HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,448 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #120421
10/12/09 09:45 PM
10/12/09 09:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, thank you for answering my questions.

You're welcome.

Quote:
I hear you saying the loving attributes of God's character will slay sinners. They will suffer more pain and agony than if they were burned alive.

No, I'm not saying this.

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

This says the lost "place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire." So I would not put the onus on God, but on the wicked. Indeed, this is the whole point of DA 764, which she says 9 times in a row(!) that their destruction is not due to something God does to them, but is a result of their own choice.

The lost do something to themselves which causes them not to be able to stand love. Their own actions is the problem, not love. I would be very hesitant to put this in any way that did not make this point clear.

Regarding suffering pain and agony, I can think of nothing worse than being burned alive for days. I think this would be on the bottom of anyone's choice of how to die. Ty said that the flame would be more terrible. He was speaking of the impact upon the conscience. Emotional pain is different than physical pain. The pain he is talking about is akin to the pain of losing a loved one. If you lose a pain or a child, you'd be willing suffer anything rather than suffer that pain (not so much because of the pain, but because you want your loved one back). This is what I believe Ty was getting at when he talked about the flame burning being a more terrible flame than a literal flame burning.

Quote:
This limited explanation, however, does not address the following concerns:

1. Why are the wicked able to suffer unimaginable pain and agony in judgment whereas before they weren't?

Because God didn't allow it to happen.

Quote:
Who or what will make the difference?

It's being the judgment is the difference.

Quote:
2. Since one sin is enough to cause death, why are the wicked able to endure revisiting millions of sins without dying prematurely? Who or what will prevent them from dying before they revisit their last sin?

I answered this.

Quote:
3. What role does literal fire play in the "punishment" of the wicked? See quote below.

Literal fire purifies the earth, which includes the dead.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Tom] #120430
10/13/09 04:01 AM
10/13/09 04:01 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: Green Cocha
As we know, "the wages of sin is death." The more sinful a person is, the more out-of-tune with God. How is it, then, if "sin kills," that the greater the sinfulness, the greater the duration of their punishment? The opposite should be true, no?

The more sin, the more suffering when that sin is revealed.

And more life, since the ones with less sin will die sooner. Agreed?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Tom] #120431
10/13/09 04:03 AM
10/13/09 04:03 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:Ty is arguing that what the wicked suffer is a natural consequence of their sin . . .

M:Why, then, doesn’t it happen in the absence of God?

Why is the physical presence of God necessary in order for it to happen?

It's not a physical problem. It's not possible for God to be physically absent.

So, are the wicked suffering that now? Is Satan going through that mental anguish now, since he is unrepentant, and God is as omnipresent now as He has ever been.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: asygo] #120432
10/13/09 04:09 AM
10/13/09 04:09 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
(Post by Tom from Atonement Models)

Originally Posted By: asygo
Let's review the quote: "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked."

Parse that and you will find only two verbs: imparts, slay. Whatever "deed" is being done in this context, it is either imparting or slaying.

You say God is presented as doing that which He permits. We agree that that is sometimes the case. But your application of that principle here seems to be misplaced.

In particular, you say God is "permitting" the deed to be done. So who or what is God permitting to impart or slay? Is it a third party? Or is it God Himself?

Beyond that, you say "sin is the active agent which causes death." The quote says the "light of the glory of God" does the slaying. That would mean: sin = light of the glory of God. I disagree.

What? Sin=light of the glory of God. No, that's not right.

Light = revelation, or truth. Glory = character. The glory of God is His character. The wicked, because of the damage they have done to their own character, are unable to bear the revelation of God's love, which is His character. The meaning of the sentence in question is made clear by the sentences immediately following:

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

Let's review the quote: "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked."

Let's look at one of your new quotes: "The glory of Him who is love will destroy them."

Quote:
A:What I am rejecting is your invariable contention that only sin destroys. We see here, in quotes you have provided, that God's glory is quite destructive under certain circumstances. I am trying to get you to see that there is more than what you are presenting. Sin is bad, and makes one susceptible to destruction. But it is God's glory that slays the wicked as well as gives life to the righteous.

God's glory is His character, which is love. If you wish to construe things as a revelation of God's love destroys the wicked, that's fine by me, but it should be clear that the fault is in the sin which has ruined the character of those who have rejected in God's love. There's no reason why the revelation of God's wonderful love should result in death. That's rather enigmatic. It speaks to the sinfulness of sin.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

What's the problem here? The love of God? Or the life of rebellion that ruins the character?

Quote:
The root cause of death is sin, which is why she writes that death is "the inevitable result of sin." James explains this by saying that sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

When Adam at the forbidden fruit, he was a sinner - an unrepentant sinner at that. But he didn't die right there and then.

Satan will be on earth for a thousand years, with nothing to do but sulk. He is an unrepentant sinner. But he won't die right there and then.

Yes, sin is necessary for death, but there is another ingredient needed. And it is in red above.

The "red above" was speaking of the revelation of God's character. So the idea is that for someone to die, a revelation of God's character is necessary, in addition to the wicked's having ruined their character by sin. Is this correct?

What's the motivation for wishing to lay the responsibility on God for the death of the wicked as opposed to sin? I'm not understanding this. What's the advantage of looking at things this way?

Sin is lethal. We need to be saved from it.

Quote:
We are sons and daughters of God. Satan is the destroyer and Christ is the restorer. He will make us partakers of His holiness. God does not make light of sin, but He seeks to rescue us from sin.(IHP 66)

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: asygo] #120434
10/13/09 04:18 AM
10/13/09 04:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What? Sin=light of the glory of God. No, that's not right.

Light = revelation, or truth. Glory = character. The glory of God is His character.

OK, I think we're starting to agree. But to make sure, let's review the quote: "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." In that sentence, did the SOP say that "sin" will "slay the wicked"? Or is it God's glory that will "slay the wicked"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: asygo] #120435
10/13/09 04:27 AM
10/13/09 04:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
it should be clear that the fault is in the sin which has ruined the character of those who have rejected in God's love.

The problem is sin. I have not seen anyone here teach otherwise.

The difference is that you teach that the solution - the complete eradication of sin - is also sin, while there are those of us who say that it is God.

There's no reason why the revelation of God's wonderful love should result in death. That's rather enigmatic. It speaks to the sinfulness of sin.

Consider the sinner who has irrevocably chosen selfishness over God's character. If he were to live forever in a place where God rules, where God's love is the law, where God's holiness is the standard, would he consider that torture? Yes, he would.

Would he prefer to die instead? Yes, he would.

And so, in perfect love and infinite mercy, at unspeakable pain to Himself, God will give them death. The destruction of the sinner simultaneously speaks of the sinfulness of sin and of the love of God.

Hence, God's glory revealed will destroy sinners. That's sounding very familiar by now.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: asygo] #120436
10/13/09 04:37 AM
10/13/09 04:37 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The "red above" was speaking of the revelation of God's character. So the idea is that for someone to die, a revelation of God's character is necessary, in addition to the wicked's having ruined their character by sin. Is this correct?

That is correct, as evidenced by the fact that Satan knew God's character, chose to sin, but was not destroyed. Six thousand years later, he still knows God's character, still sins, and he's still not destroyed. In spite of all that sin running through the veins of the master sinner, he's still not dead.

What's the motivation for wishing to lay the responsibility on God for the death of the wicked as opposed to sin? I'm not understanding this. What's the advantage of looking at things this way?

I think it's a difference of hermeneutics. I just want to look at the evidence, and try to figure out a system that makes sense of them all. Your way, if I understand you correctly, is to have a system that makes sense to you, then make the evidence fit your paradigm. Therefore, you are confused about my "motivation" for my beliefs, as if I am trying to steer it one way or the other.

Remember your problem debugging your code because you kept seeing the number that you were expecting to see, instead of the wrong number that was actually there? I was a QA Engineer for a while; I look for what's actually there, and deal with the ramifications later. The "motivation" is to come up with a paradigm that explains all phenomena, not just the ones I like.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Tom] #120445
10/13/09 03:59 PM
10/13/09 03:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I hear you saying the loving attributes of God's character will slay sinners. They will suffer more pain and agony than if they were burned alive.

T: No, I'm not saying this.

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

This says the lost "place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire." So I would not put the onus on God, but on the wicked. Indeed, this is the whole point of DA 764, which she says 9 times in a row(!) that their destruction is not due to something God does to them, but is a result of their own choice.

The lost do something to themselves which causes them not to be able to stand love. Their own actions is the problem, not love. I would be very hesitant to put this in any way that did not make this point clear.

Regarding suffering pain and agony, I can think of nothing worse than being burned alive for days. I think this would be on the bottom of anyone's choice of how to die. Ty said that the flame would be more terrible. He was speaking of the impact upon the conscience. Emotional pain is different than physical pain. The pain he is talking about is akin to the pain of losing a loved one. If you lose a pain or a child, you'd be willing suffer anything rather than suffer that pain (not so much because of the pain, but because you want your loved one back). This is what I believe Ty was getting at when he talked about the flame burning being a more terrible flame than a literal flame burning.

". . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." Why is His presence necessary? How will His glory destroy them?

Quote:
1. Why are the wicked able to suffer unimaginable pain and agony in judgment whereas before they weren't?

T: Because God didn't allow it to happen.

How did He prevent it? How does He allow it?

Quote:
M: Who or what will make the difference?

T: It's being the judgment is the difference.

Why?

Quote:
2. Since one sin is enough to cause death, why are the wicked able to endure revisiting millions of sins without dying prematurely? Who or what will prevent them from dying before they revisit their last sin?

T: I answered this.

I don't recall your answer. Please restate it here.

Quote:
3. What role does literal fire play in the "punishment" of the wicked? See quote below.

T: Literal fire purifies the earth, which includes the dead.

The quotes doesn't portray it that way. Instead, literal fire engulfs the planet while the wicked are alive. What effect does it have on the wicked before they die?

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #120446
10/13/09 04:06 PM
10/13/09 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, do you envision God's presence causing the wicked to suffer and to die according to their sinfulness? If so, what dynamics will be at work?

Or, do you think comprehending the contrast between their character and God's will cause them to suffer and to die? If so, what dynamics will be at work?

Re: What is the inevitable of result of sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #120470
10/14/09 02:28 AM
10/14/09 02:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:What's the motivation for wishing to lay the responsibility on God for the death of the wicked as opposed to sin? I'm not understanding this. What's the advantage of looking at things this way?

A:I think it's a difference of hermeneutics. I just want to look at the evidence, and try to figure out a system that makes sense of them all.

Me too.

Quote:
Your way, if I understand you correctly, is to have a system that makes sense to you, then make the evidence fit your paradigm.

??? That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Therefore, you are confused about my "motivation" for my beliefs, as if I am trying to steer it one way or the other.

I don't see any advantage in looking at things the way you want to. I guess it's like looking at a half-empty/half-full glass. You choose to look at things in a way that makes God responsible for the destruction of sinners, even though there is tons of evidence that sinners are responsible for their own destruction. I'm not seeing the advantage of the "half-empty" way (or "half-full" if you prefer).

It seems to me that God is entirely innocent of everything having to do with sin, including its existence and demise. I don't belie God every strayed or will stray from the principles of His kingdom, such as not using force.

Quote:
Remember your problem debugging your code because you kept seeing the number that you were expecting to see, instead of the wrong number that was actually there? I was a QA Engineer for a while; I look for what's actually there, and deal with the ramifications later.

I'm sure you try to do this, but it's hard to believe you're perfect, and have never missed certain things because of results you were expecting to see. If not, our company has an opening for a QA/Risk Management Department head (this is true).

Quote:
The "motivation" is to come up with a paradigm that explains all phenomena, not just the ones I like.

Do you think God doesn't care at all what we think He is like? This is what I'm understand you to be saying here. It doesn't matter what we think about God's character, if it's immoral, or cruel, or whatever.

My heart melts at the wonderful beauty revealed by Jesus Christ is regards to God's character. IIRC, the SOP tells us that it is sin to consider the cross and not be moved. Our hearts are so hard, they needed to be melted by God's love. Otherwise we won't care about others, and continue to treat them poorly, without even realizing what we're doing. We need the love of Christ revealed to us, and manifest in our hearts. This happens as God's love is revealed through the beauties of His character, and we are moved to respond to that love.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!