HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 91 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115810
07/11/09 02:27 AM
07/11/09 02:27 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Yes, God permits death and destruction to arouse people to a sense of their need and danger. Do evil angels cooperate with God in His endeaver? Or, are they ignorant of what they are doing?

t: the quotes had to do with the plagues, which i didnt include. as for your questions, i see God as telling us what the evil angels will do.

Rev 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

this, as well as the corresponding texts that go with it make it very clear whether it is God acting or "evil angels". for those of that mindset, would these angels and satan be working in conjunction with God, here?

M: Verses 13-16 above are not directly related to what the sixth angel will do when he pours out the sixth vial.

And, yes, evil angels unwittingly fulfill the will and purpose of God in such cases. I suppose they are ignorant or hoping things will not play out according to God's plan. If they believed it would serve God's overall plan seems to me they wouldn't go along with it. The following passage goes along with the dynamics in Rev 16:13-16.

2 Thessalonians
2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Quote:
M: Also, it should be noted that for every quote like this one there are corresponding quotes that say God causes death and destruction either Himself or through holy angels. In other words, He does not always withdraw His protection and allow evil angels to wreak havoc.

t: oh, ok, i see where you are coming from.

but yes, there are, just like this one, and if we did not have ellen white to point out the contradiction, or explanation, we would believe that God literally sent serpents into the camp.

Num 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

M: I don't see a significant difference between God sending serpents to bite them and not preventing the poison from killing them or allowing serpents in the area to bite them and not preventing the poison from killing them. Do you? If so, please explain why.

BTW, do you agree with the idea that there are times when God does not allow death and destruction through the "withdraw and permit principle"? Keep the following in mind:

Especially solemn is the apostle's statement regarding those who should refuse to receive "the love of the truth." "For this cause," he declared of all who should deliberately reject the messages of truth, "God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." Men cannot with impunity reject the warnings that God in mercy sends them. From those who persist in turning from these warnings, God withdraws His Spirit, leaving them to the deceptions that they love. {AA 266.2}

The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation, and the Lord withdraws His protection, and leaves them to the mercy of the leader they have chosen. Satan will have power over those who have yielded themselves to his control, and he will plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {Mar 275.2}

God had subdued before them the fierce beasts of prey and the venomous reptiles of the forest and the desert. If with all these tokens of His love the people still continued to complain, the Lord would withdraw His protection until they should be led to appreciate His merciful care, and return to Him with repentance and humiliation. {PP 428.3}

Quote:
t: we seem to be at an impasse so keeping in mind the counsel we are given concerning discussions and debates, i withdraw. smile

Like you I am not interested in debates. That's why I asked you questions. It is my goal to understand what you believe about the plagues. I realize you are in study mode but sometimes you say things that sound like you've already made up your mind about certain aspects.

For instance, I gather from what you've written so far that you are adamantly opposed to the idea God has done things or ever will do something that directly resulted in sinners suffering or dying. You seem to be of the opinion that things like the flood and sodom were definitely not caused by God. Or, have I misunderstood your position?
yes.
i feel more [color:#990000]put into a position than the position i actually have, by the nature of the posts given me.

this does not seem to be working properly.

Last edited by teresaq; 07/11/09 02:44 AM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #115814
07/11/09 03:06 AM
07/11/09 03:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:I don't see a significant difference between God sending serpents to bite them and not preventing the poison from killing them or allowing serpents in the area to bite them and not preventing the poison from killing them. Do you? If so, please explain why.

T:Do you see a difference between not preventing your child from getting in a car accident (e.g. he's come of age to drive, and you let him drive, after passing driver's ed and getting a license) and running over him with a car?

R:No, this illustration is not correct at all to represent the incident mentioned (the serpents). An accidental death is not what we are discussing here. The death of many was certain without God's protection.

I don't think you're focusing on the right part of the analogy. It's not the question of how likely someone would get hurt that's the question, but whether there is a moral difference between ceasing to prevent something bad from happening and causing the bad thing to happen yourself. Even in the case of the Israelites, there were many who weren't bitten. If you consider the case of an individual Israelite, the analogy could be quite apt, even in a probability sense. But again, that's not the point.

The point is that as a parent, you could prevent your child from driving. Are you morally responsible for not doing so when the result is that something bad happens to them? Is there any difference between your not doing so, and actually causing an accident yourself?

In the case of the serpents, God ceased protecting the Israelites because they desired independence from God. God gave them what they wanted, not what He wanted, and that's the key point. If people would accept God's will, no one would ever suffer.

Quote:
One illustration more correct to represent some situations we are discussing here would be that one I presented in the discussion about the flood to which I provided the link. Suppose the mayor of a city whose dam was not in good conditions builds a reinforcement system. One day, however, the people of that city say to him, “Go away, we don’t want you here and we don’t want your protection. Remove the reinforcement system you built!” Then he goes away and, respecting the wish of the people (sigh), he removes the reinforcement system of the dam, knowing that it will break and that the water will inundate the city and kill everyone.

In the example of the dam, which mayor would be less guilty of the death of the whole city? He who opened the floodgates or he who removed the reinforcement system?

We've discussed this before. As I pointed out previously, this isn't accurately presenting what's happening. A better example would be if the dam depended upon the person of the mayor (say, for example, he's an engineer, whose knowledge is responsible for the well-being of the dam). The people do everything they can to get him to leave, finally taring and feathering him and riding him out of town on a rail.

Quote:
In fact, there is no difference between destroying actively and destroying passively.

We disagree strongly on this point. Let's consider a specific application:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35)

What you're suggesting is that the "great deceiver" accomplished absolutely nothing here, since there's no difference between God's having permitted Satan to do what he did and God's having done it Himself. Satan was just wasting his time in destroying his victims and blaming this on God.

Quote:
God Himself teaches this in the story of David and Uriah. Although David did not personally take the life of Uriah, he is still accused of having “struck down Uriah the Hittitie with the sword” (2 Sam. 12:9).

The difference between God and Satan is in the motivation for destruction. Satan destroys to make others suffer, God destroys in mercy – mercy in limiting the miserable existence of those who are destroyed, and mercy to others for whom they became a menace.

It's hard to fathom not recognizing the difference between what God did in the case of permitting Satan to act in the case of the destruction of Jerusalem and what David did. David deliberately schemed to get Uriah killed. David *wanted* Uriah dead. God didn't want anybody dead. *That's* the big difference.

Quote:
The difference between God and Satan is in the motivation for destruction. Satan destroys to make others suffer, God destroys in mercy – mercy in limiting the miserable existence of those who are destroyed, and mercy to others for whom they became a menace.

The difference is that God is a restorer, whereas Satan is a destroyer.

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer. The Lord has not worked as a physician in the way that He desires to work, because, He says, Ye will not come to Me, that I may give you life. We look to every source for relief except to the One who proclaimed over the rent sepulcher of Joseph, "I am the resurrection, and the life." (Christ Triumphant 239)

Another difference regards the use of force. Also causing physical or mental suffering.

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and all his sympathizers as easily as one can pick up a pebble and cast it to the earth. But by so doing he would have given a precedent for the exercise of force. All the compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. He would not work on this line. He would not give the slightest encouragement for any human being to set himself up as God over another human being, feeling at liberty to cause him physical or mental suffering. This principle is wholly of Satan's creation. (RH 9/7/97)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115815
07/11/09 03:14 AM
07/11/09 03:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Do you believe there is an enemy seeking to hurt us? Do you think that it's possible to remain unscathed if God removes His protection?

What about God? Does He believe there is an enemy seeking to destroy? Does He think it is possible for us to remain unharmed without His protection?
im resistant to this type of discussion. there have been a few people who have used this method to "prove" to me that keeping the 7th day sabbath is legalism.

the discussion started by asking questions that i would be in agreement with then hitting me with the punchline which left me at a complete loss because i had been under the illusion/delusion that it was an honest discussion. so when they started taking me down twisty, turny, manipulation lane to error i just asked God to answer them through me. they stopped doing that for a while, but then they would forget that God had put them to shame and come back for more. or perhaps they thought they had better "questions", i dont know.

shall we proceed? smile

i would be very interested to see how He will answer.

Let's proceed. This type of questioning is very useful for hunting down bad logic or wrong information. If one always answers correctly, there will be no "at a loss" moment at the end, if we assume that God's truth is consistent.

So let's find out God's answers to the questions: What about God? Does He believe there is an enemy seeking to destroy? Does He think it is possible for us to remain unharmed without His protection?

And these questions await your answers: Do you believe there is an enemy seeking to hurt us? Do you think that it's possible to remain unscathed if God removes His protection?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you will soon come to the point where you cannot answer these honestly and still retain the position that God is not responsible for any pain that happens to us.

From there, you can choose to hold incompatible beliefs or look for a new paradigm. Let's see where we end up, shall we? wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #115816
07/11/09 03:15 AM
07/11/09 03:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Rosangela: What is being overlooked here is that permiting evil things to happen is, in itself, an "evil deed."

kland: Or Strange act?

asygo: A strange act that is, nonetheless, performed by God Himself?

kland: And what would be that act as Rosangela stated?

The act of "permiting evil things to happen"? Sure. Does God do that?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115817
07/11/09 03:17 AM
07/11/09 03:17 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
About the death of the Egyptians. Was it accidental? (I'm here addressing some of Teresa's points too.)
ill have to review but im not aware of anyone saying that their death was "accidental". i know i didnt. but it may be a fine point in some minds.

but, yes, that is an excellent post! and quite convincing!

Quote:
In fact, there is no difference between destroying actively and destroying passively. God Himself teaches this in the story of David and Uriah. Although David did not personally take the life of Uriah, he is still accused of having “struck down Uriah the Hittitie with the sword” (2 Sam. 12:9).

i personally have serious issues with using, for examples, human actions tho. trying to describe God by anything we do, have done, or might do, i find rather terrifing. so i will have to ignore anything of that nature in studying this out. which would also include the dams or anything else presented here.

there are statements saying that God Himself kills: we have:
“He [God] gives life, and He will take life, if that life becomes a terror and a menace.” {2SAT 186.4}

and statements saying otherwise:
God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest. By rejecting the first warning from God, Pharaoh of old sowed the seeds of obstinacy, and he reaped obstinacy. {FLB 155.4}

"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Galatians 6:7. God destroys no man. Every man who is destroyed will destroy himself. When a man stifles the admonitions of conscience, he sows the seeds of unbelief and these produce a sure harvest.... {OHC 26.4}

But the men who sought to destroy Shadrach, Meshech, and Abed-nego, were themselves destroyed. Those who make cruel enactments, seeking to destroy, are destroyed by the recoil of their actions. {12MR 219.3}

But to the people who trample upon that law which God has ordained, Christ says, as He said to the Jewish nation, "Thou hast destroyed thyself." Mrs. E. G. White. {ST, February 15, 1899 par. 14}

so, if we look for statements to prove that God Himself kills we will find them.

and if we look for statements to prove that He does not kill we will also find those.

given posts such as these:
Quote:
i came across this and it made me so sad. i used to think like this. i even used God to curse my enemies when they hurt me until i realized God saw us all the same and that i could see plainer what was done to me than what i was doing to another.

person a:
Habakkuk continues to complain. What Habakkuk asks God at this point is why? Why will you allow the evil to have victory over the good? We can't see the plan that God has worked out and therefore we doubt. But what can this doubt do for us? What hope can we have in this plan? When we see only evil having success that we should have as the children of God and yet the only answer we get is they will come and take us? We are told in the book of Revelation that the wicked will kill us, beat us, put us in prison. We are told that we will live in caves while they live in nice homes. Where is the justice in this?

person b:
In the seven last plagues.
so given the many similar posts and statements such as the above i have to see God as being used as a vengence tool. "thats ok. God will get you for that."

1. everyone is in agreement that God is all-powerful and mighty.

2. and everyone is in agreement that the lost will suffer horribly.

what seems to be at issue is whether God Himself will do it or not.

so what is the "war" over, really? what is the real point trying to be proved?

is this the gospel, Jesus died for you and if you dont accept Him and live by His rules He will torture you in hellfire?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115818
07/11/09 03:27 AM
07/11/09 03:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, it does. That is, God withdrew His protection and permitted evils angels to use Roman soldiers to cause death and destruction. The question is - Did the evil angels have a choice in the matter? Could they have chosen to influence the Roman soldiers to walk away and leave the Jews to themselves? Or, were they (evil angels) required to influence them (soldiers) to do what they did?

Why is this a question? (that is, if evil angels had a choice in the matter)

Quote:
T: God would have preferred that Satan repent. God offered him pardon again and again on the condition of repentance and submission.

MM:What is at stake when God withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature or evil men or evil angels to cause death and destruction? What if nothing happened and everything continued as is? Would it prove that the inhabitants of the earth are not dependent upon God for the peace and protection they joy?

It's impossible that God would withdraw from His role of managing nature and nothing undesirable happened. When God ceases to restrain evil angels and evil beings, they reveal their true character. It's impossible for selfish beings to act in any other way than selfishly.

Quote:
If God isn't surprised when death and destruction do not happen when He withdraws His protection what are we to believe about it - Are the forces of nature or evil men or evil angels free to do as they please in spite of what God does or doesn't do?

I don't understand your question here. For one thing, to ask if "the forces of nature" are free to "do as they please" doesn't make sense. Surely you can see this.

Quote:
BTW, do you know of an inspired quote where it says God withdrew His protection and nothing bad happened?

Why are you asking this?

Quote:
Also, what would have happened had the evil angels chose to bless Job instead of mete out the death and destruction God was willing to permit?

Something different than what happened. Why are you asking this?

Quote:
k:What if you find out that God doesn't punish and destroy people but permits them to separate from Him and the result is death? How would that make you feel?

MM:Your assumption is unkind, Kland. Please feel free not to assume something so repulsive. There is nothing harsh about my view of God.

MM, clearly kland meant that your view of God appeared harsh to him. It's certainly one of the harshest views of God I've ever come across. This is just in my opinion of course.

But let's set that aside and get to the real question at hand that kland brought up, which is, how would you feel if God turned out to be different than you expected? In particular, if He turned out to be the way kland, teresa, and I have been describing? I'm extremely interested in hearing your answer to this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115819
07/11/09 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, how does the following inspired quote make you feel?

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. Who will say God will not do what He says He will do? {LDE 241.3}

It makes me feel similar to this one:

Quote:
We should not be prevailed upon to take anything into the mouth that will bring the body into an unhealthy condition, no matter how much we like it. Why?--Because we are God's property. You have a crown to win, a heaven to gain, and a hell to shun. (CDF 328)

That's as opposed to this:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

To make this clear, God appeals to people at different levels. Paul referred to this concept when he spoke of leaving the milk behind and going to the meat. The meat is God's character. The milk is fear of punishment and hope of reward. If a person cannot understand or appreciate God's character, then God will appeal in a way the person can understand.

Similarly your quote explains things in one way for people that see things in one way. GC 35, 36 explains things in another way. God uses inspired writings to appeal to people at all levels of understanding.

Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #115820
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Do you believe there is an enemy seeking to hurt us? Do you think that it's possible to remain unscathed if God removes His protection?

What about God? Does He believe there is an enemy seeking to destroy? Does He think it is possible for us to remain unharmed without His protection?
im resistant to this type of discussion. there have been a few people who have used this method to "prove" to me that keeping the 7th day sabbath is legalism.

the discussion started by asking questions that i would be in agreement with then hitting me with the punchline which left me at a complete loss because i had been under the illusion/delusion that it was an honest discussion. so when they started taking me down twisty, turny, manipulation lane to error i just asked God to answer them through me. they stopped doing that for a while, but then they would forget that God had put them to shame and come back for more. or perhaps they thought they had better "questions", i dont know.

shall we proceed? smile

i would be very interested to see how He will answer.

Let's proceed. This type of questioning is very useful for hunting down bad logic or wrong information. If one always answers correctly, there will be no "at a loss" moment at the end, if we assume that God's truth is consistent.
i dont get that you really understood what i said. or perhaps you believe there are legitimate questions that "answered correctly" lead to the conclusion that keeping the sabbath is legalism? or the bible studies that on the surface prove God will always hate the eternally lost?

yes, i do agree that through prayer God has answers, because i have practiced that repeatedly in several discussions. the most practice here. :)not to mention the most careful studying of contexts and issues being dealt with surrounding the quotes.

Quote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, you will soon come to the point where you cannot answer these honestly and still retain the position that God is not responsible for any pain that happens to us.

From there, you can choose to hold incompatible beliefs or look for a new paradigm. Let's see where we end up, shall we?
oh, how sad!! you make up some questions based on your understanding of how you see things and think that answering them will prove your point, not to mention that you have decided what i believe and are determined to prove me wrong.

i am crying at the moment because this happens so often from good christian folk.

so yes. i will let God answer through me your questions after some time in prayer and submission to the Lord. i dont know whether that will be tonite, or tomorrow.

see, my brother, you have already started out with assumptions

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115821
07/11/09 03:37 AM
07/11/09 03:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #115815, Arnold, instead of simply asking unrelenting questions, I think it would be helpful if you put out your own opinion somewhere. Make the discussion more of a give and take. I think that's what Teresa was responding to. I think she's looking for more of a dialog than an inquisition, and doesn't want to feel like she's trying to be trapped.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115824
07/11/09 03:47 AM
07/11/09 03:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It's not the question of how likely someone would get hurt that's the question, but whether there is a moral difference between ceasing to prevent something bad from happening and causing the bad thing to happen yourself.

The likelihood of the bad event affects the morality of the choice. Letting my son drive off in a car and the brakes failed during his trip is a different story from letting him drive a car that I knew had bad brakes.

The second scenario is akin to God removing His protection. At least, that's how I see it because I believe that God's protection is necessary in order to stay out of trouble. In other posts, you seem to argue that if Satan helps you, it is possible to avoid trouble even if God is not protecting you. I don't think that's true. No God = trouble, always.

IOW, I believe that sin is so destructive that trouble is the sure result without God's protection.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 39 of 91 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!