HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,454 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 104 of 105 1 2 102 103 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123841
03/05/10 05:24 PM
03/05/10 05:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address 123803.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123842
03/05/10 05:49 PM
03/05/10 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: However, I assume you agree with me the deaf will not be offended when Jesus resurrects them without their handicap?

T: Those in the Deaf community don't view it as a handicap. This is another example of insensitivity. (I should have capitalized it before. "Deaf," as opposed to "deaf," differentiates between someone who is in the community as opposed to someone who cannot hear.

Do you agree with my comment above? Or, do you believe deaf people will be offended? Do you believe He will resurrect them without the sense of hearing?

Quote:
T: There will be billions of people present, all of them being individually judged. We're told that each one is made aware of their sins, where they deviated from the right path, and where God tried to reach them. How do you think this happens if not by God's communicating with them mind to mind?

M: Do you think any part of the final judgment will happen verbally or visually? If so, please explain your answer. Thank you.

T: You didn't answer my question. You didn't even address it. I already answered your question. I answered it, and pointed out that I answered it. Why need I answer it again? Why when I ask you a question to do you not answer it, but instead ask me a question I've already answered?

Frustrating, isn’t it! Sorry about that. Actually, you know what I believe about it, that is, you know I believe Jesus will resurrect them with all their senses in working order and that He will communicate everything verbally and visually. You also know I believe He will either resurrect them understanding the same language or with the ability to hear everything He says in their own language. The fact is I don’t know if you believe Jesus will communicate verbally and visually as well communicate mind-to-mind. Do you?

Quote:
M: Jesus told Ellen that the Father has a form like His. You seem to think the Father’s form is different than Jesus’ form. Why?

T: When she asked a form like Himself, she was asking "a form, like you have a form," not "a form which looks like your form."

M: I believe the Father has a form like Jesus' form.

T: You mean a human form?

M: I also believe the Father has a form like our form.

T: You mean a human form?

M: We were made in His image and likeness. I also believe we will be able to sit on our Father's lap and listen to Him tell stories. Does your view of the Father allow you to anticipate sitting on His lap?

T: How does this fit into our conversation? I must say I find your view of God's character to be rather schizophrenic. On the one hand, you picture God as One who would have us sin on His lap while telling us stories. This is a rather childish view, but in an endearing way. This isn't a something I've thought of, but I find no fault in it. Certainly God desires that we view Him as our Father, and the activity you're suggesting is a Father-like activity, although one usually considers it in the context of children. But you also hold to the idea that God will use fire to arbitrarily (as per Webster's primary definition) punish people. These (i.e. these two views of God's character) seem like strange bedfellows.

Yes, the Father has a “human form” like Jesus. And, no, neither Jesus nor the Father nor the Holy Spirit is schizophrenic. Punishing and destroying unredeemable sinners is in perfect harmony with law and justice, legitimate attributes of God’s character. I take it you don’t envision yourself sitting on God’s lap and listening to Him tell stories?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123851
03/06/10 09:20 PM
03/06/10 09:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Ellen wrote, "Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused."

She enumerates three things: 1) Satan will suffer for his sins, 2) for the sins of the saved, and 3) for causing the loss of souls. You, on the other hand, do not believe Satan will suffer as if he himself committed the sins of the saved.You believe he will merely suffer for tempting them to sin.

He'll suffer in accordance to his responsibility, exactly what is just. No more and no less. Not just in relation to the saved, but his responsibility for all, humans and angels.

Quote:
You believe one and two above are one and the same; whereas, Ellen plainly says otherwise.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea from. What I've said is that Satan will suffer in accordance to his responsibility, the same as everyone else. God doesn't arbitrarily treat Satan differently (worse) than anyone else. All suffer in accordance to their responsibility. No more and no less.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123852
03/06/10 09:44 PM
03/06/10 09:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: However, I assume you agree with me the deaf will not be offended when Jesus resurrects them without their handicap?

T: Those in the Deaf community don't view it as a handicap. This is another example of insensitivity. (I should have capitalized it before. "Deaf," as opposed to "deaf," differentiates between someone who is in the community as opposed to someone who cannot hear.

M:Do you agree with my comment above? Or, do you believe deaf people will be offended? Do you believe He will resurrect them without the sense of hearing?

I've already answered these questions.

Quote:
T: There will be billions of people present, all of them being individually judged. We're told that each one is made aware of their sins, where they deviated from the right path, and where God tried to reach them. How do you think this happens if not by God's communicating with them mind to mind?

M: Do you think any part of the final judgment will happen verbally or visually? If so, please explain your answer. Thank you.

T: You didn't answer my question. You didn't even address it. I already answered your question. I answered it, and pointed out that I answered it. Why need I answer it again? Why when I ask you a question to do you not answer it, but instead ask me a question I've already answered?

M:Frustrating, isn’t it!

It's character building.

Quote:
M:Sorry about that. Actually, you know what I believe about it, that is, you know I believe Jesus will resurrect them with all their senses in working order and that He will communicate everything verbally and visually. You also know I believe He will either resurrect them understanding the same language or with the ability to hear everything He says in their own language. The fact is I don’t know if you believe Jesus will communicate verbally and visually as well communicate mind-to-mind. Do you?

I don't think you understood my question. Or if you did, you still haven't answered it.

The SOP said God will show each one where they went astray, making clear to them the sin of their lives, and where He spoke to them. How does God do this? He doesn't publish this publicly, does He, for each one to hear? If He did this, the judgment would take millions of years. He communicates to each one personally, doesn't He?

You appear to think that because you speak a spoken language, then everyone else has to as well. Because you understand things visually, everyone else must as well. You look to be judging the whole world according to your own experience.

I think this idea is simplistic. Consider a deaf mute person. Your idea is that God will raise them from the dead with the ability to see and hear so that He can communicate to them visually, and He will give them the gift of "hearing" so they can hear in their own language, except that they don't have a language, because they don't know any spoken language. So what spoken language would God communicate to them in?

Why would it even cross your mind that this would be a superior solution to God's simply communicating to them the way He did throughout the entirety of their lives? Why would God create a brand new way of communicating to people? For what purpose?

Quote:
The fact is I don’t know if you believe Jesus will communicate verbally and visually as well communicate mind-to-mind.

But you do know. You made this clear in a previous post, where you spoke of my speaking of this visual communication in addition to the personal communication.

Quote:
Yes, the Father has a “human form” like Jesus.

So God looks like a human being is your idea. Do you think all worlds will see God as a human being? God created millions of worlds, none of which looked like Him, and then communicated human being, which do look like Him. That's the idea?

Quote:
And, no, neither Jesus nor the Father nor the Holy Spirit is schizophrenic.

I spoke of your views of God's character, not God.

Quote:
Punishing and destroying unredeemable sinners is in perfect harmony with law and justice, legitimate attributes of God’s character. I take it you don’t envision yourself sitting on God’s lap and listening to Him tell stories?

You have one view which is childlike (that's a better word than "childish," as the latter is pejorative; I should have said this), in a rather charming or endearing way. Then you have this other view which is horrific, having God artificially imposing suffering upon people to punish them (aka "torture"; e.g. "the infliction of intense pain (as from burning) to punish" -- Webster's). These don't go together.

IMO, you should keep the childlike one, but let the other one go.

Regarding my own thoughts on the lap question, I commented on this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123876
03/07/10 04:36 PM
03/07/10 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen wrote, "Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused."

She enumerates three things: 1) Satan will suffer for his sins, 2) for the sins of the saved, and 3) for causing the loss of souls. You, on the other hand, do not believe Satan will suffer as if he himself committed the sins of the saved.You believe he will merely suffer for tempting them to sin.

He'll suffer in accordance to his responsibility, exactly what is just. No more and no less. Not just in relation to the saved, but his responsibility for all, humans and angels.

Quote:
You believe one and two above are one and the same; whereas, Ellen plainly says otherwise.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea from. What I've said is that Satan will suffer in accordance to his responsibility, the same as everyone else. God doesn't arbitrarily treat Satan differently (worse) than anyone else. All suffer in accordance to their responsibility. No more and no less.

What you're saying isn't what I hear Ellen saying. I see a fundamental difference between the two. Again, she wrote, "Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused." She is clearly saying Satan will be punished as if he himself committed the sins of the saved. It is similar to how and why Jesus suffered for the sins of the world, as if He Himself committed them, and it is no less arbitrary. I hear you, on other hand, saying Satan will be punished for his role in tempting them to sin but not as though he himself committed their sins. Have I misunderstood you?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123877
03/07/10 05:03 PM
03/07/10 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: Do you agree with my comment above? Or, do you believe deaf people will be offended? Do you believe He will resurrect them without the sense of hearing?

T: I've already answered these questions.

Right, you said they don’t consider being deaf a handicap. Does that mean you believe Jesus will resurrect them without the sense of hearing? You have yet to answer this question clearly. If you think you have, please repost it here. I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Quote:

M: Frustrating, isn’t it! Sorry about that.

T: It's character building.

M: Actually, you know what I believe about it, that is, you know I believe Jesus will resurrect them with all their senses in working order and that He will communicate everything verbally and visually. You also know I believe He will either resurrect them understanding the same language or with the ability to hear everything He says in their own language. The fact is I don’t know if you believe Jesus will communicate verbally and visually as well as communicate mind-to-mind. Do you?

T: I don't think you understood my question. Or if you did, you still haven't answered it. The SOP said God will show each one where they went astray, making clear to them the sin of their lives, and where He spoke to them. How does God do this? He doesn't publish this publicly, does He, for each one to hear? If He did this, the judgment would take millions of years. He communicates to each one personally, doesn't He?

You appear to think that because you speak a spoken language, then everyone else has to as well. Because you understand things visually, everyone else must as well. You look to be judging the whole world according to your own experience.

I think this idea is simplistic. Consider a deaf mute person. Your idea is that God will raise them from the dead with the ability to see and hear so that He can communicate to them visually, and He will give them the gift of "hearing" so they can hear in their own language, except that they don't have a language, because they don't know any spoken language. So what spoken language would God communicate to them in?

Why would it even cross your mind that this would be a superior solution to God's simply communicating to them the way He did throughout the entirety of their lives? Why would God create a brand new way of communicating to people? For what purpose?

You didn’t answer my question. Do you believe Jesus will communicate verbally, visually, and mind-to-mind? Or, do you think He will only communicate mind-to-mind? If you think you have, please repost it here. I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Quote:
M: Yes, the Father has a “human form” like Jesus.

T: So God looks like a human being is your idea. Do you think all worlds will see God as a human being? God created millions of worlds, none of which looked like Him, and then communicated human being, which do look like Him. That's the idea?

They all see the form of God as it really is – like human. They also see Jesus as He really is - like human. I take it you disagree?

Quote:
M: And, no, neither Jesus nor the Father nor the Holy Spirit is schizophrenic.

T: I spoke of your views of God's character, not God.

No, according to the view of God’s character I have adopted He is not schizophrenic.

Quote:
M: Punishing and destroying unredeemable sinners is in perfect harmony with law and justice, legitimate attributes of God’s character. I take it you don’t envision yourself sitting on God’s lap and listening to Him tell stories?

T: You have one view which is childlike (that's a better word than "childish," as the latter is pejorative; I should have said this), in a rather charming or endearing way. Then you have this other view which is horrific, having God artificially imposing suffering upon people to punish them (aka "torture"; e.g. "the infliction of intense pain (as from burning) to punish" -- Webster's). These don't go together. IMO, you should keep the childlike one, but let the other one go. Regarding my own thoughts on the lap question, I commented on this.

What is childlike about believing the Father has a physical form like Jesus’ that we will be able to sit on and listen to Him tell stories? Do you not believe the Father has a lap we will be able to sit on? Or, do you think since He is a “spirit” He doesn’t have a lap we’ll be able to sit on? If you think you’ve already answered this question, please repost it here. I can’t find where you answered it.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123878
03/07/10 05:04 PM
03/07/10 05:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please respond to 123840 (bottom of previous page). Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123887
03/07/10 09:47 PM
03/07/10 09:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: The law is a transcript of God's character. I've been asking all along how you think it's possible that God would act contrary to His own character. That the wicked will be destroyed and punished is fine, and to suggest that this is in harmony with the demands of the law, or, which is equivalent, God's character, is fine to. Provided we understand God's character, this will lead to a correct understanding, IMO. Where I see a problem is if we think God will use artificial means to destroy and punish, such as setting people on fire. This would be torture, and is contrary to God's character.

M:Jesus employed fire to destroy thousands of men, women, and children without violating the law or being in contradiction of Himself.

No He didn't. When the disciples urged Him to destroy with fire, He replied, "You know not of what spirit you are." Christ was never of any spirit other than the spirit of Christ. Satan is the destroyer. The Lord, Jesus Christ, is the restorer.

Quote:
There is nothing arbitrary about Jesus executing justice and judgment.

I agree! No artificial, imposed punishment! Only the suffering and death which comes as a result of sin. Nothing arbitrary.

Quote:
In doing so He is merely acting in harmony with the just and loving demands of law and justice.

Agreed! God permits Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin.

Quote:

T: 1.Jesus Christ has no desire to destroy. 2.Destruction certainly would not vindicate God's character. Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer. God's character is vindicated by making this truth known, which the judgment will make clear.

M: I disagree.

T: So you're thinking is the following? 1.Jesus Christ desires to destroy. 2.Destruction vindicates God's character. 3.Satan is the restorer, God is the destroyer. 4.God's character is not vindicated by making known that He is the restorer and Satan is the destroyer.

M:Yes, to 1 and 2; no to 3 and 4.

Jesus has no desire to destroy. God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

Destruction is of the devil. "Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer." Destruction is of the devil, while restoration is of the Lord. Destruction comes as the Lord's principles are ignored. Not as a result of the Lord taking arbitrary destructive imposed action, but as a result of ignoring the life-giving principles He gives.

[qutoe]Jesus desires to do what is right and righteous, no matter how much He wishes circumstances didn’t force Him to punish and destroy unredeemable sinners.[/quote]

This is true, but punishment and destruction comes not as the result of arbitrary, destructive, imposed, artificial acts of power from God, but as the result of sin. Suffering, misery and death are the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
God is the life-giver. From the beginning, all His laws were ordained to life. But sin broke in upon the order that God had established, and discord followed. So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable.(God's Amazing Grace 73)

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #123902
03/08/10 02:47 AM
03/08/10 02:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, referring to 123887 (the post above this one), from whence came the fire that burned alive Nadab and Abihu, the 250 men who lamented Korah's death, and the two bands of fifty who sought Elijah?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #123924
03/08/10 10:17 PM
03/08/10 10:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

MM:What you're saying isn't what I hear Ellen saying.

I'm saying that Satan suffers exactly in accordance to his responsibility; no more and no less, just like any other individual. This is the very definition of justice. One is treated according to one's responsibility. You disagree with this?

Quote:
I see a fundamental difference between the two. Again, she wrote, "Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused." She is clearly saying Satan will be punished as if he himself committed the sins of the saved.

As I understand how you are describing things, this wouldn't be just. Satan suffers according to his responsibility. He doesn't suffer more than what he's responsible for.

Quote:
It is similar to how and why Jesus suffered for the sins of the world, as if He Himself committed them, and it is no less arbitrary. I hear you, on other hand, saying Satan will be punished for his role in tempting them to sin but not as though he himself committed their sins. Have I misunderstood you?

I'm saying Satan will be treated no differently than any other individual in the judgment in terms of justice and responsibility. He will suffer according to his responsibility, just as everyone else. God is not a respecter of persons. He treats each one, including Satan, justly.

Page 104 of 105 1 2 102 103 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!