HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121800
11/24/09 04:53 PM
11/24/09 04:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Dedication
"And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." Philippians 3:9.

Paul is here comparing his righteousness before and after his conversion. He is not saying the righteousness he experienced before his conversion is no different than the righteousness he experienced afterward.

Quote:
D: The method by which Christ lived that righteous life was by perfect faith and trust in His Father. And if we live by faith in Christ, walking daily with Him, we live righteously. We, by faith, receive righteousness by receiving Him.

Why, then, do you go on to say the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined is corrupt and stained with sin?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121808
11/24/09 06:39 PM
11/24/09 06:39 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
He is not saying the righteousness he experienced before his conversion is no different than the righteousness he experienced afterward.

If he is looking to his own "perfection' it would be his own righteousness. But he isn't looking to his own 'perfection' - he acknowledges that he hasn't reached perfection yet.

Phil. 3:12 "Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus."

Quote:
Quote:
D: The method by which Christ lived that righteous life was by perfect faith and trust in His Father. And if we live by faith in Christ, walking daily with Him, we live righteously. We, by faith, receive righteousness by receiving Him.

Why, then, do you go on to say the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined is corrupt and stained with sin?

Because it is still coming through the corrupt channels --

Quote:
"The righteousness of Christ is presented as a free gift to the sinner if he will accept it. He has nothing of his own but what is tainted and corrupted, polluted with sin, utterly repulsive to a pure and holy God. Only through the righteous character of Jesus Christ can man come nigh to God." 1SM 342....

This matter is so dimly comprehended that thousands upon thousands claiming to be sons of God are children of the wicked one, because they will depend on their own works. God always demanded good works, the law demands it, but because man placed himself in sin where his good works were valueless, Jesus' righteousness alone can avail. Christ is able to save to the uttermost because He ever liveth to make intercession for us. All that man can possibly do toward his own salvation is to accept the invitation, "Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely" (Rev. 22:17).{1SM 343.3}

Oh, that all may see that everything in obedience, in penitence, in praise and thanksgiving, must be placed upon the glowing fire of the righteousness of Christ. The fragrance of this righteousness ascends like a cloud around the mercy seat. {1SM 344.3}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121809
11/24/09 07:08 PM
11/24/09 07:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
M: Rosangela, "imperfect" does not mean "a form of sinning". Do you agree?

R: Mike, do you think anything Adam did before he sinned was imperfect? Was his obedience imperfect? Were his prayers imperfect? Was his praise imperfect?

M: Not imperfect in the sense it was "a form of sinning". It was imperfect in the sense it was immature.

I disagree. Nothing Adam did was imperfect.
The condition of eternal life is perfect obedience to the law - perfect righteousness. If what Adam did was imperfect, he could never have obtained eternal life.
Was Jesus' righteousness also imperfect at some point in His life?

Quote:
Where in the Bible is this idea taught, that is, that everything we think, say, and do, while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature, is corrupted and sin stained, a "form of sinning"? If it isn't in the Bible is it possible you are misinterpreting what Ellen wrote?

I've already quoted 1 John 1:8 in the other thread. About it, Ellen White says,

There is no one, however earnestly he may be striving to do his best, who can say, "I have no sin." He who would say this would be under a dangerous deception. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8). {UL 53.4}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121810
11/24/09 07:41 PM
11/24/09 07:41 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The only thing that could possibly make our "immature" righteousness, holy and perfect is if we accept the Righteousness of Christ in our place. We can never look to our own righteousness for salvation, no matter how good the motives .

It is His righteousness that makes our imperfect work complete and acceptable.
It is NOT perfect and acceptable otherwise.

Quote:
Through the mysterious plan of redemption, grace has been provided, so that the imperfect work of the human agent may be accepted in the name of Jesus our Advocate. Man has little power, and can accomplish but a small work at his very best. . . . {RH, June 16, 1896 par. 4}

The Lord expects his servants to excel others in life and character....He is to make use of every entrusted power, that he may overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil through the power of the Holy Spirit, by grace abundantly provided that he shall not fail nor be discouraged, but be complete in Christ, accepted in the Beloved...
He who has the mind of Christ knows that his only safe course is to keep close to Jesus, following the light of life....that they may be complete in him who has given his own life for this end.{RH, June 16, 1896 par. 7}

Clothed with the righteousness of Christ and not your own righteousness, you will not depend upon what you can do or what you will do. Don't you know you cannot do anything without Christ? "Without Me," He says, "ye can do nothing" (John 15:5). {FW 65.3}

Said our Saviour: "No man cometh to the Father, but by Me.".. Except ye abide in Me, says Jesus, ye can do nothing --nothing in God's sight, nothing that Christ will accept at your hands. Without Christ you can have nothing but a delusive hope, for He Himself declares: "If a man abide not in Me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." {5T 49.1}

Without Christ's righteousness our best, even if we think we are doing it in Christ's name, is -- nothing.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121830
11/25/09 07:47 PM
11/25/09 07:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: Rosangela, "imperfect" does not mean "a form of sinning". Do you agree?

R: Mike, do you think anything Adam did before he sinned was imperfect? Was his obedience imperfect? Were his prayers imperfect? Was his praise imperfect?

M: Not imperfect in the sense it was "a form of sinning". It was imperfect in the sense it was immature.

R: I disagree. Nothing Adam did was imperfect. The condition of eternal life is perfect obedience to the law - perfect righteousness. If what Adam did was imperfect, he could never have obtained eternal life. Was Jesus' righteousness also imperfect at some point in His life?

Are you using the word "imperfect" in the same sense I am, namely, "immature"? And, do you agree with me that the difference between seed and fruit is depth and degree of righteousness and not depth and degree of sin?

Quote:
M: Where in the Bible is this idea taught, that is, that everything we think, say, and do, while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature, is corrupted and sin stained, a "form of sinning"? If it isn't in the Bible is it possible you are misinterpreting what Ellen wrote?

R: I've already quoted 1 John 1:8 in the other thread. About it, Ellen White says, "There is no one, however earnestly he may be striving to do his best, who can say, "I have no sin." He who would say this would be under a dangerous deception. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8). {UL 53.4}

"I have no sin" is referring to past sins. "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (v. 10) John is not talking about an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121831
11/25/09 07:54 PM
11/25/09 07:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Dedication
We can never look to our own righteousness for salvation, no matter how good the motives.

Do you think this is what I'm laboring so earnestly to prove?

Quote:
It is His righteousness that makes our imperfect work complete and acceptable. It is NOT perfect and acceptable otherwise.

You seem to be saying that the "mature" and "immature" fruits of the Spirit are, no matter what, sinful and unacceptable to God, and that the righteousness of Jesus somehow makes sin acceptable to God. Have I misunderstood your point?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121835
11/25/09 11:09 PM
11/25/09 11:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: I disagree. Nothing Adam did was imperfect. The condition of eternal life is perfect obedience to the law - perfect righteousness. If what Adam did was imperfect, he could never have obtained eternal life. Was Jesus' righteousness also imperfect at some point in His life?

M: Are you using the word "imperfect" in the same sense I am, namely, "immature"? And, do you agree with me that the difference between seed and fruit is depth and degree of righteousness and not depth and degree of sin?

Mike, I'm using the word "imperfect" in the sense of "not perfect." smile Adam was perfect, although he could grow. This is different from us. We are not yet perfect, but are striving to reach perfection. Or are we, in your opinion, perfect in the same sense Adam was?

Through the knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus, Christians are to grow in grace, constantly drawing nearer perfection of character.{UL 177.5}

Quote:
"I have no sin" is referring to past sins.

Sure, past sins - those of five minutes ago. smile

"If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." ... "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." In this world we are exposed to the temptations of the enemy, and because we do not depend on God as we should, we are continually sinning. There are those who, when they make mistakes, stand out in stubbornness, saying that they have not sinned, and refusing to confess. Those who say, "I never confess," will never see the kingdom of heaven unless they do confess. Read the prayer of confession that Daniel offered. He was called a man greatly beloved by God, and yet he confessed that he as well as the people had sinned. {RH, July 13, 1905 par. 7-10}

Let those who feel inclined to make a high profession of holiness, look into the mirror of God's law, which discovers to us the defects of our character. Those who see the far-reaching claims of the law of God, those who realize that it is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart, will not presume to make the boast of sinlessness, and venture to declare, "I am perfect, I am holy." "If we," John says, not separating himself from his brethren, "say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." {ST, May 23, 1895 par. 10}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121842
11/26/09 04:18 PM
11/26/09 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Adam was perfect, although he could grow. This is different from us. We are not yet perfect, but are striving to reach perfection. Or are we, in your opinion, perfect in the same sense Adam was? "Through the knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus, Christians are to grow in grace, constantly drawing nearer perfection of character.{UL 177.5}

Yes, born-again, converted believers are perfect in the same sense A&E were perfect (not physically, of course). Christians who are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature and are living in harmony with "all things whatsoever [Jesus] commanded" are perfect. In Christ, as they grow daily in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit, they are "perfecting holiness", advancing "from one stage of perfection to another."

"As the sinner, drawn by the power of Christ, approaches the uplifted cross, and prostrates himself before it, there is a new creation. A new heart is given him. He becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus. Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require. (COL 162) Nevertheless, eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our ability to become more and more perfect, more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit, more and more like Jesus. This is the meaning of “constantly drawing nearer perfection of character.”

This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186) “Even the most perfect Christian may increase continually in the knowledge and love of God. (ML 249) “And in heaven we are continually to improve. (COL 332) “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.” Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. (ML 250)

Quote:
M: "I have no sin" is referring to past sins. "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (v. 10) John is not talking about an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined.

R: Sure, past sins - those of five minutes ago.

I’m glad we agree it refers to past sins and not to an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined. Having “sin” in the sense John talked about refers to our past sins.

Converted Christians (i.e. believers who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded) are perfectly sinless while they are between sins (i.e. not currently committing a sin), while they are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature, while they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while they are growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, while they are perfecting holiness in the fear of God. “Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require.”

"Those whom heaven recognizes as holy ones are the last to parade their own goodness. (FLB 111)

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121846
11/26/09 05:42 PM
11/26/09 05:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require.

This obviously includes the fact that Christ's character stands in place of the sinner's character.

Quote:
I’m glad we agree it refers to past sins and not to an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined.

Mike, my character isn't yet perfect; I'm still seeking for perfection of character.

True sanctification is carried into all the business of life. Pure thoughts, noble aspirations, clear perceptions of truth, elevated purposes of action, yearnings to attain to perfection, will be the experience of every real Christian. These have fellowship with the Father and with the Son. They are constantly increasing in the knowledge of God. They grow in reverence and trust and love; but while they are coming nearer and nearer to perfection of character, they will feel more and more deeply their unlikeness to Christ, and have greater distrust of themselves and greater dependence upon God. As these are growing up to the full stature of men and women in Christ Jesus, they will be sought by others, and will be a help and blessing to all with whom they associate. {RH, September 8, 1885 par. 16}

Quote:
Converted Christians (i.e. believers who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded) are perfectly sinless while they are between sins

So they are part of the time perfectly sinless, and part of the time completely sinful?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121848
11/26/09 08:13 PM
11/26/09 08:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Another text pertinent to this discussion:

Before the believer is held out the wonderful possibility of being like Christ, obedient to all the principles of the law. But of himself man is utterly unable to reach this condition. The holiness that God's word declares he must have before he can be saved is the result of the working of divine grace as he bows in submission to the discipline and restraining influences of the Spirit of truth. Man's obedience can be made perfect only by the incense of Christ's righteousness, which fills with divine fragrance every act of obedience. The part of the Christian is to persevere in overcoming every fault. Constantly he is to pray to the Saviour to heal the disorders of his sin-sick soul. He has not the wisdom or the strength to overcome; these belong to the Lord, and He bestows them on those who in humiliation and contrition seek Him for help. {AA 532.1}

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!