HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,401 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 105 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120980
10/26/09 03:31 PM
10/26/09 03:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: In the judgment there's a revelation of truth the wicked haven't seen before.

A: This is a revelation of truth that Jesus did not already reveal in His earthly life?

T: No, it's a revelation the wicked hadn't seen before.(i.e., no, I didn't say anything about it's being a revelation of truth that Jesus did not did not reveal; I said it's a revelation of truth the wicked hadn't seen before.)

M:Was it a revelation necessary for salvation? If not, why not? And, if it doesn't matter now, why will it matter then?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll mention some principles that should address the question.

God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to a knowledge of the truth. Jesus Christ is the light (the truth) that lightens every one who comes into the world. All are drawn to God, by His love shining from the cross. Only those who resist this drawing are lost.

So God presents light, for the purpose of salvation, for all. Some resist this light, which results in a hardening of the heart, and eventually the heart becomes so hardened, the person can no longer respond to the offer of salvation, nor has any desire to.

In the last chapter of "The Great Controversy" we read:

Quote:
Satan seems paralyzed as he beholds the glory and majesty of Christ. He who was once a covering cherub remembers whence he has fallen. A shining seraph, "son of the morning;" how changed, how degraded! From the council where once he was honored, he is forever excluded. He sees another now standing near to the Father, veiling His glory. He has seen the crown placed upon the head of Christ by an angel of lofty stature and majestic presence, and he knows that the exalted position of this angel might have been his.

Memory recalls the home of his innocence and purity, the peace and content that were his until he indulged in murmuring against God, and envy of Christ. His accusations, his rebellion, his deceptions to gain the sympathy and support of the angels, his stubborn persistence in making no effort for self-recovery when God would have granted him forgiveness --all come vividly before him. He reviews his work among men and its results--the enmity of man toward his fellow man, the terrible destruction of life, the rise and fall of kingdoms, the overturning of thrones, the long succession of tumults, conflicts, and revolutions. He recalls his constant efforts to oppose the work of Christ and to sink man lower and lower. He sees that his hellish plots have been powerless to destroy those who have put their trust in Jesus. As Satan looks upon his kingdom, the fruit of his toil, he sees only failure and ruin....

Satan sees that his voluntary rebellion has unfitted him for heaven. He has trained his powers to war against God; the purity, peace, and harmony of heaven would be to him supreme torture. His accusations against the mercy and justice of God are now silenced. The reproach which he has endeavored to cast upon Jehovah rests wholly upon himself. And now Satan bows down and confesses the justice of his sentence....

"Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee; for Thy judgments are made manifest." Verse 4. Every question of truth and error in the long-standing controversy has now been made plain. The results of rebellion, the fruits of setting aside the divine statutes, have been laid open to the view of all created intelligences. The working out of Satan's rule in contrast with the government of God has been presented to the whole universe. Satan's own works have condemned him. God's wisdom, His justice, and His goodness stand fully vindicated. It is seen that all His dealings in the great controversy have been conducted

with respect to the eternal good of His people and the good of all the worlds that He has created. "All Thy works shall praise Thee, O Lord; and Thy saints shall bless Thee." Psalm 145:10. The history of sin will stand to all eternity as a witness that with the existence of God's law is bound up the happiness of all the beings He has created. With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints."

Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth.

These same principles apply to the wicked.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120982
10/26/09 05:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

1. Why would beholding the glory of the form of the person of God cause Ellen to cease to exist?

It would be similar to Isaiah's experience, where he said, "Woe is me, I am undone." Seeing God's character made plain to him his own character, which he couldn't bear. It would have been similar to that, but worse.

Did Isaiah see the glory of the form of the person of God? If so, why didn’t it cause him to cease to exist? Also, do you think the glory of the form of the person of God refers to His righteous traits of character rather than to the form of His person?

Quote:
2.In what sense would she have ceased to exist?

To expire.

Do you think her brain, blood, and breath functions would have ceased? If so, why and how would it have caused them to cease? Or, do you think “fire” would have consumed her like Nadab and Abihu? If so, why and how would it have caused her to die?

Quote:
3. How can comprehending the truth set sinners free now if it will cause them to suffer and die in judgment?

T: Those in the second resurrection are those who have hardened their hearts against God's mercy and grace. Responding to the mercy and grace of God sets sinners free.

M: Jesus said, “The truth shall set you free.”

T: “Satan sees that his voluntary rebellion has unfitted him for heaven. He has trained his powers to war against God; the purity, peace, and harmony of heaven would be to him supreme torture. His accusations against the mercy and justice of God are now silenced. The reproach which he has endeavored to cast upon Jehovah rests wholly upon himself. And now Satan bows down and confesses the justice of his sentence....Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth.(GC 670,671)

The same principle applies to the wicked. The truth sets one free if its principles are received into the soul.

Do you think acknowledging the justice of God is sentencing them to death is what will cause evil men and angels to suffer and die? Is this the “truth” you have in mind when you say “truth” is what will cause sinners to suffer in judgment and die? What effect will revisiting their sins in judgment have on them?

Quote:
4. Why doesn’t the truth cause backsliders to suffer and die now?

T: It does cause then to suffer, at least to some extent. The full revelation of what they've done waits for the judgment.

M: How does the truth cause sinners to suffer now? For example, how does paying for a meal on Sabbath cause backsliders to suffer?

T: I don't know what made you think of "backsliders" "paying for a meal on Sabbath," but it made me think of the following by Ty Gibson: The truth that sets us free is the truth about God.

The question is - Why doesn’t the truth cause backsliders to suffer and die now? Do you think not knowing the truth about God is what causes evil men and angels to suffer now? Is the truth about God necessary for salvation? If so, how can God sentence them to death in judgment if they never knew it?

Quote:
5.What does God do to arbitrarily prevent death now?

You're asking why God arbitrarily does something. What makes you think God is acting arbitrarily?

If God isn’t arbitrarily preventing the truth from causing evil men and angels from dying now, how is He keeping them alive?

Quote:
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

6. Please explain the literal meaning of the passage above.

I think this EW passage, and the GC 672-673 passages, should be studied in conjunction with passages such as DA 107-108, DA 764, GC 535-536, and GC 541-543. I've already given my opinion as to the meaning of these passages.

M: Do you think the fire God rains down upon them symbolizes revisiting their sins in judgment?

T: Please quote something I've said, and ask me about that.

What is your “opinion”? Do you think the fire God rains down upon them symbolizes revisiting their sins in judgment? If not, what?

Quote:
In what sense are they “many days consuming”?

T: I think this is referring to the suffering of the wicked.

Consuming = suffering? What is being consumed?

Quote:
7. Is it describing revisiting their sins in judgment?

It's describing the judgment.

M: Do you think judgment involves resurrected sinners revisiting their sins?

T: That is a thing which is involved.

Why does it cause them to suffer? And, what else is “involved”?

Quote:
8.Or, it is describing events that unfold after judgment?

M: Why, then, in the GC does it say the fire is rained down after the end of judgment? Here’s the chronology:

1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed.”
2. “. . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
3. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
4. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah.”
5. “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
6. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
7. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." . . . In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed”.

T: I think this passage needs to be studied in conjunction with other passages which discuss the destruction of the wicked, including GC 535-536, 541-543; DA 107-108; DA 764.

Why do you think your interpretation is absent in the description I quoted above?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120983
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
“God destroys sinners by fully revealing to them His character, kindness, goodness, mercy, and love.” Jesus fully revealed these attributes while He was here in the flesh. The effect divinity flashing through humanity had on sinners while Jesus was here in the flesh is a glimpse of what it will be like for sinners in judgment.

9. Why didn’t the full revelation of the attributes of God cause sinners to suffer and die while Jesus was here in the flesh?

It did cause them to suffer. They ran from Jesus as fast as they could. They were able to get away from Him, as He was confined here, but the wicked will have nowhere to hide later on, which is why they cry for the mountains to fall on them.

M: They will not cry for the mountains to fall on them. See chronology above. Also, why do you think short exposures to the full revelation of God are non-lethal? Why didn’t it cause them to die when Jesus was here in the flesh?

T: The following says virtually this: It says "they would welcome destruction." Calling for a mountain to fall on you is simply another way of expressing this thought. So the meaning I was conveying was accurate, if not the actual expression used. I'm sorry that you think of God's revelation in terms of "short exposures," apparently as if it were like radioactive material or something like that.

You say divinity flashing through humanity did not cause people to suffer and die because they were able to flee His presence. Why not? You say it will cause them to suffer and die in judgment, right? If so, why didn’t it have the same effect back then?

Quote:
10.Did God do something arbitrary to prevent it?

No, He let them run away.

M: Why is the physical presence of God necessary to cause sinners to suffer and die?

T: It appears to me that you're still thinking of things in physical terms, so this looks to be a false assumption. Also, why do you think God's physical presence is necessary for either suffering or death to occur? Surely you've seen suffering and death apart from God's physical presence.

Why did “running away” from Jesus prevent sinners from suffering and dying? If it were possible to hide from God in judgment, would evil men and angels avoid suffering and death? Also, do you think judgment involves anything physical?

Quote:
11. Why will resurrected sinners continue to live after they finish revisiting their sins in judgment?

They die afterward.

M: How long afterward? Why doesn’t it cause them to die immediately?

T: It's altogether.

Some live longer than others. They do not die at the same time. I hear you saying more sin means more life. Less sin means less life. Why do you think having more sin means sinners will live longer before they die?

Quote:
12.What will be the source of their life – the breath of life?

God is the sourse of life.

M: Not the breath of life?

T: No. God is the source of life.

Is the breath of life absent?

Quote:
What does He do to keep them alive during judgment?

God does many things to keep people alive. I'm sure I couldn't list them all.

Name the primary ones. That is, what He does to keep them alive 1) during judgment, and 2) after judgment.

Quote:
Why doesn’t revisiting their first sin cause them to die?

I think it would be better to think of things in terms of the principles involved. The GC 541-543 passage would be good to consider in this regard.

Is there a principle that enables sinners to sin without dying? If so, why and how does it work?

Quote:
13.If not, what?

God is the source of life.

M: Are they connected to God? Or, are they separated from Him?

T: The righteous are connected to God, and the unrighteous are separated.

How can people separated from the source of life live?

Quote:
14.Why won’t comprehending the truth or revisiting their sins cause them to die?

They do die after comprehending the truth.

M: Not right away. Why?

T: It appears to me that they do die in conjunction with realizing the truth. I think GC 541-543 brings this out.

How does realizing the truth cause them to die? Does it cause brain, blood, and breath function to cease? Why doesn’t it cause them to die right away?

Quote:
15.What is the difference between suffering for our sins now and suffering for them in judgment?

Why do you think there's a difference?

M: You said judgment makes a difference between how and why they suffer. Did I misunderstand you? If not, how and why is it different?

T: Why don't you quote what I said and I'll comment.

It would take to long to find it. Do you think realizing the truth now causes sinners to suffer and die for the same reasons they will in judgment? If so, why would it be necessary for it to happen again?

Quote:
16. How do you define death as it relates to the wicked?

It's an experience similar to the one Christ went through on the cross, which involves feelings of condemnations, hope and despair.

M: But not death?

T: No, I didn't say that.

How, then, do you define death as it relates to the wicked? I’m not talking about suffering. I’m talking about death.

Quote:
17.And, what do you think will cause them to die?

Their sin.

M: Not truth?

T: The inevitable result of sin is death. Not truth.

Do you think sin will cause their brain, blood, and breath to cease? Or, do you think truth will?

Quote:
What is your definition of death? Does it involve the functions of brain, blood, and breath? Or, does God keep them alive whether these are functioning or not?

If you're talking about the second death, it involves the things which Christ experienced. This is the primary aspect. Of course, the wicked will cease to exists, which is a part of the second death. Christ did not cease to exist, which is why I don't think it's accurate to say that He died the second death, but we can say He suffered it, or tasted it (inspiration uses both of these terms), and I think the best way to understand what the wicked will experience is to consider Christ's experience on the cross and in Gethsemane.

You didn’t answer the question. You talked about suffering – not death.

Quote:
19. What does God do to arbitrarily prevent evil angels from suffering and dying?

Why do you think He does this?

M: Because they’re not dead. Why?

I'm not sure what you're asking. First of all, I'm not sure why you think God is doing something arbitrarily. If what you're asking is why God didn't leave Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, it is so the principles Satan was espousing could be seen.

Do you think the fact evil angels are alive is natural and normal, that God does nothing to prevent them from reaping the results of sinning?

Quote:
21. What will evil angels learn about God in judgment that they don’t already know?

Why do you think they will learn something new about God?

M: Do you think they will learn anything new about God, something they are not already aware of?

T: I haven't thought about this. Why are you asking?

Because you say truth will cause them to die. But if they already know the truth why hasn’t it caused them to die?

Quote:
24.Also, will the knowledge they now have cause them to suffer and die in judgment?

What knowledge?

M: The truth they knew about God before they rebelled.

T: It's a part of what they know. I don't see how you could separate one's knowledge into different parts, what one knows before or after a certain point in time. It all gets jumbled together in our minds. I'm not sure if this is what you were wanting to get at or not.

Ellen says they knew God perfectly. Why doesn’t it cause them to die now?

Quote:
T: That's 25 questions. That seems a bit excessive. Many of them seem repetitive, and many have been asked before. I think it would be good to limit the number of questions.

M: I only expected 10 answers to the 10 questions I asked. Some questions qualified others. One answer should have sufficed.

T: You asked over twice as many questions than 10. When you ask multiple questions together, it's your intent that I just answer one of them? If so, that's fine, I'll do that.

The 10 original questions dealt with main points.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #120986
10/26/09 06:05 PM
10/26/09 06:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: God cannot sin. It is impossible. Jesus did not sin. He will never sin.

K: If by saying Jesus will never sin means Jesus could not sin, then did Jesus risk anything by coming here? That no matter what He did, it would not be sin?

M: Jesus did not sin. He was tempted to sin while He was here in the flesh, but He chose not to sin. Theoretically He could have sinned if He had wanted to, but not once did He want to. Do you agree?

K: I do agree that it was possible for Jesus to sin. Maybe I was confused by you saying Jesus will never sin. Why did you say that?

Because it's true. Do you agree?

Quote:
If Jesus is a reflection of God, and if Jesus were to call 10,000 angels down to kill the Pharisees, why would that be sin? Or would it? If everything that God, or Jesus as His reflection, does is righteous, who are we to question His righteousness? By what standards would Jesus' actions be deemed unrighteous?

Please consider the following insight:

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?--12MR 207-209; 10MR 265 (1876). {LDE 241.3}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120987
10/26/09 06:11 PM
10/26/09 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

Why would beholding the glory of the form of the person of God cause Ellen to cease to exist?

It would be similar to Isaiah's experience, where he said, "Woe is me, I am undone." Seeing God's character made plain to him his own character, which he couldn't bear. It would have been similar to that, but worse.

1.Did Isaiah see the glory of the form of the person of God?

God's glory is His character. He saw that.

Quote:
2.If so, why didn’t it cause him to cease to exist?

God limited the revelation so it wouldn't kill him.

Quote:
3.Also, do you think the glory of the form of the person of God refers to His righteous traits of character rather than to the form of His person?

I believe it refers to God's traits of character, yes.

Quote:

In what sense would she have ceased to exist?

To expire.

4.Do you think her brain, blood, and breath functions would have ceased?

If she expired you mean? Yes, that's what "to expire" means.

Quote:
5.If so, why and how would it have caused them to cease?

What the angel said.

Quote:
6.Or, do you think “fire” would have consumed her like Nadab and Abihu?

No.

Quote:
7.If so, why and how would it have caused her to die?

NA.

Quote:

How can comprehending the truth set sinners free now if it will cause them to suffer and die in judgment?

T: Those in the second resurrection are those who have hardened their hearts against God's mercy and grace. Responding to the mercy and grace of God sets sinners free.

M: Jesus said, “The truth shall set you free.”

T: “Satan sees that his voluntary rebellion has unfitted him for heaven. He has trained his powers to war against God; the purity, peace, and harmony of heaven would be to him supreme torture. His accusations against the mercy and justice of God are now silenced. The reproach which he has endeavored to cast upon Jehovah rests wholly upon himself. And now Satan bows down and confesses the justice of his sentence....Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth.(GC 670,671)

The same principle applies to the wicked. The truth sets one free if its principles are received into the soul.

8.Do you think acknowledging the justice of God is sentencing them to death is what will cause evil men and angels to suffer and die?

I think their sin results in their death. Wherever there is sin it is inevitable that there will be suffering and death. This is because sin is based on the principle of selfishness, which can only result in these things.

Quote:
9.Is this the “truth” you have in mind when you say “truth” is what will cause sinners to suffer in judgment and die?

No. It's a truth, however.

Quote:
10.What effect will revisiting their sins in judgment have on them?

It will be unpleasant.

Quote:

Why doesn’t the truth cause backsliders to suffer and die now?

T: It does cause then to suffer, at least to some extent. The full revelation of what they've done waits for the judgment.

M: How does the truth cause sinners to suffer now? For example, how does paying for a meal on Sabbath cause backsliders to suffer?

T: I don't know what made you think of "backsliders" "paying for a meal on Sabbath," but it made me think of the following by Ty Gibson: The truth that sets us free is the truth about God.

11.The question is - Why doesn’t the truth cause backsliders to suffer and die now?

It does cause them to suffer now. Many also die because of troubled consciences or the results that such leads to, such as drink or other vices. Some choose not to think about such things, and stifle the Holy Spirit, and suffer sickness and disease, and die because of that. The mind and the body are interconnected, so stifling the Holy Spirit can have all sorts of adverse effects.

Quote:
12.Do you think not knowing the truth about God is what causes evil men and angels to suffer now?

It's something which can cause them to suffer. There are many reasons evil people suffer. I haven't commented on angels, and think it would be better to treat them separately.

Quote:
13.Is the truth about God necessary for salvation?

Yes. Eternal life consists of knowing God.

Quote:
14.If so, how can God sentence them to death in judgment if they never knew it?

He couldn't. No one will be judged who did not reject salvation.

Quote:

What does God do to arbitrarily prevent death now?

You're asking why God arbitrarily does something. What makes you think God is acting arbitrarily?

15.If God isn’t arbitrarily preventing the truth from causing evil men and angels from dying now, how is He keeping them alive?

Why do you think God is acting arbitrarily?

Quote:

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Please explain the literal meaning of the passage above.

I think this EW passage, and the GC 672-673 passages, should be studied in conjunction with passages such as DA 107-108, DA 764, GC 535-536, and GC 541-543. I've already given my opinion as to the meaning of these passages.

M: Do you think the fire God rains down upon them symbolizes revisiting their sins in judgment?

T: Please quote something I've said, and ask me about that.

16.What is your “opinion”?

My opinion is that you should quote something I've said, and ask me about that.

Quote:
17.Do you think the fire God rains down upon them symbolizes revisiting their sins in judgment? If not, what?

In DA 764, it says that the glory of Him who is love will destroy them. In DA 108, it says that the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. This is identified by logic and context as being the revelation of God's character. I think the fire coming down from heaven, in the context of DA 764 and DA 108, represents God's character of love.

I think there will also be literal fire coming from the beneath the earth's crust. A number of parallels exist between the flood and the destruction by fire, so it seems likely that as the waters burst forth from the great depths, so will the fires below.

So, depending upon the context, the first could be either literal or symbolic.

Quote:

In what sense are they “many days consuming”?

T: I think this is referring to the suffering of the wicked.

18.Consuming = suffering?

No.

Quote:
19.What is being consumed?

The wicked and sin are consumed. How this takes place is described in DA 107-108.

Quote:

Is it describing revisiting their sins in judgment?

M: Do you think judgment involves resurrected sinners revisiting their sins?

T: That is a thing which is involved.

20.Why does it cause them to suffer?

I quoted from the last chapter of "The Great Controversy." The description she gave of what Satan will go through applies to the wicked as well (not every specific detail, of course, but the principles she lays out). These things result in "weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Quote:
21.And, what else is “involved”?

The things described in the last chapter of "The Great Controversy" which I quoted.

Quote:

Or, it is describing events that unfold after judgment?

M: Why, then, in the GC does it say the fire is rained down after the end of judgment? Here’s the chronology:

1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed.”
3. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
4. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah.”
5. “Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
6. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
7. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." . . . In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed”.

T: I think this passage needs to be studied in conjunction with other passages which discuss the destruction of the wicked, including GC 535-536, 541-543; DA 107-108; DA 764.

22.Why do you think your interpretation is absent in the description I quoted above?

It's not my interpretation. I didn't write DA 764, nor the other passages I mentioned. As to why Ellen White didn't write all things things in the same place, she probably felt they fit better in the places where she wrote them.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120988
10/26/09 06:43 PM
10/26/09 06:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: So, truth (information, knowledge) causes them to suffer in judgment. But what causes sinners to suffer now?

T: All sorts of things cause people to suffer. Losing loved ones. Tooth aches. Etc.

Does this kind of knowledge cause sinners to die? If not, why not? Does God work to prevent it?

Quote:
T: By the way, to think of truth as "information" or "knowledge" is a rather superficial way of looking at it, IMO.

Do you think knowledge of tooth aches is superficial?

Quote:
T: In regards to whether the same things cause the wicked to suffer now that will cause them to suffer in the judgment, yes, to some degree. The degree is much less because the wicked can choose not to consider the truth. The reason they suffer now is because they "fight against the pricks." When one responds to the Holy Spirit, instead of fighting against the pricks, one can experience repentance, and become righteous by faith, instead of remaining wicked.

How will knowledge of tooth aches cause more suffering in judgment?

Quote:
M: And, does it serve to inspire, motivate them to cease sinning now?

T: Yes, unless it's rejected.

How can suffering be rejected?

Quote:
M: Will it serve the same purpose in judgment? If not, why not?

T: It won't serve the same purpose because it won't be accepted.

How can suffering not be accepted?

Quote:
M: What kind of truth (information, knowledge) will they learn (acquire, understand, comprehend) in judgment?

T: Again, spiritual truth involves more than information or knowledge. The kind of truth is that brought out in the last chapter of "The Great Controversy," where each individual is made aware of the Plan of Salvation, their sin, where the rejected Christ's voice, etc.

In the mind and heart of resurrected sinners what is the difference between spiritual truth and information? Also, how will God make them aware of spiritual truth in judgment?

Quote:
M: Did they know it before they died? If not, why not?

T: They rejected the truth, choosing to believe a lie instead.

Why, then, didn’t it cause them to die when they rejected it?

Quote:
M: Why is comprehending truth necessary to suffer in judgment?

T: Why do you think it's necessary?

I don’t. Do you? I think the radiant firelight of God will cause them to suffer and die. I don’t think they are capable of comprehending truth in a way that will cause them to die. They’re too sin-hardened.

Quote:
M: Isn’t sin sufficient to cause suffering and death in judgment?

T: Sin does cause suffering and death in the judgment. One can suffer with or without truth being revealed. Wherever sin is present, suffering and death is inevitable. The purpose of revealing truth is not to make the wicked suffer. That's an effect, but not a purpose.

If sin is sufficient to cause sinners to die, why, then, does God force them to comprehend the truth? And, why doesn’t sin or comprehension of truth cause them to die now?

Quote:
M: If memory serves me right, you believe whenever the Bible says "fire" from God or heaven resulted in sinners being burned alive - 1) they were burned alive instantly . . .

T: No.

What then?

Quote:
2) it was not equivalent to torture,

T: Yes.

Why not?

Quote:
3) it was fire that naturally exists in the air,

T: Not sure what you're getting at here. All fire needs oxygen to burn, so it exists in air.

What kind of fire do you think burned them alive?

Quote:
4) God works unnaturally to prevent it from burning sinners alive,

What is preventing it from burning sinners alive now?

Quote:
and 5)God simply ceased preventing it and allowed it to burn selected sinners alive.

Why did it only burn selected sinners alive?

Quote:
T: . . . I don't think there's any need to consider Nadab and Abihu to understand the destruction of the wicked. However, considering the cross would be very useful.

Would you recommend studying the Flood and Sodom?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120989
10/26/09 06:53 PM
10/26/09 06:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
“God destroys sinners by fully revealing to them His character, kindness, goodness, mercy, and love.” Jesus fully revealed these attributes while He was here in the flesh. The effect divinity flashing through humanity had on sinners while Jesus was here in the flesh is a glimpse of what it will be like for sinners in judgment.

Why didn’t the full revelation of the attributes of God cause sinners to suffer and die while Jesus was here in the flesh?

It did cause them to suffer. They ran from Jesus as fast as they could. They were able to get away from Him, as He was confined here, but the wicked will have nowhere to hide later on, which is why they cry for the mountains to fall on them.

M: They will not cry for the mountains to fall on them. See chronology above. Also, why do you think short exposures to the full revelation of God are non-lethal? Why didn’t it cause them to die when Jesus was here in the flesh?

T: The following says virtually this: It says "they would welcome destruction." Calling for a mountain to fall on you is simply another way of expressing this thought. So the meaning I was conveying was accurate, if not the actual expression used. I'm sorry that you think of God's revelation in terms of "short exposures," apparently as if it were like radioactive material or something like that.

23.You say divinity flashing through humanity did not cause people to suffer and die because they were able to flee His presence. Why not?

It did cause them suffering, which is why they ran away.

Quote:
24.You say it will cause them to suffer and die in judgment, right?

I've said that sin results in suffering and death. I've said this consists of different things, which includes what you're asking about. I've not said that this specific thing only causes their suffering and death, but that sin does.

Quote:
25.If so, why didn’t it have the same effect back then?

It did have the effect of causing suffering. They ran away from Christ's presence. Also the divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.

Quote:

Did God do something arbitrary to prevent it?

No, He let them run away.

M: Why is the physical presence of God necessary to cause sinners to suffer and die?

T: It appears to me that you're still thinking of things in physical terms, so this looks to be a false assumption. Also, why do you think God's physical presence is necessary for either suffering or death to occur? Surely you've seen suffering and death apart from God's physical presence.

26.Why did “running away” from Jesus prevent sinners from suffering and dying?

For the reasons brought out by DA 108.

Quote:
27.If it were possible to hide from God in judgment, would evil men and angels avoid suffering and death?

They could for that cause, but sin causes suffering and death in many ways, not just one. It's impossible for those who choose the law of sin, which is selfishness, to avoid suffering and death. Wherever sin is found, it is inevitable that there will be suffering and death.

Quote:
28.Also, do you think judgment involves anything physical?

Yes, as I've said many times.

Quote:

Why will resurrected sinners continue to live after they finish revisiting their sins in judgment?

They die afterward.

M: 29.How long afterward?

In the same general time period.

Quote:
30.Why doesn’t it cause them to die immediately?

If a person were to die before they had been judged, that would defeat the purpose of the judgment.

Quote:
T: It's altogether.

M:Some live longer than others. They do not die at the same time. I hear you saying more sin means more life.

Sin means more suffering.

Quote:
Less sin means less life.

Less sin means less suffering.

Quote:
31.Why do you think having more sin means sinners will live longer before they die?

I think more sin means more suffering. If there is more sin to reveal, that takes longer to get through.

Quote:

What will be the source of their life – the breath of life?

M: Not the breath of life?

T: No. God is the source of life.

32.Is the breath of life absent?

Absent from what?

Quote:

What does He do to keep them alive during judgment?

God does many things to keep people alive. I'm sure I couldn't list them all.

33.Name the primary ones. That is, what He does to keep them alive 1) during judgment, and 2) after judgment.

The "Ministry of Healing" discusses some of the things God does to enable people to live. In addition, DA 764 tells us that if God had permitted Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would perish, so God does not allow that to happen prematurely.

Quote:

Why doesn’t revisiting their first sin cause them to die?

I think it would be better to think of things in terms of the principles involved. The GC 541-543 passage would be good to consider in this regard.

34.Is there a principle that enables sinners to sin without dying?

No, not a principle.

Quote:
35.If so, why and how does it work?

NA.

Quote:

If not, what?

M: Are they connected to God? Or, are they separated from Him?

T: The righteous are connected to God, and the unrighteous are separated.

36.How can people separated from the source of life live?

From DA 764:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.

Quote:

Why won’t comprehending the truth or revisiting their sins cause them to die?

They do die after comprehending the truth.

M: Not right away. Why?

T: It appears to me that they do die in conjunction with realizing the truth. I think GC 541-543 brings this out.

37.How does realizing the truth cause them to die?

I wrote they die in conjunction with realizing the truth. I said that GC 541-543 brings this out.

Quote:
38.Does it cause brain, blood, and breath function to cease?

Read GC 541-543.

Quote:
39. Why doesn’t it cause them to die right away?

This has been asked and answered.

Quote:

What is the difference between suffering for our sins now and suffering for them in judgment?

Why do you think there's a difference?

M: You said judgment makes a difference between how and why they suffer. Did I misunderstand you? If not, how and why is it different?

T: Why don't you quote what I said and I'll comment.

It would take to long to find it. 40.Do you think realizing the truth now causes sinners to suffer and die for the same reasons they will in judgment?

I already answered this.

Quote:
41.If so, why would it be necessary for it to happen again?

The judgment didn't happen previously. If by "the same reasons" you mean "similar reasons," I'm sure the suffering involved in the judgment will be for the same reasons people suffer for here. There's only so many ways a person can suffer. However, if you mean by "the same reasons," exactly the same circumstances, then there's a different, since the judgment is different than anything that happened previously.

Quote:

How do you define death as it relates to the wicked?

It's an experience similar to the one Christ went through on the cross, which involves feelings of condemnations, hope and despair.

M: But not death?

T: No, I didn't say that.

42.How, then, do you define death as it relates to the wicked? I’m not talking about suffering. I’m talking about death.

If you're talking about the second death, I'd say consider what Christ went through on Calvary. Of course, Christ overcame by faith, and the wicked won't do that, but Christ felt the anguish they will feel. Of course a part of the second death is that they will stop thinking and lose consciousness forever.

Quote:

And, what do you think will cause them to die?

Their sin.

M: Not truth?

T: The inevitable result of sin is death. Not truth.

43.Do you think sin will cause their brain, blood, and breath to cease?[quote]

Yes.

[quote]44. Or, do you think truth will?

The inevitable result of sin is death. Not truth.

Quote:

What is your definition of death? Does it involve the functions of brain, blood, and breath? Or, does God keep them alive whether these are functioning or not?

If you're talking about the second death, it involves the things which Christ experienced. This is the primary aspect. Of course, the wicked will cease to exists, which is a part of the second death. Christ did not cease to exist, which is why I don't think it's accurate to say that He died the second death, but we can say He suffered it, or tasted it (inspiration uses both of these terms), and I think the best way to understand what the wicked will experience is to consider Christ's experience on the cross and in Gethsemane.

You didn’t answer the question.[quote]

Yes I did.

[quote]You talked about suffering – not death.

I talked about the second death.

Quote:

What does God do to arbitrarily prevent evil angels from suffering and dying?

Why do you think He does this?

M: Because they’re not dead. Why?

I'm not sure what you're asking. First of all, I'm not sure why you think God is doing something arbitrarily. If what you're asking is why God didn't leave Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, it is so the principles Satan was espousing could be seen.

45.Do you think the fact evil angels are alive is natural and normal, that God does nothing to prevent them from reaping the results of sinning?

I think, as DA 764 says, God does not leave them to reap the full result of their sin prematurely because if He did, again as DA 764 says, they would perish, because, again as per DA 764, the inevitable result of sin is death.

Quote:

21. What will evil angels learn about God in judgment that they don’t already know?

Why do you think they will learn something new about God?

M: Do you think they will learn anything new about God, something they are not already aware of?

T: I haven't thought about this. Why are you asking?

46.Because you say truth will cause them to die.

I recall saying quite a number of times that sin causes them to die. Indeed, you asked me if it was sin or truth that cause them to die, and I said sin. You've asked me this question quite a few times now, and each time I've answered that sin causes them to die. I think I've affirmed this several dozen times, if not several hundred times. So why are you affirming that I've said that truth will cause them to die? Could you quote something I've said please?

Quote:
47.But if they already know the truth why hasn’t it caused them to die?

Why do you think they already know the truth?

Quote:

Also, will the knowledge they now have cause them to suffer and die in judgment?

What knowledge?

M: The truth they knew about God before they rebelled.

T: It's a part of what they know. I don't see how you could separate one's knowledge into different parts, what one knows before or after a certain point in time. It all gets jumbled together in our minds. I'm not sure if this is what you were wanting to get at or not.

48.Ellen says they knew God perfectly. Why doesn’t it cause them to die now?

Let's consider the angels separately.

Quote:

T: That's 25 questions. That seems a bit excessive. Many of them seem repetitive, and many have been asked before. I think it would be good to limit the number of questions.

M: I only expected 10 answers to the 10 questions I asked. Some questions qualified others. One answer should have sufficed.

T: You asked over twice as many questions than 10. When you ask multiple questions together, it's your intent that I just answer one of them? If so, that's fine, I'll do that.

The 10 original questions dealt with main points.

We're up to 48 questions now. Many of them are repetitive. I think these could be better organized. For example, instead of asking 48 separate questions, you could group things into the principles involved, and ask questions about that.

Also, I've referred a number of times to a detailed post I wrote, and have also suggested studying this topic in relation to the cross. Doing either of these things, or both, might be helpful in terms of organizing principles to discuss or ask questions regarding.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120990
10/26/09 07:30 PM
10/26/09 07:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I think the fire coming down from heaven, in the context of DA 764 and DA 108, represents God's character of love.

Where in the 7 point detailed chronology below do you think “fire” symbolizes the love of God?

Quote:
I think there will also be literal fire coming from the beneath the earth's crust. A number of parallels exist between the flood and the destruction by fire, so it seems likely that as the waters burst forth from the great depths, so will the fires below. So, depending upon the context, the first could be either literal or symbolic.

“In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.” Are they destroyed during judgment or after they die? “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days.”

“While the earth is wrapped in the fire of God's vengeance, the righteous abide safely in the Holy City.” How does abiding in the Holy City protect the righteous from the fire of God’s vengeance? You seem to think the wicked will not be harmed by the fire engulfing the earth, why would it be unsafe for the righteous?

“The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men—‘the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.’ Isaiah 34:8. The wicked receive their recompense in the earth.” She says the earth is engulfed in flames and that in this state they are recompensed (rewarded) for their sins. Do you think the earth will be engulfed in flames while the wicked are revisiting their sins in judgment?

Quote:
I quoted from the last chapter of "The Great Controversy." The description she gave of what Satan will go through applies to the wicked as well (not every specific detail, of course, but the principles she lays out). These things result in "weeping and gnashing of teeth."

His suffering in judgment does not result in death. Far from it! Instead, it results in him wanting to take New Jerusalem by force. The wicked respond in a very different way. They attempt to kill Satan. But fire from God intervenes. Do you think this fire intervenes before, during, or after judgment?

The following is a detailed chronology of events extracted from the GC. Do you think 1-3 and 7 are simultaneous? Do you think 4-6 happen after 7? If not, please explain what you do think.

PS - Please feel free to explain where you think details from other places fit in this timeline.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120996
10/26/09 08:41 PM
10/26/09 08:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: So, truth (information, knowledge) causes them to suffer in judgment. But what causes sinners to suffer now?

T: All sorts of things cause people to suffer. Losing loved ones. Tooth aches. Etc.

1.Does this kind of knowledge cause sinners to die?

Sin causes death.

Quote:
2.If not, why not?

This question doesn't appear to make sense.

Quote:
3.Does God work to prevent it?

Nor this one.

Quote:

T: By the way, to think of truth as "information" or "knowledge" is a rather superficial way of looking at it, IMO.

4.Do you think knowledge of tooth aches is superficial?

Nor this one.

Quote:

T: In regards to whether the same things cause the wicked to suffer now that will cause them to suffer in the judgment, yes, to some degree. The degree is much less because the wicked can choose not to consider the truth. The reason they suffer now is because they "fight against the pricks." When one responds to the Holy Spirit, instead of fighting against the pricks, one can experience repentance, and become righteous by faith, instead of remaining wicked.

5.How will knowledge of tooth aches cause more suffering in judgment?

Nor this one.

Quote:

M: And, does it serve to inspire, motivate them to cease sinning now?

T: Yes, unless it's rejected.

6.How can suffering be rejected?

Nor this one!

Quote:

M: Will it serve the same purpose in judgment? If not, why not?

T: It won't serve the same purpose because it won't be accepted.

7.How can suffering not be accepted?

Ditto.

Quote:

M: What kind of truth (information, knowledge) will they learn (acquire, understand, comprehend) in judgment?

T: Again, spiritual truth involves more than information or knowledge. The kind of truth is that brought out in the last chapter of "The Great Controversy," where each individual is made aware of the Plan of Salvation, their sin, where the rejected Christ's voice, etc.

8.In the mind and heart of resurrected sinners what is the difference between spiritual truth and information?

Information is in the realm of the intellect, whereas spiritual truth involves the whole of man, which entails more than merely the intellect.

Quote:
9.Also, how will God make them aware of spiritual truth in judgment?

Yes.

Quote:

M: Did they know it before they died? If not, why not?

T: They rejected the truth, choosing to believe a lie instead.

10.Why, then, didn’t it cause them to die when they rejected it?

It does result in the second death, but not until the resurrection, when the judgment occurs. The wicked do not die (the second death) until the judgment.

Quote:

M: Why is comprehending truth necessary to suffer in judgment?

T: Why do you think it's necessary?

11.I don’t. Do you?

No. It's not necessary to comprehend truth in order to suffer in the judgment. Comprehending truth in the judgment does cause suffering however.

Quote:
I think the radiant firelight of God will cause them to suffer and die.

IMO this is a very superficial view of things.

Quote:
I don’t think they are capable of comprehending truth in a way that will cause them to die. They’re too sin-hardened.

Ok, I understand your idea.

Quote:

M: Isn’t sin sufficient to cause suffering and death in judgment?

T: Sin does cause suffering and death in the judgment. One can suffer with or without truth being revealed. Wherever sin is present, suffering and death is inevitable. The purpose of revealing truth is not to make the wicked suffer. That's an effect, but not a purpose.

12.If sin is sufficient to cause sinners to die, why, then, does God force them to comprehend the truth?

Why do you think this is something God does?

Quote:
13.And, why doesn’t sin or comprehension of truth cause them to die now?

Sin does result in death now, the first death. The second death doesn't happen until the judgment.

Quote:

M: If memory serves me right, you believe whenever the Bible says "fire" from God or heaven resulted in sinners being burned alive - 1) they were burned alive instantly . . .

14.What then?

I don't see any point in discussing Nadam and Abihu.

Quote:

2) it was not equivalent to torture,

T: Yes.

15.Why not?

Force and violence are not principles of God's government. Interpretations which have these ideas are incorrect, IMO.

Quote:

3) it was fire that naturally exists in the air,

T: Not sure what you're getting at here. All fire needs oxygen to burn, so it exists in air.

16.What kind of fire do you think burned them alive?

What's this talking about? Do you mean what was the accelerant used?

Quote:

4) God works unnaturally to prevent it from burning sinners alive,

17.What is preventing it from burning sinners alive now?

God doesn't allow sinners to reap the full result of their sin, as per DA 764.

Quote:

and 5)God simply ceased preventing it and allowed it to burn selected sinners alive.

18.Why did it only burn selected sinners alive?

What are you talking about?

Quote:

T: . . . I don't think there's any need to consider Nadab and Abihu to understand the destruction of the wicked. However, considering the cross would be very useful.

19.Would you recommend studying the Flood and Sodom?

I'd recommend studying first the things I mentioned. I think it's very unlikely one would understand the Flood and Sodom without understanding the judgment. It seems that way to me. And understanding the judgment apart from the cross seems difficult to me as well (in addition to EGW's comment that all truths, to be understood, need to be studied in the light of Calvary).

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120997
10/26/09 08:46 PM
10/26/09 08:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I think the fire coming down from heaven, in the context of DA 764 and DA 108, represents God's character of love.

Where in the 7 point detailed chronology below do you think “fire” symbolizes the love of God?

It's not necessarily chronological. She could be doubling back. She does that. Scripture too.

Quote:
T:I think there will also be literal fire coming from the beneath the earth's crust. A number of parallels exist between the flood and the destruction by fire, so it seems likely that as the waters burst forth from the great depths, so will the fires below. So, depending upon the context, the first could be either literal or symbolic.

M:“In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.” Are they destroyed during judgment or after they die? “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days.”

“While the earth is wrapped in the fire of God's vengeance, the righteous abide safely in the Holy City.” How does abiding in the Holy City protect the righteous from the fire of God’s vengeance?

The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. Isa. 33 brings this out as well. It's not being in a physical place that saves the righteous from God's vengeance (which is His goodness; remember that evil is overcome by good), but being in a spiritual place that saves them. They are safe because they are in Christ.

Quote:
You seem to think the wicked will not be harmed by the fire engulfing the earth, why would it be unsafe for the righteous?

I think the wicked will be burned up by the fire which engulfs the earth. I don't understand the unsafe for the righteous question.

Quote:
“The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men—‘the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.’ Isaiah 34:8. The wicked receive their recompense in the earth.” She says the earth is engulfed in flames and that in this state they are recompensed (rewarded) for their sins. Do you think the earth will be engulfed in flames while the wicked are revisiting their sins in judgment?

No.

Page 40 of 105 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!