HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,534 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: vastergotland] #116479
07/22/09 04:34 AM
07/22/09 04:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
I think these two pages illustrate why this weeks study is so important, especially among SDA. Here we have a study and thus every incentive to follow up on the 'new commandment' of Johns gospel and his first letter. But the discussion thus far gets bogged down in the mire of the old commandments yet again. Last week I was challenged as having an erring focus when trying to look at the practical side, the new commandment side, instead of only looking at the ideal of sinless perfection. The same has happened here. Eyes are so firmly set on the questions of sinless living and perfect lawkeeping that the whole point of this entire weeks study gets lost in the fray. If it were to turn out that the ideal can only be reached through the practical, how many who who are so concerned with the ideal that they for all apparence have no time for the practical will in the end be bitterly dissapointed.

Daryl, when you lead this weeks study, it will in my oppinion be your chief duty to keep your group focused on what is acctually this weeks theme. These other themes discussed above have most likely been discussed and will no doubt be discussed agian many times in the future. This weeks study does propably not share the same fate and would therefore need all help you can give it.

Thomas, how are the new and old commandments different? Does one contradict the other? Or, do they envision and enjoin the same thing?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #116485
07/22/09 04:53 AM
07/22/09 04:53 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
well, my brother, i could be wrong, but im assuming thomas is speaking of the new commandment given by Jesus Himself.

it is an extension of the old commandment. but perhaps thomas is speaking of something else.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: teresaq] #116497
07/22/09 08:54 AM
07/22/09 08:54 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Seing that this is the thread for the SS lesson, I have taken inspiration from there, the wednesday page to be more specific. It referes to Johns first letter and to Johns gospel. There Jesus says: 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
And John writes:
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
and
20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
in the third and fourth chapters respectively.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: vastergotland] #116610
07/24/09 02:43 PM
07/24/09 02:43 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The "new commandment" was not really new, since Jesus gave it earlier in His ministry, and He gave it much earlier than that through Moses. But it seemed new because the people had misunderstood the "old" commandments.

What we need to focus on is walking in the light as He is in the light, then His blood cleanses from all unrighteousness. It's impossible to walk with Jesus and be unloving at the same time.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: asygo] #116611
07/24/09 03:22 PM
07/24/09 03:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Exactly, Arnold.

It is my belief that the "new commandment" phrase may actually be a mistranslation. That may have been how the grammar was arranged in Greek, but it is not how we express the same concept in English. It might have been worded like this: "I give you a commandment anew...." The word "new" in the text, carries the meaning of "renew," "anew," "fresh" or "again". Other examples of a similar nature would include "new moon," "new wine," "new heart," or "new earth." Each of these things is well known to have pre-existed, they are just remade.

If, on the contrary, the word "new" here meant that this commandment had not previously been given, then Jesus would have been a liar (see text below). So this is obviously not the case.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:18, KJV)

Nor would the commandment have been new if we include the "love to God" portion.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. (Deuteronomy 6:5, KJV)

These commandments were as old as the hills. They were not "new" in the typical sense of the word. Jesus gave them "new" in the sense of "fresh," or "anew."

The "New Covenant" is likewise just a refreshing, a reviving, or a recommitment to the "Old Covenant."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Green Cochoa] #116615
07/24/09 06:27 PM
07/24/09 06:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Every translation I looked up had the translation "a new commandment," so it seems unlikely it's a mistranslation. I looked at a number of different languages as well, and all were "new." The lexicon says the word "new" is "new" especially as in "fresh," so I was interested in if any translation would go with "fresh." "A fresh commandment I give unto you..."

Even if it were translated like this, I think the meaning would be the same. It would be like "A fresh commandment I give unto you, fresh out of the oven," which conveys the idea of a new idea, a new thought.

Interestingly, the "new light" given in 1888 falls in this category. There were those who complained against the message being brought as nothing new, that it was already in Scripture. It was also said it wasn't needed, for this reason (other sources had the message). We hear the same ideas today (no need to consider the 1888 messengers; just read the Bible and the SOP). Ellen White tried to answer these arguments as best she could, (but, unfortunately, her words were not heeded then, nor today) in explaining:

Quote:
Brethren, God has most precious light for His people. I call it not new light; but O, it is strangely new to many. Jesus said to His disciples, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you." This was really an old commandment, which had been given in the Old Testament scriptures, but it had been lost. It had not been practiced. The command that they should love one another as Christ had loved them was indeed new to the disciples. (1888 Mat. 140)

I knew there was some reason I was connecting these two things together! The quote says it all, I think. God sent "new light" that was light which had been lost sight of.

Regarding the Old and the New Covenants, that's a different story altogether, as these are two completely different things.

Quote:
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer. 31)

This brings out that the "new" covenant is "not according" to the other one (not called "old" here, but so called elsewhere).

The SOP comments:

Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts . . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34.

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ.(PP 372)

However, while the New Covenant is very different from the Old Covenant, the point about "new" here referring to something which had already existed before is certainly true, as the "New Covenant" is the same as the "Everlasting Covenant" or "Abrahamic Covenant."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Green Cochoa] #116616
07/24/09 06:31 PM
07/24/09 06:31 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hmmmmm, well it took me awhile to get it myself.

Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Tom] #116618
07/24/09 06:41 PM
07/24/09 06:41 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
I knew there was some reason I was connecting these two things together! The quote says it all, I think. God sent "new light" that was light which had been lost sight of.
the pioneers started off in "brotherly love" and spreading the message with Christ as the center. but as time went on and they were bringing the law back into prominence Jesus got left behind.

it is still a problem with many that think the prominence given to the gospel somehow "does away" with the law.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Green Cochoa] #116619
07/24/09 06:44 PM
07/24/09 06:44 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Aaron
Either its possible to perfectly keep the law or its not. I think we should try to keep the "law" all the while realizing that our fallen human natures will not allow us to. I find is strange that people like you believe that its possible yet can't do it yourself. Start being perfect including your thoughts and let me know how that works for you and then I might believe its possible. Until then I go with Paul who expresses his struggles even after conversion. Even if it was possible I think you would be spending so much time looking at your self and your actions you would loose sight of whats important which is grace.

As this is the crux of the error promoted in the NIV, I will do my very best, I promise, to post on this issue in the Bible versions thread before the end of this week. (This discussion is motivating me.) The modern Bibles have promoted the concept that man is powerless to cease sinning. The KJV, however, does not.

If Christ lived a perfect life as our example, why should we not benefit thereby? Why should we say He was NOT our example? Courage, my brother, take courage! The Canaan land is ours for the taking, with God on our side.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
I have now added the comparison of the Law as used in the KJV vs the NIV to the Bible versions thread as I promised I would. Here is a direct link. There are several posts in succession. The last couple of posts deal more specifically with the concept of the Law and our ability to keep it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Tom] #116641
07/25/09 04:52 AM
07/25/09 04:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It would be like "A fresh commandment I give unto you, fresh out of the oven," which conveys the idea of a new idea, a new thought.
Quote:
Brethren, God has most precious light for His people. I call it not new light; but O, it is strangely new to many. Jesus said to His disciples, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you." This was really an old commandment, which had been given in the Old Testament scriptures, but it had been lost. It had not been practiced. The command that they should love one another as Christ had loved them was indeed new to the disciples. (1888 Mat. 140)

So it wasn't a new idea, but an old idea that had been forgotten. Hence, it seemed new.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Regarding the Old and the New Covenants, that's a different story altogether, as these are two completely different things.
However, while the New Covenant is very different from the Old Covenant, the point about "new" here referring to something which had already existed before is certainly true, as the "New Covenant" is the same as the "Everlasting Covenant" or "Abrahamic Covenant."

I agree on both points.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!