HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 89 of 91 1 2 87 88 89 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #118489
08/31/09 03:47 PM
08/31/09 03:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, here's the quote:

Quote:
Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this." [Matthew 13:27, 28.] All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares.

This is literal.

Note:

1.There was a literal Adam and Eve who were in a literal garden that originally literally had no noxious plants.
2.The question is asked how the plants got there.
3.The answer is given that Satan "by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares."

She makes an application of these facts to address a given situation.

Regarding the cursing of the ground, God did not say "Ground, be cursed" but "The ground is cursed." This isn't so clear in English, but here's a translation from another language that brings out this point:

Quote:
17E ao homem disse: Porquanto deste ouvidos ã voz de tua mulher, e comeste da árvore de que te ordenei dizendo: Não comerás dela; maldita é a terra por tua causa; em fadiga comerás dela todos os dias da tua vida.(João Ferreira de Almeida Atualizada, a Portuguese translation)

It says "maldita é a terra" (Cursed is the ground) as opposed to "maldita seja a terra por tua causa" (Cursed be the ground).

So the ground was cursed, meaning plants came up which were different than how God originally designed them, and EGW explains how these came to be this way. This explains what the cursing of the earth means. This principle can be applied to many other situations.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #118490
08/31/09 03:59 PM
08/31/09 03:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:Can you find something that speaks more clearly to the source of the thorns? To say that because Adam sinned, thorns just happened all by themselves because God withdrew His protection from the forces of nature just doesn't satisfy me. I know it cannot be any more true than that life spontaneously generated from primordial soup. Somebody designed and/or created those thorns.

The quote cited speaks to this. It starts out saying, "Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge, which meant disobedience to God." and goes on, "The master answered, 'An enemy hath done this.' [Matt. 13:27, 28.] All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares."

The same principle applies to thorns as to poison. That is, "Every thorny herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares."

Satan designed these things (which should be clear simply by considering his character.)

It doesn't make sense to say that the quote should be limited to say that Satan created the noxious plants, but God created the thorny ones. She gives the underlying principle, which is "Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system." From this, what she said afterward follows, as does the fact that God did not create thorny plants. Or ravenous beasts. Or insects that sting and bite and bring disease. All of these things come from the evil one, God's enemy, and are in harmony with his character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118499
08/31/09 08:47 PM
08/31/09 08:47 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Teresa,

Context is important. I know you think this is "man's opinion," at least you rebuked me last time for emphasizing context, but I am unruffled in this. Context is important.

The first quote there....what is its context? What "death" is Mrs. White speaking of? What were the "tares" that Jesus spoke of? Yes...it was a parable. What did it mean? Was Jesus speaking of literal weeds? Nay. He was speaking of people.

Here's the context:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There is to be a sanitarium in Australia, and altogether new methods of treating the sick are to be practiced. Drug medication must be left out of the question if the human physician would receive the diploma written and issued in heaven. There are many physicians who will never receive this diploma unless they learn in the school of the great Physician. This means that they must unlearn and cast away the supposed wonderful knowledge of how to treat disease with poisonous drugs. They must go to God's great laboratory of nature, and there learn the simplest methods of using the remedies which the Lord has furnished. When drugs are thrown aside, when fermented liquor of all kinds is discarded, when God's remedies--sunshine, pure air, water, and good food--are used, there will be far fewer deaths and a far greater number of cures. {16MR 247.1}

Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge, which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this." [Matt. 13:27, 28.] All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {16MR 247.2}

Then shall physicians continue to resort to drugs which leave a deadly evil in the system, destroying that life which Christ came to restore? Christ's remedies cleanse the system. But Satan has tempted man to introduce into the system that which weakens the human machinery, clogging and destroying the fine, beautiful arrangements of God. The drugs administered to the sick do not restore, but destroy. Drugs never cure. Instead, they place in the system seeds which bear a very bitter harvest. {16MR 247.3} [Manuscript Releases Volume Sixteen [Nos. 1186-1235] (1990)]

So, the first quote is not directly related to our current discussion. It is speaking of "drugs" as "seeds of death," and referring to the death of people. Nor are the words "thorns" or "thistles" ever mentioned at all. The word "noxious" refers to the poisonous plants. God, when He cursed the ground, did not mention poisonous plants. Only plants with thorns and thistles.

The second and third quotes both state facts related to the transgression, but have no specifics as to how these things came about. They are relevant to our discussion, but not very enlightening. Basically they say that we see nature marred as a result of sin. This is true. God cursed the ground as a result of sin. Satan was given more freedom to roam the earth as a result of sin. But how exactly came the thorns and thistles? Neither of these statements indicates an answer.

Can you find something that speaks more clearly to the source of the thorns? To say that because Adam sinned, thorns just happened all by themselves because God withdrew His protection from the forces of nature just doesn't satisfy me. I know it cannot be any more true than that life spontaneously generated from primordial soup. Somebody designed and/or created those thorns.
gc, where exactly do you believe drugs come from? where does opium come from, for example? isnt it a drug? and isnt it derived from poppy seeds? how about valium?

what exactly do you understand "amalgamation" to mean?
Quote:
Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {16MR 247.2}
and how do you understand this
Quote:
He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature,... {CH 460.2}
Quote:
The first quote there....what is its context? What "death" is Mrs. White speaking of? What were the "tares" that Jesus spoke of? Yes...it was a parable. What did it mean? Was Jesus speaking of literal weeds? Nay. He was speaking of people.
it seems that your interpretation is what is out of context in the quotes under discussion. she is pointing out Gods natural remedies vs drugs which are derived from "noxious herbs".
Quote:
There is to be a sanitarium in Australia, and altogether new methods of treating the sick are to be practiced. Drug medication must be left out of the question if the human physician would receive the diploma written and issued in heaven. There are many physicians who will never receive this diploma unless they learn in the school of the great Physician. This means that they must unlearn and cast away the supposed wonderful knowledge of how to treat disease with poisonous drugs. They must go to God's great laboratory of nature, and there learn the simplest methods of using the remedies which the Lord has furnished. When drugs are thrown aside, when fermented liquor of all kinds is discarded, when God's remedies--sunshine, pure air, water, and good food--are used, there will be far fewer deaths and a far greater number of cures. {16MR 247.1}
so it isnt that i have taken anything out of context, it is that you have a different way of reading it, which is your perogative, but in no sense makes me wrong. it merely means we disagree.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118515
08/31/09 11:42 PM
08/31/09 11:42 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

You appear to be taking the quote out of its context also. Mrs. White is referring to human death when she speaks of "the seeds of death." Do we agree on this? If you want to interpret as seeds of plants with thorns and thistles, that is your personal choice, but you will convince me that is what she really meant. Again, there was not a single mention of thorns and thistles in the statement.

Would you agree with me that Mrs. White is not speaking on the topic of plants in that statement? Would you further agree with me that she is not addressing the curse spoken in Eden?

What she is saying is that Satan has managed to invent poisonous plants which have caused much death and suffering among humankind. I do not disagree in the least. I think that Satan also managed to invent the dinosaurs too, by inspiring people with his ideas. But dinosaurs were not mentioned in the Edenic Curse, and neither were poisonous plants. God said nothing about marijuana, opium poppies, poison wood (powerful enough it can kill), poison sumac, poisonous mushrooms, or any other such. He specifically said "thorns" and "thistles". If you do some gardening, you will have a solid understanding of the meaning of the curse.

On the other hand, perhaps you can find a statement for me that says Satan engineered the thorns.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118523
09/01/09 01:56 AM
09/01/09 01:56 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Tom,

Would you agree with me that Mrs. White is not speaking on the topic of plants in that statement?

What she is saying is that Satan has managed to invent poisonous plants which have caused much death and suffering among humankind. I do not disagree in the least.
gc you seem to be contradicting yourself in these two statements.

you first say that she is not referring to plants in this quote
Quote:
Christ never planted the seeds of death in the system. Satan planted these seeds when he tempted Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge, which meant disobedience to God. Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares?" The master answered, "An enemy hath done this." [Matthew 13:27, 28.] All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {16MR 247.2}
Then shall physicians continue to resort to drugs which leave a deadly evil in the system, destroying that life which Christ came to restore? Christ's remedies cleanse the system. But Satan has tempted man to introduce into the system that which weakens the human machinery, clogging and destroying the fine, beautiful arrangements of God. The drugs administered to the sick do not restore, but destroy. Drugs never cure. Instead, they place in the system seeds which bear a very bitter harvest. {16MR 247.3}
but your next statement says she is referring to poisonous plants...

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #118553
09/01/09 05:44 AM
09/01/09 05:44 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Teresa,

You tell me. What is Mrs. White's topic in said quote?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #118569
09/01/09 03:47 PM
09/01/09 03:47 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Teresa,

You tell me. What is Mrs. White's topic in said quote?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
you are the one refuting our understanding of what she says. so i would think you should say what it is you believe her point is if you understand it differently than the way we are reading it.

post 118515
You appear to be taking the quote out of its context also. ....

Would you agree with me that Mrs. White is not speaking on the topic of plants in that statement? Would you further agree with me that she is not addressing the curse spoken in Eden?...

Re: plagues [Re: kland] #118570
09/01/09 03:49 PM
09/01/09 03:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I hear you saying:

When God withdraws His protection, the bad things that would have happened naturally are allowed to happen within His established and enforced limits.

T: I'd put it this way. God protects us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen, and when He is caused to remove His protection, the things which He was protecting us from can happen.

This implies “inanimate forces” are self-acting, that they can act destructively without God’s management. I realize you aggressively oppose this idea, be that as it may, you imply it by insisting God that does not employ the forces of nature as weapons in His arsenal, and that instead He simply permits nature to naturally act destructively. You can’t have it both ways, Tom. Either God uses nature like a smart bomb to cause pinpoint death and destruction or He gives nature permission to do it (implying nature is self-acting when God permits).

Quote:
M: In other words, things are not allowed to get out of hand, to run their full, natural course.

T: This seems rather vague.

Wrested from its context I would agree. However, if you take it in context it makes perfect sense. You and I both believe God does not totally withdraw His protection and allow the forces of nature to run its full, natural course because the result would the death and destruction of everything and everyone. The question is who or what would be managing the forces of nature while they are destroying the planet? I believe it would be God. I don’t know what you believe.

Quote:
M: The only things that happen are things God is willing to let happen.

T: This communicates no useful information. Nothing ever happens that God doesn't let happen. God is omnipotent. This should just be skipped.

Since “God is love” is so obvious, should it be skipped? No way! Just because something is obvious it does not mean it should be skipped.

Quote:
M: In this sense, the things that happen are, at least to some degree, arbitrary and unnatural.

T: No, this is wrong. I'm not saying this. I don't see how this makes any sense. If God permits the unseen dangers from which He is protecting us to occur, how can this be seen as arbitrary or unnatural? It seems to me you have this completely backwards. It's certainly not anywhere near being accurate as a representation of what I've been saying.

You imply it, Tom. You argue that if God totally withdrew His protection things would exceed His established limits. The fact God must work to prevent the forces of nature from totally annihilating everything, which is its default setting, means the regulated results are unnatural and therefore arbitrary.

Quote:
M: However, for these modified, regulated things to happen, the participation of one or more of the following is required - 1) Satan, 2) other evil beings, or 3) inanimate forces.

T: It doesn't make sense to say that inanimate forces "participate." The word "participate" implies volition, which inanimate forces don't have.

It’s what you said. "Bad things may be caused by . . . inanimate forces." Since you haven’t explained how you think inanimate forces cause death and destruction it must be assumed you are implying they are self-acting.

Quote:
M: Of course, it is assumed that in the case of number 3, inanimate forces are self-acting, that they can behave destructively independent of God and yet still be managed by God so as not to exceed His established limits.

T: Of course? No, it's not assumed at all. You're communicating the opposite of what I'm saying.

You haven’t explained it yet, thus the assumption is perfectly logical. Again, you said if Satan isn’t responsible for causing death and destruction, then either “other evil beings” or “inanimate forces” may be causing it.

Quote:
M: In all of this, God is not to be blamed or credited for the things that happen.

T: You're making something very simple convoluted and garbled, IMO. Just put it this way. God protects us from a thousand dangers, all of them unseen. When He is caused to remove His protection from us, these unseen dangers may impact us. That's a simple, short, accurate summary of what I've been saying.

It is not accurate. It doesn’t explain who or what is managing the forces of nature when they act destructively. You have plainly stated that it is certainly not God. Therefore, who or what is? Please answer this question. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #118575
09/01/09 04:07 PM
09/01/09 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I also believe Satan is responsible for tampering with nature and causing the existence of noxious plants, toxic viruses and diseases, etc. However, I also believe God is managing the laws of nature that make it possible for Satan to pervert it. Of course, God permits Satan to pervert nature within His established and enforced limits. In other words, God does not allow Satan to do anything He isn't willing to let happen. In this sense, there isn't anything random or arbitrary about the bad things that happen. They are the result of God controlling the outcome of the choices and actions of evil men and angels. In some cases, however, God acts Himself. The Flood is one example. On other occasions, He commands holy men or angels, acting under His authority, to punish and destroy sinners. The destruction of Jericho and its inhabitants is one example.

Re: plagues [Re: kland] #118579
09/01/09 04:37 PM
09/01/09 04:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: teresaq
you are the one refuting our understanding of what she says. so i would think you should say what it is you believe her point is if you understand it differently than the way we are reading it.

If you don't know what the topic is, there is nothing to refute. There is in fact no disagreement. If I'm the only one making an assessment as to what the topic is (and I already gave this assessment), then unless an alternative is offered, it is presumed we are in agreement.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 89 of 91 1 2 87 88 89 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!