I came across Montanism in wikipedia and the parallels to Ernie Knoll are surprising, but its similarity to Pentecostalism even more important. As its emphasis on direct, ecstatic personal presence of the Holy Spirit bears resemblance to all forms of Pentecostalism. “It [Montanism] claimed to be a religion of the Holy Spirit and was marked by ecstatic outbursts which it regarded as the only true form of Christianity”. Let me give you the background.

"..Montanism was an early Christian movement of the early 2nd century, named after its founder Montanus. Montanus traveled among the rural settlements of Asia Minor after his conversion, and preached and testified what he purported to be the Word of God. He claimed to have received a series of direct revelations from the Holy Spirit. In some of his prophecies Montanus spoke in the first person as God. Montanus was accompanied by two women, Prisca, sometimes called Priscilla, and Maximilla, who likewise claimed the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. As they went, "the Three" as they were called, spoke in ecstatic visions and urged their followers to fast and pray, so that they might share these personal revelations. Prisca claimed that Christ had appeared to her in female form. When she was excommunicated, she exclaimed "I am driven away like the wolf from the sheep. I am no wolf: I am word and spirit and power."

It is generally agreed that the movement was inspired by Montanus' reading of the Gospel of John— "I will send you the advocate, the spirit of truth" (Heine 1987, 1989; Groh 1985). The response to this split the Christian communities, and the more orthodox clergy mostly fought to suppress it. Bishop Apollinarius found the church at Ancyra torn in two, and he opposed the "false prophesy" .

Interesting, it seems as if evil has tried every form of imitation to draw believers from the truth, but it always ends up empty of substance, and just a form of false worship.

Last edited by Richard; 10/31/09 12:47 PM.