HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D Asscherick Sermonettes #119982
09/30/09 06:40 PM
09/30/09 06:40 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Here is some youtube pieces that are likely to get a bunch of you to heartily disagree with Asschericks theology.

Monday Manna 1
Monday Manna 4

Monday Manna 5

Monday Manna 8

Last edited by västergötland; 09/30/09 08:01 PM. Reason: Added links

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120019
10/01/09 04:23 PM
10/01/09 04:23 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
västergötland, thanks for sharing PanDeVidaProductions's Channel with David Asscherick. Just listened to the first vignette. Great message.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: crater] #120060
10/03/09 06:38 PM
10/03/09 06:38 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I'm listening to it as well, and am enjoying it very much. Thanks Thomas smile
God Bless,
Will

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Will] #120101
10/04/09 08:33 PM
10/04/09 08:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I think I didn't see anything wrong with his theology in these sermonettes.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120114
10/05/09 06:06 AM
10/05/09 06:06 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Then your not included in the bunch who are likely to do so. smile

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120117
10/05/09 07:57 AM
10/05/09 07:57 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
What about you västergötland, how did you find his sermons? smile

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: crater] #120125
10/05/09 02:14 PM
10/05/09 02:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, what was said that you thought would draw fire from some of us here?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120137
10/05/09 05:12 PM
10/05/09 05:12 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Crater, I found myself surprisingly liking the sermons.

Mike, I was thinking that there is someone here who "Those of us who think we are not quite as bad as the others and, yea, we are bad but not as bad, look at this stone that I have carved: look at my own works. I have not eaten cheese for many years, I dont listen to rock music, and I dont go to theathers. Look at me, look at my [point to stone], admire me. Be in awe of my holiness." Nr 5 about 5 minutes.

And there are several novel sized threads on this one; "And Jesus has the temerity to say to these guys; You are all, already, completely clean. Forgive me for being so bold here, but the only clusion, conclusion that I feel that we can safely come to, is this conclusion and it is going to make some of you uncomfortable for which I dont appologize. And that is that cleanliness in Christ must precede christian character perfection. Did you get that? There was kind of a scary amen there, kind of a .. 'amen'. And some people tried to say amen and nothing came out, their like 'a... What did he say?'" Nr 4 1.40 minutes

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120146
10/05/09 07:16 PM
10/05/09 07:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
". . . cleanliness in Christ must precede christian character perfection."

What does he mean? In what sense is cleanliness and character perfection different?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120149
10/05/09 08:12 PM
10/05/09 08:12 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
There is a whole 10 minutes of sermon on precisely this topic Mike, listen in. wink

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120152
10/05/09 08:51 PM
10/05/09 08:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

What does he mean? In what sense is cleanliness and character perfection different?

I understand "clealiness" refers to imputed righteousness, while "Christian character perfection" refers to imparted righteousness.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120155
10/05/09 09:42 PM
10/05/09 09:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Me too. But what does he mean? Can God justify imputing the righteousness of Christ to the sinner's account if he is practicing known sin? Ellen wrote:

But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ, no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ's righteousness while practicing known sins or neglecting known duties. God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. {FW 100.1}

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120161
10/05/09 10:45 PM
10/05/09 10:45 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
This is what DA says:

"So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, 'Ye are clean.' Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words." {DA 646.3}

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120166
10/06/09 07:04 AM
10/06/09 07:04 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
See, I was right. laugh

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120173
10/06/09 03:24 PM
10/06/09 03:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I think R's explanation is on the money. Think of it this way: Cleanliness in Christ before cleanliness through Christ.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #120180
10/06/09 03:46 PM
10/06/09 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, in what way do you think you were right?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120183
10/06/09 03:54 PM
10/06/09 03:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela and Arnold, when do you think God justifies sinners - before or after the crucifixion of their old man habits and practices? Ellen wrote:

God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. (FW 100)

Every sin must be renounced as the hateful thing that crucified the Lord of life and glory, and the believer must have a progressive experience by continually doing the works of Christ. It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained. (1SM 397)

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120194
10/06/09 07:36 PM
10/06/09 07:36 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, Asschericks sermon did prove controversial. laugh

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120207
10/07/09 03:24 AM
10/07/09 03:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Rosangela and Arnold, when do you think God justifies sinners - before or after the crucifixion of their old man habits and practices?

Sometimes before, sometimes after. The crucifixion of the "old man habits and practices" is not the determining factor in justification. The FW 100 quote illustrates it perfectly:
Quote:
God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. (FW 100)

Before justification happens, God requires crucifixion of the old man spirit. When one fully surrenders, whether or not he has full knowledge of every bad habit, he is justified.

To remain justified, one must remain fully surrendered to God. And when one is fully surrendered to God, he will follow Him wherever He goes. That is the ultimate motivation of the true believer - to be with God always. And how does that look from the outside? Continual obedience.

But that can only happen if one is fully surrendered and justified. Hence, cleanliness of heart (in Christ) precedes cleansing from every bad habit and practice.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #120208
10/07/09 06:28 AM
10/07/09 06:28 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
What about you guys try to relate all this a little less to the novel-sized threads from before and a little more to what the linked sermonettes or others from the same source acctually says?

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120214
10/07/09 02:27 PM
10/07/09 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
What about you guys try to relate all this a little less to the novel-sized threads from before and a little more to what the linked sermonettes or others from the same source acctually says?

Good idea. Here's what he wrote: ". . . cleanliness in Christ must precede christian character perfection."

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #120215
10/07/09 02:45 PM
10/07/09 02:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Rosangela and Arnold, when do you think God justifies sinners - before or after the crucifixion of their old man habits and practices?

Sometimes before, sometimes after. The crucifixion of the "old man habits and practices" is not the determining factor in justification. The FW 100 quote illustrates it perfectly:
Quote:

Before justification happens, God requires crucifixion of the old man spirit. When one fully surrenders, whether or not he has full knowledge of every bad habit, he is justified.

To remain justified, one must remain fully surrendered to God. And when one is fully surrendered to God, he will follow Him wherever He goes. That is the ultimate motivation of the true believer - to be with God always. And how does that look from the outside? Continual obedience.

But that can only happen if one is fully surrendered and justified. Hence, cleanliness of heart (in Christ) precedes cleansing from every bad habit and practice.

Arnold, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying sinners are justified and saved in their sins and then they gradually work on outgrowing their sinful habits and practices. Whereas Ellen wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on “kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.” (SD 300)

"Every sin must be renounced as the hateful thing that crucified the Lord of life and glory, and the believer must have a progressive experience by continually doing the works of Christ. It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained." (1SM 397)

Elsewhere she wrote, "One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ." {SC 29.1}

She confirms this insight (i.e. sinful habits and practices must be confessed and crucified before God can justify and save sinners) in the following passages:

Quote:
We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ. (5T 47)

But Jesus was ever presenting before them that these [defective character traits] must be given up, emptied from the soul, that he might implant a new nature therein. (RH 10-5-1897)

You have confessed your sins, and in heart put them away. You have resolved to give yourself to God. Now go to Him, and ask that He will wash away your sins and give you a new heart. Then believe that He does this because He has promised. (SC 49)

In the Sermon on the Mount, Christ has given a definition of true sanctification. He lived a life of holiness. He was an object lesson of what His followers are to be. We are to be crucified with Christ, buried with Him, and then quickened by His Spirit. Then we are filled with His life. (3SM 202)

The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. He who is trying to reach heaven by his own works in keeping the law is attempting an impossibility. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit. (DA 172)

In the new birth the heart is brought into harmony with God, as it is brought into accord with His law. When this mighty change has taken place in the sinner, he has passed from death unto life, from sin unto holiness, from transgression and rebellion to obedience and loyalty. The old life of alienation from God has ended; the new life of reconciliation, of faith and love, has begun. Then “the righteousness of the law” will “be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:4. And the language of the soul will be: “O how love I Thy law! it is my meditation all the day.” Psalm 119:97. (GC 468)

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120226
10/07/09 04:32 PM
10/07/09 04:32 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Good idea. Here's what he wrote: ". . . cleanliness in Christ must precede christian character perfection."

Acctually, that is what I transcribed from the youtube file. Had it been in written form I would have quickly cut and paste the following explanation of what he means. Alas, it isnt so easy and therefore I again ask you to look at the original and then we can discuss what you think of the full presentation.

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120248
10/08/09 03:16 AM
10/08/09 03:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe cleanliness in Christ happens when we crucify our old man habits and practices. Then we must work to maintain it in Christ while at same time daily maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. This is the state Jesus wants us to "stay in".

He seems to think crucifying our old man habits and practices happens gradually sometime after Jesus declares us legally "clean".

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120259
10/08/09 06:22 AM
10/08/09 06:22 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I found Asscherick's Sermonettes refreshing. But the coments here . . . sleep

But maybe you did " "egg one on" just a little! wink

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: crater] #120260
10/08/09 11:19 AM
10/08/09 11:19 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Yes crater, also known as trolling and forbidden on many forums.
_____

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120261
10/08/09 12:53 PM
10/08/09 12:53 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
He seems to think crucifying our old man habits and practices happens gradually sometime after Jesus declares us legally "clean".

Mike,

The text is not even speaking about justification at the beginning of the Christian walk. It's speaking about justification after we have committed sins along our Christian walk. Christ says that "he who has bathed [was justified at the beginning of his Christian walk] does not need to wash, except for his feet" [needs Christ's justifying grace again after having been led into evil]. Christ refers to the latter when He says, "You are clean."

We are considered perfect in Christ before we are perfect in our behavior.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: gordonb1] #120262
10/08/09 02:41 PM
10/08/09 02:41 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
_____

Well, Gordon, that does not sound so gracious. ROFL

I think Vaster accomplished exactly what he knew he would by speaking so teasingly at the start of this thread. Those who took the bait--got hooked!

I watched the first one, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a blessing. Had Vaster not teased me into it, I doubt I would have taken the time to see it.

So, I appreciated the "trolling"... smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120263
10/08/09 02:57 PM
10/08/09 02:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I agree that the passage is addressing sins committed after accepting Jesus as Savior. Such ongoing repentance and forgiveness is, unfortunately, all to common. However, Jesus envisioned the end of sinning and repenting. Grace and cleansing are not substitutes for ceasing from sin and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. I like how Ellen describes it in the following passage:

Quote:
At the words, "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me," Peter surrendered his pride and self-will. He could not endure the thought of separation from Christ; that would have been death to him. "Not my feet only," he said, "but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit." {DA 646.2}

These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words. {DA 646.3}

Like Peter and his brethren, we too have been washed in the blood of Christ, yet often through contact with evil the heart's purity is soiled. We must come to Christ for His cleansing grace. Peter shrank from bringing his soiled feet in contact with the hands of his Lord and Master; but how often we bring our sinful, polluted hearts in contact with the heart of Christ! How grievous to Him is our evil temper, our vanity and pride! Yet all our infirmity and defilement we must bring to Him. He alone can wash us clean. We are not prepared for communion with Him unless cleansed by His efficacy. {DA 646.4}

Jesus said to the disciples, "Ye are clean, but not all." He had washed the feet of Judas, but the heart had not been yielded to Him. It was not purified. Judas had not submitted himself to Christ. {DA 649.1}

The act of washing their feet yielded simultaneous results, namely, the cessation of sinning and the resumption of righteousness. Jesus did not declare them legally clean or sinless before it was indeed a fact. Justification (forgiveness) and sanctification (righteousness) are realities that happen simultaneously. One is the reflection of the other. Jesus declared them legally righteous because they were in reality righteous.

Pastor Asscherick made it clear in his message he believes Jesus declared them legally sinless though in reality they were very sinful and defective. Ellen, however, said the act of washing their feet melted their hearts and restored them to the righteousness they forfeited when they gave themselves over to "alienation, jealousy, and pride". Jesus cannot declare someone legally clean while they are in throes of sinning against God and man. If such a thing were possible Jesus need not have died on the cross. He could have simply declared everyone legally sinless and ended the GC then and there. Justification is not a substitute for sanctification; instead, it is an acknowledgment of it.

PS - Of course I'm referring to known sins as opposed to sins of ignorance. The question, however, is, What constitutes a sin of ignorance? Were the disciples ignorant of the sins for which Jesus washed their feet? Were they clueless of the sins they were guilty of committing? No! No one can commit such sins without realizing they are guilty of wrongdoing. True, over time people harden their hearts beyond the ability to feel guilt and shame and are able to indulge such sins without ill effect; however, this insight does not disprove the point.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120270
10/08/09 08:00 PM
10/08/09 08:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Pastor Asscherick made it clear in his message he believes Jesus declared them legally sinless though in reality they were very sinful and defective.

I think he refers to the fact that Jesus said, "You are clean" before the disciples forsook Him and Peter denied Him. The point is, He knew they would do that.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: gordonb1] #120271
10/08/09 09:39 PM
10/08/09 09:39 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

_____
Trolling? Am I to understand that you find Asschericks preaching fits one or more of the following then? "controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages"?

Controversial for some, obviously. But as the other thread shows, Asscherick is presently one of the movers of this denomination so his preaching would be considered mainstream for that reason alone. Off-topic? Hardly as it started a new topic. The post was the topic. Irrelevant? Not if you are a christian.
With an intent of provoking an emotional response? Quite failed in such case. I havn't seen any emotional responses in this thread...

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120272
10/08/09 09:49 PM
10/08/09 09:49 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Pastor Asscherick made it clear in his message he believes Jesus declared them legally sinless though in reality they were very sinful and defective.

I think he refers to the fact that Jesus said, "You are clean" before the disciples forsook Him and Peter denied Him. The point is, He knew they would do that.
What about the point that you cannot ask anyone to continue doing something that they are not already doing?

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120279
10/08/09 11:41 PM
10/08/09 11:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Thomas,

Sorry, I didn't understand your question. Could you please clarify?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120285
10/09/09 07:18 AM
10/09/09 07:18 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes, the motif Asscherick gives himself for saying what he does about the cleansing.

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120290
10/09/09 11:57 AM
10/09/09 11:57 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Do you refer to the point at which he says, "How can you remain in Christ if you don't believe you are in Christ?"

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120293
10/09/09 12:05 PM
10/09/09 12:05 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes

Galatians 2

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: vastergotland] #120315
10/10/09 05:49 PM
10/10/09 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The question is - How can it be said people are in Christ while they are in the throes of known sin?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120321
10/10/09 10:26 PM
10/10/09 10:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Are we fully conscious of our own flaws?
How do you see the episode with the disciples and Jesus' words: "You are clean"?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120323
10/10/09 11:16 PM
10/10/09 11:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If we are not conscious of our cultivated sinful habits and practices, the question is - Why not? Also, what types of sins fall into this category?

And, I understand "Ye are clean" in the following way:

Quote:
At the words, "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me," Peter surrendered his pride and self-will. He could not endure the thought of separation from Christ; that would have been death to him. "Not my feet only," he said, "but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit." {DA 646.2}

These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words. {DA 646.3}

Like Peter and his brethren, we too have been washed in the blood of Christ, yet often through contact with evil the heart's purity is soiled. We must come to Christ for His cleansing grace. Peter shrank from bringing his soiled feet in contact with the hands of his Lord and Master; but how often we bring our sinful, polluted hearts in contact with the heart of Christ! How grievous to Him is our evil temper, our vanity and pride! Yet all our infirmity and defilement we must bring to Him. He alone can wash us clean. We are not prepared for communion with Him unless cleansed by His efficacy. {DA 646.4}

Jesus said to the disciples, "Ye are clean, but not all." He had washed the feet of Judas, but the heart had not been yielded to Him. It was not purified. Judas had not submitted himself to Christ. {DA 649.1}

"At the words, 'If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me,' Peter surrendered his pride and self-will." Peter confessed and crucified his sins before Jesus washed his feet. He was already "clean" when Jesus washed his feet. Of course, watching Jesus wash the feet of the other disciples contributed to his desire to confess and crucify his sins. In this sense, confession and cleansing happened simultaneously. I do not believe Jesus taught sinners are clean in the sins. He declared them clean because they were clean, that is, they had confessed and crucified their sins.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120326
10/11/09 12:28 AM
10/11/09 12:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The question is - How can it be said people are in Christ while they are in the throes of known sin?

There is no known sin in Christ.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #120327
10/11/09 12:42 AM
10/11/09 12:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, I agree. Does it mean, then, that believers who commit a known sin do so because they failed to stay in Christ? And, does Jesus declare them "clean" while they are committing a known sin? I got the impression from listening to Pastor A that he believes the disciples were committing known sins and Jesus declared them "clean" in spite of it.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120337
10/11/09 01:17 PM
10/11/09 01:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike, Jesus said, "He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit."

About this, Ellen White said, "He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace."

When had Peter been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness, so that he could be described as "clean," except for his feet?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120347
10/11/09 02:59 PM
10/11/09 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I'm guessing here but I suspect the disciples were washed during the 3 years they spent with Jesus learning the truths that set sinners free. Ellen wrote the following about the "great fountain":

Quote:
The Lord Jesus is very near to those who thus appreciate His gracious gifts, tracing all their good things back to the benevolent, loving, care-taking God, and recognizing Him as the great Fountain of all comfort and consolation, the inexhaustible Source of grace. {CG 149.1}

These truths of vital importance are to test the world; and yet in our own country there are cities, villages, and towns that have never heard the warning message. Young men who feel stirred by the appeals that have been made for help in this great work of advancing the cause of God make some advance moves, but do not get the burden of the work upon them sufficiently to accomplish what they might. They are willing to do a small work which does not require special effort. Therefore they do not learn to place their whole dependence upon God and by living faith draw from the great Fountain and Source of light and strength in order that their efforts may prove wholly successful. {3T 202.2}

Those who appreciate the word will teach as disciples who have been sitting at the feet of Jesus and have accustomed themselves to learn of Him. In the place of bringing into our schools books containing the suppositions of the world's great authors, they will say: Tempt me not to disregard the greatest Author and the greatest Teacher, through whom I have everlasting life. He never mistakes. He is the great Fountain head whence all wisdom flows. Then let every teacher sow the seed of truth in the minds of students. Christ is the standard Teacher. {6T 160.1}

As the weary traveler seeks the spring in the desert and, finding it, quenches his burning thirst, so will the Christian thirst for and obtain the pure water of life, of which Christ is the fountain. {MB 19.2}

As we discern the perfection of our Saviour's character we shall desire to become wholly transformed and renewed in the image of His purity. The more we know of God, the higher will be our ideal of character and the more earnest our longing to reflect His likeness. A divine element combines with the human when the soul reaches out after God and the longing heart can say, "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him." Psalm 62:5. {MB 19.3}

If you have a sense of need in your soul, if you hunger and thirst after righteousness, this is an evidence that Christ has wrought upon your heart, in order that He may be sought unto to do for you, through the endowment of the Holy Spirit, those things which it is impossible for you to do for yourself. We need not seek to quench our thirst at shallow streams; for the great fountain is just above us, of whose abundant waters we may freely drink, if we will rise a little higher in the pathway of faith. {MB 19.4}

The words of God are the wellsprings of life. As you seek unto those living springs you will, through the Holy Spirit, be brought into communion with Christ. Familiar truths will present themselves to your mind in a new aspect, texts of Scripture will burst upon you with a new meaning as a flash of light, you will see the relation of other truths to the work of redemption, and you will know that Christ is leading you, a divine Teacher is at your side. {MB 20.1}

Jesus said, "The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14. As the Holy Spirit opens to you the truth you will treasure up the most precious experiences and will long to speak to others of the comforting things that have been revealed to you. When brought into association with them you will communicate some fresh thought in regard to the character or the work of Christ. You will have some fresh revelation of His pitying love to impart to those who love Him and to those who love Him not. {MB 20.2}

They were "every whit clean" by the time they were guilty of "alienation, jealousy, and pride". That is, they full well understood their guilt. They were not ignorant of their sins. They knew perfectly well they were sinning. Their willful acts of sin contaminated them. They required additional cleansing to help them see their sins in the proper light. Observing Jesus humble Himself washing their dirty feet opened their eyes to the truth needed to restore them to their former state of cleanliness. Such a state can be retained only through constant vigilant watchfulness while abiding in Jesus. If we neglect such thoroughness of faithfulness we will sin.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120352
10/11/09 03:15 PM
10/11/09 03:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
OK, then they were clean before they were perfect. I mean, they were still growing, and could manifest occasional weaknesses during the growth process, that is, temptation could occasionally lead them into evil. (To be clear, I'm not speking of willfully indulging sin, or of cherishing sin.)

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Rosangela] #120365
10/11/09 08:23 PM
10/11/09 08:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, I agree, they were cleansed of sin and evil through contact with Jesus and the truth. However, the use of the word "perfect" can be misleading. It can mean two different realities: 1) Complete in Christ, and 2) Mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Believers are born again complete with all the righteous fruits and attributes of God's character. Not one is missing. However, they are not born again mature. Like Jesus, they begin perfect (complete) and then they spend the rest of their lives becoming perfect (growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit). This includes recognizing and resisting sin, self, and Satan. It also involves preventing their confessed and crucified defects, weaknesses, and imperfections from resurfacing. They must work to keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind. Of course, eternity isn't long enough to exhaust our ability to become more and more perfect (mature), more and more like Jesus.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #120433
10/13/09 04:14 AM
10/13/09 04:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Does it mean, then, that believers who commit a known sin do so because they failed to stay in Christ?

Right. "In Him is no sin."

And, does Jesus declare them "clean" while they are committing a known sin?

No. That's why Judas wasn't clean.

I got the impression from listening to Pastor A that he believes the disciples were committing known sins and Jesus declared them "clean" in spite of it.

I'll comment on that if/when I get there.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #121091
10/28/09 10:06 PM
10/28/09 10:06 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I got the impression from listening to Pastor A that he believes the disciples were committing known sins and Jesus declared them "clean" in spite of it.

I've seen all the links from the OP and I don't have any problem.

I did not hear the teaching that the disciples were clean while they were sinning. What I got was that they were made clean, even though they had sinned.

But the overriding lesson I believe he was trying to get across was that if the disciples wanted to stay clean, they had to be made clean first. This is a lesson we all need to learn, especially the more conservative among us, which constitutes the majority of David A's audience, I think. We must understand that we are clean, and we remain clean, not by any righteous works we may have done, but in spite of the unrighteous works we have done countless times. Any cleanliness we may have is because of God's grace and mercy.

And for the left-leaning among us, note that cleanliness and salvation come from the same foundation - God's grace and mercy. They are fruits from the same tree.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #121095
10/29/09 01:46 AM
10/29/09 01:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, well said. I agree. Do you agree with what I wrote in my previous post?

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #121143
10/30/09 02:04 AM
10/30/09 02:04 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I believe I do agree with it, but with the possible exception of unknown sins. But that's for another thread.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: asygo] #121149
10/30/09 02:32 PM
10/30/09 02:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ah, yes, unknown sins. I'll start a new thread.

Re: D Asscherick Sermonettes [Re: Mountain Man] #121154
10/30/09 03:04 PM
10/30/09 03:04 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think you had already started one long ago. Maybe something along the lines of crucifying old man habits. Can't remember it clearly.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!