HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,923 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elohiym #118174
08/25/09 11:31 PM
08/25/09 11:31 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
from: http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=118163
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
As you may already know, the original word for "God" in this passage is Elohim, which is the plural form of God. God is a Godhead. The following link talks about it:

Elohim
my brother, did you read that source carefully?

i agree with a bit of it, but i had to discard it as a source when i was doing research on "elohiym".

why?

Quote:
Elohim is a name which describes God, and his servants (God's) in Heaven

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118176
08/25/09 11:55 PM
08/25/09 11:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Moses wasn't sharing his personal opinion when he wrote, "The LORD our God is one LORD." As you may already know, the original word for "God" in this passage is Elohim, which is the plural form of God. God is a Godhead. The following link talks about it:

Elohim

Shema Yisrael --- Hear Israel
Adoni Eloheinu --- The Lord our God
(I guess youd rather have it "The Lord your Gods"?)
Adoni Ehad --- The Lord One

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

the original does not have "adon(a)i" (which, by the way, is also plural http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/Adonai/adonai.html).

the original is YHWH. the meaning is eternal, self-existent. adonai misses that important fact since it merely means lords, masters, owners.

one is echad=united

eternal, self-existent our Gods is united eternal, self-existent.

as for having multiple "Gods", those who know the trinity doctrine are not fooled by the adventist "interpretation". they still call us tritheists.

*******Link to other forum topic removed*******

Quote:
No, no, no. You're still not getting it (the orthodox, Christian understanding of the Trinity). The phrase "of one substance" does not mean that there are three persons who are all composed of the same type of substance.

Rather,
it means that God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)

IS only one substance--one spirit.

One single living Being.

A spirit Being.

And we do know what God's substance is, we don't have to speculate--Jesus tells us that God is "spirit."
now we seventh-day-adventists have a couple of choices.

we can take the heat and stand by the biblical definition.

or we can take on the complete trinity doctrine and be "at-one" with our non-sda brethern and sisters.

3 persons in 1 being. a spirit being that inhabits everything.

Last edited by Daryl F; 09/01/09 05:28 PM. Reason: Link to a not approved forum removed.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118177
08/26/09 12:55 AM
08/26/09 12:55 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

Where does the man Christ Jesus, Who will be forever man, fits into this conception?

Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118178
08/26/09 01:24 AM
08/26/09 01:24 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

The word elohim does not apply only to God. It is translated "goddess" in 1 Kings 11:33, "judges" in Exod. 21:6, and applied to pagan idols in Judges 16:23; 1 Kings 11:33.
It is generally acknowledged that it comes from a root meaning "power" or the "strong one".
The word translated "angels" in Psa. 103:20 is elohim. The Hebrew word elohim is also translated "angels" in Psalm 8:5. Since Paul quotes this passage in Hebrews 2:7, cf. vs. 9, and translates the word elohim by aggelous (angels), it can be inferred that the intended meaning of elohim in Psalm 8:5 is also "angels."

Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118181
08/26/09 02:26 AM
08/26/09 02:26 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

Where does the man Christ Jesus, Who will be forever man, fits into this conception?
i gave the site link for carm if you wish to ask that poster.

Quote:
The word translated "angels" in Psa. 103:20 is elohim.
what source would that be from?

from the king james: H4397 mal'ak
From an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy; a messenger; specifically of God, that is, an angel (also a prophet, priest or teacher): - ambassador, angel, king, messenger.

Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118190
08/26/09 02:57 PM
08/26/09 02:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, I don't have time for several forums. I just asked the question to show that their concept is inconsistent.

Quote:
Quote:
The word translated "angels" in Psa. 103:20 is elohim.
what source would that be from?
from the king james: H4397 mal'ak

I did a quick web search yesterday and this was in one of the articles I read, but I wouldn't be able to find it again. I didn't verify it at the moment, but you are right. The word used in this passage is malak and not elohim.

Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118213
08/26/09 08:57 PM
08/26/09 08:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Context is everything. One of the Hebrew words for "holy" (can't remember which one, possibly qadash [Strong's number 6942]), implies being totally dedicated to whatever, and has been used to describe a prostitute who has totally dedicated herself or himself to pagan worship rites.

Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118228
08/27/09 05:12 AM
08/27/09 05:12 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, I don't have time for several forums. I just asked the question to show that their concept is inconsistent.
how would that prove to her (i believe it was a she)that adventists are trinitarians?

i think we need to stress the God-man part. saying the "man" could lead to misconceptions.

we are told that everything that can be shaken will be shaken. asking her and knowing how she would respond might show where our understanding needs tuning. it isnt until we are challenged that we find out where "we dont know that we dont know".

Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118260
08/27/09 07:17 PM
08/27/09 07:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
how would that prove to her (i believe it was a she)that adventists are trinitarians?

It would show that the concept of trinitarism being advocated by many churches today not only is not in harmony with Nicea, but in fact is biblically false.
She said,

Quote:
The phrase "of one substance" does not mean that there are three persons who are all composed of the same type of substance.
Rather,
it means that God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)
IS only one substance--one spirit.
One single living Being.
A spirit Being.
And we do know what God's substance is, we don't have to speculate--Jesus tells us that God is "spirit."

First, "substance" refers to nature, and nature refers to God's attributes - all of them, while she is reducing it to "spirit."
Second, what does the word "spirit" mean? Does it mean the absence of a body?
She quotes from the Articles of Religion of the Methodist Church, highlights the phrase "without body or parts," and asks if this statement is unscriptural.
This is funny. If being a spirit means being without body or parts, since His incarnation Jesus is no longer a spirit, and Jesus is no longer God, and Jesus is no longer the second person of the Trinity.

Quote:
i think we need to stress the God-man part. saying the "man" could lead to misconceptions.

I was referring to 1 Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus." I think this is important, because it stresses the fact that Jesus is still a man, and will always be a man.

Quote:
we are told that everything that can be shaken will be shaken. asking her and knowing how she would respond might show where our understanding needs tuning. it isnt until we are challenged that we find out where "we dont know that we dont know".

Maybe, but I find the atmosphere at Carm somewhat hostile (at least this was the impression I got in the past). Perhaps she could be invited to discuss it here.

Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118262
08/27/09 07:53 PM
08/27/09 07:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Maybe, but I find the atmosphere at Carm somewhat hostile

That's an understatement.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118275
08/27/09 09:28 PM
08/27/09 09:28 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:

It would show that the concept of trinitarism being advocated by many churches today not only is not in harmony with Nicea,...
laugh forgive me but you dont get it.

trinitarians make no claim to having stopped at nicea. and it is the exact same concept that was taught in the pioneers day, nothing new about it at all.

trinitarians, and rightly so, are just laughing at adventists who think they can adopt a word used by others to mean one thing and try to make it mean something else and then try to tell others what that "really means".

they arent buying it. period. only adventists are.

i dont mean to be pushing you into a discussion with her, just making the point that over here it is merely propaganda.

Re: Elohiym [Re: teresaq] #118282
08/27/09 10:18 PM
08/27/09 10:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
trinitarians make no claim to having stopped at nicea.

But I think they make no claim to be in disagreement with it either (which they are).

Quote:
and it is the exact same concept that was taught in the pioneers day, nothing new about it at all.

Sure. It has been taught for centuries.

Quote:
trinitarians, and rightly so, are just laughing at adventists who think they can adopt a word used by others to mean one thing and try to make it mean something else and then try to tell others what that "really means".

They are laughable, for they borrow a word from Nicea and give their own meaning to it.

Re: Elohiym [Re: Rosangela] #118319
08/28/09 07:10 PM
08/28/09 07:10 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i strongly suggest that we stop relying on such as jerry moon and company for our information and start studying this issue out for ourself. in the very near future trusting in the "arm of man" is going to come back and bite us very, very, very, hard.

but it is just a suggestion. smile

Quote:

The word elohim does not apply only to God. It is
1. translated "goddess" in 1 Kings 11:33,
2. "judges" in Exod. 21:6,
3. and applied to pagan idols in Judges 16:23; 1 Kings 11:33.
It is generally acknowledged that it comes from a root meaning "power" or the "strong one".
4. The word translated "angels" in Psa. 103:20 is elohim.
5. The Hebrew word elohim is also translated "angels" in Psalm 8:5. Since Paul quotes this passage in Hebrews 2:7, cf. vs. 9, and translates the word elohim by aggelous (angels), it can be inferred that the intended meaning of elohim in Psalm 8:5 is also "angels."
i edited your post by numbering the points to make it easier to address.

points 1 and 3 are in keeping with the use of "elohiym".
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
etc.,

point 2 would appear to mean that the judges were appointed as in the place of God as moses was to aaron.
Exo 4:15 And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do.
Exo 4:16 And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.

both instances appear to be only used by God Himself in giving the instructions to the israelites. it would seem God was stressing the importance of representing Him accurately in all their dealings with their fellowmen.

point 4 has already been dealt with and acknowledged as invalid.

point 5. ellen white states someplace that we were created to take the place of the fallen angels. but i think the ot has a reason for using elohiym here, we were created in the image of God, as accurately translated by other bible translations, whereas paul is stressing that Jesus was incarnated even lower than angels.

so, for me, the liberty that site takes seems very wrong to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!