HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,599
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage #120338
10/11/09 01:26 PM
10/11/09 01:26 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In our Sabbath School class discussion under the section on Maritial Fidelity, an interesting thought was presented, which is that even after the Fall the Sabbath is eternal, whereas marriage ended at the death of one of the spouses.

Will marriage be re-instituted on the New Earth at the end of the 1,000 years in heaven, or will marriage end forever at the death of one of the spouses, or, upon being translated at the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ?

A related question is will there be babies and/or children on the New Earth after our being in heaven for 1,000 years?

Does both the Bible and the writings of EGW have anything to say about this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120344
10/11/09 02:51 PM
10/11/09 02:51 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
And will new families be started in those days or will we be so heavenly minded that this very fundamental aspect of what makes us humans will no longer be of any consequence for us?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120349
10/11/09 03:06 PM
10/11/09 03:06 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Let me share with you my understanding, which is that the institution of marriage will end at the resurrection and translation of the redeemed at the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ.

My understanding of this is based on the fact that marriage is only until death do us part, which was an obvious change as a result of the Fall, not to mention the entrance of divorce, again as a result of sin.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120355
10/11/09 05:12 PM
10/11/09 05:12 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Let me share with you my understanding, which is that the institution of marriage will end at the resurrection and translation of the redeemed at the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ.

My understanding of this is based on the fact that marriage is only until death do us part, which was an obvious change as a result of the Fall, not to mention the entrance of divorce, again as a result of sin.

Daryl, These are good food for thought. But 'marriage' was the divine plan, before sin.

"Till death do us part" was never part of God's original plan. Death was not a consideration.

So I am not following your logic:

• The Sabbath was before sin and thus will be fully restored.
• Marriage ('man & wife') was before sin, but it will not be restored?
_______

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120356
10/11/09 05:24 PM
10/11/09 05:24 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree that it was never a part of God's original plan, but was what God added as a result of sin that led to the first death for nearly all of us and what will lead to the second death for the lost, which is why my understanding is that marriage, as we know it now under that name, will not be restored.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120357
10/11/09 05:31 PM
10/11/09 05:31 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
How do you understand the following, especially verses 29 and 30?
Quote:

Matthew 22:24 saying, Master, Moses said, If a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up seed to his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brothers. And the first, when he had married a wife, died. And, having no issue, he left his wife to his brother.
26 The second also did likewise, and the third, to the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman also died.
28 Therefore in the resurrection, whose wife shall she be, of the seven? For they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said to them, You err, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120358
10/11/09 06:08 PM
10/11/09 06:08 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
marriage, as we know it now under that name, will not be restored.

Ok Daryl, 'marriage in the fallen time' will not be restored - i.e that type of marriage that ends with death. But the union of Adam & Eve was in a different setting - completely apart from sin and death. The 'earth made new' is a restoration of God's Plan, perhaps better.

But the Sabbath will be fully restored and so why not man & wife? I am only following the logic you presented. However it's possible this logic is bettered by the scripture record.
______

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120359
10/11/09 06:17 PM
10/11/09 06:17 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Adam and Eve also died, therefore, their marriage to each other ended when one of them died.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120360
10/11/09 06:23 PM
10/11/09 06:23 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible in regards to the Bible text I posted earlier says:
Quote:
Their deception appeared in their supposing, that if there were a resurrection, men and women were to marry and be given in marriage as in this life; which our Lord shows is not the case: for men and women there shall be like the angels of God, immortal, and free from all human passions, and from those propensities which were to continue with them only during this present state of existence.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120361
10/11/09 06:39 PM
10/11/09 06:39 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Daryl, the quotation from Matthew 22: 24-30 is a good place to start. These (and similar words) have been a question for many. I've not studied this matter closely, but could you share the thoughts of the Sabbath school?

If we apply human (fallible) logic, 50 earthly years cultivating trust and love with a spouse during our eternal-character-preparation would not be easily forgotten or dismissed. Some couples will endure the "time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation". (Daniel 12:1) Certainly we will know our friends, Peter will recognize Paul, EGW saw brothers Fitch & Stockman, etc.

Since the marriage of man & wife typifies the relation of Groom to Bride, a witness for the universe, does it not remain a stronger monument?
____

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120362
10/11/09 06:56 PM
10/11/09 06:56 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible in regards to the Bible text I posted earlier says:
Quote:
Their deception appeared in their supposing, that if there were a resurrection, men and women were to marry and be given in marriage as in this life; which our Lord shows is not the case: for men and women there shall be like the angels of God, immortal, and free from all human passions, and from those propensities which were to continue with them only during this present state of existence.

Perhaps Clarke gets closer. "Free from all human passions..and propensities"

But will you remain Daryl and I Gordon? (New names perhaps) Same people yet changed from decayed human bodies to new; without human passions and propensities? I believe so. If we as strangers will remain identifiable, what of your wife of decades, even children? Surely these bonds will not be forgotten?

Good topic Daryl.
_____

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120363
10/11/09 08:07 PM
10/11/09 08:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen White wrote:

There are men today who express their belief that there will be marriages and births in the new earth, but those who believe the Scriptures cannot accept such doctrines. The doctrine that children will be born in the new earth is not a part of the "sure word of prophecy." The words of Christ are too plain to be misunderstood. They should forever settle the question of marriages and births in the new earth. Neither those who shall be raised from the dead, nor those who shall be translated without seeing death, will marry or be given in marriage. They will be as the angels of God, members of the royal family. {FLB 366.2}

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120366
10/11/09 08:44 PM
10/11/09 08:44 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ellen White says it all very plainly, however, as she said that "those who believe the Scriptures cannot accept such doctrines, we need to show as clearly from the Scriptures that what she said is the "sure word of prophecy."

Are there, therefore, any other Scriptures that back up Ellen White's statement about this?

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120367
10/11/09 09:47 PM
10/11/09 09:47 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There were some in the Sabbath School Class who felt that there will be marriage and babies born on the New Earth, not in Heaven during the 1,000 years, but on the New Earth.

The following was used by one person to back up that one person's belief, especially verse 8 in reference to a suckling child:
Quote:
Isaiah 11:6 Also the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the cub lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the suckling child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Jehovah, as the waters cover the sea.

Daryl smile

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Daryl] #120374
10/12/09 12:51 AM
10/12/09 12:51 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I view that God created Man and woman to complete each other in a union of marriage to become "One Flesh". This is within Man's and woman's design at creation before the fall.

Here some Bible text to consider :

Quote:
And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. (Gen 2:18)

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. (Gen 2:24)

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mt 19:6)

I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth [it], that [men] should fear before him. (Ecc 3:14)

Blessings
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Elle] #120378
10/12/09 10:50 AM
10/12/09 10:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
It would be incorrect to assume we will be restored to the exact form in which Adam and Eve were created. Did they have wings? wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120379
10/12/09 12:33 PM
10/12/09 12:33 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Before sin, God and Christ created man "in our image, after our likeness." (Gen. 1:26)

But the man contained male & female. Eve was "called Woman, because she was taken out of Man". (Gen 2:23)

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Gen 1:27)

There was no conception recorded before the fall of man - No record that sexual union existed before the fall. Only the command to "Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" (Gen. 1:28) Multiplication could have been achieved differently before the fall.

Conception is only described after the fall, and this in connection with sorrow. "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children" (Gen. 3:16)
_____

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120380
10/12/09 12:54 PM
10/12/09 12:54 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Before the fall, Adam and Eve were in harmony with God and Christ. All their actions were open, nothing hid. They worked in cooperation with God's will. This would have included the blessing to "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth" (Gen 1:28).

But this blessing was not fulfilled in the unfallen era when they were "both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." (Gen 2:25) Rebellion entered their lives "and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself." (Gen 3:10).

Instead of multiplying in God's presence, without shame or knowledge of their nakedness, they were driven out of the Garden where "Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived" (Gen 4:1).
_______

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120381
10/12/09 01:19 PM
10/12/09 01:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
It would be incorrect to assume we will be restored to the exact form in which Adam and Eve were created. Did they have wings? wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Why do you believe translated humans will have wings? Did Jesus have wings when he was resurrected? Paul says we will have bodies such as His in our translation, but says nothing about Jesus having been anatomically different from before His death. Mary did not mistake Jesus for an angel at the grave, she mistook Him for the gardener.

Further, why would we not be translated to the form Adam and Eve had after creation? God said that the world He had made was good. Are you now saying that it was not good enough but need improvements for the second try?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120382
10/12/09 01:25 PM
10/12/09 01:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Matthew 22:30 is very clear: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
Folks, what is the basis for saying that human beings will neither marry nor be given in marriage for a thousand years, but after this they will resume marrying? What is the basis for saying that they will be like the angels in heaven but will cease to be like the angels in the new earth?
Some can quote Isaiah to "prove" that there will be marriage and births in the new earth; I can also quote Isaiah to "prove" that there will be sin and death in the new earth.
As Ellen White says, Christ's words are too plain to be misunderstood.

As an aside, Ellen White gives us additional light about this:

By the power of His love, through obedience, fallen man, a worm of the dust, is to be transformed, fitted to be a member of the heavenly family, a companion through eternal ages of God and Christ and the holy angels. Heaven will triumph, for the vacancies made by the fall of Satan and his host will be filled by the redeemed of the Lord.--UL 61. {TA 287.1}

God created man for His own glory, that after test and trial the human family might become one with the heavenly family. It was God's purpose to repopulate heaven with the human family, if they would show themselves obedient to His every word. Adam was to be tested, to see whether he would be obedient, as the loyal angels, or disobedient.--1BC 1082. {TA 287.2}

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120383
10/12/09 01:34 PM
10/12/09 01:34 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Before sin, God and Christ created man "in our image, after our likeness." (Gen. 1:26)

But the man contained male & female. Eve was "called Woman, because she was taken out of Man". (Gen 2:23)

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Gen 1:27)

There was no conception recorded before the fall of man - No record that sexual union existed before the fall. Only the command to "Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" (Gen. 1:28) Multiplication could have been achieved differently before the fall.

Conception is only described after the fall, and this in connection with sorrow. "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children" (Gen. 3:16)
_____
Non-sexual reproduction? Incidentally I read about this concept this summer. The book claimed to be a summary of the secret society(occult) version of world history. It sure was strange reading and I never expected to see ideas from there restated here.

You could note that "greatly multiply sorrow" indicates relationship. You will not know that sorrow has increased unless you know what it was before. To realise that a change has occurred you must be familiar with the starting position.

You point out that no conception was recorded before the fall of man. Well, its not exactly an exhaustive text we are looking at. For all that we know by reading it, this could have been the same evening when they where created in the morning.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120384
10/12/09 01:39 PM
10/12/09 01:39 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Matthew 22:30 is very clear: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
Folks, what is the basis for saying that human beings will neither marry nor be given in marriage for a thousand years, but after this they will resume marrying? What is the basis for saying that they will be like the angels in heaven but will cease to be like the angels in the new earth?
Some can quote Isaiah to "prove" that there will be marriage and births in the new earth; I can also quote Isaiah to "prove" that there will be sin and death in the new earth.
As Ellen White says, Christ's words are too plain to be misunderstood.

As an aside, Ellen White gives us additional light about this:

By the power of His love, through obedience, fallen man, a worm of the dust, is to be transformed, fitted to be a member of the heavenly family, a companion through eternal ages of God and Christ and the holy angels. Heaven will triumph, for the vacancies made by the fall of Satan and his host will be filled by the redeemed of the Lord.--UL 61. {TA 287.1}

God created man for His own glory, that after test and trial the human family might become one with the heavenly family. It was God's purpose to repopulate heaven with the human family, if they would show themselves obedient to His every word. Adam was to be tested, to see whether he would be obedient, as the loyal angels, or disobedient.--1BC 1082. {TA 287.2}
If we will no longer be humans in the resurrection, may Calvin be right about absolute predestination, that God decides what the redeemed thinks and wills.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120386
10/12/09 02:27 PM
10/12/09 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What about couples taken to Heaven and to the New Earth - will they remain married or will they be considered unmarried? If they remain married will they cease having children? If they are considered unmarried will they stop having romantic affections for one another? If so, why?

"Men and women can reach God's ideal for them if they will take Christ as their helper. What human wisdom cannot do, His grace will accomplish for those who give themselves to Him in loving trust. His providences can unite hearts in bonds that are of heavenly origin. Love will not be a mere exchange of soft and flattering words. The loom of heaven weaves with warp and woof finer, yet more firm, that can be woven by the looms of earth. The result is not a tissue fabric, but a texture that will bear wear and test and trial. Heart will be bound to heart in the golden bonds of a love that is enduring. {LYL 16.3}

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120389
10/12/09 02:52 PM
10/12/09 02:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If we will no longer be humans in the resurrection, may Calvin be right about absolute predestination, that God decides what the redeemed thinks and wills.

Jesus said we will be like the angels, and we definitely aren't like the angels now. Therefore, we will be somewhat different from what we are now.
Since God doesn't decide what an angel thinks and wills, why would He do so for us in the afterlife?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120390
10/12/09 03:01 PM
10/12/09 03:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
What about couples taken to Heaven and to the New Earth - will they remain married or will they be considered unmarried? If they remain married will they cease having children? If they are considered unmarried will they stop having romantic affections for one another? If so, why?

Pursuing this further, if someone becomes a widow(er) more than once and marries again, will that person have several espouses in heaven? (By the way, this was what the sadducees were asking Jesus. What was His answer?) And if someone's spouse doesn't go to heaven? Will some be single there while others will have several spouses?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120397
10/12/09 04:07 PM
10/12/09 04:07 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: västergötland

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Why do you believe translated humans will have wings? Did Jesus have wings when he was resurrected? Paul says we will have bodies such as His in our translation, but says nothing about Jesus having been anatomically different from before His death. Mary did not mistake Jesus for an angel at the grave, she mistook Him for the gardener.

Further, why would we not be translated to the form Adam and Eve had after creation? God said that the world He had made was good. Are you now saying that it was not good enough but need improvements for the second try?

Vaster,

First of all, we are told we will be like the angels, right? Do they not have wings? Furthermore, other portions of inspiration give us little details of this as well.

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles" (Isaiah 40:31).

"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall" (Malachi 4:1, 2).

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Then Jesus' silver trumpet sounded, as he descended on the cloud, wrapped in flames of fire [2 Thessalonians 1:7,8] He gazed on the graves of the sleeping saints, then raised his eyes and hands to heaven and cried out, [John 5:25.] Awake! Awake! Awake! ye that sleep in the dust, and arise. Then there was a mighty earthquake. The graves opened, and the dead came up clothed with immortality. The 144,000 shouted, Hallelujah! as they recognized their friends who had been torn from them by death, and in the same moment we were changed and caught up together with them to meet the Lord in the air. [1 Thessalonians 4:17.]... Here on the sea of glass the 144,000 stood in a perfect square. Some of them had very bright crowns, others not so bright.... We tried to call up our greatest trials, but they looked so small compared with the far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory [2 Corinthians 4:17.] that surrounded us, that we could not speak them out, [Isaiah 65:17.] and we all cried out Hallelujah, heaven is cheap enough, and we touched our glorious harps and made heaven's arches ring. And as we were gazing at the glories of the place our eyes were attracted upwards to something that had the appearance of silver. I asked Jesus to let me see what was within there. In a moment we were winging our way upward, and entering in; here we saw good old father Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Noah, Daniel, and many like them. ... {WLF 16.1}

... We passed through the wood, for we were on our way to Mount Zion, as we were traveling along we met a company who were also gazing at the glories of the place: I noticed red as a border on their garments. Their crowns were brilliant--their robes were pure white. As we greeted them, I asked Jesus who they were? He said they were martyrs that had been slain for him. With them was an innumerable company of little ones, they had a hem of red on their garments also. Mount Zion was just before us, and on the Mount sat a glorious temple, and about it were seven other mountains, on which grew roses and lilies, and I saw the little ones climb, or if they chose use their little wings and fly to the top of the mountains, and pluck the never fading flowers....{DS, January 24, 1846 par. 1}

Indeed, the "wings" concept comes from more than mere imagination here...although I grant that my imagination has sometimes looked forward to the day when I can fly--and we are also told Heaven will be more than we can imagine. wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120400
10/12/09 04:27 PM
10/12/09 04:27 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:

Jesus said we will be like the angels, and we definitely aren't like the angels now. Therefore, we will be somewhat different from what we are now.
Since God doesn't decide what an angel thinks and wills, why would He do so for us in the afterlife?
Context please, what was the situation and what was the topic? Whom did Jesus say this to and what important qualifier is given in the text when this group is presented? And how does the short speech end?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120403
10/12/09 05:17 PM
10/12/09 05:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
The context is,

"For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."

???

Is there any other way to interpret these plain words?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120404
10/12/09 05:18 PM
10/12/09 05:18 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Vaster,

First of all, we are told we will be like the angels, right? Do they not have wings? Furthermore, other portions of inspiration give us little details of this as well.
Let me begin by quoting the full relevant passage before moving on.

Matthew writes: 23That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24"Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

29Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

33When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching.

I boldened the parts which I referred to in my reply to Rosangela. Now, what was Jesus answer to the inquiry of the Sadducees? He pointed out that their error was double. They did not know the scriptures nor the power of God. Therefore knowledge of the scriptures together with knowing God clearly would have preempted their question. Then follows the sentence we are discussing here. Jesus said: At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. In what respect do Jesus say that people will be like angels? Is there any warrant for extrapolating this to other aspects of anglehood? And how does this relate to Jesus first sentence in His answer, where He points out that the whole question is ill founded?
Quote:

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles" (Isaiah 40:31).
There is nothing suggesting that this would refer to any time in an unknown future from its context. Rather it looks like a promise that anyone who is faint and weary can claim for today. This and the fact that a couple of verses previously compares the inhabitants of earth to grasshoppers suggest we can safely catalog these "wings as eagles" under poetic language.
Quote:

"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall" (Malachi 4:1, 2).
Here is another example where taking the message without placing overdue emphasis on the exact images used to give it seems the best path. For surely people are not wood with roots and branches and nor do we grow up to become calves in the stall. Drawing a correct distinction between narrative and poetic text is a virtue.
Quote:

Indeed, the "wings" concept comes from more than mere imagination here...although I grant that my imagination has sometimes looked forward to the day when I can fly--and we are also told Heaven will be more than we can imagine. wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Lastly, we have the third and fourth sentence in this short speech. And my claim here is that it is highly inconsistent to claim narrative speech for the first two and figurative speech for the last two when the main thing that differs them is that we want to believe the first is factual and that we want even more to believe that the second is not. I am of course speaking of these: 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." God is the God of Abraham and God is not the God of the dead but the God of the living, thus the only logical conclusion that can be deduced is that Abraham is not dead but living. But no orthodox Adventist would venture there, not least because doing so would make him or her orthodox adventist no more.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120410
10/12/09 07:05 PM
10/12/09 07:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, Jesus was referring to the future results of the resurrection, not that it was already a reality in the cases of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus referred to death as sleep. In this sense, they are not dead.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120411
10/12/09 07:13 PM
10/12/09 07:13 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
It is the response acceptable by orthodoxy that you give Mike, but if the second part is to be read like Greenie and Rosangela read the first, then it is clearly inadequate. You see, such a literal reading does not allow for taking intentions into account. A literal reading of the text squarely puts it all in present time. No hints within the sentence of any applications to a future date.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120417
10/12/09 08:54 PM
10/12/09 08:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I disagree. Jesus used the same concept when He spoke about Jairus' daughter, "The girl is not dead, but sleeping."
Was the girl dead, Thomas?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120418
10/12/09 09:01 PM
10/12/09 09:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Ah, but then you cede that Jesus did use figurative language like every other normal person making speeches. Which also means that there is no particular reason why "be as angles" must be taken literally when the following sentence is recognised as figurative speech.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120419
10/12/09 09:04 PM
10/12/09 09:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Thomas,

Like I asked before, how can another meaning be given to the words, "they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven"?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120420
10/12/09 09:27 PM
10/12/09 09:27 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Rosangela, Like the second sentence cannot, aye, must not mean what it obviously says because it would go against everything else we believe, likewise this first sentence cannot and must not mean what it obviously says per your quote above.

Why, you will surely ask, cannot it mean what it seems to say per the now established practise? Because taking it at face value would mean that Gods first creation would be seen as not good enough. Because it would mean that Jesus did not come to earth to save us as humans but to make us into something which we were not originally designed to be. It leads to ludicrous ideas about an asexual paradise per Roman Catholic chastity, pagan and satanic delusions and at least one opinion shared before in this thread. It suggests that in Paul's argument in 1 Corinthians 15, the heavenly man upon whom our spiritual body to come is modelled is not Jesus but a created being, an angle. Simply put, in the beginning God created humans to be one man and one woman and proclaimed that creation was no longer merely good but now very good. Then He concluded His singular act of creation in the Sabbath. The suggestion that the purpose of our creation was not to be humans but to become angles cast a shade of scorn upon either Gods proclamation that earth was very good with man and woman together in Gods image upon it. Or upon the concept of singular creation as such, if God created man and woman with the intention that we evolve into a higher state, angles, when the time is ripe. Such a view is an open invitation to a core spiritualistic message of "we will all become gods when the age of aquarius dawns".
For a group of people whom in other circumstances have been such zealous for the sanctity of the genesis story, to surrender it here is rather surprising to say the least.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120423
10/12/09 09:56 PM
10/12/09 09:56 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
So you mean you believe that the phrase "neither marry nor are given in marriage" means "they will marry and be given in marriage."
First, Thomas, I don't think Jesus was speaking figuratively either in Matt. 22 or in the episode of Jairus' daughter. What I believe is that God's concept of "death" is "ceasing to exist for ever," that is, "not ever being raised to life again." What we call "death," He calls "sleep" (just read John 11).
Second, even if Jesus was speaking figuratively at some place, there is no such thing as "figurative" meaning "the complete opposite of what is said."
And third, the fact that reproduction was to exist just for a time doesn't mean that a being is not perfect if it does not reproduce - the Bible says angels were superior to man, even before man sinned. Lack of sex is neither pagan nor satanic - unless you believe holy angels are satanic. Besides, as far as I know, God does not have a sex. Is He imperfect?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120428
10/13/09 01:32 AM
10/13/09 01:32 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
God's concept of death is spiritual, i.e. death = separation from God. Man's concept of death is physical, i.e. death = discontinuation of earthly life.

When God sees His saints "die," their physical death has not separated them from God, only from the world. God knows that in the future, they will be raised to life again, and thus, in a very real sense, they have (present tense!) eternal life. Their eternal life is like money in the bank--it belongs to them, even though it is not presently in their hands.

However, when God sees someone living, alive, who has separated himself from God, God sees this same person as "dead," for they have no life in Heaven's bank. They have separated themselves from God, and this separation accounts as "death," even though physically they may yet be alive. Should they die while in this separated condition, their loss is eternally locked in.

When Jesus spoke of Lazarus in the tomb, He knew that physically Lazarus was dead. But He also knew that Lazarus had died with God. Therefore, in the spiritual sense, Lazarus was alive--but "sleeping" on account of that life being owed him not presently in his possession.

In other words, I do not believe that Jesus' words in saying Lazarus as alive were entirely meant as future application. It is present tense, and to be interpreted as such. In the same place where Jesus corrects the Jewish leaders regarding marriage in the afterlife, He says: "For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." (Matthew 22:30-32)

Jesus told His hearers that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were/are alive. We know that they were in their tombs "sleeping" at that time--yet to Jesus, they were alive. This is not merely figurative, because one cannot belong to God merely figuratively. You either are His or you are not.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120437
10/13/09 08:20 AM
10/13/09 08:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
So you mean you believe that the phrase "neither marry nor are given in marriage" means "they will marry and be given in marriage."
First, Thomas, I don't think Jesus was speaking figuratively either in Matt. 22 or in the episode of Jairus' daughter. What I believe is that God's concept of "death" is "ceasing to exist for ever," that is, "not ever being raised to life again." What we call "death," He calls "sleep" (just read John 11).
I find it unlikely that Jesus would have used a private definition of words when speaking with people. He did after all not speak for the enjoyment of hearing his own voice but to communicate Truth to people. Therefore, do you have any evidence or support for this change in the definition of the word "dead" between our day and that of Jesus.
Quote:

Second, even if Jesus was speaking figuratively at some place, there is no such thing as "figurative" meaning "the complete opposite of what is said."
Sure, so unless you have some good answer for my reply to point one, some revising might be in order. Right?
Quote:

And third, the fact that reproduction was to exist just for a time doesn't mean that a being is not perfect if it does not reproduce - the Bible says angels were superior to man, even before man sinned. Lack of sex is neither pagan nor satanic - unless you believe holy angels are satanic. Besides, as far as I know, God does not have a sex. Is He imperfect?
First, it has not yet been established that it is a "fact". Further, what makes up the perfect crow cannot possibly be used as a standard of perfection for cows. Similarly angels are not a standard for what a perfect human should be, except in regards to their obedience and allegiance to God. That is in character. But even here we have a better measure. I fail to see the reason for this enthusiasm for replacing Jesus as our perfect point of reference with angels, perfect as they may be.
For your last point, God is God and not a man. Likewise man is man and not God. God made us in this particular way and what is satanic is our desire to be something which God neither made us to be nor intends us to become. God made lucifer to be an angel but he was not content but desired to be more. Then he became satan, the accuser. God made man, but again man is not content but desires to be, well first an angel and then a god. What does that make man? Certainly not a good son or daughter of God anyhow...

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120438
10/13/09 08:27 AM
10/13/09 08:27 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
God's concept of death is spiritual, i.e. death = separation from God. Man's concept of death is physical, i.e. death = discontinuation of earthly life.

When God sees His saints "die," their physical death has not separated them from God, only from the world. God knows that in the future, they will be raised to life again, and thus, in a very real sense, they have (present tense!) eternal life. Their eternal life is like money in the bank--it belongs to them, even though it is not presently in their hands.

However, when God sees someone living, alive, who has separated himself from God, God sees this same person as "dead," for they have no life in Heaven's bank. They have separated themselves from God, and this separation accounts as "death," even though physically they may yet be alive. Should they die while in this separated condition, their loss is eternally locked in.

When Jesus spoke of Lazarus in the tomb, He knew that physically Lazarus was dead. But He also knew that Lazarus had died with God. Therefore, in the spiritual sense, Lazarus was alive--but "sleeping" on account of that life being owed him not presently in his possession.

In other words, I do not believe that Jesus' words in saying Lazarus as alive were entirely meant as future application. It is present tense, and to be interpreted as such. In the same place where Jesus corrects the Jewish leaders regarding marriage in the afterlife, He says: "For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." (Matthew 22:30-32)

Jesus told His hearers that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were/are alive. We know that they were in their tombs "sleeping" at that time--yet to Jesus, they were alive. This is not merely figurative, because one cannot belong to God merely figuratively. You either are His or you are not.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Jesus began his answer by pointing to the scriptures. Therefore, can you support this case in its entierity from the books referred to by Jesus?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120439
10/13/09 08:40 AM
10/13/09 08:40 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Jesus began his answer by pointing to the scriptures. Therefore, can you support this case in its entierity from the books referred to by Jesus?

Certainly. However, it's a lengthy study better fit for a separate thread. If you can be more precise as to a specific question, perhaps I can provide a quick answer here. Otherwise, the larger study will have to wait.

It should be significant to all, however, that Jesus tied the death/life definition into the leaders' question of marriage in the afterlife--and this following a statement to them that they erred, not knowing the scriptures.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120440
10/13/09 08:45 AM
10/13/09 08:45 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Certainly. However, it's a lengthy study better fit for a separate thread. If you can be more precise as to a specific question, perhaps I can provide a quick answer here. Otherwise, the larger study will have to wait.
Maybe the grand study should have the same coverage as did Jesus reply that we have been discussing?
Quote:

It should be significant to all, however, that Jesus tied the death/life definition into the leaders' question of marriage in the afterlife--and this following a statement to them that they erred, not knowing the scriptures.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Indeed it should. It is a package response and we need to consider all parts of it in connection to the other parts.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120441
10/13/09 08:53 AM
10/13/09 08:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Vaster,

I don't understand what you mean by this: "Maybe the grand study should have the same coverage as did Jesus reply that we have been discussing?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120442
10/13/09 08:59 AM
10/13/09 08:59 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Vaster,

I don't understand what you mean by this: "Maybe the grand study should have the same coverage as did Jesus reply that we have been discussing?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

The same thing I did in my second sentence, that the present state of Abraham and sons ought best be discussed together with angels and marriages, on the grounds that Jesus saw fit to do so.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120443
10/13/09 02:58 PM
10/13/09 02:58 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Thomas, I recall that you attended seminary.

Which seminary?
_____

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: gordonb1] #120444
10/13/09 03:36 PM
10/13/09 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, why do you think a passage must be taken either literally or figuratively? Why can't a passage contain both elements? People mix literal and figurative speech all the time, right?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120454
10/13/09 04:58 PM
10/13/09 04:58 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Gordon, your recall is in error. I have never studied theology in college or seminary settings.

Mike, if the literary style of a text is entirely arbitrary, how are we to know if a certain sentence is literary or figurative? On what basis do we make this interpretation? It seems rather close to fall into the "I like this part so it must be literary while I disagree with that part so thats just figure of speech". Just look at the discussion these last few pages.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120457
10/13/09 05:01 PM
10/13/09 05:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, the best way I know of to determine whether or not a passage is literal or figurative or a combination of both is to compare scripture with scripture. No text is an island. We cannot divorce what Jesus said about the resurrection and marriage from the larger context of the entire Bible.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120461
10/13/09 05:12 PM
10/13/09 05:12 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
No sentence is an island either, it is reasonable to assume it is connected with the preceding and the following sentence unless there clearly is a paragraph and topic change..

As it comes to marriage, it seems to me that this verse in Matthew is regarded as The defining sentence which all others are measured against. Otherwise I would have expected more references to other texts.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120467
10/13/09 09:53 PM
10/13/09 09:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you agree with Ellen's insight (posted earlier on this therad)?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120468
10/13/09 11:11 PM
10/13/09 11:11 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Webster's defintion of metaphor: "a figure of speech containing an implied comparison, in which a word or phrase ordinarily and primarily used of one thing is applied to another (Ex.: the curtain of night, 'all the world‘s a stage')."
But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
For the sake of argument, let's suppose this is a metaphor. Could you please explain its meaning?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120477
10/14/09 06:20 AM
10/14/09 06:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Do you agree with Ellen's insight (posted earlier on this therad)?
Ellen yes, I guess those references are one way of closing the door on any further study.. Thats what the quote is there for, isnt it?

As I said before, for all of us who think sin is the problem rather than the fact that we are humans, may Calvin be right that God ordains the elect to have the desires they need to be happy in the coming kingdom.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120478
10/14/09 06:45 AM
10/14/09 06:45 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."
Quote:

Webster's defintion of metaphor: "a figure of speech containing an implied comparison, in which a word or phrase ordinarily and primarily used of one thing is applied to another (Ex.: the curtain of night, 'all the world‘s a stage')."
But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
For the sake of argument, let's suppose this is a metaphor. Could you please explain its meaning?
Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are. Further that since the literal reading of Jesus words regarding the patriarchs appears to be unacceptable and that His words on marriage should be treated by the same method as His words on the patriarchs are treated. Therefore it seems to me that you are asking me to explain to you why you are right, while I am still questioning whether you are right.

Either Jesus words on marriage and His words on the patriarchs both describe the world in a photographic way, no one is married in heaven and the patriarchs are living since God is their God.
Or Jesus words on marriage and His words on the patriarchs both describe the world like a map or a medieval painting, the patriarchs are dead but "have their names in the book of life" and people are still, (I dont know, its not like there is an established theology to back this up like there is one for the "living patriarchs"),,, what about cohabiting? :P

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120481
10/14/09 11:53 AM
10/14/09 11:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Rosangela,

I partly agree with you here, and partly disagree. Sleep is a metaphor for death, true enough. However, it is not applicable to every death. There are some deaths which would not be a "sleep."

As this topic deviates from the OP question, I have started a separate thread to explore this further. Jesus used the opportunity, while on the topic of the afterlife, to bring these concepts in. However, they are not directly related to the issue of marriage.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120482
10/14/09 01:51 PM
10/14/09 01:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Th: Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

It's "living" because the dead will wake up from their sleep. The metaphor is still death/sleep.

Quote:
R: But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
Th: Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are.

Thomas, a metaphor must have a meaning. The meaning in the first case is that the patriarchs are alive because they are just sleeping and will wake up from their sleep. Contrarily to what the sadducees taught, there will be a resurrection. But the metaphor in the latter case is what? Will people in the resurrection "cohabit" like the angels?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120485
10/14/09 02:32 PM
10/14/09 02:32 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:
R: Jesus made clear time and time again that what we call "death" is just a sleep. As I said, just read John 11. I don't consider this a mere metaphor, but as I said, even if you consider it a metaphor, the likeness between death and sleep is evident.
Th: Except of course that the issue word here is neither death nor sleap, but "living". "He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

It's "living" because the dead will wake up from their sleep. The metaphor is still death/sleep.

Quote:
R: But you haven't yet explained Jesus' words: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven."
Th: Since my case here is that Jesus words on marriage are as metaphorical as His words about the patriarchs are.

Thomas, a metaphor must have a meaning. The meaning in the first case is that the patriarchs are alive because they are just sleeping and will wake up from their sleep. Contrarily to what the sadducees taught, there will be a resurrection. But the metaphor in the latter case is what? Will people in the resurrection "cohabit" like the angels?
Truth is Truth even when we do not understand it...

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120487
10/14/09 02:42 PM
10/14/09 02:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I don't see the position you are presenting as being backed up by the Word of God. So how can I consider it "truth"?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120488
10/14/09 03:04 PM
10/14/09 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, is it possible to read both parts literally? I'm just thinking out loud, but it seems to me the patriarchs are literally alive and the people in heaven literally do not get married. Jesus addresses both forms of marriage - consensual and contractual. Neither will happen after the resurrection. Also, the way Luke recorded it is helpful.

Luke
20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
20:37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses showed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120493
10/14/09 03:50 PM
10/14/09 03:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, I stated your option as one of our choices. But how can you take it without giving up or do major damage to one of the adventist uniques which you stated elsewhere are the golden ticket to paradise for the last generation?

Rosangela, The problem would of course be that there are not that many places to look for support on either side for the marriage question while sticking to Scripture. Is the topic even raised anywhere else in the scriptures?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120494
10/14/09 03:57 PM
10/14/09 03:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Lukes telling of the story seem a close couple to how Paul reflects over marriage here:

25Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.
26I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.
27Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
28But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.
29But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
30And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
32But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
33But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
34There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
35And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.
36But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.
37Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.
38So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.
39The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
40But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

So is the issue marriage in heaven or marriage at all?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120517
10/15/09 02:34 AM
10/15/09 02:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
V: Mike, I stated your option as one of our choices. But how can you take it without giving up or do major damage to one of the adventist uniques which you stated elsewhere are the golden ticket to paradise for the last generation?

M: I don't see a conflict with what I suggested above and SDA beliefs. What are you referring to?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120522
10/15/09 07:18 AM
10/15/09 07:18 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: MM
Thomas, is it possible to read both parts literally? I'm just thinking out loud, but it seems to me the patriarchs are literally alive
Originally Posted By: SDA 28 FB

The wages of sin is death. But God, who alone is immortal, will grant eternal life to His redeemed. Until that day death is an unconscious state for all people. When Christ, who is our life, appears, the resurrected righteous and the living righteous will be glorified and caught up to meet their Lord. The second resurrection, the resurrection of the unrighteous, will take place a thousand years later.
Does this help you see the conflict I mentioned?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120532
10/15/09 04:03 PM
10/15/09 04:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm not seeing it. You might have to spell it out a little more clearly. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120545
10/15/09 08:12 PM
10/15/09 08:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It's obvious to me that sex and procreation for animals, and at least procreation (but probably sex also) for human beings, would have been a temporary thing, even if sin wouldn't have existed. God told Adam and Eve: "Be fruitful, and multiply and fill the earth, and subdue it" (Gen. 1:28). Obviously once the earth was full procreation would stop. Without death, this wouldn't have taken very long.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120546
10/15/09 08:23 PM
10/15/09 08:23 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Is God only able to manage sustenance for a limited number of humans?

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120549
10/15/09 08:41 PM
10/15/09 08:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I'm not speaking of maintenance, but of space, Vaster. Millions of people (and animals) crammed together in tight spaces.
The original earth wasn't going to be overpopulated, and the New Earth won't be, either.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120550
10/15/09 08:46 PM
10/15/09 08:46 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The size of the universe shows that God is not afraid of creating more space.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: vastergotland] #120552
10/15/09 08:52 PM
10/15/09 08:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We are not speaking about the universe, but about the earth, which is a specific planet with a specific size. God commanded them to fill the earth, not the universe. So He was planning for a specific number of human beings to exist.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120555
10/15/09 10:34 PM
10/15/09 10:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Can we speculate, then, on how many people and animals will be resurrected based on the limited amount of space available on Earth? I doubt it. I suspect our galaxy is included in the "fill the earth" command. Our borders include the distant stars created on the fourth day.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120558
10/16/09 12:50 AM
10/16/09 12:50 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
No, we can't speculate, especially on animals resurrected, for there is no support for this in inspiration.
Ellen White says God planned to repopulate heaven with human beings. Whether Thomas accepts this or not, the fact is that God is a God of order and He Himself chose the planet man would inhabit. The size of this planet indicates that God designed a given number of human beings to exist in His universe. The same is true for other beings in their respective planets.
Well, God Himself will inhabit here in this planet with His redeemed creatures. This is His promise to us. Would you like to live in another planet?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120570
10/16/09 06:13 AM
10/16/09 06:13 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
You say "repopulate heaven", so it would be of interest to know how many were lost from the original number.

Galatians 2

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Rosangela] #120584
10/16/09 03:25 PM
10/16/09 03:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, we can't speculate, especially on animals resurrected, for there is no support for this in inspiration.

Where do the animals on the New Earth come from if God does not resurrect them? Does He create them? If so, please provide a quote that says so. Rom 8: 19-23 implies animals will be resurrected.

Quote:
R: Ellen White says God planned to repopulate heaven with human beings.

The plan to create humans existed before Lucifer rebelled.

Quote:
R: Whether Thomas accepts this or not, the fact is that God is a God of order and He Himself chose the planet man would inhabit. The size of this planet indicates that God designed a given number of human beings to exist in His universe. The same is true for other beings in their respective planets.

You might be right. But the evidence could be interpreted to agree with what I wrote. We probably won't know for sure until we are in Heaven and ask Jesus.

Quote:
R: Well, God Himself will inhabit here in this planet with His redeemed creatures. This is His promise to us. Would you like to live in another planet?

I suspect I would be just as comfortable on a different planet as other beings are now. I doubt space and time will limit the presence of God to the New Earth.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120588
10/16/09 03:55 PM
10/16/09 03:55 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Where do the animals on the New Earth come from if God does not resurrect them? Does He create them? If so, please provide a quote that says so. Rom 8: 19-23 implies animals will be resurrected.

Originally Posted By: Spiros Zodhiates, Th.D.
2937. Ktísis; a founding, that is, of a city, colonization of a habitable place. Creation in a pass. sense, what is created, the sum total of what is created (Mark 10:6; 13:19; 1 Pet. 2:13). Denotes particularly the individual creature or what is created (Rom. 1:25; 9:39; Col. 1:15; Heb. 4:13). The sum total of what God has created, the creation (Mark 10:6; 13:19; Rom. 1:20; Heb. 9:11; 2 Pet. 3:4; Rev. 3:14). Refers specifically to mankind as God's creation (Mark 16:15; Col. 1:23). See also....

That makes it appear to me that it is referring to mankind by the use of the term creature/creation. Both of these translations in those verses come from the same Greek word which is defined in the quote above.

I might also note that Peter mentions but eight souls being saved on the ark. Jesus did not come to die for animals, but for man.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120610
10/17/09 02:23 AM
10/17/09 02:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I can post links to several scholarly cites that say animals will be resurrected. But this is getting off topic.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120613
10/17/09 04:37 AM
10/17/09 04:37 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, I can post links to several scholarly cites that say animals will be resurrected. But this is getting off topic.
Yes, and I'm sure both of us could post links to scholars claiming there will be marriage in heaven. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120616
10/17/09 08:30 AM
10/17/09 08:30 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The great military commander conquers nations, and shakes the armies of half the world; but he dies of disappointment, and in exile. The philosopher who ranges through the universe, everywhere tracing the manifestations of God's power, and delighting in their harmony, often fails to behold in these marvelous wonders the hand that formed them all. “Man that is in honor, and understandeth not, is like the beasts that perish.” [Psalm 49:20.] No hope of glorious immortality lights up the future of the enemies of God. But those heroes of faith have the promise of an inheritance of greater value than any earthly riches,— an inheritance that will satisfy the longings of the soul. They may be unknown and unacknowledged by the world, but they are enrolled as citizens in the record books of heaven. An exalted greatness, an enduring, eternal weight of glory, will be the final reward of those whom God has made heirs of all things. {GW92 26.2}

This man's aims were no higher than those of the beasts that perish. He lived as if there were no God, no heaven, no future life; as if everything he possessed were his own, and he owed nothing to God or man. The psalmist described this rich man when he wrote, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Psalm 14:1. {COL 257.1}

In too many households, prayer is neglected. Parents feel they have no time for morning and evening worship. They cannot spare a few moments in which to give thanks to God for his abundant mercies,--for the blessed sunshine and the showers of rain, which cause vegetation to flourish, and for the guardianship of holy angels. They have no time to offer prayer for divine help and guidance, and for the abiding presence of Jesus in the household. They go forth to labor as the ox or the horse goes, without one thought of God or heaven. They have souls so precious that rather than permit them to be hopelessly lost, the Son of God gave his life to ransom them; but they have little more appreciation of his great goodness than have the beasts that perish. {CE 221.1}

It is our wisdom to fear God and to love him with all the heart. He is to be first and last and best in everything. We are not to be like the beasts of the field, who eat and drink, with no thought of God, no idea of gratitude to their Creator for his daily benefits. All of us, as beings blessed of God with reasoning powers, with intellect and judgment, should acknowledge our accountability to God. The life he has given us is a sacred responsibility, and no moment of it is to be trifled with; for we shall have to meet it again in the record of the Judgment. In the books of heaven our lives are as accurately traced as in the picture on the plate of the photographer. Not only are we held accountable for what we have done, but for what we have left undone. We are held to account for our undeveloped characters, our unimproved opportunities. {RH, September 22, 1891 par. 1}

With his own life Christ has bought man, and given him a probation in which to work out his own salvation. God asks his children to live a pure, holy life. He has given his Son that we may reach this standard. He has made every provision necessary to enable man to live, not for animal satisfaction, like the beasts that perish, but for God and heaven. God is not satisfied when human beings live merely a selfish life. Christ died that the moral image of God might be restored in humanity, that men and women might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. We are to use no power of our being for selfish gratification; for all our powers belong to him, and are to be used to his glory. He who does nothing to glorify God might better never have been born. Those who live merely an animal life are by precept and example teaching others to leave eternity out of their reckoning. {RH, November 6, 1900 par. 8}

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (1 Peter 3:20)

Since it appears pretty solid to me that the Bible and Mrs. White both concur regarding the animals/beasts of the earth not having souls to save, perhaps we can lay this one to rest and continue on the marriage concept. smile

I believe animals were created as a witness to us of God's love, but have no more need of "being saved" and taken to heaven than have the trees or flowers which we see around us. Heaven will have trees, flowers, animals, and most certainly even creatures we have never known. But these things will not have needed to be brought from sinful earth. God can create them better and more beautiful than we have ever known.

I believe the same is true of marriage. Both the Bible and Mrs. White inform us that marriage as we know it will not exist in Heaven. I do not for one moment believe that anyone of us will miss it. Heaven will have so many joys of a superior form that we will not miss the humble pleasures granted us now.

As with animals, which we will have in Heaven, though not brought from earth, families (or at least "family") will exist in Heaven, but not of the same form as on earth. Not via marriage. Our homes here are but a sample of the family in Heaven:
Bear in mind that your children belong to God, and are to become His sons and daughters. He designs that the families on earth shall be samples of the family in heaven. {AUCR, September 6, 1909 par. 6}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Green Cochoa] #120618
10/17/09 03:31 PM
10/17/09 03:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: GC, I can post links to several scholarly cites that say animals will be resurrected. But this is getting off topic.

GC: Yes, and I'm sure both of us could post links to scholars claiming there will be marriage in heaven. smile

I guess we need to rely on the inspired sources! Have you found a quote in the Bible or the SOP that says animals, especially pets, will not be resurrected?

Re: Two Institutions of Creation - The Sabbath and Marriage [Re: Mountain Man] #120619
10/17/09 03:58 PM
10/17/09 03:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Oops! I just read your next post. Must one sin in order to be resurrected? I have never seen my dog sin. She is perfect. Does that disqualify her? Must one have a "soul" to be resurrected? What does "have" a soul mean? Body + breath = soul. Animals are also made of body and breath. The difference between men and animals is conscience. Animals act on instinct and intelligence but do not understand the moral difference between right and wrong. But is having a conscience required to be resurrected?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!