HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Harmony with God #11413
11/08/04 04:39 AM
11/08/04 04:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, in my last post I was trying to steer clear of the diet issue. I believe it is safe to say we are never going to agree on that whole question. I agree with Sister White that obeying the ten commandments includes the laws of health, which, in her inspired opinion, means adopting a vegan lifestyle. I realize you don't agree with this application, or interpretation, of her insights and counsel. So, it might be best if we put this behind us, and turn to other concerns. With this in mind, would you care to address the questions I posted above? If not, no big deal.

Re: Harmony with God #11414
11/07/04 05:06 PM
11/07/04 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the reason it hurt was because I was sort of thinking that by sharing my testimony others might rejoice with me, like the lady who looked long and hard for her lost coin. I am just as happy that I have found myself in Jesus as she was about finding her coin. And when you, especially you, because I have grown fond of you, when you doubted my joy and wondered if whether or not my experience isn't more akin to the Pharisee who was blinded with self deception, well, it set me back. But I know you didn’t mean anything hurtful by telling me how it made you feel. I’m just sorry it affected you that way. Believe me, I was hoping for something entirely opposite.

When is it safe to rejoice in the Lord? Is it ever safe to feel happy because we were once lost but now we are found? Can we know now, today, this very moment, that because of Jesus we have eternal life abiding in us, and that we are heaven bound? Is it wrong to express these feelings publicly? Jesus has saved me from so many destructive habits, things and ways I used to be that are no longer the source of my grief and despair, and I am so happy, so very happy, that He has set me free, to the point where it’s hard not to shout it from the mountain tops.

I tend to be a very expressive person, wearing my feelings on my sleeves, and I have been cautioned, on more than a few occasions here on MSDAOL, for being so sensitive. But, to tell you the truth, I cannot help myself, that’s just the way I am, but I’m learning not to let my feelings get in the way. I realize my views on rebirth and perfection have made me very unpopular on this forum, most people have just given up on me, so I can see how sharing my testimony wouldn’t be well received by some. So, I guess I need to be more careful in the future.

Re: Harmony with God #11415
11/07/04 07:27 PM
11/07/04 07:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, I've grown fond of you too. I agree with a lot of what you say, but some of what you write I find deeply troubling. I've thought and prayed a great deal about how to communicate.

Again, I don't doubt that you have had a genuine conversion experience, nor that the Lord has delievered you from destructive habits. My response had/has nothing to do with that, but only with a theological theory which I find very dangerous. That is the idea that it's impossible for someone who is connected to Christ to sin (or at least knowingly sin).

I think this theory is very dangerous. If you think you are connected to Jesus, and think that in such a state you cannot sin, that leads to the very dangerous position of being able to delude yourself that you're not sinning when you are. Inspiration does not teach that one cannot sin if "connected" to Jesus, but that one need not sin. That's an important distinction.

This is also from Christ's Object Lessons, the Two Worshippers chapter:

quote:
No outward observances can take the place of simple faith and entire renunciation of self. But no man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul.

It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. All our good works are dependent on a power outside of ourselves. Therefore there needs to be a continual reaching out of the heart after God, a continual, earnest, heartbreaking confession of sin and humbling of the soul before Him. Only by constant renunciation of self and dependence on Christ can we walk safely.

Regarding perfection of character, I think that is something which takes place as one is transformed by beholding Christ. Focusing on sin will not acheive this desired result.

Re: Harmony with God #11416
11/07/04 08:06 PM
11/07/04 08:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for being my friend. I look forward to spending eternity with you in Paradise.

I agree that character development, perfecting Christlike traits of character, is something that happens on a daily basis, that we're not born again fully developed, as if there is no more room left to grow. I believe character perfection starts now and will continue throughout eternity. We will never stop "perfecting holiness in the fear of the Lord." 2 Cor 7:1. Perfecting holiness? Yes, that's right, even Jesus perfected holiness as grew from childhood to manhood.

Yes, there is a fine line between truth and error, and there is a risk of deceiving ourselves into thinking we are without fault before the throne of God, when in reality we are wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked. But believing the truth has always involved a risk. Peter said it is better not to have known the truth than to turn from it later on. In Hebrews we read, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." 10:31.

Believing the truth comes with a serious and heavy responsibility, but it shouldn't stop us from embracing it wholeheartedly. It's a fine line, for sure, but we need not fear it. In Christ we are more than conquerors, which is something we should never forget, something we should never fear. Nevertheless, we must handle it like dynamite, with extreme care and caution, because it will either kill us or save us. There is no middle ground, no neutral territory. The great controversy is a great big battle field, and our hearts and minds are hanging in the balance of victory or defeat - and the choice is ours.

Re: Harmony with God #11417
11/08/04 05:14 AM
11/08/04 05:14 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Mike,
If we disobey from doing His will I believe we can be in trouble, but this is something that comes over a period of time.

An example is going door to door and everyone agrees that we shold witness to people and introduce people to Christ. Yet there are many who don't go because they are either timid, afraid, or are unable to. God will not tell them that they are unable to go to heaven. God has given us all gifts and different ones at that.

Faith alone without works (a faith that works) is dead, so it would require Faith and works.. I think hookers, and drug addicts, and the mentally insane should be given the opportunity to study the Bible, and witnessed to,clothed and fed, but there are people at my church even that say "Be careful those people will find out who you are and steal from you", but these people may be serving God in a different capacity. We can;t just sit there complacent alal OnceSaved Always Saved and wait for Jesus to come. He is coming soon, so we need to share the Gospel with others, show them the truth as it is in Christ. I wonder how it will be done when God calls out His people to come out of babylon.
So I beleve because the Bible tells me so that faith & works combined is an important element in our salvation.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Harmony with God #11418
11/09/04 04:52 AM
11/09/04 04:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Will. I thought we both believed the same way about faith and works, but the diet issue sort of made things messy. Of the four disciplines - Bible study, prayer, fellowship and outreach - I agree with you, outreach is sorely neglected. I praise God for the obvious love of souls He has instilled in you. My gift is working with young people in the great outdoors. But I'm not so good with street people. So, I'm really happy about people like you who work well with them. God bless you, and your ministry.

Re: Harmony with God #11419
11/08/04 05:32 PM
11/08/04 05:32 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Mike,
I agree with you there, but the diet thing did make me upset and I think rightly so. However I do realize that in todays market, and the meat that is channeled through there for public consumption is not the best, and can't find scripture that supports the condemntation of a person for eating yogurt, or fish, or poultry, BUT I have found verses that do mention things like "be healthy", so as I search I learn, and as I learn I share.
It is awesome that you do work with youth especially in this day and age where everytihng on television is so candy coated and shiny to look appealing. This does not even include the sexual pressures imposed on them from tv programs, and movies. It is a blessing indeed that The Lord has called you to help them out in this troubling day and age.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Harmony with God #11420
11/08/04 08:01 PM
11/08/04 08:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Just thought Id point out that not witnessing by going door to door does not mean that the person does not witness. There are many other areas and circumbstances where one can be a witness, possibly even more efficently than when walking door to door. For instance when witnessing to your coworkers whom you can build a trust relationship with.

/Thomas

Re: Harmony with God #11421
11/08/04 08:57 PM
11/08/04 08:57 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thats right Thomas. I think that everywhere you are at youare a witness, and whether at work, in the neighborhood, or with friends who are not Christian you are a witness. Good point though [Smile]
God Bless,
Will

Re: Harmony with God #11422
11/09/04 12:17 AM
11/09/04 12:17 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Mike, I didn't mean for my comment to be hurtful -- but to repeat, it's not appropriate to compare the Almighty to an abandoned puppy. I won't apologize for saying that, because I firmly believe that it's true. Can you find a better 'word picture' perhaps? I can appreciate the sentiments you were expressing, but can't sit still while seeing the Lord of heaven being demeaned in the process.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!