HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,606
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 91 1 2 3 4 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #114301
06/07/09 05:06 AM
06/07/09 05:06 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Ok, the posts regarding the 100 year theory have been moved to a new topic, so discussion on the plagues may continue here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #114612
06/11/09 07:36 PM
06/11/09 07:36 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
now there is this,
Quote:
Finally, the God of heaven suffered the firstborn of both man and beast to be slain, and when Pharaoh looked upon their dying forms he began to understand who the great I AM was--that there was a power above, whom Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, could not compete with or overcome with all his experience and resistance. Therefore he said to the children of Israel, "Go." {1SAT 109.3}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #114670
06/12/09 03:24 PM
06/12/09 03:24 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
First of all, let's establish who was responsible for the death of the first-born in Egypt:
Quote:
All the firstborn in the land...and all the first-born of cattle,' had been smitten by the destroyer.(PP 278-280)
Who is "the destroyer"?
Quote:
Satan is the destroyer.God cannot bless those who refuse to be faithful stewards. All He can do is to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work. ... (6T 388, 389)
Quote:
Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power. Satan is the destroyer; God is the restorer. (The Ministry of Healing, 112, 113.)
[The above is a condensed version of Tom's post.]

Tom,

If you believe that so easily, taking separate passages of Mrs. White out of their context and linking them together loosely this way, I've got something to sell you. smile

Here it is: You better watch out for Jesus, or He'll eat you! Note the following passages:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The Saviour is presented before John under the symbols of "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and of "a Lamb as it had been slain." Revelation 5:5, 6. These symbols represent the union of omnipotent power and self-sacrificing love. The Lion of Judah, so terrible to the rejectors of His grace, will be the Lamb of God to the obedient and faithful. The pillar of fire that speaks terror and wrath to the transgressor of God's law is a token of light and mercy and deliverance to those who have kept His commandments. The arm strong to smite the rebellious will be strong to deliver the loyal. Everyone who is faithful will be saved. "He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." Matthew 24:31. {AA 589.2}

Originally Posted By: The Bible
I said, I shall not see the LORD, even the LORD, in the land of the living: I shall behold man no more with the inhabitants of the world. Mine age is departed, and is removed from me as a shepherd's tent: I have cut off like a weaver my life: he will cut me off with pining sickness: from day even to night wilt thou make an end of me. I reckoned till morning, that, as a lion, so will he break all my bones: from day even to night wilt thou make an end of me. (Isaiah 38:11-13, KJV)

The Lion of Judah, whose wrath will be so terrible to the rejecters of his grace, will be the Lamb of God to the obedient and faithful. The pillar of cloud will speak terror and wrath to the transgressor of God's law, but light and mercy and deliverance to those who have kept his commandments. The Arm strong to smite the rebellious, will be strong to deliver the loyal.... {RH, January 11, 1887 par. 22}

Oh, and this quote was rather interesting...
The voice of one in authority spoke with great decision, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. Read the directions given by the only-begotten Son of God when enshrouded in the cloudy pillar. When that voice is obeyed, ye will not give your voice or influence to any policy to enrich a few, to bring oppression and suffering to the poorer class of humanity. There is in this excitement just what separates those of the same faith. Is this bearing the divine credentials? Beware. See that your arm is not linked in the arm of a personal demon. He is in appearance as a man. He is walking about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour, and he finds them among Seventh-day Adventists. He can terrify by his roaring; but, when it suits his purposes best, he has the sweet voice of an angel of light and speaks of heavenly things. Does he not know all about heavenly glory? {TM 332.2}

Of course, is that the only lion?

Jesus is "the Lion" as well as "the Lamb." But is that the only "lion"? As the answer to this should be obvious, my response to you should bear a message equally obvious...one cannot loosely take quotes out of context and link them together to prove something here.

Satan is not the only destroyer. He's just the only one who destroys happily and with intent to strike at the heart of the God who created and loves us so much to die in our place. That same God, to save some and to preserve the happiness of His faithful ones, will be terrible to the wicked while at the same time a wall of protection to His faithful ones.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #114680
06/12/09 06:04 PM
06/12/09 06:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The whole question is who the destroyer is, as we're told they "had been smitten by the destroyer." We know for a fact that Satan is the destroyer. The question is, is there some other destroyer that enters into the question as well.

The texts taken from the SOP deal with principles. For example:

Quote:
Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power. Satan is the destroyer; God is the Restorer. (MM11)

This isn't simply an isolated statement saying that Satan is the destroyer, but it articulates important principles. For example, "Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power."

Here's another principle:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power.(DA 759)

My argument regarding the plagues in Egypt was not limited to simply identifying Satan as the destroyer, but upon consider a number of principles, including these above.

Another point is that she said that the plagues of Egypt were similar in character to the final plagues, regarding which we read:

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #114762
06/14/09 05:33 AM
06/14/09 05:33 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
now there is this,
Quote:
Finally, the God of heaven suffered the firstborn of both man and beast to be slain, and when Pharaoh looked upon their dying forms he began to understand who the great I AM was--that there was a power above, whom Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, could not compete with or overcome with all his experience and resistance. Therefore he said to the children of Israel, "Go." {1SAT 109.3}

suffered means allowed. so we now seem to have a contradiction, unless we want to believe there is an angel in heaven who is eagerly waiting to destroy? i certainly hope none of us have that as any kind of picture.

the way it is stated it sounds like that is not what God wanted to have to do/allow.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #114792
06/15/09 09:40 PM
06/15/09 09:40 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

The Saviour is presented before John under the symbols of "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and of "a Lamb as it had been slain." Revelation 5:5, 6. These symbols represent the union of omnipotent power and self-sacrificing love. The Lion of Judah, so terrible to the rejectors of His grace, will be the Lamb of God to the obedient and faithful. The pillar of fire that speaks terror and wrath to the transgressor of God's law is a token of light and mercy and deliverance to those who have kept His commandments. The arm strong to smite the rebellious will be strong to deliver the loyal. Everyone who is faithful will be saved. "He shall send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." Matthew 24:31. {AA 589.2}

Quote:
John saw the mercy, the tenderness, and the love of God blending with His holiness, justice, and power. He saw sinners finding a Father in Him of whom their sins had made them afraid. And looking beyond the culmination of the great conflict, he beheld upon Zion "them that had gotten the victory . . . stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God," and singing "the song of Moses" and the Lamb. Revelation 15:2, 3. {AA 589.1}
In comparison with the millions of the world, God's people will be, as they have ever been, a little flock; but if they stand for the truth as revealed in His word, God will be their refuge. They stand under the broad shield of Omnipotence. God is always a majority. When the sound of the last trump shall penetrate the prison house of the dead, and the righteous shall come forth with triumph, exclaiming, "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" (1 Corinthians 15:55)--standing then with God, with Christ, with the angels, and with the loyal and true of all ages, the children of God will be far in the majority. {AA 590.1}

Jesus as the "lamb" gives us an example of unimaginable love, humility, compassion....but as a "lion" He is mighty to save, mighty to rip us from the enemies clutches both from sin, and from death.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #114794
06/15/09 10:37 PM
06/15/09 10:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's interesting in Revelation that the angels saw Jesus as a lion, but when John looked, he saw a lamb, which seems to be speaking of a difference perspective between angelic and human.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #114816
06/16/09 10:10 PM
06/16/09 10:10 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Another point is that she said that the plagues of Egypt were similar in character to the final plagues, regarding which we read:
Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them...

I don’t see any evidence that this passage refers to the final plagues. The context of the comment is the death of a Brother Stone, who evidently had died in some kind of accident. Then she says, “I felt sad indeed, for I had no evidence that Elder Stone was prepared for this change.” She goes on to say: “I was shown that the time was in the near future that these whom God had warned and reproved and given great light but they would not correct their ways and follow the light, He would remove from them that heavenly protection which had preserved them from Satan's cruel power.” Then, in the next paragraph, comes the passage that you quoted. So, I don’t see as being clear in the passage that the context are the plagues.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #114832
06/17/09 02:48 AM
06/17/09 02:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
She wrote this in the paragraph in question:

Quote:
It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.

It seems odd to me to read this and not see this as a reference to the plagues.

We see from Ellen White's writings that God protects all from Satan's wrath while the Holy Spirit is still working with men. Eventually, after repeated warnings, the Spirit is withdrawn, and Satan works his destruction, by storm and tempest, etc., sweeping off multitudes. If would be very odd indeed if God were walking hand in hand with Satan, doing the very same thing Satan was doing! One would see people being destroyed, and have no idea who was doing the destroying!

The view I'm suggesting is much simpler. If we see destruction occurring, it's because of an evil power.

Quote:
Then I saw Jesus lay off His priestly attire and clothe Himself with His most kingly robes. Upon His head were many crowns, a crown within a crown. Surrounded by the angelic host, He left heaven. The plagues were falling upon the inhabitants of the earth. Some were denouncing God and cursing Him. Others rushed to the people of God and begged to be taught how they might escape His judgments. But the saints had nothing for them. The last tear for sinners had been shed, the last agonizing prayer offered, the last burden borne, the last warning given. The sweet voice of mercy was no more to invite them. When the saints, and all heaven, were interested for their salvation, they had not interest for themselves. Life and death had been set before them. Many desired life, but made no effort to obtain it. They did not choose life, and now there was no atoning blood to cleanse the guilty, no compassionate Saviour to plead for them and cry, "Spare, spare the sinner a little longer." All heaven had united with Jesus, as they heard the fearful words, "It is done. It is finished." The plan of salvation had been accomplished, but few had chosen to accept it. And as mercy's sweet voice died away, fear and horror seized the wicked. With terrible distinctness they heard the words, "Too late! too late!" (SR 404)

I read something like this, and it is so obvious to me that it is not God who is going to do these hideous things to the wicked. There is nothing more the saints can do for the wicked because they have irrevocably chosen to follow their master Satan, and he does what he always does, which is to cause pain, suffering and death.

I cannot conceive of how someone would read this and think this is the work of God. We see the face of God in Jesus Christ. Can we imagine Him causing boils, sores, etc. against people simply because they've chosen to reject Him? We've seen this all before in the book of Job. It's Satan who does these things, and then blames God.

When Christ was urged to destroy He said, "You know not of what spirit you are," which they didn't, because that ascribed this spirit to Christ, but it's not His.

Quote:
"Wilt Thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?" They were surprised to see that Jesus was pained by their words, and still more surprised as His rebuke fell upon their ears, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." And He went to another village.

It is no part of Christ's mission to compel men to receive Him. It is Satan, and men actuated by his spirit, that seek to compel the conscience. Under a pretense of zeal for righteousness, men who are confederate with evil angels bring suffering upon their fellow men, in order to convert them to their ideas of religion; but Christ is ever showing mercy, ever seeking to win by the revealing of His love. He can admit no rival in the soul, nor accept of partial service; but He desires only voluntary service, the willing surrender of the heart under the constraint of love. There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas.(DA 487)

If God were to have the disposition to hurt and destroy those did not appreciate His work, or acted contrary to His idea, He would be presenting conclusive evidence that He possessed the spirit of Satan. This can't be right!

What would it accomplish for God to torture/torment those who reject Him. What good could this possibly accomplish? In what way is this in any way in harmony with *anything* Christ lived or taught?

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #114835
06/17/09 03:14 AM
06/17/09 03:14 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
God sure could have made it easier by just stating, "no, there is no eternally burning hell. never mind how I stated things. and baptism is by immersion. there is no immortal soul.

there is going to be a thing called the papacy and it is going to change the sabbath from the 7th day to the first...." and etc.

but that could be pretty boring having it all laid out like that. smile

Page 2 of 91 1 2 3 4 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:16 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!