HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: substitution [Re: Rosangela] #114673
06/12/09 04:03 PM
06/12/09 04:03 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
At any rate, the issue that I've been consistently arguing against is the idea that God needed Christ's sacrifice in order to be able to pardon sin. The SOP statement dealing with God's treatment of Lucifer shows this clearly isn't the case.

We've discussed this too much in the past, and it would be useless to discuss it any further, but the need for an atonement arises in the case of willful sins. God must vindicate His law. Pardon for willful sin (rebellion against God's law) without an atonement would plunge the universe into anarchy. Therefore, God needs an atonement in order to forgive.

Yes, and equally SOP is absolutely clear on the constitutional necessity of executing the penalty for transgression and any sin, too. That cannot be negated by anything implicit: it needs express revocation - this isn't the British constitution, but God's own. God needs an atoning sacrifice in order to forgive.

Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114674
06/12/09 04:23 PM
06/12/09 04:23 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
At any rate, the issue that I've been consistently arguing against is the idea that God needed Christ's sacrifice in order to be able to pardon sin. The SOP statement dealing with God's treatment of Lucifer shows this clearly isn't the case.

We've discussed this too much in the past, and it would be useless to discuss it any further, but the need for an atonement arises in the case of willful sins. God must vindicate His law. Pardon for willful sin (rebellion against God's law) without an atonement would plunge the universe into anarchy. Therefore, God needs an atonement in order to forgive.

Yes, and equally SOP is absolutely clear on the constitutional necessity of executing the penalty for transgression and any sin, too. That cannot be negated by anything implicit: it needs express revocation - this isn't the British constitution, but God's own. God needs an atoning sacrifice in order to forgive.

sorry, my brother, this doesnt/hasnt sounded like any bible/sop ive read. it is completely alien to what i have read from those. but it does sound like a courtroom which i have never equated with the bible/God/sanctuary.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114676
06/12/09 05:04 PM
06/12/09 05:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God needs an atoning sacrifice in order to forgive.

I see several problems with this assertion.

1.Jesus never hints at this idea.
2.It's not Scriptural in general. That is, there is no place in Scripture that says that God needs an atoning sacrifice to forgive.
3.The concept that sacrifice was needed to enable God to forgive is not a Jewish concept.
4.It's not a concept that existed in the time of Paul anywhere.
5.It's not an idea that the church fathers had, as evidenced by the fact that the idea didn't make it into the Eastern Orthodox church.
6.That the EO church doesn't have this idea is evidence while the RC church did points to its true origin.
7.Regarding the SOP, it doesn't agree with her description of the facts viz a viz Lucifer.
8.It portrays God in a negative light.
9.It obscures the real issue, and misidentifies the real problem.

Regarding 9, the problem is not a legal one that needs to be solved by legal maneuverings. Even without the law, you'd have the same problem, and the same solution. The law served simply to make known facts. It didn't change or alter what had happened or needed to happen to solve the problem.

What was the problem? The problem is that Lucifer wanted to exalt himself. In order to do so, he misrepresented God's character, vesting God with his own characteristics, meaning that he accused God of wanting glory for Himself, of being harsh and arbitrary, and not having the best interest of His creatures at heart, when these were actually characteristics which pertained to himself, not to God at all. This was the way that he deceived men and angels.

The solution to the problem is getting the truth out. But this is a very difficult thing to do. If someone accuses you of something, particularly if it involves your character, simply accusing the accuser isn't enough to resolve the issue; it's looks like you're a copy cat. You've got two people pointing their fingers at one another. They look the same.

In order for the difference to be seen, it was necessary for the fruit of the two different kingdoms, or paradigms, or governments, be seen. This takes time. The cross was the coup de grace of a process God had been working on for a long time. At this point, the battle was won. Not for reasons of legal maneuverings, but for reasons of light and truth.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114685
06/12/09 07:24 PM
06/12/09 07:24 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:

sorry, my brother, this doesnt/hasnt sounded like any bible/sop ive read. it is completely alien to what i have read from those. but it does sound like a courtroom which i have never equated with the bible/God/sanctuary.

Not forgetting Rosangela and I are both speaking of law enforcement, and penalty being applied for sins unrepented of, here's the SOP I was referring to. God's justice against the wicked is his avenging judgement for rejection of his gift of his Son to this world. Acceptance of his gift starts experience of his grace and mercy.
Quote:
The transgression of God's law in a single instance, in the smallest particular, is sin. And the nonexecution of the penalty of that sin would be a crime in the divine administration. God is a judge, the Avenger of justice, which is the habitation and the foundation of His throne. He cannot dispense with His law; He cannot do away with its smallest item in order to meet and pardon sin. The rectitude, justice, and moral excellence of the law must be maintained and vindicated before the heavenly universe and the worlds unfallen.--Manuscript 145, Dec. 30, 1897, "Notes of Work." {UL 378.6}

Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114687
06/12/09 08:01 PM
06/12/09 08:01 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA

Courtroom? The constitution I mentioned or what brought that to mind for you?

Re: substitution [Re: Colin] #114690
06/12/09 08:25 PM
06/12/09 08:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
When we deal with man-made laws and divine laws, there's a fundamental difference. Man-made laws are arbitrary, while divine laws are descriptive.

For example, if there's a parking spot that says "No Parking," nothing inherently bad happens if you park there. Arbitrarily, a fine has been set, and a traffic office might come by, spot your car, and give you a ticked.

Divine laws carry their penalty on the face of them. They don't need to be arbitrarily enforced, because they carry their own penalty. They are like the law against running a red light, in a way, as opposed to no parking. If you run a red light, that's inherently dangerous. The penalty this infraction may bring upon it is that you might get in a car accident. This would be an example of a non-arbitrary penalty.

If you break one of God's commandments, you invariably cause damage to yourself and others. Any infraction of God's laws are contrary to the principles of God's government, which alone are principles which promote life, health, and happiness. To break these laws is to bring death, suffering and misery upon yourself. Not because *God* does something to make you die, suffer or be miserable, but because such is the lot of the selfish.

Because sinners would instantly die if God did not do something artificial to prolong our existence, God has done so for Satan and his followers (including our fallen race) in order that the principles of His government may be seen in comparison with the principles of the enemy. If order to bring justice and avenge Himself, it is sufficient for God to reveal the truth to each one, and stop doing this artificial thing.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: substitution [Re: teresaq] #114704
06/12/09 11:34 PM
06/12/09 11:34 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
Hi Colin, I haven't read the whole context of the quote Tom brought here, however, this quote does say that Lucifer could of been pardon without the shedding of the blood of Christ. So that is quite a strong EGW quote that can negate the belief of "penal substitution".

teresa: the question, elle, is, is penal substitution biblical? have we been taught penal substitution and therefore read the bible in that light?

Don't know what I said to this last time..., but both you two, courtesy of Tom, aren't looking also at the Bible and SOP on the judgement of God against sin with hell fire, and everything placing any human there. How Lucifer gets there is his own fault, and immaterial to our salvation, since Lucifer isn't a candidate for salvation, being the first in the queue for God's judgement of hell.

Is there a penalty for sin? Yes, we all agree on that. Is it purely down to hanging on to sin, and not about God punishing all persistant rebels against his government? NO!! - but Tom says yes..., in his own words, doesn't he?! What has Tom missed, while he only shows you a few select quotes for his alternative to our avenging God, Judge of this world? Has he misrepresented Ellen White's total teaching on God's mercy & justice?

Have you two remembered the end of Jn 3, where Jesus says disbelieving his gospel is a condemning choice? No-one is judged for continuing in sin!! It's rejecting God's gospel of his Son which brings judgement!

Did God judge the continuously wicked world of Noah only by turning away, and letting natural, sinful mayhem reign? Didn't God unleash & control, that is inflict, that judgement of flooding the earth in every single part of it happening? Isn't Rev 20 accurate enough in saying that the wicked are punished for their unconfessed and unforgiven sins, with fire and death from heaven? - or is it all figurative of the brightness of God's glory terrorising the wicked to death? What sort of judgement scene is that, with a great white throne? Real judge, real judgement of God, real, direct punishment: eternal annihilation - That's Sister White's description of it! - remember??

I have no doubt God clears up any and all confusion and doubt left among men as to what sin is, but he equally clears up what his holiness and justice and grace is: during the probation of grace God is lenient and merciful - and just, against our sin placed on our substitute, but in that day he is the living, avenging Judge of the universe.

EGW is unambiguous that the penalty of sin has to be executed by God on the sinner, in Christ, so that salvation from God's law's penalty can be just and not pardoning without God himself atoning for his people. God graceously for us executes the penalty for our sins on our sin bearer, his own dear Son: EGW says that unless the Father upheld his law on himself against us in Christ, his character would be impeached. She's equally clear that those who reject that graceous salvation from his justice shall receive his justice in full measure, with real fire burning proportionate to their evil deeds till they are destroyed body and soul.

Does God not destroy sin, root and branch, body and soul, in all who have rejected his mercy and grace? Didn't Jesus himself - Tom's last line of defence when avoiding Revelation and teh Pauline epistles - warn all men to fear and respect God who can destroy body and soul, while sin by itself and its inventor, Satan, cannot?!

Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114708
06/13/09 12:31 AM
06/13/09 12:31 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If God doesn't kill people who sin, that means there's something wrong with His law? I don't think so.

It's not that God kills people who sin, but that sin must be judged.
Sin is not something which affects just the person who commits it. Sin is something which transcends the person, affects the whole universe, and must be dealt with at a universal level. Therefore, it must be judged. However, when sin is judged, this produces in the transgressor a weight of guilt which inevitably leads to death. This is the penalty of the law, the legal requirement which Christ met. Our sin was judged in Him, so that we don’t have to face its judgment and bear the weight of its guilt. To be in harmony with His own character, God couldn’t abstain from judging sin, God couldn’t pardon without judging sin, so He judged it in Christ. God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned and, at the same time, sin could be judged and condemned as it should be.

Quote:
R: We've discussed this too much in the past, and it would be useless to discuss it any further,
T: They are parties here who weren't before that aren't aware of that discussion.

I would recommend to them the thread The Atonement, where the subject was extensively discussed.

Re: substitution [Re: Rosangela] #114715
06/13/09 01:46 AM
06/13/09 01:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If God doesn't kill people who sin, that means there's something wrong with His law? I don't think so.

R:It's not that God kills people who sin, but that sin must be judged.

I think making known the truth is the judgment of sin.

Quote:
Sin is not something which affects just the person who commits it. Sin is something which transcends the person, affects the whole universe, and must be dealt with at a universal level. Therefore, it must be judged.

Isn't the judgment making the truth known? The investigative judgment reveals the truth for the angels and unfallen worlds. The judgment during the 1,000 years does the same for saved human beings. And finally there's the judgment of the wicked, which reveals the truth to them.

Quote:
However, when sin is judged, this produces in the transgressor a weight of guilt which inevitably leads to death.

Agreed! The wicked cannot bear the truth. The light of the glory of God (the revelation of His character) which gives life to the righteous will slay the wicked.

Quote:
This is the penalty of the law, the legal requirement which Christ met.

I don't understand why you would conceive of this as something legal or as a requirement. It just is. The judgment reveals the truth, which is something the wicked cannot bear. As you point out, it brings a crushing load of guilt, which they cannot bear.

Quote:
Our sin was judged in Him, so that we don’t have to face its judgment and bear the weight of its guilt.

Our sin was revealed in Him, so that we can understand it, and Satan, as well as ourselves, and Christ, and God. As we behold God's character and love, our hearts are drawn to Him. As we repent of our sin, it is removed from our lives. Not having known sin means God can reveal Himself to us without destroying us.

Quote:
To be in harmony with His own character, God couldn’t abstain from judging sin, God couldn’t pardon without judging sin, so He judged it in Christ.

But this isn't the problem. The problem is that sin is destroying us, and causes us to view Him in ways He is not. We need to be saved from sin and reconciled to God. Giving us Christ was the only way to accomplish this.

It seems your thinking is God reasons like this: "I'd really like to forgive Rosangela, but I can't because I must judge sin. What will I do? Oh, I know! I'll put her sin on Christ and judge it there. Then I'll be free to do what I want." Is this right?

Quote:
God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned and, at the same time, sin could be judged and condemned as it should be.

I agree with this 100%, but this means something very different to me than to you. Certainly everyone would agree with the first part, "God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned," but our difference is I see this as follows:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.

Regarding the following part, that this allows sin to be judged and condemned as it should be, I agree with this as well, the principle being explained by Christ in the parable of the wheat and the tares, as well as DA 764.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

To judge and condemn sin, it must be seen for what it is.

God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned and, at the same time, sin could be judged and condemned as it should be.

Re: substitution [Re: Tom] #114717
06/13/09 02:09 AM
06/13/09 02:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Don't know what I said to this last time..., but both you two, courtesy of Tom, aren't looking also at the Bible and SOP on the judgement of God against sin with hell fire, and everything placing any human there. How Lucifer gets there is his own fault, and immaterial to our salvation, since Lucifer isn't a candidate for salvation, being the first in the queue for God's judgement of hell.

How Lucifer gets there is not immaterial to our salvation. Understanding the principles of sin, judgment and righteousness is material.

Quote:
Is there a penalty for sin? Yes, we all agree on that.

Good to here you say this.

Quote:
Is it purely down to hanging on to sin, and not about God punishing all persistant rebels against his government? NO!! - but Tom says yes.

No, I say no. Colin, I don't understand why in nearly every post I have to keep repeating the request for you to quote me as opposed to misrepresenting what I've said. I really don't understand this. Please stop doing this.

I've quoted the following many times:

Quote:
If the governor of a State should indiscriminately pardon all offenses against the law, it would absolutely abolish all restraint of law. The motive in his mind might be love, but the love would be so unwisely and imprudently manifested that it would lead to anarchy and misery. The same is true of the Governor of the universe. His love and his wisdom are one. His pardoning power must be so exercised in “wisdom and prudence” as to lead men to unity and joy, and not to anarchy and misery, else it is not love....Sin is secession from the government of God. Satan seceded, and sought to exalt his throne above that of God. Sinners are those who have joined themselves to Satan’s forces in the secession. God, in infinite love, sends his own and only Son to put down the rebellion. He cannot pardon those who are still in rebellion, for this would but justify the rebellion and dishonor the law, and so perpetuate and multiply the misery. But through Jesus this rebellion is finally to be put down entirely. (God is Love)

It should be clear from the fact that I keep quoting this that I believe that rebels must be dealt with. Where we differ is as to what the punishment consists of. Is it something arbitrary God does to them, or is it the result of choosing sin?

Quote:
in his own words, doesn't he?!

No!

Quote:
Have you two remembered the end of Jn 3, where Jesus says disbelieving his gospel is a condemning choice? No-one is judged for continuing in sin!! It's rejecting God's gospel of his Son which brings judgement!

This is precisely what I've been saying. The gospel is the way of salvation. If it's rejecting, only death can follow. Since the Gospel is the only way of being saved from sin, of course rejecting it must be a condemning choice.

Jesus explains how this works:

Quote:
46I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

47And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

48He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. (John 12)

The judgment comes as a rejection of truth. God sends us truth, which would save us, but if reject it, we must be lost.

Quote:
EGW says that unless the Father upheld his law on himself against us in Christ, his character would be impeached.

I agree with this, and believe Fifield's quote above deals with the how and why of this.

Quote:
She's equally clear that those who reject that graceous salvation from his justice shall receive his justice in full measure, with real fire burning proportionate to their evil deeds till they are destroyed body and soul.

She's very clear that they are not destroyed by literal fire. DA 764 and DA 108 make this very clear.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (764)

The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (108)

Sin is lethal. It is not innocuous. It's not that we would be fine in transgression if only God would leave us alone.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!