HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114427
06/09/09 02:39 AM
06/09/09 02:39 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
my question, since God is a God of justice, is how does that play out in heaven? lets say you work harder and longer than i do, does that mean you get more goodies in heaven than i will, or do you get to live longer? just how does the justice thing play out in heaven? smile

Just a momentary cameo before I go.

Those who "work harder and longer" on earth will have advantages in heaven. For example, let's say you and I both live for 100 years. You spent the first 20 years wandering, but found Jesus and spent the rest of your life serving Him, getting to know Him better, and becoming more like Him. At the resurrection, you will have 80 years of Christian character development under your spiritual belt.

But what if I spent 99 years in debauchery and general evil living? And on my 99th birthday, I submitted to God, and spent the rest of my life serving Him, but in a weakened physical and mental condition due to my years of bad living. When I am resurrected, my Christian character development will be a bit behind yours. Agreed?

So we both go to heaven, and learn at the feet of Jesus. Will I learn faster than you, given that you have known Jesus for 80 years and I only one? Or will you learn faster than me, since you've got some of the basics down already? Or will we go at the same pace?

Unless the one-year Christian learns faster than the 80-year Christian, which seems unreasonable to me, you will always be "ahead" of me in spiritual development. After 100 years in heaven, you will have had 180 of being with Jesus, and I only 101. In short, you will have more goodies.

While you don't get to live longer, you did not spend as much time "dead in trespasses and sins" as I did. IOW, you are dead shorter. And the value of that blessing can only be known by those who are sick and tired of being dead in trespasses and sins.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114432
06/09/09 03:58 AM
06/09/09 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:First of all, I didn't say "God doesn't need a sacrifice to meet the just demands of his law so as to save this sinful race." What I said was that God doesn't need a sacrifice in order to be able to pardon us. Do you see the difference?

Colin:Sorry, Tom: There is no difference.

Well, I guess that answers my question! You don't see the difference. I see a difference, however, and ask that you quote me accurately.

Quote:
Your reasoning between us and Lucifer is philosophising,

Not it's not. I've presented quotes to support what I've shared; they're not ideas I've pulled out of my head for no reason.

Quote:
not legal reasoning,

What do you mean "legal reasoning"? The reasoning is sound, which is what counts. If you wish to dispute this, go ahead! Present some counter-argument with evidence. I'll glad to hear you out!

Quote:
so you don't see that your position on God's requirements to save us amount to absence of the rule of law. It's quite possible you just don't see the issue, with your purely logical approach.

I see the issue. I just don't agree with your understanding of it. I agree with Fifield's. I think his agrees with reality. I don't think yours does. I've explained why.

Quote:
It remains the case that EGW wrote, "Christ has made a sacrifice to satisfy the demands of justice."

I agree completely with this! Fifield wrote a whole chapter called "Christ's Sacrifice Honors God's Law." He explains how the sacrifice of Christ satisfies the demands of justice. I've quoted this to you quite a few times. I agree with Fifield.

That you and I understand what it means to say that "Christ has made a sacrifice to satisfy the demands of justice" differently is fair to say, but I agree with this just as much as you do. I just don't believe one has to believe in penal substitution to believe that Christ's sacrifice satisfies the demands of justice.

Quote:
She also wrote: "And the nonexecution of the penalty of that sin [that is, any sin] would be a crime in the divine administration. God is a judge, the Avenger of justice, which is the habitation and the foundation of His throne." Whatever you deduce from her comments about Lucifer, this legal requirement of punishing sins is indisputable, unless you don't understand just what it is she is saying about God.

I believe she is saying the same, precise, exact thing as Fifield. I've quoted Fifield several times. I think his understanding of what this means is correct, and for the reasons he cites.

Quote:
The demands of justice is the execution of the penalty for the sin, just as Sister White herself said: that means Christ's substitutionary death involved the penalty for our sins as proactive judgement of God, the Avenging Judge, which is nothing undeserving or undue us - that is, the additional meaning of arbitrary. She taught penal substitution, as those Adventists who teach the Moral Influence Theory, concede - not looking at you for that necessarily.

You're just avoiding the issue of Lucifer. Simply turning a blind eye to it doesn't make it go away. If she thought in typical penal substitution terms, what she wrote about Lucifer simply doesn't make sense.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114433
06/09/09 04:03 AM
06/09/09 04:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Unless the one-year Christian learns faster than the 80-year Christian, which seems unreasonable to me, you will always be "ahead" of me in spiritual development. After 100 years in heaven, you will have had 180 of being with Jesus, and I only 101. In short, you will have more goodies.

I don't think you can compare one person with another (for example, one person might learn much quicker than another). I think the valid comparison is that the 1-year Christian is behind where he would have been, had he not wasted time. I don't think the 1-year Christian would care about this, though. The thing to care about are the souls lost because the 1-year Christian didn't respond to the Spirit of God earlier.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114434
06/09/09 04:15 AM
06/09/09 04:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
t:I see a lot of "formulas" but I don't see anywhere where it is stressed that, and we are urged to, study Christ, rely on Christ, except from Ellen White and very few others.

There's the well-known statement from the SOP that it would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day meditating upon the life of Christ, especially that latter scenes. When this really began making sense to me was when I understood her statement that the "whole purpose" of Christ's earthly mission was the "revelation of God to set men right with Him." Now it makes perfect sense!

Given that the purpose of Christ's earthly mission was to reveal the Father, it makes perfect sense that we should study His life.

Also:

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. (DA 21)

Given that the power of Satan like in his deceiving us in regards to God's character, it stands to reason that the "anti-dote" would be knowing God as He is in truth, which again leads us back to studying Christ's life.

Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114435
06/09/09 04:20 AM
06/09/09 04:20 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
which can lead us to the cross, if we dont resist, then we can apply the formulas....but first things first.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114445
06/09/09 06:18 AM
06/09/09 06:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think the valid comparison is that the 1-year Christian is behind where he would have been, had he not wasted time. I don't think the 1-year Christian would care about this, though. The thing to care about are the souls lost because the 1-year Christian didn't respond to the Spirit of God earlier.

Those are even more important goodies to consider. But tq was asking about 1 person compared to another, so I tried to oblige.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: substitution [Re: asygo] #114457
06/09/09 04:28 PM
06/09/09 04:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Those who "work harder and longer" on earth will have advantages in heaven.

Arnold, as I see it, time is a very small factor in this. The most important aspect is the intensity of one's experience with God.

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that 'vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil,'--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity." {ST, January 22, 1902 par. 13}

Re: substitution [Re: Rosangela] #114464
06/09/09 07:21 PM
06/09/09 07:21 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
my question has to do with "justice" and "rewards". if the lost will burn according to their deeds then will the acceptors of grace get gradiated goodies, also? justice is justice, after all. smile

like, does one get a bigger, better mansion? more property?along those lines.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114466
06/09/09 08:10 PM
06/09/09 08:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Better views. Smaller maintenance fees. Elevator building. Cats OK.

Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114467
06/09/09 08:19 PM
06/09/09 08:19 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
You're just avoiding the issue of Lucifer. Simply turning a blind eye to it doesn't make it go away. If she thought in typical penal substitution terms, what she wrote about Lucifer simply doesn't make sense.

The issue of lucifer is no argument against Sister White supporting penal substitution, because she doesn't deal with penal substitution when dealing with Lucifer.

Establishing a legal precedent: judgements are precedents for a particular point of law only when the reasoning for that judgement was based on that point of law once it is actually argued in court. It's a rule of legal argument in court hearings that conclusions of the judge reached on grounds other than have been presented to the judge are not an authority for those, unargued grounds supporting that conclusion. Unless any lawyer argues a specific issue for the judge to decide the case on, whatever reasoning the judge does use to decide the case other than that specific, unargued issue means the judgement is not a precedent for the issue that wasn't argued.

I'm sure you followed the logic of that rule of legal procedure.

I bring up "precedents" because you're using Lucifer's case as a precedent, a principle, for God's operative justice in all cases: precedents, for anyone who doesn't know ;), are court decisions of higher courts which are binding on lower courts handling the same issue, and of course legal arguments in court generally use both statute and precedents in favour of the said case.

Therefore, Ellen White's emphasis on God's fairness with Lucifer, the issue she was arguing for on God's behalf in Lucifer's case, in heaven, is no argument against penal substitution - it being clearly presented in & for our case down here (when she speaks of man's salvation), since she didn't say anything to that point, in relation to the prelude to heaven's war.

You want evidence for your case, or against it? There's no evidence for your argument, so the matter ends there, I'm afraid, as in thrown out of court in your case against penal substitution.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!