HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 51 of 105 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121312
11/06/09 03:02 AM
11/06/09 03:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:He said the flame which burns is worse than any physical flame.

A:Basically, you're saying that literal fire is terrible and God would never allow such a thing because it is torturous.

I didn't say literal fire is terrible. I said setting someone on fire is terrible. The problem isn't the fire, but the purposeful use of fire to cause excruciating pain. I really, really cannot understand why this wouldn't just be so obvious that it wouldn't need to be explained. Would *you* set someone on fire as a means of punishing them?

Quote:
However, there is mental anguish that is "worse than any physical flame" that God will allow, yet that is not torturous.

I didn't say this either. What I said is that God did not take an arbitrary (or imposed) action to cause the wicked excruciating pain, either physical or mental.

Quote:
Here's what you're saying, in outline:
X is very bad.
God will not allow X because it is very bad.
Y is worse than X could ever be.
God will allow Y.

That makes no sense.

You're not being consistent with your "X" and "Y" here (i.e. consistent with what I've written). My "X" is "God takes arbitrary (or imposed) action to cause the wicked excruciating pain." (I've been saying God does not do this.) My "Y" is "the wicked suffer as a result of choices they themselves have made." It seems to me that DA 764 explains this very clearly. She makes the point repeatedly that what the wicked suffer is the result of choices they have made. God allows them to experience the result of their choices, but doesn't impose suffering upon them.

Quote:
I wonder if kland agrees with this. I haven't seen him for a while.

I'd be very surprised if kland didn't agree with me regarding this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121317
11/06/09 04:35 AM
11/06/09 04:35 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:He said the flame which burns is worse than any physical flame.

A:Basically, you're saying that literal fire is terrible and God would never allow such a thing because it is torturous.

I didn't say literal fire is terrible. I said setting someone on fire is terrible. The problem isn't the fire, but the purposeful use of fire to cause excruciating pain.

So, setting someone on fire is terrible. But allowing someone to catch on fire, even though you had the power to stop it, is not terrible.

I really, really cannot understand why this wouldn't just be so obvious that it wouldn't need to be explained.

It's not obvious because while you say that setting someone on fire is terrible, you simultaneously say that it is not terrible that God will do something that will UNAVOIDABLY cause excruciating pain to the wicked.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, consider how much pain the wicked will be experiencing while they are dead during the Millennium, and compare it with how much pain they will be experiencing while God is revealing His glory to them. One is painless sleep, the other is excruciating, eternally fatal suffering.

What is hard to understand is how you can condemn one view for being very painful, and promote another view that is much more painful.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121319
11/06/09 12:03 PM
11/06/09 12:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC:The very fact that God raises the wicked dead blows your argument out of this world, because the "humane" thing would be to leave them dead. Why punish the dead with death if they are already in said condition? There is absolutely no usefulness in giving them life back and then punishing them, is there?

A:If God's greatest concern was to minimize the suffering of the wicked, then leaving them dead is the most effective way. Don't you agree?

I've never said this was God's greatest concern. Along the same lines, if this were God's greatest concern, He could simply not have created anyone.

Quote:
A:Therefore, since God will do something that will unavoidably result in excruciating pain for the wicked, there must be something He considers more important. Don't you agree?

I don't agree with your premise here. God does not do something which unavoidably results in excruciating pain for the wicked. The suffering of the wicked is due to their own choice. This is what I've been asserting. It seems to me clear this is what DA 764 is saying.

Also, I've not asserted that a person's not suffering is the most important thing to God. Again, if it were, He wouldn't have created anyone. Creating beings with free will entails risk. They may choose to sin. Where there is sin, suffering and death is inevitable. It's impossible that selfishness would not result in these things. What I've asserted is that God does not arbitrarily cause (i.e. impose) the wicked excruciating pain.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121320
11/06/09 12:21 PM
11/06/09 12:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So, setting someone on fire is terrible. But allowing someone to catch on fire, even though you had the power to stop it, is not terrible.

It's not just setting someone on fire that's being suggested, but setting someone on fire, for the purpose of causing them excruciating pain, and then not letting them die, nor letting the fire go out, nor letting the fire destroy the nerve endings so the pain can no longer be felt, that is being suggested. The worst part of this is "for the purpose of causing them excruciating pain."

I've not said God, in the judgment, allows people to be set on fire at all, but I'll discuss the concept, as on this earth God allows people to be set on fire. He also allows people to be raped, and tortured, and all sorts of terrible things. Do you think this is terrible of God, since He has the power to stop these things? Do you not see any difference between God's allowing rape and child abuse to happen, to name two terrible things, and His doing these things Himself?

Quote:
A:It's not obvious because while you say that setting someone on fire is terrible, you simultaneously say that it is not terrible that God will do something that will UNAVOIDABLY cause excruciating pain to the wicked.

As I said, I disagree with your premise. The pain the wicked experience is not unavoidable. Here's DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

You keep wanting to cast things as if God is responsible for the suffering of the wicked. But He's not. They are responsible for their own suffering. This is what the above says, over and over.

If the wicked would not choose to reject God, they would not suffer. Their suffering is not unavoidable, but the result of their own choice. And God does not raise them in order to cause them suffering, but to allow them to take part in the judgment. Their voice must be heard. They are a part of the entire universe which renders judgment regarding God's character.

Quote:
If you don't understand what I'm talking about,

It's not that I don't understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Quote:
consider how much pain the wicked will be experiencing while they are dead during the Millennium, and compare it with how much pain they will be experiencing while God is revealing His glory to them. One is painless sleep, the other is excruciating, eternally fatal suffering.

One could argue the same thing now. How many people are suffering now? Wouldn't they be in less pain if they were dead? Yet God allows them to live. According to your argument, God is being as bad or worse in doing this than as if He set them on fire and caused them excruciating pain. This isn't a valid argument. God is not responsible for the pain and suffering we experience. He is doing all He can to bring these things to an end. He took upon, and takes upon, Himself immense suffering, and even more importantly, He took upon Himself the risk of failure and eternal loss, in order to bring these things to an end.

Quote:
What is hard to understand is how you can condemn one view for being very painful, and promote another view that is much more painful.

The "being very painful" is not the salient point. As I've pointed out several times, it is God's arbitrarily causing someone to suffer excruciating pain which is the problem.

Would *you* set someone on fire as a form of punishment? What do you think of the idea that you could be sentencing your loved ones to be set on fire? I'm asking this because those who hold this view generally believe that this will be their responsibility during the millennium, to determine for how long the wicked will burn, which would presumably include their loved ones, since it makes sense to suppose one would be involved in the judgment of people one knows.

Even assuming the premise that the wicked must be punished for their deeds, why would God select such a horrendous way of punishing them? Would you do this? Would you set people on fire who need to be punished? Or incarcerate them instead, letting them serve out a sentence. That's what our government does. Is our government more merciful than God?

Not just our government, but every government on earth does this. No government punishes their criminals by setting them on fire, and this is a sin-cursed earth filled with wicked people. Why would these treat others more humanely than God?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121330
11/06/09 07:13 PM
11/06/09 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Chronological Order of Events(GC 666-673)

1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

Quote:
M: Do you think 1, 4, and 6 describe the same thing, and that chronologically 4 and 6 belong with 1?

T: No. I think the last thing that happens is item 7.

M: Do you think the chronology above is accurate? Or, do you think the events listed above will play out in a different chronological order? If so, please list them in the order you think they will play out.

T: Here's what I think will happen, MM. The wicked are resurrected. They are led by Satan to attack the city. As they are about to attack, Jesus Christ is revealed. The wicked appear individually before the judgment seat of Christ at this point in time. (This is represented by the law being written in letters of fire, the scenes of Jesus Christ's life being presented, the wicked being conscious of every sin, seeing where they went wrong, seeing how much God loved each one and what He was doing for them, etc.)

After seeing this, the wicked realize, and recognize, that God has been just in all His ways. As they recognize God's righteousness, the entire universe is now of one accord that God has acted justly throughout time. All recognize that God is not at fault in anything that happened. Satan tries to lead the wicked who are still alive to once again attack. They turn on him. The wicked die. The earth will be cleansed by fire. I see various possibilities for how the wicked die, but see no need to go into them.

M: Tom, you didn’t answer my question – Do you think 4 and 6 are out of chronological order? In other words, do you think chronologically they happen before 3 and 5? Also, why do you think the wicked continue to live after revisiting their sins? And, do you agree that something happens that causes brain, blood, and breath functions to cease resulting in second death?

T: I wrote out what I think will happen.

Well, based on what you’ve written, is it safe to conclude you believe:

“Fire comes down from God out of heaven.” This describes Jesus revealing the character of God while the wicked revisit their sins. Chronologically this happens before 3 and 5.

“The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.” Chronologically this happens after 6.

“Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.” This describes Jesus revealing the character of God while the wicked revisit their sins. Chronologically this happens before 3 and 5.

“Why do you think the wicked continue to live after revisiting their sins?” Because God continues serving as their source of life.

“Do you agree that something happens that causes brain, blood, and breath functions to cease (resulting in second death)?” There isn’t enough testimony to determine the cause of death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121331
11/06/09 09:04 PM
11/06/09 09:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. What is their source of life while separated and cut off?

T: See DA 764.

M: “God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.” In what way do you think the “existence” God gives them differs from the source of life they were separated and cut off from?

T: I keep saying I don't have anything to add to what DA 764 says in regards to this. I'm not trying hide anything from you.

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

Quote:
T: The statement says: “God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.” You're asking what keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?

M: Yes. I believe the source of life is the same before, during, and after they revisit their sins in judgment, namely, the breath of life. True, God must also work tirelessly ensuring their life functions operate correctly. Do you think God does this during and after they revisit their sins in judgment? I’m asking these kinds of questions because I’m trying to figure out why you think sinners are able to revisit their sins, one at a time during judgment, without dying prematurely.

T: Why would this be any different than they're not dying prematurely before their life's history is being revisited? By the way, I've not said that there sins are revisited one by one, but that their life is reviewed. From what you write, it looks like God is fast-forwarding from one sin to the next. I've not said anything like this.

“What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?” Also, do you agree each person will revisit each sin, one at a time, during judgment as if they were the only one on trial? Consider the following passage:

There is a record also of the sins of men. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Says the Saviour: "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." {GC 481.2}

As the books of record are opened in the judgment, the lives of all who have believed on Jesus come in review before God. Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation, and closes with the living. Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names rejected. {GC 483.1}

Though all nations are to pass in judgment before God, yet He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing. {GC 489.3}

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. {GC 482.1}

Thus was presented to the prophet's vision the great and solemn day when the characters and the lives of men should pass in review before the Judge of all the earth, and to every man should be rendered "according to his works." {GC 479.2}

Quote:
M: If I understand your view correctly, you think revisiting sin in the context of judgment is what will cause resurrected sinners to suffer and die.

T: I've not said anything, as far as I recall, about "revisiting sin." I've spoken of their lives being revisited, and mentioned that this involves many things. I post from Kevin H., mentioning specifically Part 2, which goes into detail in regards to what I'm referring to.

Do you think they will revisit their sins, character, and life in full and complete detail as if they were the only one on trial? Or, do you think God will skip over certain sins or lump certain sins together and deal with them as one?

Quote:
M: You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death.

T: I don't think I've written anything like this.

Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

Quote:
M: Naturally, then, I am curious as to who or what you think will prevent the vilest of sinners from dying prematurely after revisiting the first of their greater sins.

T: God prevents sinners from dying prematurely, by the same means He uses now.

By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment? Please avoid the temptation to answer this question by saying, “He prevents them from reaping the real results of sinning.”

Quote:
3. Why hasn't the presence of God destroyed evil angels yet? What is their source of life? Why aren't they dead?

T: Of course God is their source of life. (This needs to be asked?) For the others, see DA 764.

M: “Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. {DA 764.2} Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Do you think this is what is happening?

M: I think their source of life is the same as ours, namely, the breath of life. I also think God works to ensure their life functions operate correctly.

T: I think it would be clearer to simply say that God is their source of life. This is what Ellen White wrote in saying that He is "the fountain of life."

You also believe they are separated and cut off from the only source of life. Also, why do you think the insight above explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

Quote:
M: And, why do you think they can appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

T: Do they do this? (appear in God's presence)

M: According to you they do. In heaven, they willfully sinned in the presence of God without suffering or dying.

T: You don't believe these angels sinned in God's presence? I don't see how that's possible.

You didn’t answer my question. Why do you think they were able to willfully sin in the presence of God without being consumed to death? Ellen wrote, “To sin, wherever found, our God is a consuming fire. . . wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.”

Quote:
M: Also, why do you think the character of God didn’t kill the evil angels while they were, according to you, willfully sinning in heaven in the presence of God?

T: You disagree that the angels willfully sinned in heaven? If they didn't, how did they rebel?

You didn’t answer my question.

Quote:
T: I quoted from DA 753. What I mean is, this is what I said (what DA 753 says). I've also quoted from DA chapter 1, which says that Jesus suffered the death that was ours. I don't think I've said something other than this.

M: You’re not addressing my point. I’m not talking about suffering; instead, I’m asking about death. I know you think the resurrected wicked will suffer in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did. But that’s not what I’m asking about. I’m asking – Do you think the resurrected wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? If not, then is it safe to say we cannot learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Jesus laid down His life?

T: The inevitable result of sin is death. This resulted in Christ's "suffering the death that was ours" and suffering "the anguish the wicked will suffer when mercy no longer pleads for the guilty race. Regarding your question if we can learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Christ died, absolutely. That's what I've been saying. The SOP tells us that *all* truth can only be understood in the light of the cross. It's not a coincidence that the destruction of the wicked is discussed in the chapter "It Is Finished," which discusses what Christ's death accomplished. As explained, one of the things it accomplished is that God will be able to allow the wicked to experience the full result of their choice, which is death, without this being misunderstood as an arbitrary act of power on His part.

If, as you say, the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did, why, then, do you also believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death? Does it mean you also believe the wicked will conquer the second death and then lay down their own life and take it up again?

Quote:
M: “No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe?

T: I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

If not symbols, what are they? Did God refer to earth as His footstool in the context of His dialog with Moses? Do you think Moses literally saw God’s back?

Quote:
M: In other words, you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? Moses was able to survive the first three levels or degrees of God’s character without being consumed to death. If so, why do you think it says Moses survived face-to-face encounters with God?

T: This is hard to follow. Three levels or degrees of God's character? I don't know what this refers to. At any rate, I think what I wrote is clear.

Do you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? If not, do you think it’s literal?

Quote:
M: Also, you wrote, “We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him.” Why do you think knowledge of God prevents the character of God from killing sinners?

T: I said, "We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him."

Thank you for the verification.

Quote:
T: The reason I say this is because without a knowledge of God (i.e., as per John 17, not simply knowledge about God, but knowing God as Jesus speaks of in His prayer) we will misunderstand what is being revealed. Sin causes us to believe things about God which are not true.

If I’m hearing right, you believe we must be one with the Father to comprehend His character correctly, and this is what enables us to “bear” His character without it “consuming” us to death. “The glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.” (John 17:22) Well, what about people who don’t know the truth about God, how can His character kill them? Can a lie about God kill them?

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns, the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means.

M: Oh good, the guessing game. Here we go: “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." Did I find it? If so, what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

T: We've been through this. The light of the glory of God is referring to God's character. This is made clear by the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character. She speaks of how only the pure in heart could abide His presence.

In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Also, do you think the passage above literally means their body shall consume away?

Quote:
M: I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) So, you believe that Jesus somehow dumb downed the revelation of God’s character to avoid killing them? That is, did Jesus somehow filter out the elements of God’s character that kills sinners?

T: This seems to me to be an odd way of looking at things.

Why did you say it? If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

Quote:
M: Will God do something similar during judgment to prevent resurrected sinners from dying prematurely?

T: I've answered this.

So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them.

Quote:
M: You also believe a combination of comprehending God's character and experiencing the full force of their sin and guilt in judgment cause them to voluntarily refuse their place in heaven and to physically cut themselves off from their only source of life. For the sake of discussion, though, what do you think would happen if they chose not to refuse their place in heaven or cut themselves off from their only source of life?

T: I've quoted from the SOP regarding this. Ellen White wrote that "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." She also wrote that God is the fountain of life, and spoke of how the wicked cut themselves off from life. You write as if there were my ideas. You've also changed the words that she used into other words. Regarding your question, I'll quote from GC 542: It seems to me this answers your question.

Tom, you are expressing what you think Ellen meant. What you believe and what she meant may or may not be the same thing. That’s why we’re studying it. Does the following accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life and will result in second death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121332
11/06/09 09:10 PM
11/06/09 09:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
6. But it says mercy no longer pleads for the wicked.

T: Yes, and it also says that the principles of "mercy, kindness, and love" will be used. Interesting, isn't it?

M: How do you explain the apparent contradiction?

T: The wicked have so hardened their hearts that they are unable to receive mercy. As Fifield put it: “The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. (God is Love)

This brings out that the problem is in the mind of the sinner. God doesn't change. God is forgiveness personified. He forgives not 7 times, but 70 times 7 (which means unlimited). But if one refuses pardon, eventually one hardens one's heart to the point of not being able to respond. This is the unpardonable sin.

So God continues to exercise the principles of mercy, kindness and love in the judgment, which is simply God acting in accordance with His character, which He always does, being just like Jesus Christ and not changing, but the wicked are unable to perceive the mercy, kindness and love of God. Sin causes them to believe things about God which are not true (Ty goes into this in what I posted previously).

I couldn’t find the quote "mercy, kindness, and love" (you posted above) in the SOP in the context of judgment. Are you referring to the following passage? If so, why do you think it says mercy, kindness, and love “will be used”? What do you mean by “will be used”?

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121334
11/06/09 10:00 PM
11/06/09 10:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
T: Here's what I think will happen, MM. The wicked are resurrected. They are led by Satan to attack the city. As they are about to attack, Jesus Christ is revealed. The wicked appear individually before the judgment seat of Christ at this point in time. (This is represented by the law being written in letters of fire, the scenes of Jesus Christ's life being presented, the wicked being conscious of every sin, seeing where they went wrong, seeing how much God loved each one and what He was doing for them, etc.)

After seeing this, the wicked realize, and recognize, that God has been just in all His ways. As they recognize God's righteousness, the entire universe is now of one accord that God has acted justly throughout time. All recognize that God is not at fault in anything that happened. Satan tries to lead the wicked who are still alive to once again attack. They turn on him. The wicked die. The earth will be cleansed by fire. I see various possibilities for how the wicked die, but see no need to go into them.

Tom, I agree with Mike's point.

Ellen White says:

"By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them."--DA 764.

So, it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked. But if the revelation of God's glory (which, according to you, is His character) occurs at the judgment, how does your chronology harmonize with this fact? When the wicked die, the judgment has already ended and they have turned on Satan.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #121341
11/07/09 05:34 AM
11/07/09 05:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That the glory of God is His character is affirmed by the SOP often. DA 108, which speaks of the same thing, saying the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked, speaks in the very next sentence of Christ as "the revealer of God's character." It certainly makes more sense that it is the essence of God, His character, that causes the problem for the wicked, more than merely His physical problem one. After all, the issue involved is a spiritual one, not a physical one.

Regarding the chronological question, if His physical presence causes destroy them, then they would die at the judgment seat of Christ, since each one is present at the judgment seat of Christ.

If it is God's glory which destroys the wicked, then it's not a literal fire which does so, is it?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121342
11/07/09 06:41 AM
11/07/09 06:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

I didn't say this. DA 764 said this. I've quoted this quite a few times:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God."

Regarding that God gives the wicked existence, it says this too:

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles.

Plus this is common sense. How could anyone exist unless God gave them existence?

Quote:
“What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?” Also, do you agree each person will revisit each sin, one at a time, during judgment as if they were the only one on trial? Consider the following passage:

If your idea is that every single sin a person has committed will be visited, one at a time, starting from when they were an infant, and covering every moment of their lives, I don't think this is what the passage is saying. This would take many years to accomplish.

She speaks of men's characters and lives passing through review. I think that's the right way of looking at it. This is very similar to what I've been saying, that each person's life will be examined, or reviewed, to the person himself.

Quote:
Do you think they will revisit their sins, character, and life in full and complete detail as if they were the only one on trial? Or, do you think God will skip over certain sins or lump certain sins together and deal with them as one?

I think God will examine the person's life with them, going through the points necessary for the person to see the important points, including where they turned away from the wooing of the Holy Spirit, rejecting the voice of Christ, making choices that set their character, and so forth.

Quote:
M: You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death.

T: I don't think I've written this.

Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

I don't think thinking of this in terms of "sin" is the right way of looking at it. It should be though of in terms of "sin."

The essence of sin is selfishness. There are two laws one can just to life by. The law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love, and the law of selfishness. One leads to life, and the other to death. The judgment will reveal how selfishness has ruined the character of each one who has chosen to live according to its principles.

Quote:
M: Naturally, then, I am curious as to who or what you think will prevent the vilest of sinners from dying prematurely after revisiting the first of their greater sins.

T: God prevents sinners from dying prematurely, by the same means He uses now.

M:By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment? Please avoid the temptation to answer this question by saying, “He prevents them from reaping the real results of sinning.”

You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

Quote:
3. Why hasn't the presence of God destroyed evil angels yet? What is their source of life? Why aren't they dead?

T: Of course God is their source of life. (This needs to be asked?) For the others, see DA 764.

M: “Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. {DA 764.2} Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Do you think this is what is happening?

M: I think their source of life is the same as ours, namely, the breath of life. I also think God works to ensure their life functions operate correctly.

T: I think it would be clearer to simply say that God is their source of life. This is what Ellen White wrote in saying that He is "the fountain of life."

M:You also believe they are separated and cut off from the only source of life.

I believe what DA 764 says, that "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.'"

Quote:
Also, why do you think the insight above explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

Why do you think I think this? Any of this? Either the premise or the conclusion? Where have I said anything about angels living while separated and cut off from God?

Quote:
M: And, why do you think they can appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

T: Do they do this? (appear in God's presence)

M: According to you they do. In heaven, they willfully sinned in the presence of God without suffering or dying.

T: You don't believe these angels sinned in God's presence? I don't see how that's possible.

M:You didn’t answer my question.

This is because your question is assuming certain things. I'm trying to ascertain where you get the assumptions from, and if you yourself agree with them.

Quote:
Why do you think they were able to willfully sin in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

Why do you think I think this? Do you think the angels didn't willfully sin in heaven? What is it of my thinking that you are taking issue with? What is it you think I think that you disagree with?

Quote:
Ellen wrote, “To sin, wherever found, our God is a consuming fire. . . wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.”

And your point is?

Quote:
M: Also, why do you think the character of God didn’t kill the evil angels while they were, according to you, willfully sinning in heaven in the presence of God?

T: You disagree that the angels willfully sinned in heaven? If they didn't, how did they rebel?

M:You didn’t answer my question.

As in the previous question, I'd like to know where you're coming from. What is it you think I think that you are disagreeing with?

Quote:
T: The inevitable result of sin is death. This resulted in Christ's "suffering the death that was ours" and suffering "the anguish the wicked will suffer when mercy no longer pleads for the guilty race. Regarding your question if we can learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Christ died, absolutely. That's what I've been saying. The SOP tells us that *all* truth can only be understood in the light of the cross. It's not a coincidence that the destruction of the wicked is discussed in the chapter "It Is Finished," which discusses what Christ's death accomplished. As explained, one of the things it accomplished is that God will be able to allow the wicked to experience the full result of their choice, which is death, without this being misunderstood as an arbitrary act of power on His part.

If, as you say, the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did,

Is this what I said? I don't see that I said this. I see the above quote saying what I said. Why from what I wrote do you conclude I said what you concluded?

Quote:
why, then, do you also believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death?

This question seems to be based on an assumption I'm not seeing the reason for.

Quote:
Does it mean you also believe the wicked will conquer the second death and then lay down their own life and take it up again?

Why would you ask such a question? You start out with a premise that, as far as I can see, is not based on something I've said, and from that reason to something ridiculous, that the wicked will conquer the second death when they lay down their own life and take it up again.

Before asking a question please consider:

1.Does this question make sense?
2.Have I already asked this question? (especially in the same post)
3.Am I asking something which is based on something which was actually said?

Quote:
M: “No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe?

T: I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

M:If not symbols, what are they?

You wrote, "mere symbols."

Quote:
Did God refer to earth as His footstool in the context of His dialog with Moses?

Is it your contention that when God said that the earth is His footstool that this is a "mere symbol"? This isn't literal, but in Moses' case it was?

Quote:
Do you think Moses literally saw God’s back?

Do you think God is only 6 feet tall or so? Such that His back could be revealed to Moses? What is it you think happened?

Quote:
M: In other words, you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? Moses was able to survive the first three levels or degrees of God’s character without being consumed to death. If so, why do you think it says Moses survived face-to-face encounters with God?

T: This is hard to follow. Three levels or degrees of God's character? I don't know what this refers to. At any rate, I think what I wrote is clear.

M:Do you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? If not, do you think it’s literal?

I think the intent of the passage is to communicate spiritual truth, and that the spiritual truth being communicated has to do with character. I think the back and the face were an integral part of the Hebrew culture, that they understood clearly what Moses was saying.

Quote:
T: The reason I say this is because without a knowledge of God (i.e., as per John 17, not simply knowledge about God, but knowing God as Jesus speaks of in His prayer) we will misunderstand what is being revealed. Sin causes us to believe things about God which are not true.

M:If I’m hearing right, you believe we must be one with the Father to comprehend His character correctly, and this is what enables us to “bear” His character without it “consuming” us to death. “The glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.” (John 17:22) Well, what about people who don’t know the truth about God, how can His character kill them? Can a lie about God kill them?

The judgment reveals God's character, which makes the ugliness of their own sin apparent. Many things are being revealed. These are all intertwined. The sinfulness of the lives of the lost in its true bearing, their guilt, etc. These things I've already enumerated. I've also posted from Kevin H. and Ty Gibson who speak of the themes I mentioned in more detail.

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns, the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means.

M: Oh good, the guessing game. Here we go: “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." Did I find it? If so, what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

T: We've been through this. The light of the glory of God is referring to God's character. This is made clear by the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character. She speaks of how only the pure in heart could abide His presence.

M:In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Also, do you think the passage above literally means their body shall consume away?

MM, I've written out many times what I think this means.

Quote:
M: I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) So, you believe that Jesus somehow dumb downed the revelation of God’s character to avoid killing them? That is, did Jesus somehow filter out the elements of God’s character that kills sinners?

T: This seems to me to be an odd way of looking at things.

Why did you say it? If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

I never said Jesus "somehow dumb downed" something. I think this is a rather odd way of looking at it. I've explained many times that sin ruins ones character, resulting in the problems described in places like DA 764:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

Quote:
M: Will God do something similar during judgment to prevent resurrected sinners from dying prematurely?

T: I've answered this.

M:So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them.

I think this is an odd way to look at this. God is not trying to kill anyone. He wants to save people. He reveals Himself for the purpose of leading them to salvation. If they harden their hearts, this leads to destruction.

Quote:
M: You also believe a combination of comprehending God's character and experiencing the full force of their sin and guilt in judgment cause them to voluntarily refuse their place in heaven and to physically cut themselves off from their only source of life. For the sake of discussion, though, what do you think would happen if they chose not to refuse their place in heaven or cut themselves off from their only source of life?

T: I've quoted from the SOP regarding this. Ellen White wrote that "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." She also wrote that God is the fountain of life, and spoke of how the wicked cut themselves off from life. You write as if there were my ideas. You've also changed the words that she used into other words. Regarding your question, I'll quote from GC 542: It seems to me this answers your question.

M:Tom, you are expressing what you think Ellen meant. What you believe and what she meant may or may not be the same thing.That’s why we’re studying it. Does the following accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life and will result in second death.

You asked the question, "For the sake of discussion, though, what do you think would happen if they chose not to refuse their place in heaven or cut themselves off from their only source of life?" I quoted from GC 542 to give my answer.

Regarding the question you are asking here, I would say that the wicked so ruin their characters by choosing to live according to the law of selfishness, that they are unable to live in a world (i.e., a reality) which consists of unselfishness. This is what I think the passage I quoted from GC 542 is conveying.

Page 51 of 105 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!