HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 91 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #116188
07/17/09 11:31 PM
07/17/09 11:31 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i have read and reread your questions and the posts i had made preceeding them and can not figure out how you are saying anything different from what i said.

What makes you think I am trying to say anything different? wink

If you are saying that God knew there were snakes, and He removed His protection on purpose, and He knew that people would get bitten as a result, and He knew the snake bites would hurt like the dickens, and He did it anyway knowing what would happen.... Then, yes, we are saying the same thing.

He knew the snake bites would hurt like the dickens, and He did it anyway.
so who disagreed? but the way it is stated here i see as stealing the glory due God.

both the bible and sop try to stress Gods unfailing love, protection and restraint of evil over our lives.

both the bible and sop stress that we have a very real enemy and it is not God.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116192
07/18/09 12:21 AM
07/18/09 12:21 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
MM:You highlighted the phrase "by sending evil angels among them" so I take it you're especially interested in this aspect of Psalms 78. If so, here's what Matthew Henry, the commentator, wrote about it:

Matthew Henry is a 5 point Calvinist. I'm not sure if you know what it means, but, in simple terms, he's as strong a Calvinist as one can be (I can explain 5 point Calvinist in more detail, if you prefer). 5 point Calvinism is about as far from Adventism as one can get.

Do you disagree with what he wrote about Ps 78:49? If so, why?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116193
07/18/09 12:28 AM
07/18/09 12:28 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The following Ellen White statements make it abundantly clear that the "destroying angel", the "angel of death", the avenging angel", and the "ministers of vengeance" are titles for holy angles doing God's bidding:

you appear to have completely disregarded this post of mine in your answer. it isnt the first time a post of mine has been ignore, possibly overlooked.

i can only assume they didnt fit ones picture since they were not proven wrong.

post116134 page 49
Originally Posted By: teresaq
It was the angel of the Lord that killed all the first born in Egypt.
over and over, when doing a search on "destroying angel", we get:
Quote:
Children are the lawful prey of the enemy, because they are not subjects of grace, have not experienced the cleansing power of the blood of Jesus, and the evil angels have access to these children; and some parents are careless and suffer them to work with but little restraint. Parents have a great work to do in this matter, by correcting and subduing their children, and then by bringing them to God and claiming his blessing upon them. By the faithful and untiring efforts of the parents, and the blessing and grace entreated of God upon the children, the power of the evil angels will be broken, a sanctifying influence is shed upon the children, and the powers of darkness must give back. {RH, September 19, 1854 par. 11}
When the destroying angel was to pass through Egypt, to destroy the first-born of man and beast, Israel was commanded to gather their children and families into their houses with them, and then mark their door-posts with blood, that the destroying angel might pass by their dwellings, and if they failed to go through with this process, there was no difference made between them and the Egyptians. {RH, September 19, 1854 par. 12}
this follows: [quote]The destroying angel is soon to go forth again, not to destroy the first-born alone, but "to slay utterly old and young, both men, women, and little children" who have not the mark. Parents, if you wish to save your children, separate them from the world, keep them from the company of wicked children; for if you suffer them to go with wicked children, you cannot prevent them from partaking of their wickedness and being corrupted. It is your solemn duty to watch over your children, to choose the society at all times for them. Teach your children to obey you, then can they more easily obey the commands of God, and yield to his requirements. Don't let us neglect to pray with and for our children. He who said, "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me," will listen to our prayers for them, and the seal, or mark, of believing parents will cover their children, if they are trained up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Mrs. E. G. White. {RH, March 28, 1893 par. 13}
and this says how it will happen:
Quote:
"He will give them that are wicked to the sword." {GC 656.1} Now the angel of death goes forth, represented in Ezekiel's vision by the men with the slaughtering weapons, to whom the command is given: "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary." Says the prophet: "They began at the ancient men which were before the house." Ezekiel 9:1-6. The work of destruction begins among those who have professed to be the spiritual guardians of the people. The false watchmen are the first to fall. There are none to pity or to spare. Men, women, maidens, and little children perish together. {GC 656.2} The multitudes are filled with fury. "We are lost!" they cry, "and you are the cause of our ruin;" and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords which were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed.

After the saints were delivered by the voice of God, the rage of the wicked multitude was turned upon each other. The earth seemed to be deluged with blood, and dead bodies were from one end of the earth to the other. {1SG 211.1}) {GC 655.4}
if you cannot answer this why not just admit it? why ignore it as if it were not posted?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #116194
07/18/09 12:29 AM
07/18/09 12:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The question I asked assumes precisely this same principle applies for those who did what they did during the inquisition to motivate their associates to change their minds, for a purpose they thought would be to their eternal benefit.

A:That is a faulty assumption. It is wrong to believe that exactly the same principles apply to God and His creatures.

The purpose of the question was to ascertain if the same principle applied, so this can hardly be a faulty assumption, since it wasn't an assumption at all, but a question. By your response, I assume your answer is no, that the principle involved is not a general principle, but a specific one, applying only to God, akin to receiving worship.

But let's consider this a bit further. The question is if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if its eternally beneficial. The assumption is being made that it's OK for God to do this. Now if we take the position that the holy angels are causing the plagues, then it must be OK for them as well. So it's not akin to receiving worship! (since angels can't receive worship) It's something different.

Now, given that holy angels can cause excruciating pain to humans if its eternally beneficial, then why can't men? (this is assuming, of course, that God is directing humans to do as He supposedly directs angels).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116195
07/18/09 12:32 AM
07/18/09 12:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: 1. What I believe is that the holy angels pour out the plagues by "releasing."

T: 2. The holy angels release their protection, and the evil angels cause destruction, and this is what the plagues consist of.

M: In light of these insights, please address the following questions:

1. Do you know of any inspired passages that describe the holy angels pouring out the plagues of Rev 16 by "releasing"?

T: The ones teresa has quoted have expressed this concept, IMO.

I don't recall any quotes that express this idea. Which ones do you believe do?

Quote:
M: 2. Do you know of any inspired passages that describe evil angels causing the things symbolized in the plagues of Rev 16?

T: Same answer. 14 MR 3 is another one.

Please repost the quotes which you believe express your idea.

Quote:
M: Regarding the plagues of Rev 16, Ellen White wrote: These plagues are not universal, or the inhabitants of the earth would be wholly cut off. Yet they will be the most awful scourges that have ever been known to mortals. All the judgments upon men, prior to the close of probation, have been mingled with mercy. The pleading blood of Christ has shielded the sinner from receiving the full measure of his guilt; but in the final judgment, wrath is poured out unmixed with mercy. {GC 628.2}

T: Look at GC 36 and following. She discusses the same principle there. That is, she compares how the destruction of Jerusalem is a type of the destruction that will occur in the end right before Christ's coming. The same principles are at work.

Please quote the part where she specifically says the evil angels will cause the things symbolized in the plagues.

Quote:
M: 3. Do you think these plagues are being poured out now? Or, do you think they will be poured out after probation closes?

T: Mark discussed this in his thread on this subject. I think the ideas he shared make sense. I also quoted from Fifield at length on the subject. I can re-quote that if you'd like.

Please state your position in simple, user-friendly terms. Yes or no is very easy to understand. I'm not asking you to prove your view point, at least, not now.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116196
07/18/09 12:37 AM
07/18/09 12:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:Do you disagree with what he wrote about Ps 78:49? If so, why?

Well, for one thing, I'm not a Calvinist. I don't hold the Calvinist idea that all things that happen are because God wills them to be so.

Secondly, what was written certainly doesn't present God's character in a favorable light. Let's look:

Quote:
The angels of God were the instruments employed in this execution: He sent evil angels among them, not evil in their own nature, but in respect to the errand upon which they were sent; they were destroying angels, or angels of punishment, which passed through all the land of Egypt, with orders, according to the weighed paths of God's anger, not to kill all, but the first-born only. Good angels become evil angels to sinners. Those that make the holy God their enemy must never expect the holy angels to be their friends."

"Good angels become evil angels to sinners." I certainly don't agree with this. Holy angels perform God's will. If they become evil angels to sinners, then God becomes an evil God to sinners.

"Those that make the holy God their enemy must never expect the holy angels to be their friends." Again, this logic extends to God, so the conclusion would be that those who make God their enemy must never expect God to be their friend. This seems to me to be as contrary to what Christ taught as is possible.

Quote:
43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you (Matt. 5)

This is what God, and holy angels, are like.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116197
07/18/09 12:39 AM
07/18/09 12:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: a. Generally speaking, God does not use force or act violently. But there are some exceptions.

M: God executes justice and judgment when it is eternally beneficial. The plagues of Egypt is an example.

T: Yes, I know you believe a. I believe b. I don't believe when Ellen White said that force is not a principle of God's government, that compelling force is only to be found in Satan's kingdom that she meant "generally speaking." I think your understanding of the plagues can only be understood as "compelling force."

Don't forget, Tom, my view of how and why death and destruction happens includes yours plus four others.

Quote:
T: Also, I don't know what you'd do with the statement that all that we can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son while here with us in the flesh. Where in Christ's life and character do we see anything like what your view of the plagues entails? Simply put, I don't see your view of God revealed by Christ.

I do not believe Jesus demonstrated the "withdraw and permit" principle while here in the flesh. Nor do I believe Ellen White's point was intended to say so. Yes, Jesus spoke about it, but He didn't demonstrate it.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116199
07/18/09 12:57 AM
07/18/09 12:57 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
You wrote:

1. What I believe is that the holy angels pour out the plagues by "releasing."

2. The holy angels release their protection, and the evil angels cause destruction, and this is what the plagues consist of.

In light of these insights, please address the following questions:

1. Do you know of any inspired passages that describe the holy angels pouring out the plagues of Rev 16 by "releasing"?

Do you know of any inspired passages that describe evil angels causing the things symbolized in the plagues of Rev 16?

Regarding the plagues of Rev 16, Ellen White wrote: These plagues are not universal, or the inhabitants of the earth would be wholly cut off. Yet they will be the most awful scourges that have ever been known to mortals. All the judgments upon men, prior to the close of probation, have been mingled with mercy. The pleading blood of Christ has shielded the sinner from receiving the full measure of his guilt; but in the final judgment, wrath is poured out unmixed with mercy. {GC 628.2}

3. Do you think these plagues are being poured out now? Or, do you think they will be poured out after probation closes?
you mean we will actually start studying the plagues one by one and see what happens? or do you mean we will continue to wonder all over the place disregarding posts, bible texts, and sop that dont fit a particular picture?

mm, if you and company want to try and prove toms beliefs wrong why not start a thread on that instead of hijacking mine? over and over and over again. you all havent won any brownie points for your side yet.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116200
07/18/09 01:12 AM
07/18/09 01:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:I don't recall any quotes that express this idea. Which ones do you believe do?

As I said, the ones teresa has been quoting. Take a look through the thread. They exhibit the same basic principle as that articulated in GC 35 and 36.

Quote:
MM:Please repost the quotes which you believe express your idea.

You can look at GC 35 and 36. I also mentioned 14 MR 3.

I don't know why you're asking for these though, MM. You've already seen them and already expressed your opinion that they don't apply to the plagues.

You have a completely different way of looking at things then I do. I see things in terms of principles. You think in terms of specific quotes. If the quote doesn't say something specifically, then you don't see that it applies. I look for the principle, and then look to apply it in other situations. You evidently don't feel comfortable doing this, so you're asking me for quotes isn't likely to be fruitful.

Also, I've explained at length, on a number of occasions, why I don't think this approach is fruitful, and have suggested to you a course of action I think would be fruitful. But you just keep asking me to to follow the approach that I say I don't believe is fruitful.

Regarding your following request, I say the same thing.

Quote:
Please state your position in simple, user-friendly terms. Yes or no is very easy to understand. I'm not asking you to prove your view point, at least, not now.

I think it would be better to look at Mark's thread. I tried to find a link to it, but couldn't. Sorry about that.

Here's a bit from Fifield:

Quote:
(W)hile they fall upon individuals whose probation is closed, they fall before the probation of all the world is closed, that is, before all have taken the final step that commits them wholly to evil. They fall for the purpose of so revealing god’s truth and his wrath against sin, as to help those who are deciding, to decide aright.

This was talked about at length on Mark's thread.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116202
07/18/09 01:22 AM
07/18/09 01:22 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The question is if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if its eternally beneficial. The assumption is being made that it's OK for God to do this.

Let's hold off on the assumptions and deal with some facts, which I already posted but seems to have been missed in all the excitement.

Quote:
It is the last night before the proposed execution. A mighty angel is sent from heaven to rescue Peter. The strong gates that shut in the saint of God open without the aid of human hands. The angel of the Most High passes through, and the gates close noiselessly behind him. He enters the cell, and there lies Peter, sleeping the peaceful sleep of perfect trust. {AA 146.2}

The same angel who had come from the royal courts to rescue Peter, had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber; it was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, laying low his pride and bringing upon him the punishment of the Almighty. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive judgment of God. {AA 152.1}

This demonstration of divine justice had a powerful influence upon the people. The tidings that the apostle of Christ had been miraculously delivered from prison and death, while his persecutor had been stricken down by the curse of God, were borne to all lands and became the means of leading many to a belief in Christ. {AA 152.2}

Was the angel who rescued Peter the same angel who caused "great agony of mind and body" to Herod? The answer is clearly Yes.

Was he acting in harmony or in contradiction to God's will when he smote Herod? Yes or No? The answer to that will help determine if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if it's eternally beneficial.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 53 of 91 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!