HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121293
11/05/09 03:52 PM
11/05/09 03:52 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
You may also want to check the material in this week's Sabbath School Lesson regarding this:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09d/less06.html#tue

Here also is the discussion thread on this week's study:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121211#Post121211

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121295
11/05/09 05:15 PM
11/05/09 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dedication, I'm not following you. It sounds like you believe not sinning is not possible. It also sounds like you believe the fruit of faith, righteousness and true holiness, is in reality contaminated with sin for one reason or another. Have I misunderstood you? Also, do you think the following passages describe a kind of personal polluted righteousness?

"Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure. . . Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." {1 John 3:3, 7}

"Christ is our pattern, the perfect and holy example that has been given us to follow. We can never equal the Pattern, but we may imitate and resemble it according to our ability. {TMK 265.2}

"He is a perfect and holy example, given for us to imitate. We cannot equal the pattern; but we shall not be approved of God if we do not copy it and, according to the ability which God has given, resemble it. {2T 549.1}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121308
11/06/09 02:44 AM
11/06/09 02:44 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"He will see more clearly his own defects and will feel the need of continual repentance and faith in the blood of Christ."

Some people think this insight implies we will continue to sin in ignorance until the day Jesus returns and replaces our sinful flesh nature and body with sinless ones. Do you agree?

"The nearer they came to perfection of character, the less worthy and righteous they viewed themselves."

Some people think this insight implies the same thing I stated above. Do you agree?

While they do not necessarily mean that converted people will continue to sin in ignorance, it definitely means that at least some converted people can and do have defects that need repentance. IOW, repentance is needed by converted people. Does that mean they sin? Yes, assuming that repentance is needed only for sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121313
11/06/09 03:16 AM
11/06/09 03:16 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"We cannot equal the pattern"

Do you believe you can become so perfect you no longer need the righteousness of Christ to enable you to stand before a Holy God?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121314
11/06/09 03:21 AM
11/06/09 03:21 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
Personally I think those who think they can achieve the righteousness of God have no real concept of the purity and awesome holiness of God's righteousness.

Our part is to stay intimately connected with Christ and walk with Him in humble obedience, laying aside all the sins that so easily beset us and trusting in His righteousness.

Know that today, as you seek His cleansing and walk with HIM following His leading, you are accounted righteous -- not by your own righteousness (which is NEVER GOOD ENOUGH to get you to heaven) but by Christ's.

Our duty is to walk with Him in humble, loving obedience, not try to establish some level of righteousness where we think we are no longer sinning.

The key is surrender.
Placing the will under the will of God.
Of course we are to seek holiness, putting aside all known sin. But don't think there isn't anything else left in your life that needs correcting. There is always more -- more growth needed.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Daryl] #121315
11/06/09 03:26 AM
11/06/09 03:26 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl F
You may also want to check the material in this week's Sabbath School Lesson regarding this:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09d/less06.html#tue

Beautiful quote in that lesson:

Quote:
There are those who have known the pardoning love of Christ and who really desire to be children of God, yet they realize that their character is imperfect, their life faulty, and they are ready to doubt whether their hearts have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. To such I would say, Do not draw back in despair. We shall often have to bow down and weep at the feet of Jesus because of our shortcomings and mistakes, but we are not to be discouraged. Even if we are overcome by the enemy, we are not cast off, not forsaken and rejected of God. No; Christ is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Said the beloved John, "These things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1. And do not forget the words of Christ, "The Father Himself loveth you." John 16:27. He desires to restore you to Himself, to see His own purity and holiness reflected in you. And if you will but yield yourself to Him, He that hath begun a good work in you will carry it forward to the day of Jesus Christ. Pray more fervently; believe more fully. As we come to distrust our own power, let us trust the power of our Redeemer, and we shall praise Him who is the health of our countenance. {SC 64.1}

The closer you come to Jesus, the more faulty you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature. This is evidence that Satan's delusions have lost their power; that the vivifying influence of the Spirit of God is arousing you. {SC 64.2}

No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness. The soul that is transformed by the grace of Christ will admire His divine character; but if we do not see our own moral deformity, it is unmistakable evidence that we have not had a view of the beauty and excellence of Christ. {SC 65.1}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121322
11/06/09 04:46 PM
11/06/09 04:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
"He will see more clearly his own defects and will feel the need of continual repentance and faith in the blood of Christ."

M: Some people think this insight implies we will continue to sin in ignorance until the day Jesus returns and replaces our sinful flesh nature and body with sinless ones. Do you agree?

"The nearer they came to perfection of character, the less worthy and righteous they viewed themselves."

M: Some people think this insight implies the same thing I stated above. Do you agree?

A: While they do not necessarily mean that converted people will continue to sin in ignorance, it definitely means that at least some converted people can and do have defects that need repentance. IOW, repentance is needed by converted people. Does that mean they sin? Yes, assuming that repentance is needed only for sin.

Do you think having defects, weaknesses, and imperfections is the same thing as indulging them and requiring repentance? We are admonished to overcome them, which means to prevent them from resurfacing, to subject them to a sanctified will and mind, to rein them in, to keep them under control. Overcoming them does not mean eliminating them so they no longer tempt or annoy us.

Also, where in the Bible or the SOP does it describe converted Christians successfully abiding in Jesus, successfully recognizing and resisting sin, self, and Satan, successfully growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit? Or, do all the descriptions assume they sin and repent, sin and repent, sin and repent? As far as I know, there is only one passage in the entire Bible where post-conversion sinning is described: 1 John 2:1, 2. And it says "if" not "when" they sin.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121323
11/06/09 05:15 PM
11/06/09 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
M: "We cannot equal the pattern"

D: Do you believe you can become so perfect you no longer need the righteousness of Christ to enable you to stand before a Holy God?

No. I'm sorry if I posted anything that led you to ask this question. The blood and righteousness of Jesus covers our confessed and crucified sins and our sins of ignorance while we are abiding in Him, growing in grace, maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. It does not cover unconfessed and uncrucified sins.

Quote:
M: Dedication, I'm not following you. It sounds like you believe not sinning is not possible. It also sounds like you believe the fruit of faith, righteousness and true holiness, is in reality contaminated with sin for one reason or another. Have I misunderstood you? Also, do you think the following passages describe a kind of personal polluted righteousness?

"Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure. . . Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." {1 John 3:3, 7}

"Christ is our pattern, the perfect and holy example that has been given us to follow. We can never equal the Pattern, but we may imitate and resemble it according to our ability. {TMK 265.2}

"He is a perfect and holy example, given for us to imitate. We cannot equal the pattern; but we shall not be approved of God if we do not copy it and, according to the ability which God has given, resemble it. {2T 549.1}

D: The key is surrender. Placing the will under the will of God. Of course we are to seek holiness, putting aside all known sin. But don't think there isn't anything else left in your life that needs correcting. There is always more -- more growth needed.

I'm still not sure what your answer is to the comments and questions above. Would you mind answering them? Also, the "correcting" and "growth" you mentioned above, is it a gradual process of sinning and repenting less and less often until we finally cease sinning? Or, is it a process of maturing in the fruits of the Spirit?

PS - Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying converted Christians are incapable of resurrecting the old man and reverting back to their former habits of sin or even altogether new sins. Indeed, it happens all too often. And, praise the Lord, 1 John 2:1, 2 makes it clear post-conversion sinning is pardonable. On the other hand, though, Heb 10:26, 27 makes it clear a certain type of sinning is unpardonable. However, my point is the promises of perfection do not envision or assume post-conversion sinning and repenting is normal, acceptable, and unavoidable. Do you agree?

1 John
2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121336
11/07/09 03:24 AM
11/07/09 03:24 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
quote=Mountain Man

"I'm not following you. It sounds like you believe not sinning is not possible.

That depends on the definition of sin.
The rich young ruler asserted to Jesus that He had kept the commandments from his youth up. Jesus quietly reveals that He hadn't been keeping them; he had another god, his first love was his money.

We should come to the place where we no longer knowingly sin. As we come close to Jesus, sin loses it's attraction and power.

Yet, while all our Christian life we are to "be led by the Spirit" and "put to death the deeds of the flesh" or carnal nature, growing in grace and righteousness in Christ to spiritual maturity -- still , I don't believe there is ever a time when we can say "I've arrived, I no longer sin".

M: It also sounds like you believe the fruit of faith, righteousness and true holiness, is in reality contaminated with sin for one reason or another.

Our faith, righteousness and holiness is always laced with sin. Even our prayers,

Quote:
The religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin, ascend from true believers as incense to the heavenly sanctuary: but passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by blood, they can never be of value with God....He [Christ] gathers into this censer the prayers, the praise, and the confessions of His people, and with these He puts His own spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the merits of Christ's propitiation, the incense comes up before God wholly and entirely acceptable. . . . {AG 154.4}
O, that all may see that everything in obedience, in penitence, in praise and thanksgiving must be placed upon the glowing fire of the righteousness of Christ. {AG 154.5}

MM: Have I misunderstood you? Also, the "correcting" and "growth" you mentioned above, is it a gradual process of sinning and repenting less and less often until we finally cease sinning? Or, is it a process of maturing in the fruits of the Spirit?

D: The growth process is the Holy Spirit leading us. When we first come to Christ and accept Him, our lives have MANY wrong habits and unChristlike characteristics ingrained that are contrary to His will. The Bible paints a pretty ugly picture of the putrid condition of humanity (Romans 3) The church usually points out the most obvious ones, which (if the person is genuinely wanting to follow Christ) are put away.

Now the person is "acceptably righteous" to church standards, and many settle down in false complacency.
But the Holy Spirit doesn't stop there and hopefully we don't either. Little by little He points out all the dirty corners in our lives (not all at once, or we would dispair!) When those habits are corrected, He moves on to the next dirty corner. Some corners are cleaned out quickly, some take more time. We may think we've "purified ourselves" at any point in the "growth", but if we saw ourselves as God sees us we realize we are still filled with sinful tendencies and ingrained habits.

The promise is -- as long as we are being led by the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to help us "put to death the deeds of the flesh" that he brings to our attention, we are accounted PERFECT thanks to the righteousness of Christ (not our righteousness.)

Salvation by faith is about laying in the dust the glory of man and giving all the glory to Christ.

MM: - Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying converted Christians are incapable of resurrecting the old man and reverting back to their former habits of sin or even altogether new sins. Indeed, it happens all too often. And, praise the Lord, 1 John 2:1, 2 makes it clear post-conversion sinning is pardonable. On the other hand, though, Heb 10:26, 27 makes it clear a certain type of sinning is unpardonable. However, my point is the promises of perfection do not envision or assume post-conversion sinning and repenting is normal, acceptable, and unavoidable. Do you agree?

D: Do you believe that at conversion all sinful habits just drop away? Does a converted person just stop sinning at the point of conversion (unless he reverts back)?

I think what you are against is falling into the SAME sin again and again and repenting of that same sin again and again. No, that should not be our experience.

However, I do not agree that a converted person no longer needs to do much repenting. The closer we come to Jesus the deeper should be our repentance as we see more clearly the exalted holiness of His character, and discern more accurately the malignant nature of sin.

Yes, we can have victory over sins, but the Holy Spirit will reveal the next sinful habit or unChristlike character trait when the last one is finally conquered. There is no point where we can say "I've arrived" I am perfect in my own righteousness.
We are perfect only in Christ's righteousness.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully

This isn't speaking of unknown sin.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121338
11/07/09 04:53 AM
11/07/09 04:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
According to the sacrificial system, there was no sacrifice for any sin except for sins of ignorance. As I have explained elsewhere, even the "willful" sins are still "sins of ignorance," because we would not commit them if we were not so ignorant.

The difference between us and the fallen angels is essentially the difference between "sins of ignorance" and "sins of knowledge." Both can be either willful sins or inadvertent ones--but the term "ignorance" implies that the sin is done without full knowledge of the truth. "Willful" simply means the thing is done by choice. One can be ignorant, and still choose, for ignorance does not remove the freedom of choice factor.

Every sin we do is a sin of ignorance, as per the sacrificial system. Otherwise, how would one know when to offer the sacrifice if he or she did not realize/know/recognize his/her sin? The sacrifices were commanded on the condition of sin--not merely on a daily basis "just in case." Therefore, the sin must be known--and if we take the view that this could only imply sins which were afterward pointed out by someone, then there would be a great body of sins which were "knowingly/willfully" committed which would have been unatoneable by sacrifice. In this case, one might truly say that there is no forgiveness for willful sin.

However, God sees that we are ignorant. Even our "willful" sins are forgivable on that basis. We cannot be set free until we know the truth. "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 17:17).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!