HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114491
06/10/09 01:28 AM
06/10/09 01:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There could be no penal substitution for Lucifer, because there was no way to save him.

Au contraire!

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 496)

All he had to do was repent and submit and he would have been saved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114492
06/10/09 01:31 AM
06/10/09 01:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Colin, we just look at this differently. Here's how I look at:

1.Sin is destructive. It results in death. It's like poison. We need to be saved from it.
2.Because of sin's danger, God warns us from it.
3.Satan misrepresents God's character, presenting Him as doing that which sin does.
4.God gives us Christ, in order to save us from Sin.

God's role is ever that of Savior/Warner. So that right way of looking at it is, "If you sin, you will die," as opposed to, "If you sin, I will annihilate you in hell."

You look at the problem as a court problem, to be solved by legal maneuverings. What I see are sin-sick human beings, who need to be saved from sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114496
06/10/09 02:22 AM
06/10/09 02:22 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
C: The issue of lucifer is no argument against Sister White supporting penal substitution, because she doesn't deal with penal substitution when dealing with Lucifer.
T: That's the point! If penal substitution were correct, she'd have to. There's no difference in logic applied to Lucifer or men. The "just demands of the law" would apply equally.

There could be no penal substitution for Lucifer, because there was no way to save him.Man was put on probation - he fell - the cross of Christ provided a second probation to him.
Satan was put on probation - he fell - no second probation would avail for him.

clarifying here. before or after he made his final choice?

and for all our info, the angels did have a tree to test their allegience. i would assume they passed that test, but at some point thoughts still occured to lucifer. others may make assumptions that make more sense to them.

A tree?....possibly..., as only God is immortal. P&P ch.1 is good on Lucifer's path to inventing iniquity.

no, the tree of knowledge but i cant find where i think i saw it. ive been skimming a lot today and my mind may have connected "tree" with "probation". oh well.....

there are several chapters that are good to read about lucifer. they all add thoughts left out by the other chapters.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114500
06/10/09 03:14 AM
06/10/09 03:14 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Colin, we just look at this differently. Here's how I look at:

1.Sin is destructive. It results in death. It's like poison. We need to be saved from it.
2.Because of sin's danger, God warns us from it.
3.Satan misrepresents God's character, presenting Him as doing that which sin does.
4.God gives us Christ, in order to save us from Sin.

God's role is ever that of Savior/Warner. So that right way of looking at it is, "If you sin, you will die," as opposed to, "If you sin, I will annihilate you in hell."

You look at the problem as a court problem, to be solved by legal maneuverings. What I see are sin-sick human beings, who need to be saved from sin.
He was shown that while the sacrifice of Christ would be of sufficient value to save the whole world, many would choose a life of sin rather than of repentance and obedience. Crime would increase through successive generations, and the curse of sin would rest more and more heavily upon the human race, upon the beasts, and upon the earth. The days of man would be shortened by his own course of sin; he would deteriorate in physical stature and endurance and in moral and intellectual power, until the world would be filled with misery of every type. Through the indulgence of appetite and passion men would become incapable of appreciating the great truths of the plan of redemption. Yet Christ, true to the purpose for which He left heaven, would continue His interest in men, and still invite them to hide their weakness and deficiencies in Him. He would supply the needs of all who would come unto Him in faith. ... {PP 67.3}

The sacrificial offerings were ordained by God to be to man a perpetual reminder and a penitential acknowledgment of his sin and a confession of his faith in the promised Redeemer.

They were intended to impress upon the fallen race the solemn truth that it was sin that caused death.

To Adam, the offering of the first sacrifice was a most painful ceremony. His hand must be raised to take life, which only God could give. It was the first time he had ever witnessed death, and he knew that had he been obedient to God, there would have been no death of man or beast. As he slew the innocent victim, he trembled at the thought that his sin must shed the blood of the spotless Lamb of God. This scene gave him a deeper and more vivid sense of the greatness of his transgression, which nothing but the death of God's dear Son could expiate. And he marveled at the infinite goodness that would give such a ransom to save the guilty. A star of hope illumined the dark and terrible future and relieved it of its utter desolation. {PP 68.1}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114501
06/10/09 03:28 AM
06/10/09 03:28 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
When he tempted and overcame Adam and Eve, he thought that he had gained possession of this world; "because," said he, "they have chosen me as their ruler." He claimed that it was impossible that forgiveness should be granted to the sinner, and therefore the fallen race were his rightful subjects, and the world was his. But God gave His own dear Son--one equal with Himself--to bear the penalty of transgression, and thus He provided a way by which they might be restored to His favor, and brought back to their Eden home. Christ undertook to redeem man and to rescue the world from the grasp of Satan. The great controversy begun in heaven was to be decided in the very world, on the very same field, that Satan claimed as his. {PP 69.2}

!!se llama justicia!! this is Gods justice, freeing the guilty while still upholding His law, and it ticks satan off no end!!

Quote:
Now the guilt of Satan stood forth without excuse. His lying charges against the divine character and government appeared in their true light. He had accused God of seeking merely the exaltation of himself in requiring submission and obedience from his creatures, and had declared that while the Creator exacted self-denial from all others, he himself practiced no self-denial, and made no sacrifice. Now it was seen that for the salvation of a fallen and sinful race, the Ruler of the universe had made the greatest sacrifice which God could make. It was seen, also, that while Lucifer had opened the door for the entrance of sin, by his desire for honor and supremacy, Christ had, in order to destroy sin, humbled himself, and become obedient unto death. {4SP 322.2}
God had manifested his abhorrence of the principles of rebellion. All Heaven saw his justice revealed, both in the condemnation of Satan and in the redemption of man. Lucifer had declared God's law to be of such a character that its penalty could not be remitted, and therefore every transgressor must be forever debarred from the Creator's favor. He had claimed that the sinful race were placed beyond redemption, and were therefore his rightful prey. But the death of Christ was an argument in man's behalf that could not be turned aside. He suffered the penalty of the law. God was just in permitting his wrath to fall upon Him who was equal with himself, and man was set free to accept the righteousness of Christ, and by a life of penitence and humiliation to triumph as the Son of God had triumphed over the power of Satan. {4SP 323.1}
God's law stands fully vindicated. He is just, and yet the justifier of all who believe in Jesus. Nothing less than this plan of atonement could convince the whole universe of God's justice. {4SP 323.2}

this is what God wants us to behold and become like.

Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114511
06/10/09 12:15 PM
06/10/09 12:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Very interesting! I'm sure I've read this, but somehow missed this part:

Quote:
Nothing less than this plan of atonement could convince the whole universe of God's justice.{4SP 323.2}

Is this implying that had man not sinned that the Plan of Atonement would still have had to have been enacted? Seems to be, doesn't it? Or perhaps the context is taking into account the sin of man, so this statement cannot be generalized to the case where man did not sin?

Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114518
06/10/09 01:42 PM
06/10/09 01:42 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
There could be no penal substitution for Lucifer, because there was no way to save him.

Au contraire!

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 496)

If any of us believe that everything that Ellen White has said has authority to establish doctrine. Then quotes like that and many others will lead into confusion and can be contrary to Bible truth.

So, to me, this has no weight, and we need to seek what the Bible says. If no one can find these Bible texts that clearly says that there is no pardon for Rebellion; then this weekend I'll make it a duty to bring these here.

I believe Satan committed the sin against the Holy Spirit when he chose to engage in a pure Rebellion scheme. I'm sure there was a progression in his thinking before he resolved to a rebellious position. But was that sin? Having questions is that Sin?

During his quetioning time and realization of "self" time, I would see that God did everything possible in showing clearly His love and works, so that Lucifers questions and thinking wouldn't have any reason to conclude the accusations he aimed at God.

Despite of God's revelations and Truths, Lucifer chose to Rebel. The angels that ranked with him, commited the same sin which there's no forgiveness possible. I'm sure God would of had forgiven them and died for them, if there was possibility of return, but I believe there was none. However, we don't know much about this for the Bible does not expand much on this. So what the Bible doesn't reveal, we should not go into speculation.

Blessings
Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114523
06/10/09 02:27 PM
06/10/09 02:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: There could be no penal substitution for Lucifer, because there was no way to save him.
T: Au contraire!

Tom, man only needed to be saved after he fell. You must apply the same to Lucifer.

Re: substitution [Re: Elle] #114531
06/10/09 05:10 PM
06/10/09 05:10 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Quote:

Au contraire!

Quote:

If any of us believe that everything that Ellen White has said has authority to establish doctrine. Then quotes like that and many others will lead into confusion and can be contrary to Bible truth.

So, to me, this has no weight, and we need to seek what the Bible says. If no one can find these Bible texts that clearly says that there is no pardon for Rebellion; then this weekend I'll make it a duty to bring these here.

I believe Satan committed the sin against the Holy Spirit when he chose to engage in a pure Rebellion scheme. I'm sure there was a progression in his thinking before he resolved to a rebellious position. But was that sin? Having questions is that Sin?

During his quetioning time and realization of "self" time, I would see that God did everything possible in showing clearly His love and works, so that Lucifers questions and thinking wouldn't have any reason to conclude the accusations he aimed at God.

Despite of God's revelations and Truths, Lucifer chose to Rebel. The angels that ranked with him, commited the same sin which there's no forgiveness possible. I'm sure God would of had forgiven them and died for them, if there was possibility of return, but I believe there was none. However, we don't know much about this for the Bible does not expand much on this. So what the Bible doesn't reveal, we should not go into speculation.

SOP has helped establish doctrine after deadlock in Bible study, so it's not altogether true it played no part: SOP is a "continuing source of authority and truth": isn't that what it says in our beliefs?

As my last word to Tom mentioned that the Bible and SOP don't speak to this, so we can't speculate as far as Tom does, Rosangela's point of Lucifer's fall being final looks good since I agree with him committing the unforgivable sin.

Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114533
06/10/09 05:46 PM
06/10/09 05:46 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Colin
Originally Posted By: Elle
Quote:

Au contraire!

Quote:

SOP has helped establish doctrine after deadlock in Bible study, so it's not altogether true it played no part: SOP is a "continuing source of authority and truth": isn't that what it says in our beliefs?

Hi Colin, I haven't read the whole context of the quote Tom brought here, however, this quote does say that Lucifer could of been pardon without the shedding of the blood of Christ. So that is quite a strong EGW quote that can negate the belief of "penal substitution".

Blessings
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!