HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,641 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121693
11/20/09 05:17 PM
11/20/09 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, are you saying "inbred sin" refers to sinning?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121694
11/20/09 06:48 PM
11/20/09 06:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's a helpful quote:

"There are thoughts and feelings suggested and aroused by Satan that annoy even the best of men; but if they are not cherished, if they are repulsed as hateful, the soul is not contaminated with guilt, and no other is defiled by their influence. (RH 3-27-1888)

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121704
11/21/09 12:46 AM
11/21/09 12:46 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Just time for a quickie....

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
I fully believe we should humbly walk with Christ in obedience, hour by hour, day by day, at all times, growing in grace and character.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying. Seems like you're saying everything they think, say, and do is stained with sin. If so, how can you refer to it as humbly walking with Jesus in obedience?

I believe it is similar to the distinction between perfection IN Christ and perfection LIKE Christ. A similar distinction is found between sinned IN Adam and sinned LIKE Adam.

The Christian's perfection/sinlessness is IN Christ or it is LIKE Christ. I go with IN Christ.

Last edited by asygo; 11/21/09 01:51 AM. Reason: clarity

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121709
11/21/09 01:54 AM
11/21/09 01:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here's a helpful quote:

"There are thoughts and feelings suggested and aroused by Satan that annoy even the best of men; but if they are not cherished, if they are repulsed as hateful, the soul is not contaminated with guilt, and no other is defiled by their influence. (RH 3-27-1888)

In such a scenario of failed temptation, does the tempter, Satan in this case, remain guiltless if his temptation was repulsed?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121714
11/21/09 08:00 AM
11/21/09 08:00 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, do you believe people are guilty of sinning because they have sinful flesh natures that tempt them from within to be unlike Jesus?

I'll stay away from "sinful flesh natures" since I'm still not sure we have a common definition of it, even after all these years. But I will say that I believe people are guilty of sinning if they are selfish, whether or not that selfishness surfaces.

And, do you believe the 144,000 will receive sinless flesh natures when they are numbered and sealed,

Again, I'll avoid "sinless flesh natures."

I believe that when the 144k are sealed, their physical natures will still be fallen. However, their spiritual natures have been restored to holiness, though not necessarily exactly like Christ's. Does that answer your question?

and that this accounts for why they can stand before God without a mediator?

The fallen physical nature has never been the cause of our need of a mediator. It is our sin - our selfishness - that separates us from God, requiring a Mediator to bridge the gap. When that sin is purged, then there's no more need of a Mediator. That's one view, anyway.

Another view is that Christ has always been the Mediator between God and creatures. To us, He's Jesus of Nazareth - one of us, but different. To the angels, He was Michael the Archangel - one of them, but different. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Tom] #121715
11/21/09 08:10 AM
11/21/09 08:10 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I was making the point that the 144,000 will stand before God without a Mediator before Christ comes, while still in sinful flesh. Therefore it cannot be sinful flesh which is being referred to in the 1SM quote (that speaks of the prayers of the saints needing to be cleansed because of the corruption of those praying), since Christ has finished His work of intercession.

OK. So the corruption in 1SM - "corrupt channels of humanity" - is not referring to sinful flesh. I can go for that.

Do you have any idea about what it is referring to? What kind of corruption does the true believer have now that the 144k will not have while standing before God without a Mediator?

The answer to that, BTW, will go far toward answering MM's question re: the converted Christian committing sins of ignorance.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121728
11/21/09 05:33 PM
11/21/09 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Asygo
The Christian's perfection/sinlessness is IN Christ or it is LIKE Christ. I go with IN Christ.

Doesn’t it have to do with imputed versus imparted righteousness? Ellen wrote, “[The Lord] expects from us the perfection which Christ revealed in His humanity. {CG 477.1} You seem to be saying “the perfection which Christ revealed in His humanity” is stained with sin when revealed through believers. If so, why?

In such a scenario of failed temptation, does the tempter, Satan in this case, remain guiltless if his temptation was repulsed?

No. Why do you ask? Are you assuming Satan's guilt implies we are guilty because we possess a nature that temnpts us from within?

But I will say that I believe people are guilty of sinning if they are selfish, whether or not that selfishness surfaces.

Are they selfish? Also, what is an example of subsurface selfishness?

I believe that when the 144k are sealed, their physical natures will still be fallen. However, their spiritual natures have been restored to holiness, though not necessarily exactly like Christ's.

Does God count them guilty of sin because they possess fallen physical natures? Also, are restored holy spiritual natures available now? And, in what sense are they different than Jesus’?

The fallen physical nature has never been the cause of our need of a mediator.

Does this mean God does not count us guilty of sin because we possess fallen physical natures?

It is our sin - our selfishness - that separates us from God, requiring a Mediator to bridge the gap. When that sin is purged, then there's no more need of a Mediator. That's one view, anyway.

Mediation does not bridge unconfessed sins. Atonement accommodates sins confessed and pardoned. What is the origin and source of “our selfishness”? Are we required to regularly repent of it? Is it volitional sin? And, how and when is it purged?

PS – Do you go along with the people who argue sin is a state of being and a state of thinking, speaking, and doing, and that we can be free of the latter but not free of the former?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121734
11/21/09 11:15 PM
11/21/09 11:15 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject.("Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b, page 3)

Here's another quote to consider:
Quote:
Paul's being strictly conscientious in his work of persecuting the saints does not make him guiltless when the knowledge of his cruel work is impressed upon him by the Spirit of God. {3T 431.2}

Though Paul had not been rejecting light - he was "strictly conscientious in his work of persecuting the saints" - he was still guilty.

Ignorance, conscientiousness, sincerity are not sufficient to completely shield the sinner from the effects of sin and restore him to God's standard. Only Christ's blood and righteousness can do that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121735
11/21/09 11:53 PM
11/21/09 11:53 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

Doesn’t it have to do with imputed versus imparted righteousness?

I believe it does. I also believe that our perfection is imputed - ours only as given to us by Jesus. The righteousness that is imparted to us can never equal the Pattern.

Ellen wrote, “[The Lord] expects from us the perfection which Christ revealed in His humanity. {CG 477.1} You seem to be saying “the perfection which Christ revealed in His humanity” is stained with sin when revealed through believers. If so, why?

Christ's perfection is stained when revealed through believers. That sounds about right. Here's why I believe that:
Quote:
The religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin ascend from true believers as incense to the heavenly sanctuary, but passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by blood, they can never be of value with God. {1SM 344.2}

Christ's righteousness is defiled when it passes through the corrupt channels of humanity. As the rest of the oft-quoted paragraph says, it needs Christ's cleansing blood in order to be acceptable to God. We're back to imputed righteousness again.

That, I believe, is a fundamental point of the Gospel. The sinner is incapable of offering to God what He requires. And no matter how much better he gets, he still falls short of God's glory. The only way to meet God's requirements is to offer to God the solution that He Himself gave - Himself. As Abraham said, God will provide Himself a sacrifice. The best the sinner can do in that transaction is to accept what God is offering him.

True, more than this, He changes the heart. That's another fundamental point of the Gospel. But do not confuse a changed heart with the infinite sacrifice that the broken law demands. An unfallen angel could not suffice, much less a sinful man. Only God could atone.

When I come home from work, my son sometimes offers me something he had made during the day, perhaps a toy car made from his tinkertoys, using the concepts and skills I had taught him to construct a durable structure. While he offers it as his best work, and I accept it gladly, he is not foolish enough to think that it will actually meet my needs as a vehicle. His offering is accepted, not because it meets the absolute standard, but because of the completeness of his devotion. When I need a real vehicle, I will require much more engineering than my 8-year-old can muster.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121736
11/22/09 12:22 AM
11/22/09 12:22 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I agree with much of the above post.
But some of the previous posts-- according to the reasoning, Adam's children, if they chose to follow God -- let's say Enoch as example,-- didn't need a Savior?

Too much of the "no mediator" after propation-- the premise that I see underlying this is -- if we just get our past sins confessed and forgiven and start living perfectly we are capable (with Christ's help) to develop perfect righteousness (perfect merits) that can stand in the presence of a holy God without a mediator applying His merits.

Yet this is denied when I point it out, but then the discussion goes right back to not needing Christ's merits any longer "to bridge the gap" so then it must mean standing in our own merits.

In other words -- the message some of these posts are sending is "living without a Mediator" means presenting our own merits as "good enought" because Christ's merits are no longer available.

But -- there is another view.
Christ seals us WITH HIS MERITS.

Once probation closes there is no more turning from sin to God. We must make that choice previously. We must confess all sins and give them up surrendering self to Christ completely in order to be covered by His righteousness, but it is only by Christ's righteousness and perfection, not our own that we merit anything. It is still Christ's righteousness that covers our imperfections and gives us Godly perfection.

Last edited by dedication; 11/22/09 12:27 AM.
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!