says that the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. This agrees with Boyd's formulation of things, as he points out His purpose was to defeat the enemy, which was done by His "outrageous love."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christus Victor [Re: Tom] #114114
06/03/09 11:34 PM
06/03/09 11:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
bump

Re: Christus Victor [Re: Tom] #114123
06/04/09 02:34 PM
06/04/09 02:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
One of the pains about moving is losing stuff. An upside is finding something you thought had been lost.

I came across "Christus Victor" by Gustaf Aulen, who is responsible for bringing this view of the atonement back into public view, so am re-reading it, a great joy, since I was afraid it had been lost. Despite the fact that it was the dominant view of the atonement for nearly a thousand years (the first thousand years, following Christ's death), it had been lost sight of, and, even today, most people generally think in terms of only two atonement models, one objective (penal substitution) and the other subjective (moral influence theory). There's a third model which combines the best points of both the objective and subjective model, while avoiding their flaws (this is Aulen's premise, at any rate!).

I'll be trying to share some things from the book, time allowing.

Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #114127
06/04/09 03:50 PM
06/04/09 03:50 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
boyd: without supposing that our individual sins, guilt and just punishment were somehow literally transferred onto Jesus and without supposing that Jesus had to literally placate the Father’s wrath.

Quote:
boyd: But what concerns me most is that this view easily divorces justification from sanctification. That is, so long as a person believes Jesus died as their substitute, they’re off the hook. How they actually live isn’t central to the legal arrangement.

Quote:
it means because HE died to our sin, we died to sin. Therefore it is apparent that our dying to sin is not something we do, but something Christ has done, and is something that is accounted to all who are united with Him!

and no, dedication, i dont "have it in for you". i dont "hate you", or any other conclusion you have come to about me when i disagree with you. that statement doesnt tell anyone what Christ died to, what He suffered. (im not even sure its legitimate. Christ "died to sin" every moment of His life....when He physically died that is something else. 1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;)
Quote:
The idea that one is “saved” by intellectually believing in the legal transaction Jesus allegedly engaged in with God the Father can thus be dismissed as magic.

lets get on the same page with this gentleman and what he is addressing, por please. smile

on rereading this i can see the confusion, and i wrote it. crazy

colin was responding to boyds comment and i was responding to colins question. i was pointing out that we say "sins" but we dont seem to really know what that entails. what sins are we talking about? do we know what sin really is, or do we have an extremely limited view of what sin is? or we so busy discussing how its done and dont actually think about what....

i believe that boyd made it clear whether he believed in "dying to sin itself" in the second quote by him above. unless we arent clear about sanctification.

boyds second quote above is a very real reality for much of the christian world as well as for some of us in the church.

I'll just check again what Boyd says for himself on dying to self and J&S, not forgetting that true Christian witness isn't at its best yet!

What is sin....: sin principally is both "lawlessness" and "transgression of the law". It's also selfish pride and selfishness altogether. To glory in Christ is healthy pride, so there's the true version! Sin also mental as well as active, of course. It's even spiritual, making oneself the whole of one's realm of interest and importance, shutting out anyone or anything external: that is dead spirituality since it doesn't connect but it is spiritual, all the same.

On specifics: sinfulness for us in both our nature and our sinful character. Our nature is a sinful being; our lives and actions are sinful choices. Therefore, as you may have heard before, it's not the case that "we sin because we're sinners; we're sinners because we sin", since this prevents us from chosing not to sin. Truth: "we sin because we're sinful; we're sinners because we sin." Human nature is sinful, but we are sinful also by actions.

Jesus took the former, but refused the latter. He daily died to the former, and completed that with his death on the cross. He also died for sin, since that's what the law requires, since Adam had to sacrifice that first lamb by faith in the promised Messiah's sacrifice for sin, once and for all. He died for us, for sin and gave us the righteous example of dying to sin, which we experience by our living faith in him.

Ok, that hasn't actually answered your question, has it, or was it alright?

Re: Christus Victor [Re: Colin] #114136
06/04/09 06:27 PM
06/04/09 06:27 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hello, my brother, what a conciliatory move!! my quick skim through boyds thoughts as presented there seemed very much in line with the sop as i understand it. it seems to me we should go through his thoughts and establish what we know to be right and then pick at what we believe to be error.

Quote:
On specifics: sinfulness for us in both our nature and our sinful character. Our nature is a sinful being; our lives and actions are sinful choices. Therefore, as you may have heard before, it's not the case that "we sin because we're sinners; we're sinners because we sin", since this prevents us from chosing not to sin. Truth: "we sin because we're sinful; we're sinners because we sin." Human nature is sinful, but we are sinful also by actions.

ok, i can agree with that for the moment. its a little technical and i dont know that the average joe i run into could understand the nuances, which is always my concern. the way i would state it is, we are going to sin from the moment we are born.

also, do you think we could allow the other person to see things differently no matter how bad we might think that teaching to be? i mean, i disagree with you on antitrinitarianism but should i do to you what you did to tom? should anyone treat you that way?

maybe stating, i disagree with --------because-------and leave it there? which could give the other an opportunity to clear up those particular issues if possible.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christus Victor [Re: teresaq] #114141
06/04/09 07:18 PM
06/04/09 07:18 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Still have to study Boyd again, thanks, and yes, keep the good and not the bad.

On sin, Teresa, that bit you put in red simply means: we're sinful by nature, we're not sinners by nature - we're sinners by choice.

On "Tom", agreeing to disagree wasn't happening from his end, that I could see, while everyone else could see our definitions were different for the same words we were using. Tom avoided this fact all he could, seeming to claim it wasn't relevant, as he supported a short paragraphed, voted statement, which had zero detail in it. That he didn't give the chapter, explaining the short #9 FB "note", any validity as being the proper explanation of what is believed by the church under FB #9, really ended the discussion. That's what dragged it on as far as it did.

If he doesn't follow my wording 75% of the time or more, it also drags the discussion on forever! A difference on the meaning of Christ's death changes understandings on virtually everything, despite a few similar points.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!