HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #117014
08/02/09 07:39 PM
08/02/09 07:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Again, as far as I know, you have never clearly stated why you think Jesus in the OT commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

MM, please take a look at http://sinbearer.com/light_on_the_dark_side_of_god.htm chapter 9. This is a good explanation of what I've been trying to say.

His point is clear and twofold . . .

Quote:
If God's wrath in other places is His removing Himself from the arena of willful, entrenched sin, why isn't it here?

What did God do when he became angry? He departed. Only then did Miriam appear leprous.

Here, again, God depicts Himself as doing what He does not prevent. He "summoned" the disaster, "spared neither" youth or aged. One might think God Himself personally inflicted this disaster upon His people. But no. The prophet Isaiah says in crystal-clear language that God "removed the protection of Judah" (Isaiah 22:8). As in the case of His own Son, the Sin-bearer, He simply ceased to protect, and the result? release into the hands of destruction. Thus it was with Israel. And thus with Sodom.

Placing this language within our new model, God may be saying here and in numerous other places, in essence: You have chosen to deal with this emergency militarily, in harmony with the methods of the nations around you, instead of exercising the faith required to rely totally upon Me. Therefore, since you have chosen this method and I must either reject you for it or direct you in it, I choose to do the latter. When you go to these nations to war, you must utterly destroy them; otherwise, they will be a snare to you for all future generations. If you're going to do it your way, He seems to say, then do it right.

. . ., namely, 1) The "withdraw and permit" principle accounts for all the death and destruction attributed to God, and 2) God capitulated, compromised, gave in to the wicked will of the COI and commanded them to totally obliterate their enemies "men, women, and children".

I didn't see where he addressed why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. But in response to number 2 above, I have some questions - What was God's original plan for ridding the Promised Land of her heathen inhabitants? Why did God cave in and let the COI kill thousands of men, women, and children?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #117015
08/02/09 07:54 PM
08/02/09 07:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Thank you for further explaining what you meant by “subset”. You are definitely more informed about such things than I am, and I appreciate the lesson. You are a good teacher. However, I do not view the two phrases as subsets or the same sets. Again, “needs to know” and “can know” are referring to two different aspects of knowledge. The one deals with content, whereas the other deals with ability.

Let's try again. We'll change the subject to something else, say, butterflies. "All that one needs to know about butterflies was revealed by Dr. Seuss." "All that one can know about butterflies was revealed by Dr. Seuss." The former is a subset of the latter. Why? Because only things which can be known about butterflies could possible be things one needs to know. Once can't need to know things which can't be known. Got it?

Quote:
Yes, the knowledge Jesus revealed about God is what we “need to know”. I agree with the way you differentiated between salvation and translation.

You overlooked the first question in my post above, namely, Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? How can you be so sure He revealed things about God we don’t need to know? Do you have an example in mind?

I addressed this.

Quote:
T: What specifically are you perceiving that I am saying that's different than what you are saying? I'm asking you this because it's not clear to me what you're asking me if I'm convinced I'm right about and your wrong.

M:I wrote, “Again, ‘needs to know’ does not imply everything there is to know. . . And, of course, ‘can know’ refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something.” You seem to be objecting to this way of looking at it. Do you think I’m looking at it incorrectly?

I agree that "needs to know" does not necessarily imply everything there is to know. It is a subset. Possibly a proper subset, or possibly the same set. Regarding "can know," that means things which one can know. Both the following statements are talking about "things."

A.Things which need to be known.
B.Things which can be known.

Let's say there are 3 things which need to be known, 1, 2, and 3. The number of things which can be known would have to be at least 3. If they are 3, they are precisely things 1, 2, and 3. If they are more than 3, they include things 1, 2, and 3, The phrase "things which can be known," must, of necessity, including things 1, 2, and 3. There can be no thing which needs to be known which cannot be known.

Quote:
Did you happen to read what I posted in #116926? In that section in 8T Ellen White was addressing false views regarding the person of God the Father. In it she says, "The whole Bible is a revelation of the glory of God in Christ." Yes, the revelation of Jesus, while He was here in the flesh, is by far the best. However, it is also evident that she did not say Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God.

Sure she did. Right here:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

This is speaking of Christ in His humanity, which she makes clear by saying:

Quote:
Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings ... He became flesh, even as we are. (next couple of sentences)

You're hard to understand sometimes, MM. She clearly said that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ. It doesn't make sense to deny this. If you don't agree with this, that's another thing, but anyone can see what it says.

Quote:
M: Tom, the bulk of what you’ve written about it is along the same lines of your answer here, namely, alluding to what we should do to arrive at an answer. I can honestly say you have never clearly explained your position, your conclusion. I doubt anybody here can summarize what you believe.

T: kland could for sure. I know of others who could as well, but I won't name them.

M:I doubt it. I’ve seen no evidence of it on this forum.

You doubt what? That kland could summarize it? Or that anyone else could? Keep in mind that not everyone who reads these posts posts themselves. So there are people reading things here that you may not be aware of. Also teresa might be able to summarize it. It wouldn't surprise me if Rosangela could as well. If you read the link I provided, chapter 9, you could summarize it yourself by simply copying and pasting from that.

Quote:
M:You wrote, “I disagree with your assumptions, your paradigm, your whole way of looking at this.” How are we supposed to look at the following passage:

I provided a link which discusses this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #117016
08/02/09 08:08 PM
08/02/09 08:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
it appears to be all in how one looks at it.

the penalty for drinking hemlock is death.

the penalty for ingesting arsenic is death.

the penalty for smoking is death.

the penalty for drug abuse is death.

the penalty for reckless driving is manglement or death.

a very tragic and heartbreaking recent example is, the penalty for an unhealthy lifestyle is death.

the penalty for breaking the 10c is death.

so, it seems to depend on how one looks at it.

The following insight is helpful:

Quote:
What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

The enforcement of capital punishment in accordance with the law of God was not the end of their punishment. It merely symbolized the full and final penalty awaiting them. Neither is the cause and effect deaths that result from breaking the natural laws the end of their punishment. It comes at the end of time. Again, Ellen White states it quite clearly:

Quote:
The Sabbath was made for the benefit of man; and to knowingly transgress the holy commandment forbidding labor upon the seventh day is a crime in the sight of heaven which was of such magnitude under the Mosaic law as to require the death of the offender. But this was not all that the offender was to suffer, for God would not take a transgressor of His law to heaven. He must suffer the second death, which is the full and final penalty for the transgressor of the law of God. {1T 533.1}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #117017
08/02/09 08:11 PM
08/02/09 08:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I would prefer it, Teresaq, if you would learn not to share your harsh and unloving words. Please keep such opinions to yourself. Instead, share the truth as you see it. Nothing positive can come from attacking people that you disagree with. Yes, you can disagree with their point of view but not without sharing why and what you believe is true. I'm hoping you don't go away mad. I'm hoping you will be a positive part of these studies. Think about it.

t: i do not agree that that is what i am doing. now how do i stop you from the way you address me. i have stated it everyway i know how but you do not see yourself as doing what i see. what is the answer?

What do you see me doing? Please post samples (include the context) of me doing something you find objectionable and unacceptable.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Will] #117018
08/02/09 08:14 PM
08/02/09 08:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Will
Everyone has a right to their own opinions, which are formed from ones own experience. However we all know that being a Christian is not easy, so if you find it difficult to be exercise patience with someone, then you know you are on the right track. Just persevere a bit longer and do the right thing.
FYI: We are all in the same boat, only advantage we have is we have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior, which is a gift.

Lets keep this civil even if it means you have to bite on your lip.

God Bless,
Will

Will, good to see you again. It's been awhile. Hope all is well. And, thank you for the good advice.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #117019
08/02/09 08:34 PM
08/02/09 08:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:. ., namely, 1) The "withdraw and permit" principle accounts for all the death and destruction attributed to God, and 2) God capitulated, compromised, gave in to the wicked will of the COI and commanded them to totally obliterate their enemies "men, women, and children".

I think rather than putting your own negative slant on what the write wrote, you'd be better off quoting her. After all, you complain when others do this to you. So why should you do it? Remember the Golden Rule!

Quote:
M:I didn't see where he addressed why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. But in response to number 2 above, I have some questions - What was God's original plan for ridding the Promised Land of her heathen inhabitants?

His original plan was that the heathen repent and be converted.

Quote:
M:Why did God cave in and let the COI kill thousands of men, women, and children?

Tsk, tsk! Remember the Golden Rule!

Here's what the author actually said:

Quote:
Therefore, since you have chosen this method and I must either reject you for it or direct you in it, I choose to do the latter. When you go to these nations to war, you must utterly destroy them; otherwise, they will be a snare to you for all future generations. If you're going to do it your way, He seems to say, then do it right.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #117020
08/02/09 08:40 PM
08/02/09 08:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I feel constrained to point out that I think you're entire way of going about this is destined to be fruitless. I think to understand these things we need to study the life and character of Jesus Christ in His humanity, which the SOP tells us revealed everything we can know of God. I've also suggested that, given that all truths can only be known in the light of the cross, the great truth upon which all other truths cluster, it would be good to study that. But we spend 95% or more of our time here following the very approach I'm saying I disagree with.

How do you think Christ treated people? Would you say He was kind, gentle, and generous? Or vengeful, and violent? What do you think He taught? Did He teach us to be vengeful and violent, or to turn the other cheek? How did He Himself act when faced with torture and death by His enemies?

Do you think God is like this? Or is God fundamentally different in how He acts than what Jesus Christ lived and taught?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #117021
08/02/09 08:48 PM
08/02/09 08:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I know you are "fixed in" to seeing the death of the wicked as being an imposed punishment, as opposed to a consequence of their own actions. Two questions come up. First of all, how does this fit in with DA 764?

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

Question two is, why do you think looking at sin as basically something innocuous, which only results in death in those who practice it because God kills them, as a superior way of looking at things then that sin results in death because of its nature? (i.e., that sin is lethal, as opposed to innocuous).

I'll tell you why I think the lethal view is superior. Under the lethal view, it is sin which is to be feared, and sin which is the enemy. Above all things, we need to be set free from its power. Under this paradigm, we see God as the Savior, who does whatever it takes, including sacrificing Himself in the person of His Son, to free us from its grips. We do not fear God, as one who will cause us excruciating pain and then kill us if we don't do what He says, but as one who warns us of the awful consequences of not believing what He tells us about sin and Satan.

If we view sin as innocuous, I don't see how we can avoid having negative views and feelings about God. In particular, it seems inevitable to me that we would be afraid of God. It seems our motivation in doing right would involving fearing the consequences of being caught in the hands of a vengeful God if we didn't.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #117022
08/02/09 09:51 PM
08/02/09 09:51 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: I would prefer it, Teresaq, if you would learn not to share your harsh and unloving words. Please keep such opinions to yourself. Instead, share the truth as you see it. Nothing positive can come from attacking people that you disagree with. Yes, you can disagree with their point of view but not without sharing why and what you believe is true. I'm hoping you don't go away mad. I'm hoping you will be a positive part of these studies. Think about it.

t: i do not agree that that is what i am doing. now how do i stop you from the way you address me. i have stated it everyway i know how but you do not see yourself as doing what i see. what is the answer?

What do you see me doing? Please post samples (include the context) of me doing something you find objectionable and unacceptable.
youve forgotten already?!?

sorry, i forget others dont appear to have the memory God seems to have blessed me with.

i will save this and point it out each time it happens. i have just barely started documenting posts so dont have the specific times, yet.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #117031
08/03/09 02:54 AM
08/03/09 02:54 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
M: Tom, the bulk of what you’ve written about it is along the same lines of your answer here, namely, alluding to what we should do to arrive at an answer. I can honestly say you have never clearly explained your position, your conclusion. I doubt anybody here can summarize what you believe.

T: kland could for sure. I know of others who could as well, but I won't name them.

M:I doubt it. I’ve seen no evidence of it on this forum.

You doubt what? That kland could summarize it? Or that anyone else could? Keep in mind that not everyone who reads these posts posts themselves. So there are people reading things here that you may not be aware of. Also teresa might be able to summarize it. ...
having thought about your various posts and studied that chapter in light of those posts i would agree that it is accurate for what you believe.

but i need to stress, and strongly stress, that that is based on what she, the author, herself has said specifically and not on particular paraphrases, otherwise i would be slandering you and i do not wish to do that since it is a serious offense in the sight of God, justifiably warranting death, due to the serious repercussions it could cause to the person being slandered.

it is written: Deu 19:16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
Deu 19:17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
Deu 19:18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
Deu 19:19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!