HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118081
08/24/09 02:19 PM
08/24/09 02:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Also, are you of the opinion God has never caused pain, that He merely withdraws His protection and allows pain to happen?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118091
08/24/09 03:50 PM
08/24/09 03:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:PS - Also, are you of the opinion God has never caused pain, that He merely withdraws His protection and allows pain to happen?

I think this wasn't addressed to me, but I'd like to comment. The title of this thread is a bit misleading, it seems to me, or rather the question. The context of the discussion that led to this thread was whether or not God caused people to have excruciating pain as a means to get His way or to punish people. I never made any statement so general as to say that God never causes pain.

For example, when the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, is there pain involved? One could certainly interpret things this way. To my mind, this would be like the Doctor who causes pain to his patient in order to heal him.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118101
08/24/09 08:23 PM
08/24/09 08:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
How would God have given them weapons if He wanted to?

If He wanted to do so miraculously, He could have created them, and given them to the COI. Another way would be to direct them in creating their own weapons.

Quote:
Did He drown the Egyptians in the Red Sea and then direct the COI to gather up the weapons?

No.

Quote:
Also, you didn’t answer my question. Did God direct them in violating His law by teaching them how to get divorced, to practice polygamy, and to slaughter their enemies in combat?

Is it against His law to do these things?

Quote:
T: This doesn't have any thing to do with my point, which is that if you believe that:

a. Capital Punishment is the penalty for sin.
b. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sin.

then it follows you believe that

c. Jesus Christ was capitally punished.

M:Yes, it is true that Jesus experienced corporal punishment for our sins on the cross. Remember, though, that capital punishment includes death. Consequently, the fact Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our second death, rather than succumbing to it, is evidence He is our Substitute and Savior. As such, is it accurate to conclude, “Jesus Christ was capitally punished”? I don't think so.

So it is your view that in order to "pay the penalty" it was necessary for Christ to "taste" death, but He didn't actually have to die? How does "tasting" death satisfy the legal requirement that the sinner must die?

Quote:
Yes, I believe atonement includes empowering sinners to love and obey God. Please keep this in mind as we pursue other important aspects of atonement.

If atonement is "at-one-ment," then to say the "other important aspects" must be related to this (i.e., to "at-one-ment"; which is, being made at one).

Quote:
M: Why do you think John 3:16 supports your idea that faith and repentance is the only way to be freed from sin?

T: I'll quote from the SOP to explain this:

I think this explains it clearly. If you don't see this, I'll go through the quote point by point to explain how it makes the point that repentance and faith sets us free from sin.

M:“. . . so the Son of man has been lifted up . . .” Why was it necessary for Jesus to suffer and die as though He committed every sin ever committed? Was it merely to motivate sinners to love and obey God? Or, does it also involve honoring the law by satisfying its just and loving demands, namely, that death must happen in consequence of sin?

You asked why I thought that one is freed from sin by faith and repentance. I explained why. What do these questions have to do with that?

Regarding your questions, they have false assumptions, from my standpoint. Enough so that I think you should quote something I've actually said and ask me about that. I'll comment on one point, however, and that is that you appear to believe that the just and loving demands of the law are a separate issue. If it were a separate issue, then it should have applied to Lucifer, and God should not have been able to pardon him nor allow him back to his original post simply on the basis of repentance and submission.

Quote:
Assuming God was willing to pardon Lucifer on condition of submission and repentance, without also requiring the death of Jesus, as if creature merit is sufficient to atone for sin, and then postulating it proves Jesus didn’t have to suffer and die to satisfy the demands of law and justice is an unwarranted conclusion.

I believe you're making false assumptions here. First of all, you say "assuming God was willing." We don't need to "assume" this, as we've been flat out told this was the case. Secondly "as if creature merit is sufficient to atone for sin" is assuming that the very point we're discussing is true. Rather than assuming this is true, let's consider the evidence. God gave Lucifer a chance to confess his sin, and return to his post. Had he repented and submitted, he would have been pardoned. If the issue were one of having to pay for atonement, surely this wouldn't have been possible. Therefore the assumption is false. So rather than assuming the idea she's articulating is that Lucifer's repentance and submission would be an atonement for sin, consider another possibility that fits with the evidence, which is that this wasn't the issue that needed to be resolved. Lucifer needed to be reconciled to God. That was the issue. In order to be reconciled to God, it was necessary that he repent. In order for man, whose circumstances were different than Lucifer's, it was necessary for Christ to die. Why? The DA passage from page 762 I think it is, that I've quoted many times, explains why. Also the following comment by Fifield nails the issue on the head:

Quote:
God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself.” The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.(God is Love)

Quote:
Weeping and gnashing of teeth can happen for reasons other than the one you are suggesting. Are you suggesting the wicked will experience the same kind of soul anguish Jesus did and for the same reasons?

I'm suggesting the following:

Quote:
Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. (DA 753)

Note this speaks of Christ feeling the anguish the wicked will feel.

Quote:
In response to this, you wrote, “Regarding the GC 673 statements, this isn't all she wrote on the subject. She also wrote DA [764], and GC 541-543, and DA 107,108, to name three other places that speak to this. I've yet to see any explanation on your part that takes into account these other passages.”

Here’s what DA 764 says about it: “By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.”

Here’s what GC 541-543 says about it: “A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. . . It is in mercy to the universe that God will finally destroy the rejecters of His grace.”

Here’s what DA 107-108 says about it: “In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.”

Please note that she attributes their death to three different things – 1) His very presence, 2) the glory of God, and 3) the Spirit of God. Elsewhere she says, 4) “The glory of His countenance, which to the righteous is life, will be to the wicked a consuming fire.” (DA 600) The following passages provide an insight into the physical effect of being exposed to the light that God radiates:...

MM, this whole thing seems circular. You for some reason believe that when it speaks of the glory of the Lord destroying the wicked this is primarily a physical thing, in spite of the fact that she has specifically identified God's glory as being His character, and the context of DA 108 bears this out (she speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character in the sentence immediately following the statement that the light of His glory, which gives life to the righteous, slays the wicked.

Consider the following from DA 107, which you quoted:

Quote:
But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

You quoted this as giving insight to the light, as if this would show it's physical here, although the context elsewhere shows it's not. But it's not physical here either. The wicked are not zapped by Christ, like in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it is the revelation of His character which has led to their downfall. This can be seen in a couple of ways.

1.The following is from GC 37:

Quote:
Then shall they that obey not the gospel be consumed with the spirit of His mouth, and be destroyed with the brightness of His coming. Like Israel of old, the wicked destroy themselves; they fall by their iniquity. By a life of sin, they have placed themselves so out of harmony with God, their natures have become so debased with evil, that the manifestation of His glory is to them a consuming fire.

This brings out that the principles in DA 107 are the same as in GC 35-37! The wicked destroy themselves, and how they do so is explained by the principles in GC 35-37 (which quotes the same 2 Thes. passage DA 107 quotes).

2.GC 657 says the following:

Quote:
In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth,—priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low. "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried."
At the coming of Christ the wicked are blotted from the face of the whole earth,—consumed with the spirit of His mouth, and destroyed by the brightness of His glory. Christ takes His people to the city of God, and the earth is emptied of its inhabitants.

If they fall because of the mad strife of their passions, etc., then they don't fall because of physical light emanating from Christ.

However, if we understand this light to be the light of His glory, then everything fits together. Before the coming of Christ is to be a message of God's character:

Quote:
The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.(COL 415)

This is the brightness of His glory which destroys the wicked! Earlier we see that, as Jerusalem of old, they destroy themselves. What caused the destruction of Jerusalem of old? The same thing which will cause the destruction of the wicked at Christ's coming: the revelation of God's character. When the light of God's character is rejected, the wicked are left to their "mad strife" and the control of Satan; they destroy themselves.

So we see the same principles at work in GC 35-37 as at the Second Coming of Christ.

Quote:
Again, you wrote, "This doesn't have anything to do with DA 764, and does violence to the text of DA 107, 108 . . ." So, as you can see, what I wrote was consistent with the passages you referenced.

The consistency I see is the rejection of similar principles in each of the passages.

Quote:
Remember, we were talking about the effect of the light of God on the wicked during judgment at the end of time (not the effect Christ's presence on sinners while He was here in the flesh - "His very presence would make manifest to men their sin.") Ellen White speaks of something similar in the following passage: "As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed." {GC 666.2}

Again, these are all referencing the same principles.

Quote:
T: This is similar to your claim that God didn't use force of violence. You have a view of things which indicates you believe God did use force and violence, according to how the dictionary defines these words. Similarly if one considers the definition of the word "arbitrary," it exactly corresponds to what you are describing. But you don't like these words, so you reject them. But you keep the ideas the words are describing.

M:I realize this is how you view it. However, there are other ways to see it.

Clearly there are other ways to see this, since it is seen in other ways.

Quote:
BTW, why do you think it isn’t forceful or violent when God withdraws His protection and permits infants to be killed?

Why do you think I think this?

Quote:
You seem to think God is innocent of any culpability.

Since I've been saying all along that God is innocent of any culpability, I'm glad you at least recognize I "seem" to think this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118102
08/24/09 08:44 PM
08/24/09 08:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
That is, are you beginning to believe God will execute His retributive justice and judgment on sinners by withdrawing His protection and allowing them to experience the undiluted power of their accumulated guilt and shame, and that it is sin, not God, that will punish and destroy them in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness?

Please be careful, MM. I've not said that sin, not God, will "punish and destroy" sinners in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. I've pointed out, to you specifically, on a number of occasions that sin is not a sentient being. I would be more comfortable saying what the SOP says, which is that the wicked destroy themselves. True, it is because of sin that this happens, but to say that sin is punishing them, to my mind, makes it sound as if sin has a mind of its own. Those who reject God bring about their own suffering and death. They "destroy themselves." Or, to put it another way, God allows them to receive the results of their choice, to reap what they have sown, leaving them to perish, which is the inevitable result of sin.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118117
08/25/09 02:52 AM
08/25/09 02:52 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I don't understand your comment. Are you merely saying Tom is one of the "more and more sdas" you have come across who see the view of justice and judgment I have been presenting as a variation of eternal torment in hell?
yes.

but i dont mean to imply that it originated with you since you are not alone in this view.

it would appear the pioneers understood ellen whites statements in this regard differently than the "descendents" who no longer have her in person to converse with.

along the lines that my friends and children would know what my letters mean because they know and converse with me, but complete strangers would have to make assumptions many times about some point in them.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118141
08/25/09 05:53 PM
08/25/09 05:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Ellen White has said in at least one place, "God's people must give to the world a representation of the character of God in Jesus Christ. The Christian churches are fast losing their knowledge of God. His character has been misunderstood and misinterpreted."

How would one misinterpret, misrepresent His character?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #118159
08/25/09 09:00 PM
08/25/09 09:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: PS - Also, are you of the opinion God has never caused pain, that He merely withdraws His protection and allows pain to happen?

T: I think this wasn't addressed to me . . .

It was addressed to Teresa.

Quote:
T: . . . but I'd like to comment. The title of this thread is a bit misleading, it seems to me, or rather the question. The context of the discussion that led to this thread was whether or not God caused people to have excruciating pain as a means to get His way or to punish people. I never made any statement so general as to say that God never causes pain. For example, when the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, is there pain involved? One could certainly interpret things this way. To my mind, this would be like the Doctor who causes pain to his patient in order to heal him.

What about the "withdraw and permit" principle of punishment? Does God cause pain when He withdraws His protection and permits either nature or evil angels to cause death and destruction?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #118161
08/25/09 09:05 PM
08/25/09 09:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: I don't understand your comment. Are you merely saying Tom is one of the "more and more sdas" you have come across who see the view of justice and judgment I have been presenting as a variation of eternal torment in hell?

t: yes. but i dont mean to imply that it originated with you since you are not alone in this view. it would appear the pioneers understood ellen whites statements in this regard differently than the "descendents" who no longer have her in person to converse with.

along the lines that my friends and children would know what my letters mean because they know and converse with me, but complete strangers would have to make assumptions many times about some point in them.

I agree. However, I see no connection between what the pioneers believed Ellen White meant and eternal torment in hell.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: kland] #118162
08/25/09 09:11 PM
08/25/09 09:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Ellen White has said in at least one place, "God's people must give to the world a representation of the character of God in Jesus Christ. The Christian churches are fast losing their knowledge of God. His character has been misunderstood and misinterpreted." How would one misinterpret, misrepresent His character?

In light of the content of this thread, I submit the following:

But few realize the exceeding sinfulness of sin. Men flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the transgressor. But in the light of Bible history it is evident that God's goodness and His love engage Him to deal with sin as an evil fatal to the peace and happiness of the universe. {PP 420.2}

Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. They had committed the sin against the Holy Spirit, a sin by which man's heart is effectually hardened against the influence of divine grace. "Whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man," said Christ, "it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him." Matthew 12:32. These words were spoken by our Saviour when the gracious works which He had performed through the power of God were attributed by the Jews to Beelzebub. It is through the agency of the Holy Spirit that God communicates with man; and those who deliberately reject this agency as satanic, have cut off the channel of communication between the soul and Heaven. {PP 404.4}

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118164
08/25/09 09:17 PM
08/25/09 09:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Also, you didn’t answer my question. Did God direct them in violating His law by teaching them how to get divorced, to practice polygamy, and to slaughter their enemies in combat?

T: Is it against His law to do these things?

Tom, please answer my question. Otherwise I'll just keep asking it. TY

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!