HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,286 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 91 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #116405
07/20/09 08:32 PM
07/20/09 08:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, I have yet to find a reply to a complaint Teresa and I had. I tried to ask it in the nicest way and was looking forward to your reply. Perhaps it got buried and overlooked. I will following Tom's advice regarding me with James and just ask you rather than making conclusions:
Quote:
By the way, I think Teresa pointed out your comment referenced above comes across so ..... (I will refrain from describing it as you have requested) to some of us. I will attempt to consider that you are not trying to incite us but have misunderstood...? Could you please explain why, when, whoever the goldfish were, they were requested to commemorate the Pass Over (the passing over, the sparing of their first born), would you think it to mean to commemorate the killing, the slaughtering, of the Egyptians? Do you really think God would ask us to celebrate someone's misfortune? This thought process is what gets my, and at least Teresa's, hackles up. This comes across as intentional deceit. Like I said, I will try my best to be open about this and attempt to understand how you came to this idea. You have explained the theocracy reason so I understand you at least better. Can you do the same, refrain from quoting a bunch of stuff but explain in detail about relating the commemorating of the killing. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: kland] #116407
07/20/09 10:04 PM
07/20/09 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, the following passage and verses reflect what I had in mind:

Quote:
In commemoration of this great deliverance a feast was to be observed yearly by the people of Israel in all future generations. "This day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations: ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance forever." As they should keep the feast in future years, they were to repeat to their children the story of this great deliverance, as Moses bade them: "Ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the Lord's Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses." {PP 274.3}

Furthermore, the first-born of both man and beast were to be the Lord's, to be bought back only by a ransom, in acknowledgment that when the first-born in Egypt perished, that of Israel, though graciously preserved, had been justly exposed to the same doom but for the atoning sacrifice. "All the first-born are Mine," the Lord declared; "for on the day that I smote all the first-born in the land of Egypt, I hallowed unto Me all the first-born in Israel, both man and beast: Mine they shall be," Numbers 3:13. After the institution of the tabernacle service the Lord chose unto Himself the tribe of Levi for the work of the sanctuary, instead of the first-born of the people. "They are wholly given unto Me from among the children of Israel," He said. "Instead of the first-born of all the children of Israel, have I taken them unto Me." Numbers 8:16. All the people were, however, still required, in acknowledgment of God's mercy, to pay a redemption price for the first-born son. Numbers 18:15, 16. {PP 274.4}

By underlining certain parts above I am by no means disregarding the rest of it. I am simply pointing out that the Passover Feast celebrated life and death - the death of the Egyptians and the life of the Israelites.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116411
07/20/09 10:59 PM
07/20/09 10:59 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Quote:
In commemoration of this great deliverance a feast was to be observed yearly by the people of Israel in all future generations. "This day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations: ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance forever." As they should keep the feast in future years, they were to repeat to their children the story of this great deliverance, as Moses bade them: "Ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the Lord's Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses." {PP 274.3}

Furthermore, the first-born of both man and beast were to be the Lord's, to be bought back only by a ransom, in acknowledgment that when the first-born in Egypt perished, that of Israel, though graciously preserved, had been justly exposed to the same doom but for the atoning sacrifice. "All the first-born are Mine," the Lord declared; "for on the day that I smote all the first-born in the land of Egypt, I hallowed unto Me all the first-born in Israel, both man and beast: Mine they shall be," Numbers 3:13. After the institution of the tabernacle service the Lord chose unto Himself the tribe of Levi for the work of the sanctuary, instead of the first-born of the people. "They are wholly given unto Me from among the children of Israel," He said. "Instead of the first-born of all the children of Israel, have I taken them unto Me." Numbers 8:16. All the people were, however, still required, in acknowledgment of God's mercy, to pay a redemption price for the first-born son. Numbers 18:15, 16. {PP 274.4}

By underlining certain parts above I am by no means disregarding the rest of it. I am simply pointing out that the Passover Feast celebrated life and death - the death of the Egyptians and the life of the Israelites.
i respect that that is how you read it. different points are noticed by different minds.

i notice that they are to celebrate their deliverance from slavery, which, unfortunately, took the death of the firstborn of the egyptians, a death that the israelites were also deserving of.

but even tho God had to take-or allow-such drastic measures, it is interesting that the israelites were to hold no "grudge" against the egyptians but were to remember that they had been taken in by them when they were in need. (the famine in jacobs and josephs time.)Deu 23:7... thou shalt not abhor an Egyptian; because thou wast a stranger in his land.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116413
07/20/09 11:04 PM
07/20/09 11:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
So, teresaq, what do you think about going through each of the ten plagues and state who caused it to happen and how? I'll go first. A prologue to my post:

Quote:
Before the infliction of each plague, Moses was to describe its nature and effects, that the king might save himself from it if he chose. Every punishment rejected would be followed by one more severe, until his proud heart would be humbled, and he would acknowledge the Maker of heaven and earth as the true and living God. The Lord would give the Egyptians an opportunity to see how vain was the wisdom of their mighty men, how feeble the power of their gods, when opposed to the commands of Jehovah. He would punish the people of Egypt for their idolatry and silence their boasting of the blessings received from their senseless deities. God would glorify His own name, that other nations might hear of His power and tremble at His mighty acts, and that His people might be led to turn from their idolatry and render Him pure worship. {PP 263.1}

I cannot imagine evil angels doing anything that would yield results such as these: "God would glorify His own name, that other nations might hear of His power and tremble at His mighty acts, and that His people might be led to turn from their idolatry and render Him pure worship."

1. Water to Blood
And the LORD spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their pools of water, that they may become blood; and that there may be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood, and in vessels of stone.

M: God changed the water into blood. The laws of nature do not account for this miracle.

2. Frogs
And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs: and the river shall bring forth frogs abundantly, which shall go up and come into thine house, and into thy bedchamber, and upon thy bed, and into the house of thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thine ovens, and into thy kneading troughs: and the frogs shall come up both on thee, and upon thy people, and upon all thy servants.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the frogs to disregard their fear of man and invade the land.

3. Lice
And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt.

M: God changed dust into lice. The laws of nature do not account for this miracle.

4. Flies
Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the flies to unnaturally swarm the land.

5. Livestock Diseased
Behold, the hand of the LORD is upon thy cattle which is in the field, upon the horses, upon the asses, upon the camels, upon the oxen, and upon the sheep: there shall be a very grievous murrain.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the animals to die of disease.

6. Boils
And the LORD said unto Moses and unto Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace, and let Moses sprinkle it toward the heaven in the sight of Pharaoh. And it shall become small dust in all the land of Egypt, and shall be a boil breaking forth with blains upon man, and upon beast, throughout all the land of Egypt.

M: God caused the ash to cause boils.

7. Hail
Behold, to morrow about this time I will cause it to rain a very grievous hail, such as hath not been in Egypt since the foundation thereof even until now.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the hail.

8. Locusts
Else, if thou refuse to let my people go, behold, to morrow will I bring the locusts into thy coast: and they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the locust to devour the trees.

9. Darkness
And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt. And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days.

M: Either God or holy angels caused the thick darkness.

10. Death of the Firstborn
And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt: and all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.

M: A holy angel caused the first-born to die.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #116419
07/21/09 02:34 AM
07/21/09 02:34 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
is that how people in the church study? eek

from #116360
Originally Posted By: teresaq
exploring the plagues, one by one, not generally.

im more interested in what happened in each plague, Gods reason and His purpose. in other words im more interested in getting to know God better.
i can send you a link, if you like, that will show you what i mean.

it might set your fears to rest, if you have them, that i have no "secret" agenda, but am honestly studying and searching.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116439
07/21/09 12:54 PM
07/21/09 12:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Quote:

Thank you for explaining why you made the previous statement. I don't know about you, but I am understanding more why there is such a communication barrier between us. Not saying I understand why, but that there is.

It appears to me, that if you should fall and get sand and rock embedded in your skin and then had it removed, that if someone should say:
Quote:
Remember, celebrate, commemorate the removal of the sand from your body, that day they used antiseptic and it burned so much you thought you were going to pass out, but that you were made whole and restored.
You would celebrate the burning sensation.

If someone should say:
Quote:
Remember, celebrate, commemorate your wedding day, the day you gave up your individual life, the day you gave up your parents and became one with your wife.
You would remember / mourn what you gave up.

I realize you said you were not disregarding the rest of the passage, but it seems like instead of celebrating the joy, you are celebrating the pain. Instead of remembering the main event, you are remembering the footnotes.

Go back and reread those passages you quoted and see if the death, the pain, is what is being requested to remember and celebrate or if there is something else that should be remembered and celebrated. Was it deliverance or was it the loss of meat and leeks (which was true and did happen on that day -- hmmm).

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #116450
07/21/09 03:50 PM
07/21/09 03:50 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
in other words what specific example of God withholding something given in the bible are you referring to, and how that would resemble withholding food from your son for 2 days in punishment.

God withheld rain for 3.5 years. It resembles the "no food for 2 days" because it is very hard to grow food without rain. Especially if the drought lasts 3.5 years.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #116454
07/21/09 04:41 PM
07/21/09 04:41 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
in other words what specific example of God withholding something given in the bible are you referring to, and how that would resemble withholding food from your son for 2 days in punishment.

God withheld rain for 3.5 years. It resembles the "no food for 2 days" because it is very hard to grow food without rain. Especially if the drought lasts 3.5 years.
but food was available. no matter what famines there were/are there is always food available somewhere, and if it werent for evil men, could be had by those in need.

God withheld rain, but He didnt withhold food. in doing a search im hardput to find where God didnt provide food in times of famine, whether from war or because He had withheld rain, His blessing.

the only thing i can find is evil men withholding food, such as in the seiges of jerusalem. but even then if the people had surrendered as they had been told to do....

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #116466
07/22/09 01:13 AM
07/22/09 01:13 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo

but food was available. no matter what famines there were/are there is always food available somewhere, and if it werent for evil men, could be had by those in need.

God withheld rain, but He didnt withhold food. in doing a search im hardput to find where God didnt provide food in times of famine, whether from war or because He had withheld rain, His blessing.

the only thing i can find is evil men withholding food, such as in the seiges of jerusalem. but even then if the people had surrendered as they had been told to do....

Oh, you thought I was going to prevent my son from eating? No. I would just withhold food. He would be free to go shopping, cook, beg, whatever he wanted to do. But being 8 years old, he might have some difficulty. But I would guess not as much difficulty as the Israelites would have had in asking for food from the Assyrians, Egyptians, Babylonians, etc.

But I think your point is that God was not responsible for any suffering in Israel, since there were so many good neighbors to get food from, so killing off the vegetation in Israel by a 3.5 year drought wasn't really a big deal. I suppose one could look at it that way, but it sounds a little ridiculous. But if I am ever tried for making my 8 year old son scavenge for food to keep from starving, I'll ask my lawyer to make sure you are on the jury. smile

BTW, if it wasn't for evil men, there would have been no drought in Israel. So I think God knew in advance that Israel would suffer through the drought, and not get any help from evil men. He wasn't caught by surprise that the Egyptians didn't come running with fruit baskets.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #116468
07/22/09 01:33 AM
07/22/09 01:33 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
im more interested in what happened in each plague, Gods reason and His purpose.

As you wish. MM's list seems a good place to start.

Anyway, for those who want to continue the errant sub-topic, I made a new thread: Does God sometimes cause pain? I'll be posting my replies on the topic in that thread. See y'all over there.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 60 of 91 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!