HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121853
11/27/09 05:01 PM
11/27/09 05:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
"The work of redemption involves consequences of which it is difficult for man to have any conception. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him." 1 Cor. 2:9. As the sinner, drawn by the power of Christ, approaches the uplifted cross, and prostrates himself before it, there is a new creation. A new heart is given him. He becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus. Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require. God Himself is "the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Rom. 3:26. And "whom He justified, them He also glorified." Rom. 8:30. Great as is the shame and degradation through sin, even greater will be the honor and exaltation through redeeming love. To human beings striving for conformity to the divine image there is imparted an outlay of heaven's treasure, an excellency of power, that will place them higher than even the angels who have never fallen. {COL 162.4}

R: This obviously includes the fact that Christ's character stands in place of the sinner's character.

Do you mean to say “holiness finds that it has nothing more to require” means “glorified . . . new creatures in Christ” are incapable of experiencing character perfection? If not, do you think once it is attained it is corrupt and sin-stained?

Quote:
M: "I have no sin" is referring to past sins. "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (v. 10) John is not talking about an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined.

R: Sure, past sins - those of five minutes ago.

M: I’m glad we agree it refers to past sins and not to an innate, inherent state of unpardonable sin that corrupts and stains the righteous results of humanity and divinity combined.

R: Mike, my character isn't yet perfect; I'm still seeking for perfection of character.

“Pure thoughts, noble aspirations, clear perceptions of truth, elevated purposes of action, yearnings to attain to perfection, will be the experience of every real Christian. {RH, September 8, 1885 par. 16}

This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186) “Even the most perfect Christian may increase continually in the knowledge and love of God. (ML 249) “And in heaven we are continually to improve. (COL 332) “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. (ML 250)

In heaven, believers will continue the work begun here on earth, namely, “advancing from one stage of perfection to another”. They will continue perfecting holiness in heaven. They will never reach a point where they can no longer become more perfect. Such work cannot involve becoming less and less sinful. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: Converted Christians (i.e. believers who are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded) are perfectly sinless while they are between sins (i.e. not currently committing a sin), while they are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature, while they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while they are growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, while they are perfecting holiness in the fear of God. Holiness finds that it has nothing more to require. "Those whom heaven recognizes as holy ones are the last to parade their own goodness. (FLB 111)

R: So they are part of the time perfectly sinless, and part of the time completely sinful?

In Christ, converted Christians are perfectly sinless. In Satan, they are perfectly sinful. There is nothing between. We are either all of His and free of sin or none of His and full of sin. If we are not actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus we are, by default, abiding in Satan. There is no neutral ground. Ellen describes it:

Quote:
No one can maintain a neutral ground. Those who endeavor to do this will fulfill Christ's words, "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon" (chap. 6:24). {TDG 240.2}

No one occupies a neutral position, doing nothing to encourage others and doing nothing to hinder them. Says Christ: They that gather not with Me scatter abroad. Take heed, old and young; you are either doing the work of Christ, to save souls, or the work of Satan, to lead them to perdition. {1T 484.2}

None of us can occupy a neutral position; our influence will tell for or against. We are active agents for Christ or for the enemy. We either gather with Jesus or scatter abroad. {4T 16.4} No one can occupy a neutral position; there is no middle class, who neither love God nor serve the enemy of righteousness. {MB 94.1}

Also, the idea that everything we think, say, and do is corrupt and sin-stained and unacceptable to God is not supported in the following passages:

Quote:
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:1, 2) “For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.” (Romans 14:18)

“If any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to show piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.” (1 Timothy 5:4) “When ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.” (1 Peter 2:20) “We may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour.” (1 Timothy 2:2, 3)

“[We] may be all that He desires us to be--representatives of Him, expressing the fragrance of His character, His own pure thoughts, His divine attributes . . . to be like Christ--pure, undefiled, wholly acceptable to God, without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing. {6BC 1118.4}

“Holiness, which means wholeness to God, is wholly acceptable to God. {UL 273.3} It is the noble principles which are brought into the work that make it wholly acceptable in the Lord's sight. {MYP 72.3} God will make his labors wholly acceptable if he will imitate the Pattern. {4T 609.1}

“Do your best, and God will accept your efforts. Take up the duty lying nearest you, and perform it with fidelity, and your work will be wholly acceptable to the Master. {MYP 96.1} His energies are worn, his mind broken, and at best his services must be weak; yet if given heartily and fully, they are wholly acceptable. {RY 81.3}

Do you agree none of the passages above imply our best works are unacceptable to God?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121860
11/27/09 08:40 PM
11/27/09 08:40 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

We and what we do are perfect only in Christ, through His merits. When Ellen White says we can advance from a stage to perfection to another, she is referring to this perfection in Christ, not to an actual perfection, for she says several times that everything we do now is imperfect. In eternity we will really be perfect, but now we aren’t. Again,

When it is in the heart to obey God, when efforts are put forth to this end, Jesus accepts this disposition and effort as man's best service, and He makes up for the deficiency with His own divine merit. {ML 250.6}

This passage is very clear.

How are our good works acceptable to God?

It is the fragrance of the merit of Christ that makes our good works acceptable to God, and it is grace that enables us to do the works for which He rewards us. {AG 331.3}

The smallest talent and the humblest service may be offered to Jesus as a consecrated gift, and with the fragrance of his own merits he will present it to the Father. If the best we have is presented with a sincere heart, in love to God, from a longing desire to do service to Jesus, the gift is wholly acceptable. {RH, June 20, 1893 par. 10}

Our good works cannot atone for one sin. But Jesus knew this, and he came from Heaven to the earth to bring to us this divine help, that through his excellence of character, and through our faith in him, our human efforts would be acceptable with God, and we should finally be rewarded as our works have been. {HR, March 1, 1874 par. 8}

If our good works were perfect and acceptable to God, our salvation would be by faith + works – faith in Christ’s death for past sins + our meritorious works. Adam’s works were meritorious and would have obtained eternal life to him. Christ’s works were meritorious and obtained eternal life to Him.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121870
11/28/09 04:36 PM
11/28/09 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, yes, our salvation is based on Jesus' merits. Yes, our good works are made fragrant and acceptable to God through His merits. However, this does not mean real "righteousness and true holiness" must be made acceptable to God through the merits of Jesus because it is otherwise corrupt and sin-stained. Nowhere in the Bible does God say such a thing. Ellen does not contradict the Bible. Therefore, you are misinterpreting what she wrote about it. Perfection is the result of salvation - not the basis of it. Perfection is progressive. Eternity isn't long enough to reach the point where we can no longer progress in perfection.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121871
11/28/09 04:45 PM
11/28/09 04:45 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
OK, what about explaining to me what Ellen White means? smile

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Rosangela] #121873
11/28/09 05:39 PM
11/28/09 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
She means exactly what she said, namely, Jesus makes the righteous results of "humanity and divinity combined" fragrant and acceptable to God by uniting them with His righteousness. She is not saying Jesus must do this because otherwise "righteousness and true holiness" is corrupt, sin-stained, and unacceptable to God. It stands to reason. Not even Jesus can sugar-coat sin and make it acceptable to God.

Jesus said, "I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: for the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God." (John 16:26, 27)

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121894
11/29/09 02:32 AM
11/29/09 02:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It sounds to me like you too are talking past each other. I think to Mike "corrupt and sin-stained" would imply voluntarily sinning. So Mike hears Rosangela saying that Christ is making up for voluntary sin. However, Rosangela doesn't have this in mind. "Deficiency" means being imperfect (which hasn't been defined, as far as I can tell, other than meaning "not perfect") not voluntary sinning.

So why not define what "deficiency" means (which I think Rosangela is asking Mike to do) and what "perfect" means (my idea).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Tom] #121895
11/29/09 04:14 AM
11/29/09 04:14 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Moral perfection is not reaching a point where we equal God and merit heaven. Moral perfection always asks, "Lord, what is your will for me? Where am I still lacking?"

Moral perfection is always seeking to know the will of God more fully. It is not reaching a point where we know God's will perfectly.

Moral perfection never "dumbs down the law" or does away with any part of the law so our conscience can be at ease. It is not in rebellion to God's law and does not engage in voluntary sinning.

Moral perfection always confesses....... "In
ourselves we are sinners; but in Christ we are righteous." I SM 394

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121896
11/29/09 04:32 AM
11/29/09 04:32 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
She means exactly what she said, namely, Jesus makes the righteous results of "humanity and divinity combined" fragrant and acceptable to God by uniting them with His righteousness. She is not saying Jesus must do this because otherwise "righteousness and true holiness" is corrupt, sin-stained, and unacceptable to God. It stands to reason. Not even Jesus can sugar-coat sin and make it acceptable to God.

It is only by uniting our obedience to Christ's righteousness that it becomes acceptable to God.
This means without the righteousness of Christ it is UNACCEPTABLE to God.

Quote:
In obedience to the Father's law, and through faith in the atoning blood of His Son, paradise may be regained. "Repentance toward God," because His law has been transgressed, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ, as man's only Redeemer, will be acceptable with God. Notwithstanding man's sinfulness, the merits of God's dear Son in his behalf will avail with the Father. {Con 15.3}

When we contemplate His purity and excellence, we shall see our own weakness and poverty and defects as they really are. We shall see ourselves lost and hopeless, clad in garments of self-righteousness, like every other sinner. We shall see that if we are ever saved, it will not be through our own goodness, but through God's infinite grace. {COL 159.1}

None of the apostles or prophets ever claimed to be without sin. Men who have lived nearest to God, men who would sacrifice life itself rather than knowingly commit a wrong act, men whom God had honored with divine light and power, have confessed the sinfulness of their own nature. They have put no confidence in the flesh, have claimed no righteousness of their own, but have trusted wholly in the righteousness of Christ. So will it be with all who behold Christ. {COL 160.2}

At every advance step in Christian experience our repentance will deepen. It is to those whom the Lord has forgiven, to those whom He acknowledges as His people, that He says, "Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe
yourselves in your own sight." Eze. 36:31. Again He says, "I will establish My covenant with thee, and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; that thou mayest remember, and be confounded, and never open thy mouth any more because of thy shame, when I am pacified toward thee for all that thou hast done, saith the Lord God." Eze. 16:62, 63.
Then our lips will not be opened in self-glorification. We shall know that our sufficiency is in Christ alone. We shall make the apostle's confession our own. "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing." Rom. 7:18. "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Gal. 6:14. {COL 160.3}

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Tom] #121903
11/29/09 03:41 PM
11/29/09 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It sounds to me like you too are talking past each other. I think to Mike "corrupt and sin-stained" would imply voluntarily sinning. So Mike hears Rosangela saying that Christ is making up for voluntary sin. However, Rosangela doesn't have this in mind. "Deficiency" means being imperfect (which hasn't been defined, as far as I can tell, other than meaning "not perfect") not voluntary sinning.

So why not define what "deficiency" means (which I think Rosangela is asking Mike to do) and what "perfect" means (my idea).

Tom, thank you for trying to help clarify things. However, I'm not saying Rosangela is describing voluntary sinning when she says the righteous results of "humanity and divinity combined" is corrupt and sin-stained. I understand she thinks "all our righteousnesses" are corrupt and sin-stained because they pass through "corrupt human channels". I think this idea mixes two unrelated truths and results in a false conclusion.

It is true that "all our righteousnesses", apart from "humanity and divinity combined", is corrupt and sin-stained. “All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy.” (SC 59) However, as believers "abide in Jesus" and "partake of the divine nature" the righteous results of "humanity and divinity combined" are "righteousness and true holiness".

There is nothing corrupt or sinful about the "fruits of the Spirit". Just because Jesus presents it to God united with His righteousness does not mean He must do so because it is corrupt and sin-stained and otherwise unacceptable to God. Not even Jesus can make something inherently corrupt and sinful acceptable to God. He first purifies the spring so that whatever flows out from it is pure and uncontaminated.

Deficient means immature (not corrupt and sin-stained). Perfect means the absence of corruption and sin. Perfection is progressive. Believers grow in perfection from perfection to perfection, from "one stage of perfection to another".

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121904
11/29/09 03:57 PM
11/29/09 03:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Dedication
Moral perfection is not reaching a point where we equal God and merit heaven.

Amen! Do you know of anyone who believes otherwise? It's hard to believe there are Christians who think they can equal God and thereby merit heaven. It is equally difficult to believe there are Christians who think the righteous results of "humanity and divinity combined" are corrupt and sin-stained. As it is written, "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure . . . Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not . . . Let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." (1 John 3:3-7)

"God will accept only those who are determined to aim high. He places every human agent under obligation to do his best. Moral perfection is required of all. Never should we lower the standard of righteousness in order to accommodate inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong-doing. We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!