HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 91 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117780
08/19/09 03:28 PM
08/19/09 03:28 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Why is Jesus, or as teresaq phrased it: "heaven itself," likened to "pricks"?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117781
08/19/09 03:48 PM
08/19/09 03:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I think that for the sake of the non-sdas that might be reading this we should probably stick with biblical language. Jesus was the God-man at the incarnation, He did not exist before that.

Just to clarify here, you're not saying that the Second Person of the Godhead, the Son of God, didn't exist, but that the man Jesus did not exist, until the Son became incarnate, right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117802
08/19/09 11:06 PM
08/19/09 11:06 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I think that for the sake of the non-sdas that might be reading this we should probably stick with biblical language. Jesus was the God-man at the incarnation, He did not exist before that.

Just to clarify here, you're not saying that the Second Person of the Godhead, the Son of God, didn't exist, but that the man Jesus did not exist, until the Son became incarnate, right?
thank you. i was in a hurry and couldnt figure out how to state it.
the Son of God, as the bible refers to Him, among other terms, has existed from eternity, but Jesus, the God-man, did not exist until the incarnation.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117803
08/19/09 11:28 PM
08/19/09 11:28 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Tom, I don't see the similarities between God turning dust into lice and God permitting the snakes in the area to bite the COI. Are you suggesting God did something like turn sticks into snakes? Or, are you saying God permitted the lice in the area to bite the Egyptians? If so, what is the difference between God creating lice out of dust and then permitting them to bite the people?

t: for me, mm, the difference is whether God is showing how He has been protecting everyone, good and evil, all along, or whether Hes like us and getting vengence, or punitive. would that make sense?

by the way, i can go either way. either the eggs were there all along and God had been controlling the lice population or that He created them. until i wrote this, i could. smile now it seems to me He was showing how He had been protecting them.

Are you saying it's possible Jesus turned the dust into lice? If so, in what sense was He protecting the Egyptians?

post 117765
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Once again, Mike, you've brought out some good, heaven-inspired truths. "It is hard...to kick against the pricks."

post 117773
Perhaps, Tom, you have not noticed the irony in the word "pricks." To whom did this refer?

post 117775
GC, if you think I've missed something, please just point it out.

post 117779
Perhaps, Tom, you have not noticed the irony in the word "pricks." To whom did this refer?

Act 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

thanks for pointing out that when we persecute others we are "kicking against the pricks". we are resisting heaven itself.

post 117780
Why is Jesus, or as teresaq phrased it: "heaven itself," likened to "pricks"?
the text in its context gives the impression that we are kicking against the pricks in persecuting others who do not believe what we want them to. in persecuting others we are persecuting Christ Himself.

are you thinking it means something else?

(thank you for prolonging this. it is a very important subject we do not half understand.)

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117804
08/20/09 12:06 AM
08/20/09 12:06 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
It looks like we're talking past each other.

I'm interested in what you think of it. So I'm reposting it:

Let's look at some details. So, let's say God withdraws His protection from the Jews, which is easy to do because EGW said it first (the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them).

From there, we have two possibilities: God orchestrates what happens next, or He does not. I believe we both agree that you believe that God DOES NOT orchestrate what happens next.

So, what does that mean? That means He watches what happens next. He might not make it happen, but He surely sees it happening. Therefore, God watched the bad things happen to the Jews who no longer had His protection. I trust we are in agreement so far.

OK, let's look at the "derogatory" part: as if God were ignorant or apathetic. I'm not sure what you believe here, though I have some guesses, so I'll let you explain yourself.

IGNORANT
When God's protection was withdrawn, did God know what was going to happen next? If He did know what would happen next, He would not be ignorant. But it would mean that He withdrew His protection knowing that bad things were going to happen, and He watched as they happened.

APATHETIC
When these bad things were happening to the Jews, did God have the ability to stop them from happening? If God was unable to stop the bad things, then He cannot be charged with apathy, since it was beyond His control. However, if God did have the ability to stop these bad things, then either He did not care that they were happening, or He preferred that they happen over them not happening. So we have something that looks like a binary tree.

So, since you do not believe that God orchestrated the bad things that happened after His protection was withdrawn, these are the possible options. How would you characterize God's action/inaction after withdrawing His protection?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117806
08/20/09 12:19 AM
08/20/09 12:19 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I really don't understand how you could think this (the EGW quote) "doesn't seem conclusive." It seems to me saying

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(emphasis mine)

is as conclusive as it gets.

I don't see how there could be more information pointing to the idea that God was orchestrating this, because that would contradict the idea that Satan was concealing his own work.

What do you think was Satan's "work" in this context? Here's the quote again:
Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(GC 35)

It seems the "bad things" the Jews experienced were "the utter destruction that befell them as a nation" and "all the woes that followed them in their dispersion." Is this the work you believe Satan was concealing?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117812
08/20/09 03:03 AM
08/20/09 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #117804, Arnold, I didn't make any comment about what you wrote, but about what GC wrote.

Quote:
GC:I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next.

T:Also, in conjunction with this, the following:

GC:The seven last plagues will be more terrible than the ten which Egypt experienced, and I have no doubt in my mind but that God is directly in control of them, not just "withdrawing protection" (which I agree that He does) and then seeing what the devil conjures up with the extra liberty.

And, actually, I didn't bring this up, but Teresa did. I simply agreed with her point.

Regarding how I would character God's action/inaction, one of the quotes I think Teresa presented spoke of how God continues to protect in certain areas while letting others go. Regarding how He felt, I believe Jesus summed it up when He lamented, "How often I would have gathered you up, as a hen gathers its chicks, but you would not!" Hosea also comes to mind: "How can I give you up!" And David's pathetic (as in "marked by sorrow or melancholy") lament "Oh Absalom, my son, my son, Absalom, my son! Would God that I had died for thee!"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117813
08/20/09 03:12 AM
08/20/09 03:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding what Satan did, here's a portion of the description of the destruction of Jersalem which discusses what Satan did:

Quote:
The long-suffering of God toward Jerusalem only confirmed the Jews in their stubborn impenitence. In their hatred and cruelty toward the disciples of Jesus they rejected the last offer of mercy. Then God withdrew His protection from them and removed His restraining power from Satan and his angels, and the nation was left to the control of the leader she had chosen. Her children had spurned the grace of Christ, which would have enabled them to subdue their evil impulses, and now these became the conquerors. Satan aroused the fiercest and most debased passions of the soul. Men did not reason; they were beyond reason--controlled by impulse and blind rage. They became satanic in their cruelty. In the family and in the nation, among the highest and the lowest classes alike, there was suspicion, envy, hatred, strife, rebellion, murder. There was no safety anywhere. Friends and kindred betrayed one another. Parents slew their children, and children their parents. The rulers of the people had no power to rule themselves. Uncontrolled passions made them tyrants. The Jews had accepted false testimony to condemn the innocent Son of God. Now false accusations made their own lives uncertain. By their actions they had long been saying: "Cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us." Isaiah 30:11. Now their desire was granted. The fear of God no longer disturbed them. Satan was at the head of the nation, and the highest civil and religious authorities were under his sway. (GC 29)

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117821
08/20/09 05:45 AM
08/20/09 05:45 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Regarding #117804, Arnold, I didn't make any comment about what you wrote, but about what GC wrote.

Quote:
GC:I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next.

T:Also, in conjunction with this, the following:

GC:The seven last plagues will be more terrible than the ten which Egypt experienced, and I have no doubt in my mind but that God is directly in control of them, not just "withdrawing protection" (which I agree that He does) and then seeing what the devil conjures up with the extra liberty.

And, actually, I didn't bring this up, but Teresa did. I simply agreed with her point.

117460[quote]
Tom,

It was not a matter of "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next."
is that what tom has said or implied?
i cant remember tom ever having said anything like this. i also dont understand, nor have been shown, how what he has said, relating to the plagues, has been interpreted that way.

i suppose it could somehow or other but i cant see it.

i can understand his view being seen as radically different and resisted as ellen white did when first exposed to the truth that the lost do not suffer eternally in hell. something we generationals cannot comprehend since we are given this "truth" almost since birth, but for non-sdas it comes as quite a shock. it is resisted most strenuously, by many. as is the idea that the 7th day is the sabbath not sunday.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117832
08/20/09 06:43 PM
08/20/09 06:43 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
it looks like this is, or was, the official position of the church:
Quote:
Judgments Come When God Removes His Protection

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then, if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course, independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. {LDE 242.1}
It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey.--14MR 3 (1883). {LDE 242.2}
God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored.--PC 136 (1894). {LDE 242.3}
Already the Spirit of God, insulted, refused, abused, is being withdrawn from the earth. Just as fast as God's Spirit is taken away, Satan's cruel work will be done upon land and sea.--Ms 134, 1898. {LDE 242.4}
The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.--GC 614 (1911). {LDE 242.5}

At Times Holy Angels Exercise Destructive Power [THE SINNER MUST HIMSELF BEAR FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PUNISHMENT THAT IS METED OUT TO HIM. ELLEN WHITE STATES, "GOD DESTROYS NO ONE. THE SINNER DESTROYS HIMSELF BY HIS OWN IMPENITENCE." 5T 120. SEE FURTHER THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, PP. 25-37.]

God's judgments were awakened against Jericho. It was a stronghold. But the Captain of the Lord's host Himself came from heaven to lead the armies of heaven in an attack upon the city. Angels of God laid hold of the massive walls and brought them to the ground.--3T 264 (1873). {LDE 243.1}
Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men.--DA 700 (1898). {LDE 243.2}
The same angel who had come from the royal courts to rescue Peter had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber. It was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, laying low his pride and bringing upon him the punishment of the Almighty. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive judgment of God.--AA 152 (1911). {LDE 243.3}
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere.--GC 614 (1911). {LDE 243.4}
which raises the question, do we now have people in responsible positions trying to undermine our original stance?

or is the problem that we are setting ourselves up on the side of 1 set of quotes or the other set instead of trying to understand the conflict?

do we consider the detailed history of the destruction by the babylonians (ezekiel 9) and the romans (matthew ), or do we disregard that in favor of less defined events?

and finally do we have our own personal view of God that we do not wish to see destroyed?

Page 75 of 91 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!