HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116695
07/26/09 06:09 AM
07/26/09 06:09 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
My wife is having major surgery on Monday and recovery will take a couple of months. So I will be very scarce for a while. But I want to continue exploring this, so I may pop in now and then.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116696
07/26/09 06:36 AM
07/26/09 06:36 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
our prayers and thoughts are with her. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116713
07/26/09 08:37 PM
07/26/09 08:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #116691, this is a different subject. I spent quite a time talking with MM on this subject. I posted a story about the father of a hunter which deals with these issues. I don't know if you saw that or not.

As I pointed out to MM, I think there are four issues of increasing difficulty to understand:

1.The atonement.
2.The judgment of the wicked.
3.The violent acts which God performed in the OT.
4.The violent acts which God commanded others to perform in the OT.

It seems to me impossible that if one has the wrong ideas about 1 that this won't permeate the others. This would agree with Ellen White's statement:

Quote:
The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light that streams from the cross of Calvary.(GW 315)

I think she's right, and one of the deficiencies I've seen in our studies have been posts with no apparent thought in regards to how the principles of the cross fit in; at least, I haven't been able to detect any connection.

Quote:
Tom:The question I have in mind is the one involving causing excruciating pain if its eternally beneficial. It appears you believe this is OK for God, and OK for angels. I've been trying to ascertain if you believe it's OK for humans.

I'm still trying to ascertain this!

Arnold:Sometimes. He had Elijah kill the prophets of Baal, which probably hurt quite a bit, Elijah included.

So if God tells us to cause someone excruciating pain, then it's OK. I think we're back to the inquisition question I asked a couple of weeks ago. There was nothing wrong with what the people in the inquisition did (i.e., their actions considered alone); their only error was in thinking they were doing God's will. This is what I was trying to get at in this post. This is what I thought you thought.

If you disagree with my conclusion here, you can point that out, but it certainly seems to me to follow logically that if it's OK to cause people pain if God tells you to do so, then what I just said above follows.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116714
07/26/09 08:38 PM
07/26/09 08:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
My wife is having major surgery on Monday and recovery will take a couple of months. So I will be very scarce for a while. But I want to continue exploring this, so I may pop in now and then.

Ok. Best wishes for your wife.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116716
07/26/09 08:55 PM
07/26/09 08:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Arnold:Jesus is the truth. Yes, the truth causes pain when it must cut away error. Hence, my affirmation that God sometimes causes pain.

This is not a subject I was discussing. I was discussing causing excruciating pain in the form which the plagues describes.

Quote:
I don't know why you accuse me of teaching that God is non-loving at any time.

I think quoting what I actually said would be helpful, which I'll do shortly.

Quote:
Arnold:You really thought I said God was not loving? Please, no straw men.

Yes, no straw men! Agreed! I said nothing about your not thinking that God is not loving, as can be readily seen by reading what I wrote.

Teresa said, "God's actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such."

You responded:

Quote:
The Word of God is symbolized by the Sword of the Spirit. Those who are limited to teaching by the feather of the Spirit, hoping to tickle everyone death, will eventually find that God was wise in likening His truth to a sword. If we are serious about dying to sin, self, and Satan, we better be ready for the sword that cuts deep.

I responded to this by writing:

Quote:
Teresa is claiming that "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." It appears that Arnold is challenging this assertion by pointing out the Word of God is likened to a sword, as opposed to a feather, meaning that God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving.

I don't see how this makes any sense. Doesn't the "sword of the Spirit" refer to the action of the Word in revealing truth? Isn't is the truth that causes the "damage"? That the truth causes us pain doesn't imply that God must have acted in a non-gentle, non-loving manner, does it?

Since you wrote, "The Word of God is symbolized by the Sword of the Spirit. Those who are limited to teaching by the feather of the Spirit, hoping to tickle everyone death" etc., I can only assume that your sarcastic, deriding remarks were directed against what Teresa wrote, since you quoted what she wrote, and then posted your comment immediately following that.

Quote:
Arnold:If you want me to break it down like we do in logic class, I'll do that, but I think you are capable of doing that yourself.

I think a better choice would be to read things more carefully. I at no point said anything about your thinking God is not loving. What happened is Teresa said something, and your responded to that, and I responded to your comments, pointing out that I disagreed with your comments regarding what Teresa wrote and why. Teresa said that, "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." and you appeared to be taking issue with that. I took issue with your criticism of her comments.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116722
07/27/09 12:43 AM
07/27/09 12:43 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Ok. Best wishes for your wife.

Originally Posted By: teresaq
our prayers and thoughts are with her. smile

Thanks.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116723
07/27/09 12:51 AM
07/27/09 12:51 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Arnold:Jesus is the truth. Yes, the truth causes pain when it must cut away error. Hence, my affirmation that God sometimes causes pain.

This is not a subject I was discussing. I was discussing causing excruciating pain in the form which the plagues describes.

I'm talking about greater pain than that. Worse than the physical pain of the plagues, God's truth causes the pain of cutting away sin, pain unto death.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116737
07/27/09 02:52 PM
07/27/09 02:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm talking about greater pain than that. Worse than the physical pain of the plagues, God's truth causes the pain of cutting away sin, pain unto death.

I wasn't talking about this in the thread that spawned this one, but about inflicting pain and death in the form of plagues.

In regards to your point above, however, from my perspective, it is sin that is responsible for the pain that the wicked will feel, not the truth. Here's an analogy. If one smokes, one can damage oneself to the point to where breathing even pure air could be painful. I wouldn't blame pure air for causing pain, but smoking.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)

This says that Satan, and his followers, place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. I think this is the right way of looking at it. It's like saying, "Those who smoke damage themselves so much that merely breathing pure air is to them a consuming fire."

So the pain they feel is not result of something God does to them, but the result of what they have done to themselves. This looks to me to be the point of DA 764.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. (DA 764)

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116781
07/28/09 11:19 PM
07/28/09 11:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: Anyway, Tom's understanding certainly has merit, and much truth to it. The error is in thinking that his paradigm is ALL there is to it.

T: I appreciate the kind comments. Regarding the "all there is to it," that does seem to be the question. MM mentioned 5 ways that the wrath of God is manifested:

Quote:
The wrath of God is manifested in five different ways:

1. God personally causes death and destruction
2. God permits the forces of nature to cause death and destruction
3. God commands holy angels to cause death and destruction
4. God permits evil angels to cause death and destruction
5. God permits evil men to cause death and destruction

I note that all of these, but the first one, have in common that God withdraws His protection. We appear to differ in that I believe this is sufficient to cause any pain that God would deem necessary for disciplinary purposes. I don't think we necessarily see the necessity or the reason behind why the event take place differently, but we see the mechanism to be different, in the times that you think 1. applies.

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you view #3 above in terms of holy angels withdrawing their protection and allowing nature or evil angels or evil men to cause death and destruction (as opposed to holy angels causing it themselves)?

Another area of difference involves the following:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

You appear to believe the author intended this to be applied in a limited sense, whereas I believe the principle being articulated here is universal. That is, I believe it's really the case that Jesus Christ has revealed all that we can know of God.

She qualifies herself by coupling "can know" with "needs to know". It is very obvious that Jesus never resorted to the "withdraw and permit" principle of commanding or permitting death and destruction while He was here in the flesh. Yes, He spoke about doing it in the future, but He didn't demonstrate it while here in the flesh.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #116787
07/29/09 12:23 AM
07/29/09 12:23 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Another area of difference involves the following:

[quote]All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

She qualifies herself by coupling "can know" with "needs to know". It is very obvious that Jesus never resorted to the "withdraw and permit" principle of commanding or permitting death and destruction while He was here in the flesh. Yes, He spoke about doing it in the future, but He didn't demonstrate it while here in the flesh.
ive missed the point here every time it has been brought up over so many pages.

im also missing how the "needs to know" qualifies the "can know".

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!