HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Re: SWINE FLU [Re: Rosangela] #119722
09/24/09 07:25 PM
09/24/09 07:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
There is a new product being marked to replace sports drinks for athlelets that is suppose to help with hydration. Reddrox

Our natural hydrating drink here is coconut water, also marketed as a sports drink because of its high potassium and mineral content.
Coconut water would be a health drink by the principle that if it is natural and taste bad, it must be healthy. :P

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: SWINE FLU [Re: vastergotland] #119747
09/25/09 05:24 PM
09/25/09 05:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Didn't you like the taste? As the Wiki article said, it is the second best-selling juice here in Brazil after orange juice.

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: Rosangela] #119748
09/25/09 05:30 PM
09/25/09 05:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Not the coconut water I had in Thailand, although I heard from fellow travelers that it taste better in other parts of the world. Maybe the taste changes depending on the particular coconut species and other factors that may play in. Also, it is likely that it is an aquired taste.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: SWINE FLU [Re: vastergotland] #119779
09/26/09 03:26 PM
09/26/09 03:26 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I have tried the coconut water from Thai coconut that can be purchased in the grocery store and didn't much care for the taste. I will give it another try sometime and see if it is any better.

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: crater] #119787
09/26/09 04:40 PM
09/26/09 04:40 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
The Wiki article says that coconuts from various parts of the world differ in taste due to the soil composition.
Interesting. It also says:

"Coconut water is also used as an intravenous fluid in some developing countries where medical saline is unavailable."

I'd never heard about that.

The article mentions the Vita Coco brand in the US. Is that the one you tried, crater? It's funny they flavorize the coconut water, as mentioned here. So it's possible the natural taste of coconut water wouldn't be attractive to people there. They have attained annual sales of $30–35 million as of August 2009.

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: Colin] #119792
09/26/09 05:36 PM
09/26/09 05:36 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
When I was purchasing the Rooibos, the gal at the herb shop introduced me to another SA herb, Honeybush(Cyclopia Intermedia) and I purchased an ounce to try. She said it was similar the Rooibos but sweeter. I liked them both.

Colin I never noticed a minty after taste after with the Rooibos.

It is nice to hear first hand info from those that have been to where the plants actually grow.

There use to be a tea that you could purchase at ABC or a SDA health food store. It was called Kaffir tea. It may have gone out of use as it may have been considered PIC to call something Kafir ? I found two items called Kafir tea on the web.

1. Kafir, lime leaves, Daun Jeruk Purut. (I don't recall Kafir tea tasting citrus like?)

2. Tjanelo, n pl. ama (From tjanela.) A kind used for sweeping for a broom; usually a plant like asparagus, or the so-called Kafir tea plant. A Zulu Kafir dictionary

I don't want to get to far off the forum discussion but as the SA teas are being discussed this might be of interest those interested in SDA trivia. smile

A while back I did a search as I wanted to find out what the ingredient was in Kafir tea. I never found out what it is, but I found an article where the author was describing his trip to Battle Creek, MI and drinking Kafir tea at the "San". Apparently he knew what Kafir tea should taste like? As I started reading, I thought this person knows how to write. I looked to see who the author was and discovered it to be Rudyard Kipling. If you are inclined here is the whole article about the The Curious City of Battle Creek. Otherwise here is a clipping from the article.

Quote:
The principal street of Battle Creek may be with-out amazing architectural beauty, but it is at least well lighted. On either curb is a row of "boulevard lights," the posts set fifty feet apart. They are good-looking posts, too, of simple, graceful design, each surmounted by a cluster of five white globes. This admirable system of lighting is in very general use throughout all parts of the country excepting the East. It is used in all the Michigan cities I visited. I have been told that it was first installed in Minneapolis, but wherever it originated, it is one of a long list of things the East may learn from the West.

After driving about for a time we drew up. Looking out, I came to the conclusion that we had returned again to the railway station.

It was a station, but not the same one.

"This is the Grand Trunk Deepo," said the driver, opening the carriage door.

"I don't believe we'll bother to get out," I said. But the driver wanted us to.

"You ought to look at it," he insisted. "It's a very pretty station."

So we got out and looked at it, and were glad we did, for the driver was quite right. It was an unusually pretty station—a station superior to the other in all respects but one : it contained no Miss Daisy Buck.

After some further driving, we returned to the station where she was.

"I suppose we had better go to the Sanitarium for lunch?" I asked her.

"Not on your life," she replied. "If you go to the `San,' you won't feel like you 'd had anything to eat—that is, not if you 're good feeders."

"Where else is there to go ?" I asked.

"The Tavern," she advised. "You '11 get a first-class dinner there. You might have larger hotels in New York, but you have n't got any that 's more home-like. At least, that 's what I hear. I never was in New York myself, but I get the dope from the traveling men."

However, not for epicurean reasons, but because of curiosity, we wished to try a meal at the Sanitarium. Thither we drove in the hack, passing on our way the office of the "Good Health Publishing Company" and a small building bearing the sign, "The Coffee Parlor"—which may signify a Battle Creek substitute for a saloon. I do not know how coffee drinkers are regarded in that town, but I do know that, while there, I got neither tea nor coffee—unless "Postum" be coffee and "Kaffir Tea" be tea.

It was at the Sanitarium that I drank Kaffir Tea. I had it with my lunch. It looks like tea, and would probably taste like it, too, if they did n't let the Kaffirs steep so long. But they should use only fresh, young, tender Kaffirs; the old ones get too strong; they have too much bouquet. The one they used in my tea may have been slightly spoiled. I tasted him all afternoon.

The "San" is an enormous brick building like a vast summer hotel. It has an office which is utterly hotel-like, too, even to the chairs, scattered about, and the people sitting in them. Many of the people look perfectly well. Indeed, I saw one young woman who looked so well that I could n't take my eyes off from her while she remained in view. She was in the elevator when we went up to lunch. She looked at me with a speculative eye—a most engaging eye, it was—as though saying to herself : "Now there 's a promising young man. I might make it interesting for him if he would stay here for a while. But of course he 'd have to show me a physician's certificate stating that he was not subject to fits." My companion said that she looked at him a long while, too, but I doubt that. He was always claiming that they looked at him.

The people who run the Sanitarium are Seventh-Day Adventists, and as we arrived on Saturday it was the Sabbath there—a rather busy day, I take it, from the bulletin which was printed upon the back of the dinner menu :

7.20 A. M. Morning Worship in the Parlor.
7.40 to 8.40 A. M. BREAKFAST.
9.45 A. M. Sabbath School in the Chapel.
11 A. M. Preaching Service in the Chapel.
12.30 to 2 P. M. DINNER.
3.30 P. M. Missionary talk.
5.30 to 6 P. M. Cashier's office open.
6 to 6.45 P. M. SUPPER.
6.45 P. M. March for guests and patients only.
8 P. M. In the Gymnasium. Basket Ball Game. Admission 25 cents.
No food to be taken from the Dining Room,

The last injunction was not disobeyed by us. We ate enough to satisfy our curiosity, and what we did not eat we left.

The menu at the Sanitarium is a curious thing. After each item are figures showing the proportion of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates contained in that article of food. Everything is weighed out exactly. There was no meat on the bill of fare, but substitutes were provided in the list of entrees: "Protose with Mayonnaise Dressing," "Nuttolene with Cranberry Sauce," and "Walnut Roast."

Suppose you had to decide between those three which would you take?

My companion took "Protose," while I elected for some reason to dally with the "Nuttolene." Then, neither of us liking what we got, we both tried "Walnut Roast." Even then we would not give up. I ordered a little "Malt Honey," while my companion called for a baked potato, saying: "I know what a potato is, anyhow!"

After that we had a little "Toasted Granose" and "Good Health Biscuit," washed down in my case by a gulp or two of "Kaffir Tea," and in his by "Hot Malted Nuts." I tried to get him to take "Kaffir Tea" with me, but, being to leeward of my cup, he declined. As nearly as we could figure it out afterward, he was far ahead of me in proteins and fats, but I was infinitely richer in carbohydrates. In our indigestions we stood absolutely even.

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: Rosangela] #119793
09/26/09 05:42 PM
09/26/09 05:42 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I think that I have heard about the coconut water being used IV. Could have been during WWII?

I tried the real thing, purchased a young coconut and opened it up and use the juice in a smoothie. Scrapped out the meat for something else.

Have you tried it Rosangela?

Seems like it would be the drink of choice over water in some areas, where water was questionable.

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: crater] #119796
09/26/09 06:25 PM
09/26/09 06:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
"In our indigestions we stood absolutely even."... LOL Healthy food indeed.

Galatians 2

Re: SWINE FLU [Re: vastergotland] #119804
09/26/09 11:52 PM
09/26/09 11:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Not the coconut water I had in Thailand, although I heard from fellow travelers that it taste better in other parts of the world. Maybe the taste changes depending on the particular coconut species and other factors that may play in. Also, it is likely that it is an aquired taste.

I'll agree that Thai coconut water has been less tasty for me as well. The best I've had was in Belize. It may be the coconuts are different, as Rosangela has mentioned, but I think it has more to do with knowing when and how to harvest the coconuts.

Thai people are impatient. They pick most everything green. I question whether or not they would know the best time to pick a coconut. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: SWINE FLU [Re: crater] #119805
09/26/09 11:55 PM
09/26/09 11:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I tried the real thing, purchased a young coconut and opened it up and use the juice in a smoothie.

Hi crater. What do you mean by smoothie? That you've mixed it with something?

Quote:
Scrapped out the meat for something else.

If the coconut is very young and the meat is still like a gel, I just eat it after I drink the water. I find it delicious!

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!