HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118138
08/25/09 05:17 PM
08/25/09 05:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
t: you believe that God commands unholy men to cause death and destruction?

M: Yes. "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}

T: Do you mean like puppets? That is, God uses His enemies like puppets? I read statements like the one you quoted and understand them to mean that God uses the things which these people do to further His means. For example, here's a statement that brings out the same purpose:

M: No, not like puppets. God works through the influence of His Holy Spirit to plant ideas and to motivate people to act them out.
t: God plants ideas in people to do evil? or, as long as God planted the idea it is not evil?

"God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}
that was an answer to the part in blue? i mean that is how you interpret the messenger of the Lords statement?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118139
08/25/09 05:26 PM
08/25/09 05:26 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
t: do you reject the possiblity of campbell being correct?

M: No. I think it is clear that God would have driven the Canaanites out of the Promised Land had the COI been faithful and obedient. However, I do not believe God compromised with sin when He directed the COI in their desire to slaughter the inhabitants of Canaan. IOW, I do not believe it was a sin to conqueror Canaan militarily. I don't know what you believe about it.

t: i believe slavery and multiple wives, etc., are a heinous sin in the sight of God.

M: Why, then, do you think God directed the COI in the practice of such heinous sins as slavery, polygamy, etc?

t: again im just trying to understand your understanding.... do you see divorce and slavery as heinous sins in the sight of God?

M: I believe God gave Moses "judgments and laws" directing them in how to practice divorce and polygamy. Yes, there is an unlawful way to practice divorce and polygamy, and the laws of God forbid it. It is a heinous sin in the sight of God. Do you think it was a heinous sin in the sight of God when the COI practiced divorce and polygamy in accordance with the laws of God? I don't.

t: lets see if im understanding you here. as long as the israelites heeded the laws concerning slavery and divorce, etc., slavery and divorce were no longer heinous sins to God?

It is never a heinous sin to live in harmony with the laws of God.
im very confused by your answers, they seem to be saying that God does not consider slavery, divorce, and such as heinous sins. or as long as God limits what can be done they are not sins in His sight. is that what you are saying?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118143
08/25/09 06:16 PM
08/25/09 06:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Do you mean like puppets? That is, God uses His enemies like puppets? I read statements like the one you quoted and understand them to mean that God uses the things which these people do to further His means. For example, here's a statement that brings out the same purpose:

M: No, not like puppets. God works through the influence of His Holy Spirit to plant ideas and to motivate people to act them out.

T: I'm not following you. Let's take the Jews as in idea. Are you saying that God planted the idea in the Romans to kill the Jews?

Do you think God used the Romans “as instruments to punish” and the Jews? I do. I think God used the power of influence to direct the Romans. I also think that He worked hard to ensure things played out according to His will, that things didn’t get out of hand and play out differently than He purposed.

Quote:
M: You seem to think God uses the evil deeds of His enemies as "instruments" to punish sinners. Whereas I believe she is saying God uses "His enemies as instruments to punish" sinners.

T: You just quoted what she said. Of course I believe God uses "His enemies as instruments to punish" sinners. What good does just quoting her do? What does she mean in saying this? That's the question!

I believe what she means is that God uses the results of those who choose to act against Him to further His purposes. So even though they do what they of their own free will choose to do, they further God's purposes.

I'm not seeing the different between "puppet" and "instrument" in your view. You say it's not like a puppet. How is it not like a puppet? Is there a chance the person whom God is using, in your view, might not do what God wants? In other words, that the instrument, or puppet, might say no?

It's sounds like a puppet to me. God pulls the strings by planting thoughts in their heads. That sounds like what you're saying. How is this wrong? (i.e., how is my representation of your thought wrong)

I don't see how the quotes you presented have to do with the subject we're discussing. Enemies of God do not present themselves to Him to do His will. For example:

Quote:
While we yield ourselves as instruments for the Holy Spirit's working, the grace of God works in us to deny old inclinations, to overcome powerful propensities, and to form new habits. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, quickens all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God, develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. {AG 194.4}

What does this have to do with God's using His enemies?

Tom, I cited several examples of how Ellen White used the term “instrument”. As you can see, it is reasonable to conclude she uses it to explain how God uses the power of influence to motivate people to act out His will and desire. “God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}

You interpret her statement to mean God uses the evil deeds of His enemies as instruments to punish sinners. Whereas I believe it means God uses "His enemies” as instruments to punish sinners. Please note that she doesn’t say God uses the evil deeds of His enemies. Instead, she plainly says God uses "His enemies" as instruments to punish sinners. I agree with the idea that God can use the evil deeds of His enemies to accomplish His purposes. It’s just that I also believe He can use "His enemies" to accomplish His purposes.

Quote:
T: MM, I don't understand why you keep asking this question. It's been answered dozens of times, by many people on this forum, in the same way, by quoting what Jesus said: "He said to them, Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives. (Matt. 19:8)

M: Yes, Jesus said the law of Moses permits divorce because their hearts are hard. But it doesn't answer my questions. And I don't know why you think it does. Did Jesus direct the COI in the practice of heinous sins?

T: Do you think divorce, polygamy, etc. were God's will? Do you think it's possible for God to direct people in things that are not His will? I do. I think we have many examples of this in Scripture.

Yes, I believe God has directed people in practices that were contrary to His ideal will. However, you still haven’t answered my question. Do you think in so doing that God was also directing them in the practice of sinful behavior?

Quote:
T: Regarding your question to me regarding what Campbell wrote, it seems to me that what she wrote directly applies, and I don't know how to explain it more clearly than she did.

M: You're right, she clearly explains her point of view. There is no need for you to clarify it. However, her point of view does not address my questions. BTW, I agree with her that God set aside His ideal will in order to direct the COI in their desire to employ weapons of war to slaughter the Canaanites and to occupy their land. What she didn't say was whether or not it was a sin to militarily dispossess the Canaanites. You have also not answered this question. I have no idea what you believe about it.

T: Is something which is not God's ideal will a sin?

Not if God directs them. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: Tom, are you one of those who think "these commands seem to be contrary to the spirit of love and mercy enjoined in other portions of the Bible"? Do you have a hard time thinking "they were in truth the dictates of infinite wisdom and goodness"?

T: I agree with what you wrote earlier when you said that God set aside His ideal will in order to direct the COI in their desire to employ weapons of war to slaughter the Canaanites and to occupy their land. Regarding your question about God's wisdom, no, I don't have a hard time thinking that God did what was best. I have a great respect for God's decision-making abilities.

Are you saying you are not one of those who think "these commands seem to be contrary to the spirit of love and mercy enjoined in other portions of the Bible"? Are you suggesting it makes perfect sense that such commands are “in truth the dictates of infinite wisdom and goodness"? Ellen White describes it this way:

Quote:
It was to be impressed upon Israel that in the conquest of Canaan they were not to fight for themselves, but simply as instruments to execute the will of God; not to seek for riches or self-exaltation, but the glory of Jehovah their King. {PP 491.2} All the inhabitants of the city, with every living thing that it contained, "both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass," were put to the sword. {PP 491.3}

The utter destruction of the people of Jericho was but a fulfillment of the commands previously given through Moses concerning the inhabitants of Canaan: "Thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them." Deuteronomy 7:2. "Of the cities of these people, . . . thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth." Deuteronomy 20:16. To many these commands seem to be contrary to the spirit of love and mercy enjoined in other portions of the Bible, but they were in truth the dictates of infinite wisdom and goodness. {PP 492.1}

When Jericho fell, no human hand touched the walls of the city, for the angels of the Lord overthrew the fortifications, and entered the fortress of the enemy. It was not Israel, but the Captain of the Lord's host that took Jericho. But Israel had their part to act to show their faith in the Captain of their salvation. {CC 117.3} The walls of Jericho came down as a result of obeying orders. {CC 118.5}

Christ commanded the armies of Heaven to throw down the walls of Jericho, and prepare an entrance for Joshua and the armies of Israel. God, in this wonderful miracle, not only strengthened the faith of his people in his power to subdue their enemies, but rebuked their former unbelief. {4aSG 64.1}

Jesus the Son of God, followed by heavenly angels, went before the ark as it came to Jordan, and the waters were cut off before his presence. Christ and angels stood by the ark and the priests in the bed of the river until all Israel had passed over Jordan. Christ and angels attended the circuit of the ark around Jericho, and finally cast down the massive walls of the city, and delivered Jericho into the hands of Israel. {4aSG 102.3}

The quotes above make it clear that Jesus and His holy angels torn down the walls of Jericho so that Joshua and his soldiers, acting "as His instruments to punish" sinners, could utterly destroy its inhabitants. That is, Jesus used Joshua and his soldiers like a slaughtering weapon to cut down His enemies. Do you agree?

PS - The following quote beautifully explains how God uses the power of influence to accomplish His purposes (this principle acts like a two-edged sword, it cuts both ways):

Angelic agencies, though invisible, are cooperating with visible human agencies, forming a relief association with men. Is there not something stimulating and inspiring in this thought that the human agent stands as the visible instrument to confer the blessings of angelic agencies? As we are thus laborers together with God, the work bears the inscription of the divine. With what joy and delight all heaven looks upon these blended influences, influences which are acknowledged in the heavenly courts! Human agencies are the hands of heavenly instrumentalities, for heavenly angels employ human hands in practical ministry. Their acts of unselfish ministry make them partakers in the success which is a result of the relief offered. This is Heaven's way of administering saving power. The knowledge and actions of the heavenly order of workers, united with the knowledge and power which are imparted to human agencies, relieve the oppressed and distressed. {ML 305.2}

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #118144
08/25/09 06:21 PM
08/25/09 06:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
t: do you reject the possiblity of campbell being correct?

M: No. I think it is clear that God would have driven the Canaanites out of the Promised Land had the COI been faithful and obedient. However, I do not believe God compromised with sin when He directed the COI in their desire to slaughter the inhabitants of Canaan. IOW, I do not believe it was a sin to conqueror Canaan militarily. I don't know what you believe about it.

t: i believe slavery and multiple wives, etc., are a heinous sin in the sight of God.

M: Why, then, do you think God directed the COI in the practice of such heinous sins as slavery, polygamy, etc?

t: again im just trying to understand your understanding.... do you see divorce and slavery as heinous sins in the sight of God?

M: I believe God gave Moses "judgments and laws" directing them in how to practice divorce and polygamy. Yes, there is an unlawful way to practice divorce and polygamy, and the laws of God forbid it. It is a heinous sin in the sight of God. Do you think it was a heinous sin in the sight of God when the COI practiced divorce and polygamy in accordance with the laws of God? I don't.

t: lets see if im understanding you here. as long as the israelites heeded the laws concerning slavery and divorce, etc., slavery and divorce were no longer heinous sins to God?

M: It is never a heinous sin to live in harmony with the laws of God. Do you agree?

t: im very confused by your answers, they seem to be saying that God does not consider slavery, divorce, and such as heinous sins. or as long as God limits what can be done they are not sins in His sight. is that what you are saying?

I'm still waiting for you to answer my question. As soon as you do, I will be more than happy to answer your question.

HINT: If you look closely you'll see my answer near the question I underlined above. Now, I hope you will answer my question.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #118145
08/25/09 06:24 PM
08/25/09 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
t: you believe that God commands unholy men to cause death and destruction?

M: Yes. "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}

t: God plants ideas in people to do evil? or, as long as God planted the idea it is not evil?

M: "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}

t: that was an answer to the part in blue? i mean that is how you interpret the messenger of the Lords statement?

My last post to Tom above addresses this question.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118146
08/25/09 06:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - The current discussion speaks to the question that serves as title for this thread in that the "judgments and laws" that God commanded the COI to obey included utterly destroying the inhabitants of the Promised Land.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118147
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

Mike, if divorce and polygamy aren't sins, neither are slavery and private vengeance. These and other sins were temporarily tolerated by God, but they are condemned by the law of God, and God designed to gradually lead His people to that understanding. Meanwhile, God made provisions in the civil laws that He gave to Israel, in order to lessen or minimize the evils caused by these ancient customs.

"This merciful provision [the cities for refuge] was rendered necessary by the ancient custom of private vengeance, by which the punishment of the murderer devolved on the nearest relative or the next heir of the deceased. In cases where guilt was clearly evident it was not necessary to wait for a trial by the magistrates. The avenger might pursue the criminal anywhere and put him to death wherever he should be found. The Lord did not see fit to abolish this custom at that time, but He made provision to ensure the safety of those who should take life unintentionally." {PP 515.2}

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Rosangela] #118188
08/26/09 02:39 PM
08/26/09 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying God directed the COI, through "judgments and laws" which "were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified", in the practice of heinous sins?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118207
08/26/09 07:11 PM
08/26/09 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I'm not following you. Let's take the Jews as in idea. Are you saying that God planted the idea in the Romans to kill the Jews?

M:Do you think God used the Romans “as instruments to punish” and the Jews? I do.

I think He did in the manner I explained.

Quote:
I think God used the power of influence to direct the Romans.

You're saying God influenced the Romans to kill the Jews?

Quote:
I also think that He worked hard to ensure things played out according to His will, that things didn’t get out of hand and play out differently than He purposed.

Get out of hand? Have you read the account?

Quote:
"The slaughter within was even more dreadful than the spectacle from without. Men and women, old and young, insurgents and priests, those who fought and those who entreated mercy, were hewn down in indiscriminate carnage. The number of the slain exceeded that of the slayers. The legionaries had to clamber over heaps of dead to carry on the work of extermination."--Milman, The History of the Jews, book 16. (GC 35)

Out of hand?

Quote:
Terrible were the calamities that fell upon Jerusalem when the siege was resumed by Titus. The city was invested at the time of the Passover, when millions of Jews were assembled within its walls. Their stores of provision, which if carefully preserved would have supplied the inhabitants for years, had previously been destroyed through the jealousy and revenge of the contending factions, and now all the horrors of starvation were experienced. A measure of wheat was sold for a talent. So fierce were the pangs of hunger that men would gnaw the leather of their belts and sandals and the covering of their shields. Great numbers of the people would steal out at night to gather wild plants growing outside the city walls, though many were seized and put to death with cruel torture, and often those who returned in safety were robbed of what they had gleaned at so great peril. The most inhuman tortures were inflicted by those in power, to force from the want-stricken people the last scanty supplies which they might have concealed. And these cruelties were not infrequently practiced by men who were themselves well fed, and who were merely desirous of laying up a store of provision for the future.

Thousands perished from famine and pestilence. Natural affection seemed to have been destroyed. Husbands robbed their wives, and wives their husbands. Children would be seen snatching the food from the mouths of their aged parents....

The Roman leaders endeavored to strike terror to the Jews and thus cause them to surrender. Those prisoners who resisted when taken, were scourged, tortured, and crucified before the wall of the city. Hundreds were daily put to death in this manner, and the dreadful work continued until, along the Valley of Jehoshaphat and at Calvary, crosses were erected in so great numbers that there was scarcely room to move among them. (GC 31,32)

You're saying that God acted in such a way to make sure that this happened? Just like this? No less and no more?

Quote:
Tom, I cited several examples of how Ellen White used the term “instrument”. As you can see, it is reasonable to conclude she uses it to explain how God uses the power of influence to motivate people to act out His will and desire. “God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored. {LDE 242.3}

You interpret her statement to mean God uses the evil deeds of His enemies as instruments to punish sinners. Whereas I believe it means God uses "His enemies” as instruments to punish sinners. Please note that she doesn’t say God uses the evil deeds of His enemies.

But this is what she meant, which is the important thing. This is clear simply by reading her writings as a whole. She simply doesn't have the concept of God's character which would be required to have intended for things to be understood as your interpreting them.

We're talking about the destruction of Jerusalem here. She has dozens of statements to explain her meaning in regards to this event.

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters ...In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ... The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 35, 36)

Quote:
Instead, she plainly says God uses "His enemies" as instruments to punish sinners. I agree with the idea that God can use the evil deeds of His enemies to accomplish His purposes. It’s just that I also believe He can use "His enemies" to accomplish His purposes.

MM, I don't understand how you can read her description of what happened and come to the conclusions you have. She could not have said more clearly that the punishment which befell the Jews came about as a result of their causing the Spirit of God to be withdrawn from them, leaving them defenseless. There is no indication that God inspired the Romans to do these cruel things. Cruelty is Satanic.

Quote:
Thus the arch-fiend clothes with his own attributes the Creator and Benefactor of mankind. Cruelty is Satanic. God is love; and all that he created was pure, holy, and lovely, until sin was brought in by the first great rebel. Satan himself is the enemy who tempts man to sin, and then destroys him if he can; and when he has made sure of his victim, then he exults in the ruin he has wrought. If permitted, he would sweep the entire race into his net. Were it not for the interposition of divine power, not one son or daughter of Adam would escape.(GC 534)

God would hardly influence anyone to act in a Satanic fashion.

Quote:
T: Do you think divorce, polygamy, etc. were God's will? Do you think it's possible for God to direct people in things that are not His will? I do. I think we have many examples of this in Scripture.

M:Yes, I believe God has directed people in practices that were contrary to His ideal will. However, you still haven’t answered my question. Do you think in so doing that God was also directing them in the practice of sinful behavior?

Do you think that practices that are contrary to God's ideal will can be, or should be, characterized as sinful practices? Let's consider one in particular: polygamy. Do you believe that polygamy is contrary to the law of God?

Quote:
T: Is something which is not God's ideal will a sin?

M:Not if God directs them. Do you agree?

I don't think so, if I'm understanding you correctly. Let's consider some act, say X. If X is a sin, it's a sin because it's contrary to the moral law. The fact that God directs the people in X doesn't make X not a sin.

I think your reasoning is that if God directs them in some activity, it can't be a sin. But if we look at the things God gave the Israelites counsel regarding, this includes things like polygamy, which we know is contrary to the moral law, and thus a sin.

Quote:
M: Tom, are you one of those who think "these commands seem to be contrary to the spirit of love and mercy enjoined in other portions of the Bible"? Do you have a hard time thinking "they were in truth the dictates of infinite wisdom and goodness"?

T: I agree with what you wrote earlier when you said that God set aside His ideal will in order to direct the COI in their desire to employ weapons of war to slaughter the Canaanites and to occupy their land. Regarding your question about God's wisdom, no, I don't have a hard time thinking that God did what was best. I have a great respect for God's decision-making abilities.

M:Are you saying you are not one of those who think "these commands seem to be contrary to the spirit of love and mercy enjoined in other portions of the Bible"? Are you suggesting it makes perfect sense that such commands are “in truth the dictates of infinite wisdom and goodness"?

I think I answered your question.

Quote:
The Canaanites had filled up the measure of their iniquity, and the Lord would no longer bear with them. His defense being removed from them, they would fall an easy prey to the Hebrews.(4T 151)

Quote:
The Lord had never commanded them to "go up and fight." It was not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare, but by strict obedience to His commands.(PP 392)

God was defending the Canaanites. He was their defense. When forced to withdraw, they were defenseless against the Hebrews, but it was not God's will that they gain the land by warfare.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #118209
08/26/09 07:24 PM
08/26/09 07:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying God directed the COI, through "judgments and laws" which "were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified", in the practice of heinous sins?

No, I'm saying that God gave in the civil laws rules about slavery, divorce, polygamy and private vengeance, in order to lessen or minimize the evils caused by these ancient customs.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!