HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 86 of 91 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118330
08/28/09 10:36 PM
08/28/09 10:36 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117631&page=3 114874
Posted by: Tom Re: plagues - 06/19/09 01:51 AMWhy was God willing to take such "credit"?
the pioneer posted saw it this way:

IN WHAT SENSE DID THE LORD HARDEN PHARAOH'S HEART?

IT cannot be denied that some minds find serious difficulties in this subject. This fact is a sufficient reason for an effort to relieve the subject of its difficulties, and to set it in the light of reason and of Scripture. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 138.23}

It is supposed by some that the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart by an exertion of divine power, that was, first, direct; second, irresistible; and, third, of set purpose to produce this result. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 138.24}

Over against this view, we maintain that God's agency in the hardening of Pharaoh's heart was, first, indirect and permissive; second, negative (not positive) - and consisted in leaving him to himself, withholding efforts of mercy to save him; third, that it was not irresistible, but was in perfect harmony with Pharaoh's free moral agency; fourth, that God's agency and policy in the case were judicial - done as a just judgment on Pharaoh for his sin, and under circumstances which fully justified Jehovah in revealing his power, his justice, and his righteous retribution on a persistent sinner. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 138.25}

The reader will now very properly inquire, On what grounds do you give the Scriptures the construction you propose? For the Scriptures declare repeatedly that the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart. He first said to Moses, Ex.iv,21; vii,3, that he would do it; and after it was done, said more than once (for example, Ex.x,1; xi,10) that he had done it. Do you not, therefore, evade the plain sense of Scripture when you interpret God's agency as only indirect, permissive, negative, and not purposing the end of his hardening for its own sake? {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 138.26}….

2nd. But again, it seems plain that in the cases where the Lord is said to have hardened Pharaoh's heart, the language looks rather to the certainty of the event, or to the incidental results God would educe from Pharaoh's sin by over-ruling and punishing it, than to the nature of the agency by which it was done. Phrases sometimes take their shape from their first use. The first use of this is prophetic, Ex.iv,21, spoken to Moses while yet in Midian, and manifestly having reference to the certainty of the event, and not to the particular kind of agency employed in producing it. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 139.20}

3rd. We give to the words all the meaning they naturally call for, when we explain them to refer to that permissive and providential agency whereby the Lord sent Moses to Pharaoh with his own commands; brought plagues on him and his people; let his wicked heart have its own way, withheld all divine restraining influence, and gave some, more or less, scope to Satan's temptations. This done, any sinner hardens his heart fast enough. There is never occasion for any other influences from God to make men sin. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 139.21}….

Perhaps we may add that in this whole history we may see that the Lord seems not to be specially careful to shield his own ways against cavilers. Those who choose and who try to blame God, can do so. They are free to do this - even as Pharaoh was free to harden his heart under the respite granted from the plagues in answer to his imploring cry. Sometimes it may seem to us that scripture language leaves the ways of God unguardedly open to cavil. Let us rather say, Their tone is that of perfect honesty, and of a full and peaceful consciousness of integrity. The entire Bible history reveals a God whose absorbing concern it is to be, not merely to seem, right; and who throws upon all readers the responsibility of being candid and fair-minded as toward God. If they will not be fair and unsuspicious; - if they will not dispel from their souls all prejudice against God's ways and character, they must bear their own responsibilities. - Ob. Evan. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 139.31}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118345
08/29/09 02:45 AM
08/29/09 02:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:It is very clear in the SOP that Ellen White believed there are times when God withdraws His protection and permits evil angels to cause death and destruction. I don't think anybody on this forum disagrees with this point. It is equally as obvious that Tom and Kland do not believe God has ever Himself caused death and destruction or that He has ever commanded holy angels to cause death and destruction. What is not clear is who or what they believe caused such things to happen.

Sure it's clear. The SOP tells us that God protects us from a thousand things, all of them unseen. When God removes His protection, we are in danger from these unseen dangers God was protecting us from. The "who or what" caused such things to happen come from these thousand of unseen dangers the SOP mentions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118354
08/29/09 08:24 AM
08/29/09 08:24 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Who wrote this?
one of the pioneers. they werent real worried about being known for what they wrote. in other words there is no byline, just the identifiers at the end of each paragraph.

so, whoever jwe is. i suppose my cd has a list somewhere of the initials.
it was james white and the little "e" stands for editor.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118356
08/29/09 10:05 AM
08/29/09 10:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
The way you describe things, it appears to me that your understanding is that God used force and violence to get his way. The only way to deny this, it appears to me, would be for you to say that what happened was not violence. Is this your contention?

It looks to me that you perceive God to act with violence and force to achieve His purposes. This is how you interpret Scripture and the SOP. You see God undertaking actions which are out of character with what Jesus Christ revealed God's character to be, as I see things.

Tom,

I'm rather interested in whether or not you feel Pilate used force when he commanded the soldiers to put Jesus to death? Was His crucifixion an act of violence against Him?

Of course, I'm sure you would agree that it was. If the deaths of the firstborn of Egypt is counted as "violence" in your eyes, the wrongful execution of the innocent firstborn of God must certainly be the same thing: an act of violence.

In fact, this act was so forceful and violent that the story is written in the Bible with gruesome detail, leading us to understand just how torturous and painful Jesus' experience was--and He was bruised for our iniquity.

Mrs. White speaks of the "violent death" of John the Baptist (CC 290.3). She speaks of the violence of Jesus' death:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
As soon as Jesus was nailed to the cross, it was lifted by strong men, and with great violence thrust into the place prepared for it. This caused the most intense agony to the Son of God.... {DA 745.2}

Heaven beheld the Victim betrayed into the hands of the murderous mob, and with mockery and violence hurried from one tribunal to another. It heard the sneers of His persecutors because of His lowly birth. It heard the denial with cursing and swearing by one of His best-loved disciples. It saw the frenzied work of Satan, and his power over the hearts of men. Oh, fearful scene! the Saviour seized at midnight in Gethsemane, dragged to and fro from palace to judgment hall, arraigned twice before the priests, twice before the Sanhedrin, twice before Pilate, and once before Herod, mocked, scourged, condemned, and led out to be crucified, bearing the heavy burden of the cross, amid the wailing of the daughters of Jerusalem and the jeering of the rabble. {DA 760.1}

However, of this exact event, God inspired Mrs. White to write the following:
Men of all characters, righteous and unrighteous, will stand in their several positions in God's plan. With the characters they have formed, they will act their part in the fulfillment of history. In a crisis, just at the right moment, they will stand in the places they have prepared themselves to fill. Believers and unbelievers will fall into line as witnesses to confirm truth that they themselves do not comprehend. All will cooperate in accomplishing the purposes of God, just as did Annas, Caiaphas, Pilate, and Herod. In putting Christ to death, the priests thought they were carrying out their own purposes, but unconsciously and unintentionally they were fulfilling the purpose of God. {CC 371.3}[Conflict and Courage (1970)]

Sometimes, then, God accomplishes His Divine purposes through violent means.

There are some important lessons to be learned from the plagues. I do believe that God accomplished His Divine purposes by means of them--even by Pharaoh hardening his heart against God, so that God would have the chance to prove His authority and power as a witness to the whole world through those miraculous plagues.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118357
08/29/09 02:11 PM
08/29/09 02:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: You wrote, “The way you perceive God as acting is that He escalated the use of His power until Pharaoh gave in.” What did I say above that gives you this impression?

T: You've written a lot on this subject. Based on what you've said, this is my impression of what you believe. If this is inaccurate, please let me know how.

M:God plagued and punished Egypt to compel them to acknowledge His power, authority, and superiority over other gods. He also did it for the other reasons named above. From God’s perspective it was never a question of whether or not He would be able to relocate the COI to the Promised Land. He could have accomplished His purpose in other ways. However, He did it the way He did for the reasons already mentioned. I wouldn’t say He escalated things to achieve His goals. Instead, I would simply say He did what He did knowing it achieve His goals.

As you know, I believe God has known from eternity what it would take to achieve His goals. He didn’t make it up on the run. You seem to think I believe God tried one thing hoping it would work and when it didn’t He upped the ante, each time hoping it would finally persuade Pharaoh to comply.

MM, how can you possible conclude this from what I've written? This sort of things are very frustrating to encounter. *My* view is that God was causing these things at all! Surely this should be clear to you by now. My view is that God *permitted* these things to happen.

Quote:
Remember, God was dependent on Pharaoh to accomplish His purpose.

What do you mean?

Quote:
He didn’t need Pharaoh’s permission.

What was God dependent upon Pharaoh. Why would He need Pharaoh's permission? (I realize here you're saying He didn't, but why would this thought even come up?)

Quote:
Again, God did what He did to achieve His goals.

I agree with this. Where we differ is in what God did. You see that He did things that involved what an ordinary person would describe as force and violence.

You'd agree that your view is that God compelled Pharaoh, right? Let's start with this. I'm basing this on the fact that you said, "God plagued and punished Egypt to compel them to acknowledge His power, authority, and superiority over other gods." God "plagued" them by causing them excruciating pain (e.g. boils) and killing them (hail, last plague), according to your view, right?

So, to summarize your view:

1.God compelled Pharaoh by "plaguing" him.
2.These plagues involved causing excruciating pain and killing.
3.Therefore God, in your view, causes people excruciating pain and kills them in order to come them to do what He wants in order to achieve His goals.

Regarding the Amorites, the following describes the principles involved:

Quote:
The [nation] had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O [nation], thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the [nation] had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them

I replaced "Jews" and "Israelites" with "[nation]", as in "fill in nation here." It's the same principle involved, MM! She explains just a little later:

Quote:
The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.(ibid.)

The principle is:
1.God gives light, with the intent to save.
2.If that light is rejected, people eventually God cause to withdraw His protection.
3.This manifests God's hatred of sin and the certain punishment to fall upon the guilty.

It doesn't matter if they are Israelites or Amorites. God is not a respecter of persons.

Quote:
The principle described above applied to Egypt. Her cup of woe and wrath was full. Her probation of mercy and grace was ended. The time for retributive justice and judgment had come.

Or Egypt. The name of the nation doesn't matter. The principles involved are the same. God is not a respecter of persons, or nations.

The principle of the full cup is that when the cup is full, God is caused to remove His protection, and then come judgments (See the GC statement quoted above).

Quote:
M: Who or what is managing the forces of nature when God withdraws His protection?

T: God manages nature, if that's what you're asking.

M: In what sense do you think God managed the forces of nature in the out pouring of plagues on Egypt?

T: God was caused to remove His protection. In mercy, God limited the damage to specific areas, the things indicated by the rod.

M: You didn’t answer my question.

T: Yes I did. It's right above your comment here that says, "You didn't answer my question."

M:The fact God withdrew His protection and enforced His established limits does not explain who or what made nature behavior destructively. Are you saying “God manages nature” and that He employs her forces to cause death and destruction? If not, who or what do you think manages the forces of nature and causes it to behave destructively? At one point you indicated “justice” does it. But who or what is justice?

Regarding "justice smites," I quoted Ellen White, to make the point that the way the statement I quoted was worded, this destruction was not something God was causing, a point which you haven't addressed.

Quote:
It grieves the heart of God, as our Father, to let justice smite. (The Review and Herald, June 30, 1891)

Notice it says to "let" justice smite. So clearly this is something God permits, as opposed to causes. The same thing applies to the plagues. She wrote that God "prevents them not." If He is "not preventing" them, then clearly He is not causing them.

I don't see how you can rationally conclude from this statement that "justice" manages nature. This is so illogical, I don't know how to respond to this, other than to point out that it doesn't make any sense to say this.

Regarding what happens, this is explained in the GC chapter on the destruction of Jerusalem. This is just one principle, MM! This is good news. There's only one principle to learn!

Quote:
By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the [fill in the blank] had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ....

and something bad happened. That's the principle.

Quote:
M: You seem to implying God stopped managing the forces of nature and permitted someone or something else to do it. Is that what you think?

T: No.

M:Are you going to wait until I ask you who or what you think manages the forces of nature to cause death and destruction?

Ok. These "you seem to by implying" questions are very difficult for me to answer. They are often predicated on things I've not said. I don't know how to respond other than point out I've not said these things. For example, so far from saying that God stops managing nature, I was the one who first pointed out to you that nature was not self-acting. And you are aware of this. Which makes your "are you suggesting" question even more difficult to understand.

God continues to oversee nature, and His involvement is necessary, as nature is not self-acting. However, that doesn't mean He causes it to cause death and destruction. He permits that to happen.

Here's an example. Let's say that you use drugs, and drive under the influence of drugs. God miraculously protects you from being killed in a car accident. You continue using drugs and driving under the influence. Eventually God permits you to be killed by a car accident. God is not causing the other cars to run into you.

Quote:
M: After all this time I still have no idea what you think or believe about it. Right now all I know is that you believe when God stops managing the forces of nature bad things happen. You do not believe the laws of nature take over and manage the forces of nature to cause bad things to happen.

T: That's been my main point. I've glad that's come across.

M:It may be your main point, but it doesn’t answer my question. I’m sad that hasn’t come across.

My point is a simple one. We are protected from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. When God is caused to remove His protection, we are subject to these unseen dangers. The specifics of how these unseen dangers act isn't the important thing, but the principle involved, which I've just explained.

Quote:
M: What causes nature to behave destructively?

T: As I've said quite a number of times, because of sin, nature does not function as originally designed.

M:How did eating the forbidden fruit cause the forces of nature to stop functioning as originally designed?

You already asked this. I answered this. I gave you an example, quoting the following:

Quote:
Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this" (Matthew 13:27, 28). All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. (2SM 288)

Perhaps it would be good to slow down a bit. Please read carefully what's being said. When you ask me a question I've already answered, I find that perplexing. It makes me think perhaps you're rushing things a bit. New ideas take time to digest.

Quote:
M: Also, what do you mean by saying you don’t believe “God places every molecule where He wants it”?

T: I mean that it is not the case that the location of every molecule is determined by God.

M: Who or what, then, determines where molecules are located and how they will behave when nature is being destructive?

T: Many things/beings are involved. I think you should recognize this is a very complicated question, MM, and doesn't lend itself well to a short answer.

M:It is not complicated if you view it from the perspective I believe, which is – God manages and employs every atom and every molecule and all the forces of nature to serve His purposes.

I agree that if one views these things as Augustine did, as you're suggesting is the case, then this is much simpler. However, I think this is an inaccurate way of viewing things. It's simply not possible the Ellen White had this perspective, coming from a Wesleyan tradition. You're being inconsistent theologically here. What you're writing is deterministic, and the logical development of determinism is that which Jonathan Edwards described in "Freedom of the Will."

God *uses* nature to achieve His purpose. This doesn't mean He *causes* nature to do what it does, any more than it means that God caused Pharaoh to do what he did, or the Romans to do what they did, although He used what they did to achieve His purposes as well.

Quote:
M:You wrote, “Satan is the one who causes death and destruction, not God. . . [The] plagues come when God does not prevent them, which implies that God is not causing them.” Which implies Satan is the one who “controls the elements” of nature and causes death and destruction.

No it doesn't.

Quote:
Is this what you think?

No. Not if you mean all the time. Certainly sometimes natural disasters are caused by Satan. Actually early Christians believed that Satan was responsible for all natural disasters, which is rather interesting. However, I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think nature was profoundly impacted by sin, and natural disasters happen when God does not intervene because of things like moist warm fronts colliding with cold dryer ones.

Quote:
Do you think God lets Satan control the elements of nature that are not directly under His control?

Certainly sometimes this happens, as in Job, for example. But not necessarily always, as I explained.

Quote:
“To let justice smite.” How does God “let” justice smite? Elsewhere she wrote this about it: “And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. But while inflicting judgment, God remembered mercy.” (CC 155) Is letting justice smite and executing retributive justice one and the same thing?

Yes. There's just one principle to learn, which is the one laid out in GC 35-36. Letting justice smite, executing retributive justice, whatever you want to call it, the same thing is happening. God is caused to remove His protection from the thousand unseen things that He is protecting us from, and something bad happens.

Quote:
M: But, what do you mean by “He allows them to receive the results of their choice”?

T: I mean they have chosen to resist the Spirit of God, and have caused Him to withdraw, as GC 35 says. Having withdrawn, they reap the results of their choice.

M: To be clear, are you saying reaping the results of their choices means God stops managing the forces of nature and gives “justice” permission to manipulate them to cause death and destruction?

T: No. It doesn't appear to me you read what I wrote, or, at least, you were reading through quickly if you did. I'd invite you to reread what I wrote more carefully. IMO, your question here makes no sense whatever. You're asking me if I'm saying something which would be absurd. The concept of giving justice permission to manipulate is nonsense. I haven't suggested anything like this.

M:That’s it? You’re just going to reject my question? The question was an attempt at clarification. Now that I know what you don’t believe, please take a minute to clearly state what you do believe.

MM, do you really think, "God stops managing the forces of nature and gives “justice” permission to manipulate them to cause death and destruction?" makes any sense? I think anyone in this forum would agree that this is a concept that doesn't make sense, regardless of their view on the issue we're discussing. I think you should consider what you're writing and ask if it makes sense.

God "gives 'justice' permission to manipulate them to cause death and destruction." How does this even come close to making sense?

Quote:
M:I realize you believe sinners force God to withdraw His protection and that when He does bad things happen. What is not clear to me is the how.

How is not the important point. There are a thousand unseen dangers that God protects us from. We don't need to understand what all these unseen dangers are, or how they work, to understand the principle that He is protecting us from these things and that if He ceases bad things can happen to us.

Quote:
That is, who or what do you think causes the bad things to happen? For example, consider the plagues. Who or what controlled the elements of nature and caused them to behave destructively?

It depends on the case. Some of this was discussed earlier. The particulars don't really matter. The important thing is to understand the overall principles.

Quote:
M: Does this answer your question? If not, why not?

T: You didn't even quote enough of what I said to address this. Let's try from scratch. The way you describe things, it appears to me that your understanding is that God used force and violence to get his way. The only way to deny this, it appears to me, would be for you to say that what happened was not violence. Is this your contention?

M: ....

MM, I've been asking you this question for about a week now, and have tried many times now, and you've refused to answer, which causes one to wonder why. It's a direct question, which can be answered "yes" or "no." Please do so, and then explain your "yes" or "no" answer however you wish.

Either this is your contention, or it's not. You should be able to answer that.

Quote:
M: BTW, you didn’t address the following question and comment (from my comments above):

1. Do you have a problem with believing God employed [or permitted] the plagues, His miraculous works, to "compel" and "punish" Egypt?

T: As you envision things, yes. As I see things, no. If you ask how I see things, I believe that God was trying to free the Hebrews, and save Egypt while doing so. God gave light to the Egyptians. Pharaoh resisted the Spirit of God, which is how he hardened his heart, and God permitted disasters to occur in the areas indicated by the rod.

M:By the time God started sending plagues on Egypt, Pharaoh’s heart was hardened beyond hope. He was unsaveable. If you doubt this point, please post an inspired quote that plainly says otherwise, that is, please post a passage that say something to the effect, “Pharaoh was still capable of being won to Jesus. His heart was not yet too hardened. It was still yielding and pliable. It might be that a demonstration of God’s mercy and power would woe and win him to Jesus. Thus, one by one, God sent plagues hoping it would win Pharaoh and his people to Jesus.”

Clearly if you're going to propose something like this, the onus is on you to provide such a quote. My position, without being aware of evidence to the contrary, is that we don't know whether Pharaoh was beyond hope or not. If you want to propose something definite on this question (or any question) you should provide evidence for your position, not ask for an inspired quote saying the opposite. I could say, "The moon is made of green cheese. if you doubt this, please present an inspired quote saying something to the effect that "the moon is not made of green cheese."

Quote:
MM:2. You seem to be saying "his miraculous works" are in reality the works of nature or evil angels. Are you?

T: No.

MM:Are you really going to wait and make me ask the obvious question?

Your "are you suggesting" questions tend to be poor questions. I think it would be better to phrase them in some other way, as you've done here. I spend hours, literally, answering your questions, so I'm clearly not unwilling to answer them.

Quote:
Here’s the quote: “The time had come when God would answer the prayers of His oppressed people, and would bring them from Egypt with such mighty displays of His power that the Egyptians would be compelled to acknowledge that the God of the Hebrews, whom they had despised, was above all gods. He would now punish them for their idolatry and for their proud boasting of the mercies bestowed upon them by their senseless gods. God would glorify His own name, that other nations might hear of His power and tremble at His mighty acts, and that His people, by witnessing His miraculous works, should fully turn from their idolatry to render to Him pure worship. {SR 115.1}

What do you think she was referring to when she wrote the following:

1. His mighty displays of power
2. His mighty acts
3. His miraculous works

Was she referring to the plagues? If so, who or what caused them to happen? And, to what purpose did the plagues serve?

God's might power is displayed in His protecting us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. We get a glimpse of His power when we see what happens when He relaxes His protection, such as when he "prevents not" plagues.

Quote:
M: Ellen White explains the reasons why God employed the plagues in Egypt. I agree with her.

T: But I didn't ask this. What I asked, and am still asking, is why you think the criticism that God used force and violence to get His way is unjust. Is it because the things which happened were not violent? Or is there some other reason?

M: Do you think the explanation Ellen White provided (see my comment above) describes God using force or violence or even permitted force or violence?

T: Since I asked you first, I'll await your answer.

M:Fair enough. But I’m surprised you do not already know my answer.

MM, this comment doesn't make sense. You say, "Fair enough," which I take to mean, "You're right. You asked first. I should answer your question." Given this is the case, it's obvious I'm not making indication regarding whether I know the answer or not. I'm simply asking for the courtesy of your answering a question I asked you first, which you seemed to recognize by saying "fair enough."

So your following comment is out of line, isn't it?

Quote:
My answer to the question “Do you think the explanation Ellen White provided above describes God using force or violence or permitted force or violence?” is – Of course not! Your turn.

So you're saying that the killing of the firstborns was not violence? I think killing the firstborn was violence. The boils too, to name another one. Causing people excruciating pain and killing them to compel them or their survivors is violence.

Quote:
M: I don’t think God used force or violence because I believe what Ellen White said about it, namely, that God punished Egypt. Punishment is not force or violence.

T: So you're saying that killing the firstborns was not violent?

M:I doubt they suffered a violent death. I suspect they simply stopped breathing and died. It was probably done as humanely as possible. Do you agree?

An interesting question. From "The Great Controversy"

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (GC 35)

So given the great deceiver was trying to conceal his own work, he might have been humane in the killing of the firstborn.

Quote:
You seem

No.

Quote:
to be attributing to God motives that are human and ungodly.

No.

Quote:
God can do infinite justice that would be considered forceful and violent and displeasing to Him if we were to do the exact same thing.

They're not doing the same thing. They would be doing what appeared to be the same thing to them. That is, they would be doing what they perceive God to be doing. God is often said to do that which He permits.

Quote:
Are you suggesting the Romans ransacked Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus and His apostles? If not, why, then, do you think the Romans did it? What was their motive and reasons?

The Jews rejected God, and His counsel, which would have kept them safe. The Romans were motivated by selfish considerations such as keeping the empire.

Quote:
Are you suggesting the Romans ransacked Jerusalem because the Jews rejected Jesus and His apostles? If not, why, then, do you think the Romans did it? What was their motive and reasons?

You just asked this. MM, I think it would be good to slow down. When you repeat questions you've already asked, it gives the impression of haste. I think sometimes less can be more. Let's try to boil things down to a couple of key principles and points, and discuss these, how about that?

For example, here are a couple of principles I see:

1.The view you are suggesting of the plagues has God acting in a way where He "plagues" his victims (I'm trying to quote you; you used "plague" as a verb; perhaps you'd like to suggest a different word for "victim" (?)) more and more until He compels them to do what He wants them to do in order to achieve His goals. This is accurate, isn't it?

2.I see there is one principle which explains all the violence of Scripture which is attributed to God, which is that He protects us from a thousand dangers, all unseen, and is caused to remove His protection from these dangers.

It seems to me that this quite long post can be summarized by just a couple of these points.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118362
08/29/09 05:34 PM
08/29/09 05:34 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
However, of this exact event, God inspired Mrs. White to write the following:
Men of all characters, righteous and unrighteous, will stand in their several positions in God's plan. With the characters they have formed, they will act their part in the fulfillment of history. In a crisis, just at the right moment, they will stand in the places they have prepared themselves to fill. Believers and unbelievers will fall into line as witnesses to confirm truth that they themselves do not comprehend. All will cooperate in accomplishing the purposes of God, just as did Annas, Caiaphas, Pilate, and Herod. In putting Christ to death, the priests thought they were carrying out their own purposes, but unconsciously and unintentionally they were fulfilling the purpose of God. {CC 371.3}[Conflict and Courage (1970)]
this is a very deep statement, or thought, green cochoa. one that i personally would have to think about and wait on the Lord for understanding of to fit in with the overall message. at first glance it would indicate a predestinarian stance but we know ellen white was not in the least a predestinarian.

im wondering how you are understanding the thought.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118372
08/29/09 11:03 PM
08/29/09 11:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Ellen White, quoting Jesus
No human being is excusable for having a conscience that will permit him to cause pain or suffering to any of God's children. Christ declares: "Whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offenses! for it must needs be that offenses come; but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh!" {RH, January 24, 1899 par. 20}[The Review and Herald]

We are to count it "all joy" when we have trials and temptations, because these work patience in us. If we are a person by whom others are offended, perhaps we are, as it were, a part of the fire which tries and purifies their faith. However, woe unto us for being the cause of their trials! (You may interpret her statement differently, this is just one application that I see. Mrs. White herself applies this statement to multiple unrelated situations.)

Jesus needed to die for us to fulfill the plan for our redemption. It was prophesied that He would be given stripes, and would be bruised for us. Those prophecies needed to be fulfilled. God's purpose would never have been accomplished without these "acts of violence."

But Jesus is here warning, "Woe to the man by whom the offense cometh!"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118389
08/30/09 02:56 AM
08/30/09 02:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: God's protecting hand protects us from both Satan and the forces of nature. The bad things that happen to those whom God protects may be caused by Satan directly, or not. If not, these bad things may be caused by other evil beings, or by inanimate forces. The basic principle remains the same, which is God removes His protective hand, and bad things happen.

In the case of the plagues, God's servant indicated with the rod what would be destroyed once God's protective hand was removed. It wasn't necessarily Satan who caused the plague to occur, although it might have been. For example, the last plague, the killing of the first-born, looks to have been Satan as opposed to the forces of nature.

Thank you for reposting this post. I was away for awhile and did not see this one. You're right, it is the clearest answer Tom has provided. I hear Tom saying:

When God withdraws His protection, the bad things that would have happened naturally are allowed to happen within His established and enforced limits. In other words, things are not allowed to get out of hand, to run their full, natural course. The only things that happen are things God is willing to let happen. In this sense, the things that happen are, at least to some degree, arbitrary and unnatural. However, for these modified, regulated things to happen, the participation of one or more of the following is required - 1) Satan, 2) other evil beings, or 3) inanimate forces. Of course, it is assumed that in the case of number 3, inanimate forces are self-acting, that they can behave destructively independent of God and yet still be managed by God so as not to exceed His established limits. In all of this, God is not to be blamed or credited for the things that happen.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118397
08/30/09 05:04 AM
08/30/09 05:04 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
T: God's protecting hand protects us from both Satan and the forces of nature. The bad things that happen to those whom God protects may be caused by Satan directly, or not. If not, these bad things may be caused by other evil beings, or by inanimate forces. The basic principle remains the same, which is God removes His protective hand, and bad things happen.

In the case of the plagues, God's servant indicated with the rod what would be destroyed once God's protective hand was removed. It wasn't necessarily Satan who caused the plague to occur, although it might have been. For example, the last plague, the killing of the first-born, looks to have been Satan as opposed to the forces of nature.

Thank you for reposting this post. I was away for awhile and did not see this one. You're right, it is the clearest answer Tom has provided. I hear Tom saying:

When God withdraws His protection, the bad things that would have happened naturally are allowed to happen within His established and enforced limits. In other words, things are not allowed to get out of hand, to run their full, natural course. The only things that happen are things God is willing to let happen. In this sense, the things that happen are, at least to some degree, arbitrary and unnatural. However, for these modified, regulated things to happen, the participation of one or more of the following is required - 1) Satan, 2) other evil beings, or 3) inanimate forces. Of course, it is assumed that in the case of number 3, inanimate forces are self-acting, that they can behave destructively independent of God and yet still be managed by God so as not to exceed His established limits. In all of this, God is not to be blamed or credited for the things that happen.
you seem to have a talent for coming up with unique interpretations to what is written. smile

Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118398
08/30/09 05:08 AM
08/30/09 05:08 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Ellen White, quoting Jesus
No human being is excusable for having a conscience that will permit him to cause pain or suffering to any of God's children. Christ declares: "Whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offenses! for it must needs be that offenses come; but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh!" {RH, January 24, 1899 par. 20}[The Review and Herald]

We are to count it "all joy" when we have trials and temptations, because these work patience in us. If we are a person by whom others are offended, perhaps we are, as it were, a part of the fire which tries and purifies their faith. However, woe unto us for being the cause of their trials! (You may interpret her statement differently, this is just one application that I see. Mrs. White herself applies this statement to multiple unrelated situations.)

Jesus needed to die for us to fulfill the plan for our redemption. It was prophesied that He would be given stripes, and would be bruised for us. Those prophecies needed to be fulfilled. God's purpose would never have been accomplished without these "acts of violence."

But Jesus is here warning, "Woe to the man by whom the offense cometh!"
having read this in a hurry, i can buy that.

you had me a little worried with the way you had presented it before. smile (you are saying that it was all their own idea and not God-prompted, right?)

Page 86 of 91 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!