HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 85 of 91 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118249
08/27/09 05:17 PM
08/27/09 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Mike,

I don't believe it is possible to create a hard link to a specific document in the White Estate's database. This seems to be a function of the particular script they are using to access their database. However, I believe the quote you refer to can be found here:

God's Protective Power Removed From Those Who Refuse His Warnings.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I have to click the link I posted once, wait a second, and then click it again and then it opens the document on the White Estate. Does it work that way for you on your computer?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118271
08/27/09 08:56 PM
08/27/09 08:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:You wrote, “The way you perceive God as acting is that He escalated the use of His power until Pharaoh gave in.” What did I say above that gives you this impression?

You've written a lot on this subject. Based on what you've said, this is my impression of what you believe. If this is inaccurate, please let me know how.

Quote:
T: You said you believe God accomplished everything He set out to do. That's not true. God's primary purpose was the salvation of the Egyptians.

M:Not according to Ellen White. At this time in history Egypt was beyond hope, beyond saving. God’s primary purpose is articulated in my comments above.

She didn't say it wasn't God's purpose to save Egypt. I'm pointing this out to you, because without seeing this, you're missing the whole context of what was happening in Egypt. God had been working for centuries for Egypt. He sent Joseph to Egypt, and for a time Egypt flourished. But then arose a Pharaoh who "knew not Joseph," who wanted cheap labor, and made slaves out of the Hebrews, losing the blessing they had had through Joseph's influence. While working to free the Hebrews, God was bringing light to the Egyptians for the purpose of saving them.

Quote:
M: Who or what is managing the forces of nature when God withdraws His protection?

T: God manages nature, if that's what you're asking.

M: In what sense do you think God managed the forces of nature in the out pouring of plagues on Egypt?

T: God was caused to remove His protection. In mercy, God limited the damage to specific areas, the things indicated by the rod.

M:You didn’t answer my question.

Yes I did. It's right above your comment here that says, "You didn't answer my question."

Quote:
M:You seem to implying God stopped managing the forces of nature and permitted someone or something else to do it. Is that what you think?

No.

Quote:
M:How about actually answering my questions in a way that leaves no doubt as to what you think or believe?

When you ask reasonable questions, I'll give reasonable answers, which I have. I've written things out in detail, in this very post. If you twist what I've said around so much I can't easily disentangle it, I either have to spend a lot of time trying to do so, or, otherwise, give a terse answer.

Quote:
You are usually vague if not unresponsive.

That's not fair. I've written things out in great detail. You ask me questions over and over again that indicate you're not paying attention to what I've written.

Quote:
After all this time I still have no idea what you think or believe about it. Right now all I know is that you believe when God stops managing the forces of nature bad things happen.

That's been my main point. I've glad that's come across.

Quote:
You do not believe the laws of nature take over and manage the forces of nature to cause bad things to happen.

This is inane. Of course I don't believe this. No one could.

Quote:
So, who or what takes over managing the forces of nature when God stops doing it?

I've not said God stops managing the forces of nature.

Quote:
What causes nature to behave destructively?

As I've said quite a number of times, because of sin, nature does not function as originally designed.

Quote:
M: Also, what do you mean by saying you don’t believe “God places every molecule where He wants it”?

T: I mean that it is not the case that the location of every molecule is determined by God.

M:Who or what, then, determines where molecules are located and how they will behave when nature is being destructive?

Many things/beings are involved. I think you should recognize this is a very complicated question, MM, and doesn't lend itself well to a short answer.

Quote:
M: You seem to be saying the angels named above caused the death and destruction described above by withdrawing their protection and allowing evil angels to do it. Am I hearing you correctly?

T: You're lumping a bunch of different cases together, so to answer I'll state that I believe the principles laid out in GC 35-37 apply to all these cases. Simply put, the wicked cause God's protection to be removed from them, and He allows them to receive the results of their choice.

M: All of the cases above have the same thing in common, namely, holy angels caused death and destruction. Yes, God commands holy angels to cause death and destruction because sinners force it.

T: IMO, you are misunderstanding what's happening. Satan is the one who causes death and destruction, not God.

(quotes omitted) This last one is particular interesting.

1. Satan is the destroyer.
2. He is constrained to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work.
3. We see all sorts of calamities, because the Lord is not exercising His restraining power.
4. The Noachic world is mentioned in this context (of calamities which come about due to the Lord's not exercising His restraining power).

(quote omitted) This suggests that God does not smite, by the wording. Justice smites, which God permits, although it grieves Him to do so.

(quote omitted) This says that plagues come when God does not prevent them, which implies that God is not causing them, because it doesn't make sense to say that the plagues happen because God does not prevent Himself from causing them.

M:You wrote, “Justice smites”. This is the closest you’ve come to answering my question. Thank you. So, “justice” is the “who or what” that takes over when God stops managing the forces of nature. To be clear, are you saying “justice” manipulates the laws and forces of nature to cause death and destruction when God gives it permission?

MM, there's nothing in this chain of question and response that's dealing with the managing of the forces of nature. My point in quoting the "justice smites" quote is that the wording indicates that it's not something God is causing.

I think you've got confused here as to the subject matter. I was explaining the following:

Quote:
T: IMO, you are misunderstanding what's happening. Satan is the one who causes death and destruction, not God.

You didn't respond to any of the points I made (or even notice them, apparently).

Quote:
M: But, what do you mean by “He allows them to receive the results of their choice”?

T: I mean they have chosen to resist the Spirit of God, and have caused Him to withdraw, as GC 35 says. Having withdrawn, they reap the results of their choice.

M:To be clear, are you saying reaping the results of their choices means God stops managing the forces of nature and gives “justice” permission to manipulate them to cause death and destruction?

No. It doesn't appear to me you read what I wrote, or, at least, you were reading through quickly if you did. I'd invite you to reread what I wrote more carefully. IMO, your question here makes no sense whatever. You're asking me if I'm saying something which would be absurd. The concept of giving justice permission to manipulate is nonsense. I haven't suggested anything like this.

Quote:
M:Does this answer your question? If not, why not?

You didn't even quote enough of what I said to address this. Let's try from scratch. The way you describe things, it appears to me that your understanding is that God used force and violence to get his way. The only way to deny this, it appears to me, would be for you to say that what happened was not violence. Is this your contention?

Quote:
BTW, you didn’t address the following question and comment (from my comments above):

1. Do you have a problem with believing God employed [or permitted] the plagues, His miraculous works, to "compel" and "punish" Egypt?

As you envision things, yes. As I see things, no. If you ask how I see things, I believe that God was trying to free the Hebrews, and save Egypt while doing so. God gave light to the Egyptians. Pharaoh resisted the Spirit of God, which is how he hardened his heart, and God permitted disasters to occur in the areas indicated by the rod.

Quote:
2. You seem to be saying "his miraculous works" are in reality the works of nature or evil angels. Are you?

No.

Quote:
M: Ellen White explains the reasons why God employed the plagues in Egypt. I agree with her.

T: But I didn't ask this. What I asked, and am still asking, is why you think the criticism that God used force and violence to get His way is unjust. Is it because the things which happened were not violent? Or is there some other reason?

M:Do you think the explanation Ellen White provided (see my comment above) describes God using force or violence or even permitted force or violence?

Since I asked you first, I'll await your answer.

Quote:
I don’t think God used force or violence because I believe what Ellen White said about it, namely, that God punished Egypt. Punishment is not force or violence.

So you're saying that killing the firstborns was not violent?

Quote:
It is “infinite justice” or “retributive justice”.

Elsewhere she wrote:

God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. {GC 541.2}

It looks to me that you perceive God to act with violence and force to achieve His purposes. This is how you interpret Scripture and the SOP. You see God undertaking actions which are out of character with what Jesus Christ revealed God's character to be, as I see things.

Quote:
M: Jerusalem was ransacked and many people killed because the Jews defied the Roman army. If the Jews had complied with the terms and condition of peace, the Roman army would have spared the city, the temple, and their lives. The Jews were working under the false assumption that God would fulfill the restoration promises if they rebelled against Rome. In this sense it didn’t have anything to do with rejecting Jesus or the apostles.

T: The SOP claims it was a direct result of the cross.

M:Do you agree with what I wrote above?

I disagree with your conclusion ("In this sense ...")

Quote:
Also, where did she say what you’re saying?

I quoted it to you previously. I don't know off the top of my head. Actually I think you quoted it to me first. Maybe DA 600. (just a guess)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118287
08/27/09 11:27 PM
08/27/09 11:27 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I have to click the link I posted once, wait a second, and then click it again and then it opens the document on the White Estate. Does it work that way for you on your computer?

Mike, on my computer the link goes to White Estate with the first click. However, it opens up the search page, and not the document you referenced. So I would have to perform the search myself in order to get to the document. I have not found a way to link directly to documents like this on the White Estate's website. I have tried it before to no avail. If you are able to get it to work, I'm curious how you did it. From a technical perspective, the URL you provided cannot possibly retrieve the document, because there is no identification of a document within the URL (unless, of course, the White Estate had set that particular document to the "default" page).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #118293
08/28/09 05:24 AM
08/28/09 05:24 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Who wrote this?
one of the pioneers. they werent real worried about being known for what they wrote. in other words there is no byline, just the identifiers at the end of each paragraph.

so, whoever jwe is. i suppose my cd has a list somewhere of the initials.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118313
08/28/09 04:31 PM
08/28/09 04:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Mike, on my computer the link goes to White Estate with the first click. However, it opens up the search page, and not the document you referenced. So I would have to perform the search myself in order to get to the document. I have not found a way to link directly to documents like this on the White Estate's website. I have tried it before to no avail. If you are able to get it to work, I'm curious how you did it. From a technical perspective, the URL you provided cannot possibly retrieve the document, because there is no identification of a document within the URL (unless, of course, the White Estate had set that particular document to the "default" page).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

It worked yesterday on my computer, but you're right, it doesn't work today. Must have been in a cache or something and went away after I logged off. So, yeah, thank you for posting the other link.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118316
08/28/09 05:55 PM
08/28/09 05:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
this is noteworthy wording. why did she stress that she was shown? why not just say, the judgments......?

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. [SEE ALSO THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, P. 614, WHERE ELLEN WHITE STATES, "A SINGLE ANGEL DESTROYED ALL THE FIRST-BORN OF THE EGYPTIANS AND FILLED THE LAND WITH MOURNING. WHEN DAVID OFFENDED AGAINST GOD BY NUMBERING THE PEOPLE, ONE ANGEL CAUSED THAT TERRIBLE DESTRUCTION BY WHICH HIS SIN WAS PUNISHED. THE SAME DESTRUCTIVE POWER EXERCISED BY HOLY ANGELS WHEN GOD COMMANDS, WILL BE EXERCISED BY EVIL ANGELS WHEN HE PERMITS."] It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118325
08/28/09 08:48 PM
08/28/09 08:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You wrote, “The way you perceive God as acting is that He escalated the use of His power until Pharaoh gave in.” What did I say above that gives you this impression?

T: You've written a lot on this subject. Based on what you've said, this is my impression of what you believe. If this is inaccurate, please let me know how.

God plagued and punished Egypt to compel them to acknowledge His power, authority, and superiority over other gods. He also did it for the other reasons named above. From God’s perspective it was never a question of whether or not He would be able to relocate the COI to the Promised Land. He could have accomplished His purpose in other ways. However, He did it the way He did for the reasons already mentioned. I wouldn’t say He escalated things to achieve His goals. Instead, I would simply say He did what He did knowing it achieve His goals.

As you know, I believe God has known from eternity what it would take to achieve His goals. He didn’t make it up on the run. You seem to think I believe God tried one thing hoping it would work and when it didn’t He upped the ante, each time hoping it would finally persuade Pharaoh to comply. Remember, God was dependent on Pharaoh to accomplish His purpose. He didn’t need Pharaoh’s permission. Again, God did what He did to achieve His goals.

Quote:
T: You said you believe God accomplished everything He set out to do. That's not true. God's primary purpose was the salvation of the Egyptians.

M: Not according to Ellen White. At this time in history Egypt was beyond hope, beyond saving. God’s primary purpose is articulated in my comments above.

T: She didn't say it wasn't God's purpose to save Egypt. I'm pointing this out to you, because without seeing this, you're missing the whole context of what was happening in Egypt. God had been working for centuries for Egypt. He sent Joseph to Egypt, and for a time Egypt flourished. But then arose a Pharaoh who "knew not Joseph," who wanted cheap labor, and made slaves out of the Hebrews, losing the blessing they had had through Joseph's influence. While working to free the Hebrews, God was bringing light to the Egyptians for the purpose of saving them.

Again, she said God punished Egypt because they were beyond saving, their cup of iniquity was full. It is similar to the history of the Amorites. Ellen White describes it this way:

Quote:
When Abraham was shown in vision that his seed, the children of Israel, should be strangers in a strange land four hundred years, the Lord gave him the promise, "In the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full." Genesis 15:16. Although the Amorites were idolaters, whose life was justly forfeited by their great wickedness, God spared them four hundred years to give them unmistakable evidence that He was the only true God, the Maker of heaven and earth. All His wonders in bringing Israel from Egypt were known to them. Sufficient evidence was given; they might have known the truth, had they been willing to turn from their idolatry and licentiousness. But they rejected the light and clung to their idols. {PP 434.2} When the Amorite king refused this courteous solicitation, and defiantly gathered his hosts for battle, their cup of iniquity was full, and God would now exercise His power for their overthrow. {PP 434.3}

The principle described above applied to Egypt. Her cup of woe and wrath was full. Her probation of mercy and grace was ended. The time for retributive justice and judgment had come.

Quote:
M: Who or what is managing the forces of nature when God withdraws His protection?

T: God manages nature, if that's what you're asking.

M: In what sense do you think God managed the forces of nature in the out pouring of plagues on Egypt?

T: God was caused to remove His protection. In mercy, God limited the damage to specific areas, the things indicated by the rod.

M: You didn’t answer my question.

T: Yes I did. It's right above your comment here that says, "You didn't answer my question."

The fact God withdrew His protection and enforced His established limits does not explain who or what made nature behavior destructively. Are you saying “God manages nature” and that He employs her forces to cause death and destruction? If not, who or what do you think manages the forces of nature and causes it to behave destructively? At one point you indicated “justice” does it. But who or what is justice?

Quote:
M: You seem to implying God stopped managing the forces of nature and permitted someone or something else to do it. Is that what you think?

T: No.

Are you going to wait until I ask you who or what you think manages the forces of nature to cause death and destruction?

Quote:
M: After all this time I still have no idea what you think or believe about it. Right now all I know is that you believe when God stops managing the forces of nature bad things happen. You do not believe the laws of nature take over and manage the forces of nature to cause bad things to happen.

T: That's been my main point. I've glad that's come across.

It may be your main point, but it doesn’t answer my question. I’m sad that hasn’t come across.

Quote:
M: What causes nature to behave destructively?

T: As I've said quite a number of times, because of sin, nature does not function as originally designed.

How did eating the forbidden fruit cause the forces of nature to stop functioning as originally designed?

Quote:
M: Also, what do you mean by saying you don’t believe “God places every molecule where He wants it”?

T: I mean that it is not the case that the location of every molecule is determined by God.

M: Who or what, then, determines where molecules are located and how they will behave when nature is being destructive?

T: Many things/beings are involved. I think you should recognize this is a very complicated question, MM, and doesn't lend itself well to a short answer.

It is not complicated if you view it from the perspective I believe, which is – God manages and employs every atom and every molecule and all the forces of nature to serve His purposes. They behave according to His will. Ellen White put it this way:

The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. As men have beheld burning mountains pouring forth fire and flames and torrents of melted ore, drying up rivers, overwhelming populous cities, and everywhere spreading ruin and desolation, the stoutest heart has been filled with terror and infidels and blasphemers have been constrained to acknowledge the infinite power of God. {PP 109.1}

Quote:
M: You seem to be saying the angels named above caused the death and destruction described above by withdrawing their protection and allowing evil angels to do it. Am I hearing you correctly?

T: You're lumping a bunch of different cases together, so to answer I'll state that I believe the principles laid out in GC 35-37 apply to all these cases. Simply put, the wicked cause God's protection to be removed from them, and He allows them to receive the results of their choice.

M: All of the cases above have the same thing in common, namely, holy angels caused death and destruction. Yes, God commands holy angels to cause death and destruction because sinners force it.

(quotes omitted) This last one is particular interesting.

1. Satan is the destroyer.
2. He is constrained to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work.
3. We see all sorts of calamities, because the Lord is not exercising His restraining power.
4. The Noachic world is mentioned in this context (of calamities which come about due to the Lord's not exercising His restraining power).

(quote omitted) This suggests that God does not smite, by the wording. Justice smites, which God permits, although it grieves Him to do so.

(quote omitted) This says that plagues come when God does not prevent them, which implies that God is not causing them, because it doesn't make sense to say that the plagues happen because God does not prevent Himself from causing them.

M: You wrote, “Justice smites”. This is the closest you’ve come to answering my question. Thank you. So, “justice” is the “who or what” that takes over when God stops managing the forces of nature. To be clear, are you saying “justice” manipulates the laws and forces of nature to cause death and destruction when God gives it permission?

T: MM, there's nothing in this chain of question and response that's dealing with the managing of the forces of nature. My point in quoting the "justice smites" quote is that the wording indicates that it's not something God is causing. I think you've got confused here as to the subject matter.

I was explaining the following: “IMO, you are misunderstanding what's happening. Satan is the one who causes death and destruction, not God.” You didn't respond to any of the points I made (or even notice them, apparently).

You wrote, “Satan is the one who causes death and destruction, not God. . . [The] plagues come when God does not prevent them, which implies that God is not causing them.” Which implies Satan is the one who “controls the elements” of nature and causes death and destruction. Is this what you think? Do you think God let’s Satan control the elements of nature that are not directly under His control?

You also wrote, “My point in quoting the ‘justice smites’ quote is that the wording indicates that it's not something God is causing.” She said, “When Moses besought God to show him his glory, the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, ‘The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty.’ It grieves the heart of God, as our Father, to let justice smite.” {PH089 15.3}

“To let justice smite.” How does God “let” justice smite? Elsewhere she wrote this about it: “And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. But while inflicting judgment, God remembered mercy.” (CC 155) Is letting justice smite and executing retributive justice one and the same thing? I don’t think so.

Quote:
M: But, what do you mean by “He allows them to receive the results of their choice”?

T: I mean they have chosen to resist the Spirit of God, and have caused Him to withdraw, as GC 35 says. Having withdrawn, they reap the results of their choice.

M: To be clear, are you saying reaping the results of their choices means God stops managing the forces of nature and gives “justice” permission to manipulate them to cause death and destruction?

T: No. It doesn't appear to me you read what I wrote, or, at least, you were reading through quickly if you did. I'd invite you to reread what I wrote more carefully. IMO, your question here makes no sense whatever. You're asking me if I'm saying something which would be absurd. The concept of giving justice permission to manipulate is nonsense. I haven't suggested anything like this.

That’s it? You’re just going to reject my question? The question was an attempt at clarification. Now that I know what you don’t believe, please take a minute to clearly state what you do believe. I realize you believe sinners force God to withdraw His protection and that when He does bad things happen. What is not clear to me is the how. That is, who or what do you think causes the bad things to happen? For example, consider the plagues. Who or what controlled the elements of nature and caused them to behave destructively?

Quote:
M: Does this answer your question? If not, why not?

T: You didn't even quote enough of what I said to address this. Let's try from scratch. The way you describe things, it appears to me that your understanding is that God used force and violence to get his way. The only way to deny this, it appears to me, would be for you to say that what happened was not violence. Is this your contention?

I included the entire volley. You omitted it in this post. Here it is again:

Quote:
Quote:
T: The Egyptian plagues is one such example. Do you think the following are true?

1. God caused the plagues to happen?
2. God did so to get His way?

The only way I think you could deny what I said was to say that the plagues did not involve force or violence. Is this your contention?

M: An atheist or an unsympathetic outsider might criticize God and conclude He was using force and violence to get his way.

T: Or you? If not, why not? Because you don't think the things that were done were violent? (like the killing of the first born) Or is there some other reason?

M: I addressed this question in my last post to you. Ellen White explains the reasons why God employed the plagues in Egypt. I agree with her.

T: No you didn't.

Here’s what I wrote about it:

Quote:
She says the reason God poured out the plagues was to “compel” Egypt to “acknowledge” His power, authority, and superiority over and above other gods. She also says, “He would now punish them for their idolatry, and for their proud boasting of the mercies bestowed upon them by their senseless gods.” Do you have a problem with believing God employed the plagues, His miraculous works, to "compel" and "punish" Egypt?

In addition to these reasons for afflicting Egypt with plagues, God also did it so that 1) “other nations might hear of his power and tremble at his mighty acts”, and so that 2 ) “his people, by witnessing his miraculous works, should fully turn from their idolatry to render to him pure worship.” You seem to be saying "his miraculous works" are in reality the works of nature or evil angels.

Does this answer your question? If not, why not?

Did that help?

Quote:
M: BTW, you didn’t address the following question and comment (from my comments above):

1. Do you have a problem with believing God employed [or permitted] the plagues, His miraculous works, to "compel" and "punish" Egypt?

T: As you envision things, yes. As I see things, no. If you ask how I see things, I believe that God was trying to free the Hebrews, and save Egypt while doing so. God gave light to the Egyptians. Pharaoh resisted the Spirit of God, which is how he hardened his heart, and God permitted disasters to occur in the areas indicated by the rod.

By the time God started sending plagues on Egypt, Pharaoh’s heart was hardened beyond hope. He was unsaveable. If you doubt this point, please post an inspired quote that plainly says otherwise, that is, please post a passage that say something to the effect, “Pharaoh was still capable of being won to Jesus. His heart was not yet too hardened. It was still yielding and pliable. It might be that a demonstration of God’s mercy and power would woe and win him to Jesus. Thus, one by one, God sent plagues hoping it would win Pharaoh and his people to Jesus.”

Quote:
2. You seem to be saying "his miraculous works" are in reality the works of nature or evil angels. Are you?

Are you really going to wait and make me ask the obvious question? Here’s the quote: “The time had come when God would answer the prayers of His oppressed people, and would bring them from Egypt with such mighty displays of His power that the Egyptians would be compelled to acknowledge that the God of the Hebrews, whom they had despised, was above all gods. He would now punish them for their idolatry and for their proud boasting of the mercies bestowed upon them by their senseless gods. God would glorify His own name, that other nations might hear of His power and tremble at His mighty acts, and that His people, by witnessing His miraculous works, should fully turn from their idolatry to render to Him pure worship. {SR 115.1}

What do you think she was referring to when she wrote the following:

1. His mighty displays of power
2. His mighty acts
3. His miraculous works

Was she referring to the plagues? If so, who or what caused them to happen? And, to what purpose did the plagues serve?

Quote:
M: Ellen White explains the reasons why God employed the plagues in Egypt. I agree with her.

T: But I didn't ask this. What I asked, and am still asking, is why you think the criticism that God used force and violence to get His way is unjust. Is it because the things which happened were not violent? Or is there some other reason?

M: Do you think the explanation Ellen White provided (see my comment above) describes God using force or violence or even permitted force or violence?

T: Since I asked you first, I'll await your answer.

Fair enough. But I’m surprised you do not already know my answer. My answer to the question “Do you think the explanation Ellen White provided above describes God using force or violence or permitted force or violence?” is – Of course not! Your turn.

Quote:
M: I don’t think God used force or violence because I believe what Ellen White said about it, namely, that God punished Egypt. Punishment is not force or violence.

T: So you're saying that killing the firstborns was not violent?

I doubt they suffered a violent death. I suspect they simply stopped breathing and died. It was probably done as humanely as possible. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: It is “infinite justice” or “retributive justice”. Elsewhere she wrote:

God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. {GC 541.2}

T: It looks to me that you perceive God to act with violence and force to achieve His purposes. This is how you interpret Scripture and the SOP. You see God undertaking actions which are out of character with what Jesus Christ revealed God's character to be, as I see things.

You seem to be attributing to God motives that are human and ungodly. God can do infinite justice that would be considered forceful and violent and displeasing to Him if we were to do the exact same thing.

Quote:
M: Jerusalem was ransacked and many people killed because the Jews defied the Roman army. If the Jews had complied with the terms and condition of peace, the Roman army would have spared the city, the temple, and their lives. The Jews were working under the false assumption that God would fulfill the restoration promises if they rebelled against Rome. In this sense it didn’t have anything to do with rejecting Jesus or the apostles.

T: The SOP claims it was a direct result of the cross.

M: Do you agree with what I wrote above?

T: I disagree with your conclusion ("In this sense ...")

Are you suggesting the Romans ransacked Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus and His apostles? If not, why, then, do you think the Romans did it? What was their motive and reasons?

Quote:
T: I already commented on this. I think the same principles are at work in both comings. Jerusalem was destroyed due to Christ's first coming (more accurately, as a result of the cross), and the same principles are involved when Christ comes again in the destruction of the wicked. I addressed this on another thread. The wicked destroy themselves. She makes this same point in response to both the destruction of Jerusalem and the destruction of those who reject Christ before His second coming.

M: Also, where did she say what you’re saying?

T: I quoted it to you previously. I don't know off the top of my head. Actually I think you quoted it to me first. Maybe DA 600. (just a guess)

Are you suggesting the Romans ransacked Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus and His apostles? If not, why, then, do you think the Romans did it? What was their motive and reasons?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118326
08/28/09 08:57 PM
08/28/09 08:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
God's judgments were awakened against Jericho. It was a stronghold. But the Captain of the Lord's host Himself came from heaven to lead the armies of heaven in an attack upon the city. Angels of God laid hold of the massive walls and brought them to the ground.--3T 264 (1873). {LDE 243.1}

Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men.--DA 700 (1898). {LDE 243.2}

The same angel who had come from the royal courts to rescue Peter had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber. It was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, laying low his pride and bringing upon him the punishment of the Almighty. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive judgment of God.--AA 152 (1911). {LDE 243.3}

A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere.--GC 614 (1911). {LDE 243.4}

M: You seem to be saying the angels named above caused death and destruction by allowing nature or evil angels to do it. Am I hearing you correctly? Did their sins cause nature to do what happened? If so, how?

T: I'm not sure what you're asking, as there are different cases involved. I can answer them all in a general way by saying that God protects us in a thousand ways, all of them unseen. When He is caused to remove His protection, bad things can result, whether directly caused by evil angels or not. The cause is God's being caused to withdraw. The result of this choice is the occurrence of one of the thousand unseen things of which God is protecting from.

Are you saying, no, the holy angels named above did not personally cause the death and destruction described above? Please take the time to address the five cases and quotes above – 1) Jericho, 2) Assyria, 3) Herod, 4) First-born, and 5) David. If holy angels did not personally cause the death and destruction described above, who or what, then, do you think did, and how did they do it? Please post inspired quotes that clearly articulate your view of each case. Thank you.

[quote]M: "The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits." In what sense do you think the "destructive power" exercised by both holy and evil angels is the "same"? What similarities do they share?

T: (quotes omitted) It appears to me that you must think that the forces now ready, only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere are holy angels. But that doesn't agree with the context preceding nor with the other quotes I’ve presented, which bring out that Satan is the destroyer, the destroying power, not the Lord, and that plagues come about when God ceases to prevent them.

To answer your question, it is evident the power exercised by holy angels is a restraining power.

Tom, I have always agreed that there are times when God permits evil angels to cause death and destruction. I’m not disputing this point. Please believe me. However, I believe there are also times when God commands holy angels to cause death and destruction. You seem to reject this point.

I asked, “’The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits.’ In what sense do you think the ‘destructive power’ exercised by both holy and evil angels is the ‘same’? What similarities do they share?” And you responded by saying, “To answer your question, it is evident the power exercised by holy angels is a restraining power.”

You seem to be saying, destructive power = restraining power. If so, then you also seem to be implying evil angels will exercise the same restraining power exercised by holy angels. But this doesn’t sound right to me. It is the same thing as saying evil angels will restrain evil angels. If this is indeed the truth, who or what, then, will pour out the seven last plagues? Will “justice” do it? If so, who or what is “justice”?

Also, do you know of any inspired passages that specifically say evil angels will cause the death and destruction described in the seven last plagues? Ellen White wrote the following about it:

Quote:
The world is soon to be left by the angel of mercy and the seven last plagues are to be poured out. . . . The bolts of God's wrath are soon to fall, and when He shall begin to punish the transgressors there will be no period of respite until the end. {LDE 238.2}

It is the glory of God to be merciful, full of forbearance, kindness, goodness, and truth. But the justice shown in punishing the sinner is as verily the glory of the Lord as is the manifestation of His mercy. {LDE 240.1}

The Lord God of Israel is to execute judgment upon the gods of this world as upon the gods of Egypt. With fire and flood, plagues and earthquakes, He will spoil the whole land. {LDE 240.2}

I was shown that the seven last plagues will be poured out after Jesus leaves the sanctuary. Said the angel, "It is the wrath of God and the Lamb that causes the destruction or death of the wicked." {EW 52.1}

I was then made capable of enduring the awful sight of the seven last plagues, the wrath of God. I saw that His anger was dreadful and terrible, and if He should stretch forth His hand, or lift it in anger, the inhabitants of the world would be as though they had never been, or would suffer from incurable sores and withering plagues that would come upon them, and they would find no deliverance, but be destroyed by them. {EW 64.2}

My attention was again directed to the earth. The wicked had been destroyed, and their dead bodies were lying upon its surface. The wrath of God in the seven last plagues had been visited upon the inhabitants of the earth, causing them to gnaw their tongues from pain and to curse God. The false shepherds had been the signal objects of Jehovah's wrath. Their eyes had consumed away in their holes, and their tongues in their mouths, while they stood upon their feet. After the saints had been delivered by the voice of God, the wicked multitude turned their rage upon one another. The earth seemed to be deluged with blood, and dead bodies were from one end of it to the other. {EW 289.3}

When Adam's sin plunged the race into hopeless misery, God might have cut Himself loose from fallen beings. He might have treated them as sinners deserved to be treated. He might have commanded the angels of heaven to pour out upon our world the vials of His wrath. He might have removed this dark blot from His universe. {AG 53.2}

BTW, some people attempt to make the following passage apply to the seven last plagues, but is evident from the context that she is not referring to them:

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then, if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course, independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. {LDE 242.1}

The following link contains the context. It is a short letter. God's Protecting Power Removed From Those Who Refuse His Warnings PS - GC posted a functioning link to the quote (#118245)

M: Are you suggesting you in no way believe God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction?

T: I think that's a very odd way of putting things. It's hard to know exactly what it means. I would say that God manages nature, and if He withdraws His management, bad things are bound to happen.

M: Why are bad things bound to happen? What laws or forces would be at work when God stops managing nature?

T: There's too many to list. One example of God's managing things for the protection of man is in the great beasts such as dinosaurs dying out. The SOP points out that man did not have the strength to manage these beasts.

M: True, but we weren’t talking about what God does to protect us. Instead, we were talking about what laws or forces are at work when nature is destructive.

T: I said this above, "I would say that God manages nature, and if He withdraws His management, bad things are bound to happen." I was giving an example of this.

M: But your example does not address my question.

T: Yes it did. You asked what forces of nature were involved. I said there were too many to list, and gave an example of one (a force of nature) in answer to your question.

Are you saying dinosaurs were a force of nature God managed to cause death and destruction?

Quote:
M: But you have yet to explain what laws or forces are at work when natural disasters happen.

T: Physical laws and forces.

M: Are you saying “physical laws and forces”, and not God, are managing the forces of nature as nature is causing death and destruction?

M: Do you agree nature can do nothing without the intimate involvement of God?

T: I pointed out to you that nature is not self-acting.

M: You seem to be arguing that nature, and not God, manages itself to cause death and destruction.

“No” doesn’t explain what you believe. All I know is what you don’t believe about it. Please tell me.

Quote:
M: Are you saying that if A&E had not sinned that God would not have had to work to prevent the forces of nature from causing death and destruction?

T: I guess so. That's a bit tricky, with the double negative. Without sin, there would be no destructive forces to prevent, right? Unless you count Satan. God would still have had to work to prevent him from destroying.

M: If so, what changed? Did eating the forbidden fruit upset the balance in nature? That is, did eating a piece of fruit cause the forces of nature to become violent and dangerous? If so, how?

T: Yes. It increased Satan's license to do damage, to name one way.

So, are you saying it wasn’t A&E’s sin that upset the balance of nature and caused it to become violent and dangerous? Or, are you implying what changed is Satan’s right to “control the elements” (GC 589) of nature and that he makes them behave destructively? If so, doesn’t this imply God prevents nature from causing death and destruction by restraining Satan from exercising his power over nature?

Quote:
M: But we weren’t talking about the destruction of Jerusalem. Instead, we were talking about the effects of being in the presence of Jesus while He was here in the flesh and when He returns the second and third time. All the quotes I posted described the different effects. Do you agree with my observations?

T: I think the principles in all the events are similar. The effect of rejecting truth is more pronounced the more light there is. The destruction which takes place happens because of the rejection of truth, which is the light that gives life to the righteous.

Do you agree that the light that radiates from God’s presence will cause sinners to suffer pain similar to the light radiating from Moses’ face caused the COI to suffer pain? If not, why not? Please explain your answer. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118327
08/28/09 09:08 PM
08/28/09 09:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
this is noteworthy wording. why did she stress that she was shown? why not just say, the judgments......?

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. [SEE ALSO THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, P. 614, WHERE ELLEN WHITE STATES, "A SINGLE ANGEL DESTROYED ALL THE FIRST-BORN OF THE EGYPTIANS AND FILLED THE LAND WITH MOURNING. WHEN DAVID OFFENDED AGAINST GOD BY NUMBERING THE PEOPLE, ONE ANGEL CAUSED THAT TERRIBLE DESTRUCTION BY WHICH HIS SIN WAS PUNISHED. THE SAME DESTRUCTIVE POWER EXERCISED BY HOLY ANGELS WHEN GOD COMMANDS, WILL BE EXERCISED BY EVIL ANGELS WHEN HE PERMITS."] It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

I suspect she said "I was shown" because it was shown to her in vision. I don't see where she "stressed" it, though, as if to say, "Sit up and take note. This is very important. Don't get this wrong." She simply reported the facts. She often began with "I was shown" or something similar when referring to her dreams and visions.

It is very clear in the SOP that Ellen White believed there are times when God withdraws His protection and permits evil angels to cause death and destruction. I don't think anybody on this forum disagrees with this point. It is equally as obvious that Tom and Kland do not believe God has ever Himself caused death and destruction or that He has ever commanded holy angels to cause death and destruction. What is not clear is who or what they believe caused such things to happen.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118329
08/28/09 10:07 PM
08/28/09 10:07 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings,... {14MR 3.1}

I suspect she said "I was shown" because it was shown to her in vision. I don't see where she "stressed" it, though, as if to say, "Sit up and take note. This is very important. Don't get this wrong." She simply reported the facts. She often began with "I was shown" or something similar when referring to her dreams and visions.
i have to disagree. i see her as stressing that it came from God Himself and not from her understanding.

Quote:
...It is equally as obvious that Tom and Kland do not believe God has ever Himself caused death and destruction or that He has ever commanded holy angels to cause death and destruction. What is not clear is who or what they believe caused such things to happen.
again i disagree given the multitude of pages on this forum regarding this issue. it is obvious to some that the answer has been given over and over and in as many ways as possible. i cant help but see that there is something else going on, not that they have not given a clear answer.

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117631&page=3 114874
Posted by: Tom Re: plagues - 06/19/09 01:51 AM
I've been keeping quiet because my opinions have already been expressed, and I was interested in what Teresa would say. I agree with what she has said.

God's protecting hand protects us from both Satan and the forces of nature. The bad things that happen to those whom God protects may be caused by Satan directly, or not. If not, these bad things may be caused by other evil beings, or by inanimate forces. The basic principle remains the same, which is God removes His protective hand, and bad things happen.

In the case of the plagues, God's servant indicated with the rod what would be destroyed once God's protective hand was removed. It wasn't necessarily Satan who caused the plague to occur, although it might have been. For example, the last plague, the killing of the first-born, looks to have been Satan as opposed to the forces of nature.

This brings up an interesting question. Why didn't Satan simply refrain from killing the first-born to make God a liar? Or, to put it another way, why would he kill the first-born given God said that was going to happen? What did Satan have to gain by this action?

On the surface, it may seem that Satan could gain more by not destroying the first-born, in an attempt to make God look foolish. But when considering what Satan had to gain, it seems he had more to gain by following the course he did. By killing the first-born he had a perfect opportunity to frame God for their killing, and continue misrepresenting God's character, as God was willing to take "credit" for their deaths.

Why was God willing to take such "credit"? For the same reason Christ was willing to tell the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. God was working within the paradigm the Egyptians had. Their idea was the true God was the one who was the most powerful, who overpowered the other gods. Now it's true that God is the most powerful, and that God demonstrated His power, but He didn't have to overpower the other gods by force, or Himself kill and destroy, in order to do so. Force is not a principle of God's government, and violence is not a part of His character. He was willing to allow Himself to be misunderstood as using force and violence, in order to reach those whose paradigms were so mixed up. God always has to reach us where we are, or there's no way He can communicate with us. We have highly overrated senses of our abilities to understand God and His ways, so He routinely humbles Himself to reach us in our arrogance and ignorance. He doesn't do so by acting contrary to His principles, but He allows us to misunderstand certain things (e.g. the immortality of the soul, or that He uses force and violence to achieve His ends) in order to teach us others (e.g. even if one should raise from the dead, if Moses is not believed, neither would Christ be, or God is the one true God, more powerful than anyone else).

I am starting out with the conviction that God is a certain way (i.e. like Christ) and when I see Him supposedly doing things which are not like Christ, I ask the question, "What's wrong here?" Of course, one possibility is that I'm misunderstanding what Christ is like, but in this case it seems to me much more likely that what happened in the Egyptian plagues is misunderstood than that Christ, in reality, would resort to force and violence to achieve His ends if necessary.

I cannot conceive, based on Christ's life and teachings, that He would ever, in any circumstances, kill innocent children in order to demonstrate that He is more powerful than another. I cannot imagine that He would ever, under any circumstance, use escalating force and violence, to compel an adversary to capitulate, along the lines that the Egyptian plagues are ordinarily understood.

Once one understands Christ's character to be a certain way, and understands the two principles that God is often presented as doing that which He permits, and that His protective hand saves us from many destructive things of which we are unaware, it's very easy to perceive the violent acts of inspiration in such a way that does not have God directly taking violent action or using force. It's simply a matter of viewing things from a certain paradigm.

A different paradigm to mine allows for God to do things mine does not. It allows God to do violent things, to kill and to use force, because this is what one sees inspiration as saying. Mine does not, because of Christ. If I see inspiration as teaching that God used force or violently killed or tortured someone, or coerced or incented others to act in such a way, my conclusion is that my understanding of the given passage must be incorrect, and what appeared to have happened didn't.

For example, in Scripture we read that God sent poisonous serpents upon the Israelites, and these serpents bit the Israelites, many of whom were injured or died. It looks like God did this because He was ticked off and wanted to teach the Israelites a lesson. From my paradigm, it's easy to see that what actually happened is that God withdrew His protecting hand, and the snakes which He had been protecting them from, caused the damage. God did not sick the snakes on them, nor was He ticked off, but this is what was perceived to have happened, and this is how inspiration (at least Scripture) records this event.

So the underlying question seems to come down to what we allow to be our bedrock in terms of determining what God is really like. Is it Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ said that the things He did were the things He saw His Father do, and what He taught were the things He heard from His Father. Where did He here and see these things? From Scripture (the Old Testament). So the things He did and taught were what He saw God doing and saying in the Old Testament. Not Christ's actions and teachings appear to be very different than what we read of God doing and saying in the Old Testament. So what to do we do with this apparent discrepancy?

One approach would be to say that Christ did not give a complete revelation of God, but a partial one, revealing what God is like in certain circumstances, namely the circumstances which Christ met. Under different circumstances, God could act and speak in very different ways.(tq comment: such as changing the wording of the inspired messenger of the Lord to fit our view instead of....)

Another approach would be to say that we're simply misunderstanding what God actually did and said in the Old Testament, but Jesus Christ had it right. In this approach, we see Christ as saying, "If you want to know what God is really like, look at Me! Let me be your view, your picture, of God."

If we see the OT God as acting and speaking differently than Jesus Christ did in the flesh, I believe it means our paradigm needs adjusting. We need new wineskins so we can receive new wine. We need the eyes and ears of Christ, to see and hear the things in Scripture as He did.

perhaps this could be seen as "defending tom" or "defending error"... i see it as defending the truth which supercedes all else.

there will never ever be any excuse for being less than truthful in all dealings, regardless of who the person is.

Page 85 of 91 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!