HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116906
07/31/09 01:26 PM
07/31/09 01:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
My comment is now bearing fruit in that it has revealed a premise that I wanted to address last week, but have not had the chance. The premise is now more apparent, and I hope to address it soon.

This is pretty cryptic. When I made my comment about "pulling teeth," it's things like this that come to mind. That is, it's not a normal conversation back and forth where one trades ideas. *Occasionally*, IMO, it's OK to hold off on some point, because you want to set up a foundation, but to do this too often makes for a frustrating experience.

Instead of sarcasm, etc., more laying out what you think and why I believe would make the process more pleasant for those with whom you are discussing things, if that's something important to you.

Here, for example, you made a comment last week(!) that you claim is "bearing fruit" in that it is "revealing a premise" which you hope to address soon! That's a long time to drag a thing out. Why not just write out a well reasoned post which makes the points you wish to make?

I don't even see how the things you are writing have to do with the points I was making. I was discussing God's supposedly inflicting excruciating pain against those who act contrary to His wishes. I see this as contrary to the principles of God's government for a number of reasons. For example, we're told that compelling power is to be found only understand Satan's government, but upping the ante on pain and destruction until you get your way seems to me as fine an expression of compelling power as one could hope to find. I also don't find the violent ways by which God supposed acted to be in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed of God's character.

Now you're talking about other things, like a Doctor's causing pain in order to heal a patient. I don't see the connection here.

Quote:
I don't think he's been treated in an unchristlike manner in these discussions.

If you wish to know my opinion regarding this, I'd be happy to share it.

Quote:
But there's another thing you should consider. If Tom has been treated unfairly, God will give him grace to overcome the persecution. However, God does not promise to give YOU any grace for TOM's troubles. So don't take other people's burdens upon yourself; it will cause you grief that you might not be called upon to bear.

Quote:
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.(Galatians 6:2)

To stick up for someone who you believe is being unfairly treated is completely Biblical.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116914
07/31/09 04:42 PM
07/31/09 04:42 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo

Originally Posted By: teresaq
if you had read what i actually wrote instead of what your mind said i had written you would not have addressed me like this.

Did you write more than I quoted above? I'm pretty sure I read it completely and accurately. And I appreciate your concern. Thanks.

I'm guessing it's the 2nd part that's getting your feathers all ruffled up. It wasn't a "serious" comment, as evidenced by the wink at the end. I think Tom "got it" based on his reply.

My comment is now bearing fruit in that it has revealed a premise that I wanted to address last week, but have not had the chance. The premise is now more apparent, and I hope to address it soon.

i have defended tom because of the way i have seen him treated. i would defend the pope if i perceived him being treated in a manner that i do not perceive to be Christlike.

I don't think he's been treated in an unchristlike manner in these discussions. Sure we disagree, and very vehemently at times, but that doesn't mean we do not have Christian love for each other. If I think someone is in error and I do nothing to correct them, that is proof that I do not love that person.
you so totally misunderstood. and it isnt the first time.

i said the sky was blue. somehow you read that i said the sky was green and are taking me to task for it, as usual. your problem, my brother, and i will just have to leave you bear it yourself.

Quote:
But there's another thing you should consider. If Tom has been treated unfairly, God will give him grace to overcome the persecution. However, God does not promise to give YOU any grace for TOM's troubles. So don't take other people's burdens upon yourself; it will cause you grief that you might not be called upon to bear.
i guess we all pick up different points in the scriptures.
Quote:

Isa 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116921
07/31/09 06:03 PM
07/31/09 06:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Pain that leads to life is better than comfort that leads to death.

This would make a great quotable quote. Well put.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116924
07/31/09 06:39 PM
07/31/09 06:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Can you name anything Jesus revealed about God that we do not need to know right now?

T: Why are you asking this?

M: Because you stated, "Everything that man can know of God, including things which man doesn't need to know."

T: I wouldn't be qualified to say what we need to know and what we don't. God knows. You understand that what one needs to know is a subset of what one can know, don't you?

Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? And, no, I don’t see it as a subset.

Quote:
M: Again, "needs to know" does not imply everything there is to know. In the military we used the phrase, "On a need to know basis". We only told the troops what they needed to know, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they didn't need to know.

T: Right. "Can know" implies this. "Need to know" is a subset of "can know."

M: And, of course, "can know" refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something. When my kids were small, I only told them things their young minds could grasp, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they could not comprehend.

T: She said "all that man can know," so she didn't qualify this, other than limit it to man.

Do you think there is any possibility that my view of the two phrases is correct? Or, are you convinced you’re right and I’m wrong?

Quote:
T: Why, again, are you asking this question? Are you trying to point out things we need to know of God, or can know of God, that Jesus didn't reveal? Or do you have some other point to make?

M: I believe Jesus revealed them. It's just that I don't believe He revealed them while He was here in the flesh.

T: Well, that's what she said.

M: I believe Jesus' revelation of God includes both the OT and the NT. I do not limit it to the NT.

T: Of course it does. But her point is that all that man know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ during His incarnation. That means whatever was revealed in the OT was also revealed while Jesus was with us in the flesh. To put it another way, there was nothing lacking in Jesus Christ's revelation of the Father during His humanity.

M: I do not limit it to the NT.

T: Ellen White did. Not limit in the sense that Jesus didn't reveal things at other times, but limit in the sense that Jesus Christ's revelation of God, during His incarnation, was a full and complete revelation of God. It wasn't lacking, as you're appearing to understand it.

M: Your view (i.e. Jesus revealed the Father more clearly in the NT) seems to be at odds with the following passage:

T: "My" view is based on passages such as the following: [DA 22 quoted]. Please note:

1.The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. (This is in spite of what had been done in the OT)
2.That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. (This is something which had not been done, which remained to be done, and was done by Jesus Christ in the flesh).
3.This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known.(This is like John 1:18, which refers to Christ's being "in the bosom of the Father," or, as another version puts it, "He who knew Him best.")

Now how was Satan's deceptive power broken? By revealing the truth.

IMO, if we don't perceive that Jesus Christ in the flesh did something important, vitally important, by means of His revelation of the Father, we're missing something vital. When Jesus Christ said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," He was proclaiming the Gospel. The Gospel is the Good News about God. God is not like the devil has portrayed him to be, but He is like this! Behold Me and see! A couple more statements which deal with this theme:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

This points out that the "whole purpose" of Christ's earthly mission was "the revelation of God." Such a vital purpose (His "whole purpose") cannot be overemphasized.

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)
We are drawn back to God by beholding His character, which Jesus Christ revealed, especially in His death. She looks to have Peter's statement in mind here:

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God. (1 Pet. 3:18)

Regarding the quote you cited, in the OT, the Savior was pointed to prophetically. This is pointed to by the quote itself:
Quote:
It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ ...

The prophetic past is referring to the prophecies of Christ. In the NT we get to see the revelation. In the sentence immediately before where you started quoting her, we have the topic sentence of the paragraph, which is:

Quote:
The history of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, as that of the Son of God, cannot be fully demonstrated without the evidence contained in the Old Testament.

It's helpful to take into account the context of statements. In Hebrews we read:

Quote:
1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person ...(Heb. 1)

Something special happened when Christ came! The whole universe received a revelation of the Father that had never been seen. God in all His splendor was revealed in human flesh. "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." There was never a time in all human history that this was the case, until Christ.

Awesome study, Tom. Thank you. I think I’ll read it in Sabbath school class tomorrow. Well done. Again, thank you. Having said that, I hate to continue on a different vein. While I agree with what you posted above, I do not agree that Ellen White’s 8T 286 statement excludes Jesus’ revelation of God in the OT. However, please bear in mind that I also believe Jesus revealed certain aspects of God’s character by teaching them rather than by demonstrating them (i.e. employ the “withdraw and permit” principle or command people to kill sinners). Seems like I recall you agreeing with this point.

Quote:
M: I asked the two unanswered questions above because I do not know what you believe about it. As far as I know, you have never clearly stated why you think Jesus in the OT commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. You cite your humane hunter story and then trust that it clearly states your position. But it doesn't, at least, not for me.

The only thing I get from it is that the young man's father gave in against his wishes and taught his son how to hunt humanely, and that in so doing he ran the risk of people misunderstanding him and concluding he is in favor of hunting. But I don't see how this insight explains why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. We're not talking about killing wild game; we're talking about killing human beings.

T: You've asked this dozens of times. I've been very patient about this, but not everyone feels the same way about being repeatedly asked something and having this characterized as "unanswered."

I've discussed why we see things differently, and what I think the right way of proceeding is. Specifically, we're told that the atonement is the great truth around which all truths cluster, and that all things should be studied in the light of the cross in order to understand them. So I suggest doing this.

You say you're unhappy with my answer, which is your prerogative, but IMO it's unreasonable of you to characterize the dozens of pages I've written to answer your questions as not answering them, as well as quite odd that you would say you don't know what I believe, given how much I've written. But if you still don't know, in spite of all I've written, I doubt anything else I'd write would help. I'd once again suggest studying the subject in the light of the cross.

Tom, the bulk of what you’ve written about it is along the same lines of your answer here, namely, alluding to what we should do to arrive at an answer. I can honestly say you have never clearly explained your position, your conclusion. I doubt anybody here can summarize what you believe. Again, as far as I know, you have never clearly stated why you think Jesus in the OT commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

You wrote, “. . . we're told that the atonement is the great truth around which all truths cluster, and that all things should be studied in the light of the cross in order to understand them. So I suggest doing this.” Even if you were to do this, how would it change your summary? For example, if you were to say, “Therefore, in light of these things, I think Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death because . . . .” How would you finish this sentence?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #116925
07/31/09 06:45 PM
07/31/09 06:45 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: Can you name anything Jesus revealed about God that we do not need to know right now?

M: Because you stated, "Everything that man can know of God, including things which man doesn't need to know."

T: I wouldn't be qualified to say what we need to know and what we don't. God knows. You understand that what one needs to know is a subset of what one can know, don't you?

Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? And, no, I don’t see it as a subset.

Quote:
M: Again, "needs to know" does not imply everything there is to know. In the military we used the phrase, "On a need to know basis". We only told the troops what they needed to know, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they didn't need to know.

M: And, of course, "can know" refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something. When my kids were small, I only told them things their young minds could grasp, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they could not comprehend.

T: She said "all that man can know," so she didn't qualify this, other than limit it to man.

Do you think there is any possibility that my view of the two phrases is correct? Or, are you convinced you’re right and I’m wrong?
for me, these kinds of questions and pursuits leads away from what the scripture/sop stated and just wanders into confusion.

in other words we are no longer thinking of what the messenger of the Lord meant and meditating on that, we are now dissecting another person.

dont debate the statements! meditate on them prayerfully! why interrogate and wonder off into confusion, far, far from God?

dunno crazy help

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116926
07/31/09 07:21 PM
07/31/09 07:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
” All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

it is very clear to some of us that she meant specifically Christs incarnation and life, not from eden to His incarnation.

but yet, if im understanding correctly, it seems perfectly clear to others that she meant from eden to His death and not specifically His incarnation and life.

I’m sure you are aware of the fact that this statement is one of many in a chapter entitled – The Essential Knowledge. In this chapter she, among other things, writes:

Quote:
Skeptics refuse to believe in God because with their finite minds they cannot comprehend the infinite power by which He reveals Himself to men. But God is to be acknowledged more from what He does not reveal of Himself than from that which is open to our limited comprehension. Both in divine revelation and in nature, God has given to men mysteries to command their faith. This must be so. We may be ever searching, ever inquiring, ever learning, and yet there is an infinity beyond. {8T 261.2}

God saw that a clearer revelation than nature was needed to portray both His personality and His character. He sent His Son into the world to reveal, so far as could be endured by human sight, the nature and the attributes of the invisible God. {8T 265.5}

In the word, God is spoken of as "the everlasting God." This name embraces past, present, and future. God is from everlasting to everlasting. He is the Eternal One. {8T 270.1}

"Those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children forever;" but "the secret things belong unto the Lord our God." Deuteronomy 29:29. The revelation of Himself that God has given in His word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out in conjectures regarding the nature of God; but the effort will be fruitless. This problem has not been given us to solve. No human mind can comprehend God. Let not finite man attempt to interpret Him. Let none indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion. {8T 279.1}

Even the angels were not permitted to share the counsels between the Father and the Son when the plan of salvation was laid. Those human beings who seek to intrude into the secrets of the Most High show their ignorance of spiritual and eternal things. Far better might they, while mercy's voice is still heard, humble themselves in the dust and plead with God to teach them His ways. {8T 279.2}

We are as ignorant of God as little children, but as little children we may love and obey Him. Instead of speculating in regard to His nature or His prerogatives, let us give heed to the word He has spoken: "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. {8T 279.3}

Neither by searching the recesses of the earth nor in vain endeavors to penetrate the mysteries of God's being is wisdom found. It is found, rather, in humbly receiving the revelation that He has been pleased to give, and in conforming the life to His will. {8T 280.1}

To John the Lord opened the subjects that He saw would be needed by His people in the last days. The instruction that He gave is found in the book of Revelation. Those who would be co-workers with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will show a deep interest in the truths found in this book. With pen and voice they will strive to make plain the wonderful things that Christ came from heaven to reveal. {8T 301.4}

The solemn messages that have been given in their order in the Revelation are to occupy the first place in the minds of God's people. Nothing else is to be allowed to engross our attention. {8T 302.1}

The whole Bible is a revelation of the glory of God in Christ. Received, believed, obeyed, it is the great instrumentality in the transformation of character. And it is the only sure means of intellectual culture. {8T 319.1}

In this chapter Mrs. White speaks of the various and different ways God seeks to reveal Himself to us. "The whole Bible is a revelation of the glory of God in Christ." Yes, the revelation of Jesus, while He was here in the flesh, is by far the best. However, it is also evident that she did not say Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God.

On the contrary, she clearly says there are many things about God that we are too dull and dimwitted to grasp or comprehend and that because of this He has not yet revealed them. Not even the angels know everything there is to know about God. Why? Because He has not yet revealed everything there is to know about Himself. This is the point I've been trying to make all along.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #116929
07/31/09 10:42 PM
07/31/09 10:42 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
God saw that a clearer revelation than nature was needed to portray both His personality and His character. He sent His Son into the world to reveal, so far as could be endured by human sight, the nature and the attributes of the invisible God. {8T 265.5}

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

so i guess the question is,

why keep running away from it?

why run to other places to escape it?

that is how it is coming across to me as an observer, anyway. not only that i feel like some arent just doing the running themselves, they are also trying to drag others along with them. we'll run off exploring on all these sideroads, anything but stay on the straight and narrow.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116934
08/01/09 03:05 AM
08/01/09 03:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M:Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? And, no, I don’t see it as a subset.

Perhaps you don't understand what a subset is. Many people who aren't mathematically inclined don't, so this isn't an insult. I'll explain it.

A set X is a subset of set Y if all of the members of X are in Y. In order for X to not be a subset of Y, that means there is some member of set X which is not in set Y. So if we say X is the set "things man needs to know of God" and Y is "things man can know of God," then your assertion that you don't see X as a subset of Y means that you believe there is something which man needs to know of God but can't, which is obviously nonsense, and so cannot be true.

So X must be a subset of Y. The two could be the same set, which is probably what you have in mind. That is, you believe that the set of things which man needs to know of God is identical to the set of things man can know of God. One would have to define what "need" means in this context. If you have in mind "need" in terms of "to be saved," then this seems to me very unlikely to be true. That is, there are things which Jesus revealed of God that we do not need to know in order to be saved. If you say "need" in terms of "in order to be translated," I think that could be true. That is, to be translated, we need to know everything Jesus revealed of God.

Quote:

M:Do you think there is any possibility that my view of the two phrases is correct? Or, are you convinced you’re right and I’m wrong?

What specifically are you perceiving that I am saying that's different than what you are saying? I'm asking you this because it's not clear to me what you're asking me if I'm convinced I'm right about and your wrong.

Quote:
Awesome study, Tom. Thank you. I think I’ll read it in Sabbath school class tomorrow. Well done. Again, thank you.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Having said that, I hate to continue on a different vein. While I agree with what you posted above, I do not agree that Ellen White’s 8T 286 statement excludes Jesus’ revelation of God in the OT.

Clearly it's not included. She wrote:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. (8T 216)

Obviously this isn't talking about the OT. Right? There aren't many things clearer than this.

Quote:
M:However, please bear in mind that I also believe Jesus revealed certain aspects of God’s character by teaching them rather than by demonstrating them (i.e. employ the “withdraw and permit” principle or command people to kill sinners). Seems like I recall you agreeing with this point.

What Ellen White wrote is that "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son." So why not stick with the word used? Christ "revealed" God, in what He said, taught, and lived. All of this testimony is important.

Quote:
Tom, the bulk of what you’ve written about it is along the same lines of your answer here, namely, alluding to what we should do to arrive at an answer. I can honestly say you have never clearly explained your position, your conclusion. I doubt anybody here can summarize what you believe.

kland could for sure. I know of others who could as well, but I won't name them.

Quote:
Again, as far as I know, you have never clearly stated why you think Jesus in the OT commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

You wrote, “. . . we're told that the atonement is the great truth around which all truths cluster, and that all things should be studied in the light of the cross in order to understand them. So I suggest doing this.” Even if you were to do this, how would it change your summary? For example, if you were to say, “Therefore, in light of these things, I think Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death because . . . .” How would you finish this sentence?

You're whole way of thinking is wrong, IMO. I don't mean this in an offensive way, but merely to point out that I can't even begin to answer your question because there's no foundation upon which I could start. Or, trying to say this in another way, you are assuming things which I don't see as true. That is, I disagree with your assumptions, your paradigm, your whole way of looking at this. So there's no way for me to answer your question in a way you can understand. We would have to build some sort of bridge upon which to communicate. I've suggested ways that this bridge could be built.

The story of the father/hunter and his son was an attempt. But this story doesn't make sense to you. I said a number of times that if you didn't understand the story, that I could do a better job of explaining it than the story does.

I'm sorry I can't answer you in a way that's more satisfying to you, but I don't see how it would be possible to do so. I would, once again, suggest going back to the cross. We are told that all truths are to be understood in the light of the cross. So what happened there? How do we see God acting? How do we see man acting? What were the principles, the dynamics, involved there? Only by understanding the answers to these questions can we begin to tackle the more difficult ones, I believe.

You'll recall that I resisted your attempts a couple of years ago to discuss these things with you. It was only because of your undaunted persistence that I finally succumbed. Do you recall this? I don't mind having given in, because I learned a lot in our discussions, and I thank you for that. However, if this were going on today, I don't think I would have agreed, as I'm more convinced than ever of the truth of EGW's words that an understand of the cross is vital. And I think your understanding of the cross is way off.

I'm not saying mine is perfect, far from it, and I would expect that I can learn from insights you have on the subject. However, given the reality of how you view the cross, I don't think there's any way you could understand the truth of what I'm saying about these other subjects (assuming that what I'm saying is actually true). Therefore I think we would be better off discussing other subjects, such as the judgment and the cross. Also the fall. I think these are the foundational subjects upon which the others depend.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116936
08/01/09 03:41 AM
08/01/09 03:41 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
you so totally misunderstood. and it isnt the first time.

i said the sky was blue. somehow you read that i said the sky was green and are taking me to task for it, as usual. your problem, my brother, and i will just have to leave you bear it yourself.

So you say I misunderstood, yet you say nothing to clarify.

You say I have a problem, yet you leave me to bear it without your help.

The father chastens the son he loves. That's in the Bible. What you are doing, that's not love. Telling someone their zipper is open is love; letting them walk around unzipped is not.

I'll take pain any time over this namby-pamby sentimentalism that many mistake for love.

In case I was not clear, I am telling you right now that what you are doing and the attitude you are exhibiting is unloving. I'm simply doing for you what I wish others would do for me.

Last edited by asygo; 08/01/09 05:12 AM. Reason: converse corrected

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #116937
08/01/09 03:43 AM
08/01/09 03:43 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
I don't think he's been treated in an unchristlike manner in these discussions.

If you wish to know my opinion regarding this, I'd be happy to share it.

Please do. If you have experienced bad treatment, especially by me, I would like to know.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!