HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,495 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Tom] #117586
08/12/09 10:02 PM
08/12/09 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I suggest that if the passage is read in its context she makes a dual application - both to the future. Her first application is to the 'little time of trouble' and the second is to the execution of the judgment at the end of the millennium.

Would you explain this please?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Tom] #117605
08/13/09 03:56 AM
08/13/09 03:56 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
It's not either/or in my view, Tom. It's cause and effect, but behind the scenes God's providences, His mercies and His justice always prevail. God is a lawgiver and yet he is the fountain of mercy. All things work together for our good.

If you're using the phrase that God "rains fire and brimstone" upon those who have rejected His witnesses in the sense that things play out as EGW explained in 14MR 3, then I agree with you, and am sorry if I misunderstood you. Also, I'm not wanting to derail your thread. It's just that I feel constrained to comment in some way when I see certain things.
revelation 11:1-13 has already happened, that it may have a dual ap is a possibility. she says that history will repeat itself. i read that differently than as a "dual" ap.

but, rev 11:14-19 has not happened yet, so cannot have a dual ap. it is quite possible that she simply meant we need to study them in the light that the second woe is past and that we should be attentive to the third woe coming.

Quote:
The Lord calls for His people to locate away from the cities, for in such an hour as ye think not, fire and brimstone will be rained from heaven upon these cities. Proportionate to their sins will be their visitation. When one city is destroyed, let not our people regard this matter as a light affair, and think that they may, if favorable opportunity offers, build themselves homes in that same destroyed city. . . . {LDE 95.3}
Let all who would understand the meaning of these things read the eleventh chapter of Revelation. Read every verse, and learn the things that are yet to take place in the cities. Read also the scenes portrayed in the eighteenth chapter of the same book.--MR 1518 (May 10, 1906). {LDE 95.4}
putting all the bible texts together that relate to this period would put this in perspective, i believe. it is possible this is what she was refering to:Rev 17:16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
Rev 18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: teresaq] #117657
08/14/09 09:49 AM
08/14/09 09:49 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Quote:
Study the tenth chapter of Daniel, and mark particularly the fourteenth verse. "Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days" (Daniel 10:14). When our brethren and ministers shall feel the burden that should rest upon them, they will not be content with a few surface truths. They will sink the shaft deep, and will have the spirit that Daniel possessed.

Comment: In the above passage two things are remarkable: One is the implication that the vision applies to the very end of time primarily and the second is that we will need the spirit of Daniel to stand at that time.

The vision that chapter 10 introduces -(found in chapters 11 and 12) contains the most detailed information on the abomination of desolation, the warning that Christ has told us to read and understand. “When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains.” Matthew 24:15.

Regarding that warning Ellen White says:

Quote:

Let us read and study the twelfth chapter of Daniel. It is a warning that we shall all need to understand before the time of the end.--15 MR 228 (1903). {LDE 15.4}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117658
08/14/09 12:01 PM
08/14/09 12:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems to me that she is looking to apply principles from a given prophecy to other situations. That is, she appears to me to have thunk more in terms of "the principles of this prophecy has other applications" than "this prophecy has multiple fulfillments."

I'm curious as to the thoughts of others on this thread regarding this.

Actually, it seems to me in general that the real value in the prophecy is ferreting out the principle involved. We know the whole Bible is about Christ, but how that is the case isn't always right on the surface.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Tom] #117681
08/15/09 08:32 PM
08/15/09 08:32 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA

Well, friends, you be the judge. In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles? Isn’t it the latter? In the passages I’ve quoted she’s directed our attention to these things and urged that we study them in detail. Why? Because God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.

Ellen White’s burden and hopefully mine and yours is character development. We so much need to eat that little prophetic book that’s open in the hand of the Mighty Angel so that we can become like Him. Every Christian, and the devil to, is familiar with the claim that God is love. But it’s in reviewing His great acts in the past and in the future in detail, meditating on them and assimilating them into our souls that our characters are transformed into His image.

And I feel I should add this warning: One who teaches that God never brings judgment but that judgment is only a matter of cause and effect, is not teaching about the God of the Bible because we know that God Himself will 'bring every work into judgment'. Mercy and justice are active divine principles that are at the foundation of God's throne, of heaven's government of universal order and of love. These two principles – mercy and justice - are far more than being mere cause and effect. They are the active principles of heaven. They often work in harmony with the laws of cause and effect, so that on the surface it may seem that natural laws govern. But the active principles that under gird all that transpires in the universe are these two – mercy and justice - and both of these issue from the Divine throne. These are Biblical facts. Anyone who swerves from them and suggests that God does not personally hold intelligent beings accountable, that God does not personally reward both the righteous and the wicked according to their works, however well intended, is undermining the picture of the character of God presented clearly in sacred history and recorded accurately in Scripture.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117683
08/15/09 09:21 PM
08/15/09 09:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles?

To quote you, I don't think it's either or. I was commenting on Ellen White's mindset. It seems to me her thinking was more along the lines of applying principles of certain prophecies to other circumstances as opposed to saying "this prophecy of Daniel (or Revelation) has multiple fulfillments. First there's (pick some event or year), then there's this (event or year) yet to come as well.

Regarding "Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles?" this question seems out of place as an "or" question. Certainly one can choose to study the prophecies in detail without having to exclude oneself from also being able to apply its principles, right? That is, it's not as if one much choose to do one thing or the other.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117684
08/15/09 09:33 PM
08/15/09 09:33 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

Well, friends, you be the judge. In the passages quoted above and in the ones following, is Ellen White saying study the principles of these prophecies; the details of them have no future application? Or, is she saying study the prophecies themselves in detail and from that you will understand the principles? Isn’t it the latter? In the passages I’ve quoted she’s directed our attention to these things and urged that we study them in detail. Why? Because God reveals Himself in history, past and future. If we don't see His future work of judgment clearly, which all the prophets have born witness to starting with Enoch, we won't take on the attributes of His character.
im not seeing the connection between the principles of the prophecies and possible future applications.

all the sites ive come across with future applications seemed to be more about trying to work out to the last detail what will happen. but i cant remember seeing anything about Jesus life, the difference between what He was and how we are

it seems to me that we can study the ongoing judgment, im assuming you mean the investigative judgment, but i havent seen where that helps us take on the attributes of Christ. ellen white says to study Christs life, isnt that what would make us judgment and heaven-ready?

if you could explain a little more how believing there are future applications could make us more Christlike?

i think im asking also, that you didnt mean to give the impression that we are to disregard the life of Christ and study the judgments(?) of the ot, instead?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Tom] #117685
08/15/09 09:47 PM
08/15/09 09:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the comments about judgment, the idea seems to be that if God does not do something beyond cause and effect, then He is not personally holding people accountable. But the Biblical principle is "What you sow, so shall you reap." (cause and effect).

The SOP puts it like this:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. ...God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.(DA 764)

Both the righteous and the wicked "receive the results of their own choice." This is the principle of sowing and reaping. This is cause and effect.

It sounds as if it's being implied that God can only hold people to be personally responsible for their actions by not allowing them to receive the principles of their choice, or not allowing them to reap what they have sown (cause and effect).

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117686
08/15/09 09:49 PM
08/15/09 09:49 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
And I feel I should add this warning: One who teaches that God never brings judgment but that judgment is only a matter of cause and effect, is not teaching about the God of the Bible because we know that God Himself will 'bring every work into judgment'. Mercy and justice are active divine principles that are at the foundation of God's throne, of heaven's government of universal order and of love. These two principles – mercy and justice - are far more than being mere cause and effect. They are the active principles of heaven. They often work in harmony with the laws of cause and effect, so that on the surface it may seem that natural laws govern. But the active principles that under gird all that transpires in the universe are these two – mercy and justice - and both of these issue from the Divine throne. These are Biblical facts. Anyone who swerves from them and suggests that God does not personally hold intelligent beings accountable, that God does not personally reward both the righteous and the wicked according to their works, however well intended, is undermining the picture of the character of God presented clearly in sacred history and recorded accurately in Scripture.
isnt the reward for the righteous eternal life?

and the reward for the lost eternal death?

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Colin] #117687
08/15/09 10:24 PM
08/15/09 10:24 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Colin

Gordon study of prophecy for our future hasn't stopped, that I've seen. The only wrong move is dismantling historicism for the little horn and its time periods.

The repentance of Dan 9 is a thing to be studied, too, and it is corporate - whatever the likelihood of that is!

How much more detail do we need for the future than that the latter rain should precede the mark of the beast?

Colin, "nothing substantially new" is the issue. Yes the studies continue in circles.

The repentance is corporate yes, but not Corporate. The body of true believers will all individually repent; Silver Springs - you are correct, no likelihood.
____

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!