HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120477
10/14/09 06:20 AM
10/14/09 06:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Do you agree with Ellen's insight (posted earlier on this therad)?
Ellen yes, I guess those references are one way of closing the door on any further study.. Thats what the quote is there for, isnt it?

As I said before, for all of us who think sin is the problem rather than the fact that we are humans, may Calvin be right that God ordains the elect to have the desires they need to be happy in the coming kingdom.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120478
10/14/09 06:45 AM
10/14/09 06:45 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."
Quote:

Webster's defintion of metaphor: "a figure of speech containing an implied comparison, in which a word or phrase ordinarily and primarily used of one thing is applied to another (Ex.: the curtain of night, 'all the world‘s a stage')."
But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
For the sake of argument, let's suppose this is a metaphor. Could you please explain its meaning?
Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are. Further that since the literal reading of Jesus words regarding the patriarchs appears to be unacceptable and that His words on marriage should be treated by the same method as His words on the patriarchs are treated. Therefore it seems to me that you are asking me to explain to you why you are right, while I am still questioning whether you are right.

Either Jesus words on marriage and His words on the patriarchs both describe the world in a photographic way, no one is married in heaven and the patriarchs are living since God is their God.
Or Jesus words on marriage and His words on the patriarchs both describe the world like a map or a medieval painting, the patriarchs are dead but "have their names in the book of life" and people are still, (I dont know, its not like there is an established theology to back this up like there is one for the "living patriarchs"),,, what about cohabiting? :P

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120481
10/14/09 11:53 AM
10/14/09 11:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.

Rosangela,

I partly agree with you here, and partly disagree. Sleep is a metaphor for death, true enough. However, it is not applicable to every death. There are some deaths which would not be a "sleep."

As this topic deviates from the OP question, I have started a separate thread to explore this further. Jesus used the opportunity, while on the topic of the afterlife, to bring these concepts in. However, they are not directly related to the issue of marriage.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120482
10/14/09 01:51 PM
10/14/09 01:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Th: Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

It's "living" because the dead will wake up from their sleep. The metaphor is still death/sleep.

Quote:
R: But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
For the sake of argument, let's suppose this is a metaphor. Could you please explain its meaning?
Th: Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are.

Thomas, a metaphor must have a meaning. The meaning in the first case is that the patriarchs are alive because they are just sleeping and will wake up from their sleep. Contrarily to what the sadducees taught, there will be a resurrection. But the metaphor in the latter case is what? Will people in the resurrection "cohabit" like the angels?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120485
10/14/09 02:32 PM
10/14/09 02:32 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:
R: Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Th: Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

It's "living" because the dead will wake up from their sleep. The metaphor is still death/sleep.

Quote:
R: But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
Th: Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are.

Thomas, a metaphor must have a meaning. The meaning in the first case is that the patriarchs are alive because they are just sleeping and will wake up from their sleep. Contrarily to what the sadducees taught, there will be a resurrection. But the metaphor in the latter case is what? Will people in the resurrection "cohabit" like the angels?
Truth is Truth even when we do not understand it...

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120487
10/14/09 02:42 PM
10/14/09 02:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I don't see the position you are presenting as being backed up by the Word of God. So how can I consider it "truth"?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120488
10/14/09 03:04 PM
10/14/09 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, is it possible to read both parts literally? I'm just thinking out loud, but it seems to me the patriarchs are literally alive and the people in heaven literally do not get married. Jesus addresses both forms of marriage - consensual and contractual. Neither will happen after the resurrection. Also, the way Luke recorded it is helpful.

Luke
20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
20:37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses showed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120493
10/14/09 03:50 PM
10/14/09 03:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, I stated your option as one of our choices. But how can you take it without giving up or do major damage to one of the adventist uniques which you stated elsewhere are the golden ticket to paradise for the last generation?

Rosangela, The problem would of course be that there are not that many places to look for support on either side for the marriage question while sticking to Scripture. Is the topic even raised anywhere else in the scriptures?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120494
10/14/09 03:57 PM
10/14/09 03:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Lukes telling of the story seem a close couple to how Paul reflects over marriage here:

25Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.
26I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.
27Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
28But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.
29But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
30And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
32But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
33But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
34There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
35And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.
36But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.
37Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.
38So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.
39The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
40But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

So is the issue marriage in heaven or marriage at all?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120517
10/15/09 02:34 AM
10/15/09 02:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
V: Mike, I stated your option as one of our choices. But how can you take it without giving up or do major damage to one of the adventist uniques which you stated elsewhere are the golden ticket to paradise for the last generation?

M: I don't see a conflict with what I suggested above and SDA beliefs. What are you referring to?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!