HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,599
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: JAK] #122473
12/29/09 12:35 AM
12/29/09 12:35 AM
JCS  Offline
Active Member 2012
Colorado, USA
Athiests generally rely on things that are tangible and physical to deny the existence of a supreme being. In my rebelious years I tried to veiw the world in the same way, but discovered that the opposite is true. The concept of the Big Bang attempts to expain away the existence of our visible universe by physics alone. The bottom line, in athiestic thinking, is that even time and space came from absolutely nothing because nothing was ever created to begin with. I followed this line of thought and discovered a very strange place. A dimensionless void lacking the limitations of time. If such a "reality" existed the only principle physics that would exist would be the existence of it's self. Since time doesn't exist, and there is no volume of separating space, this physical property would have an infinite effect on it's self instantly and it would never end. The only thing I can think of comparing it with would be the effect on light from two opposing mirrors. This situation doesn't discribe the Big Bang, in my mind it describes an infinite deity that exists outside time and space.

None of that proves anything but, how can athiests explain the laws of physics remaining consistant and unchanging in perfect harmony throughout the universe without the presence of an unknown infinite force that operates outside the confines of space and time? Use this point and you'll make generate one or two agnostics at least. In my experience its easy to convert atheists to believe that a god might exist. Converting a protestant christian (who even believes in the Sabbath) to SDA is a very different story.

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: JAK] #122476
12/29/09 01:03 AM
12/29/09 01:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JAK, thank you for the honest response. By "perfect peace" I mean the fruit of perfect obedience, the fruit of abiding in Jesus. Jesus is the ultimate example of what I have in mind. He was in perfect harmony with the will of God. We experience perfect peace while we are in perfect harmony with the will of God. Jesus has seen the Father and His testimony serves as empirical proof. People are free to reject His testimony; however, it is unlikely they will see the Father in this lifetime. Seeing the Father is proof He exists.

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: Mountain Man] #122481
12/29/09 08:33 PM
12/29/09 08:33 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
But how does this "perfect peace" express itself in our life and our experience. Do we constantly experience a Buddhist-like tranquility, or a blonde oblivion to reality, or a euphoric "high" state of mind, or just what.

I agree that Jesus is our ultimate example of "perfect peace", yet he himself often showed anguish of heart, and distress, especially just before his crucifiction*, yet this was the time when he was most in harmony with God's will.

So we use these phrases like "perfect peace", and "the fruit of abiding" but we really have no concrete idea of what we are talking about. How much less do others understand our idioms if we ourselves don't know what they mean?

* We could also mention when he drove the money changers from the temple or when he healed the withered hand on the Sabbath.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: JAK] #122489
12/30/09 01:27 AM
12/30/09 01:27 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JAK, it sounds like you're assuming Jesus was not experiencing "perfect peace" when He did the things you named above. Or, did I misunderstand your point? I've always thought peace and pain cohabitate in the hearts of those who love and obey God. "Perfect peace", therefore, isn't bliss or the absence of trouble. "Perfect peace" is knowing you're walking in the will of God.

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: JAK] #122491
12/30/09 01:45 AM
12/30/09 01:45 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What was posted in #122473 by JCS is more along the lines of what I am looking for in this thread.

Tangible evidence is what I am looking for in response to this person I spoke to over the phone.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: Daryl] #122498
12/30/09 06:52 AM
12/30/09 06:52 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Daryl,

Is math tangible? The reason I posted asking what this individual's areas of interest are, is that I can offer substantial proof, but if it is in an area that the person does not grasp or have interest, it may be of little use.

If the person is inclined toward math or science, I suggest reading through "The Mathematics of Evolution." You can view it online at this address: http://www.mathematicsofevolution.com/

Basically, if you start with the assumption that humans exist (we do, don't we?), and then wonder how it is that we got here, evolution does not stand a chance of having created us who we are today. We ourselves are walking, living proof that a Creator God exists.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: Green Cochoa] #122503
12/30/09 04:15 PM
12/30/09 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Daryl, perfection and perfect peace is tangible evidence the bible is telling the truth about God.

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: Mountain Man] #122508
12/30/09 06:16 PM
12/30/09 06:16 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
MM, perfection and perfect peace are NOT tangible. Each one is personally defined, they are completely subjective, and even the Christians on this web-site (myself included--no offense intended) have not yet given a practical definition of either one.

Moreover, to say ""Perfect peace" is knowing you're walking in the will of God." and then propose this as a proof of God is completely circular in reasoning. Bear in mind that we are trying to show proof of God to an athiest who a)does't believe in God (or gods) and b)certainly does not care about walking in his will in order to find proof.

Looking at this whole question from his (the athiest's) point of view means we must step away from those forms of "proof" that "work" for (some) committed Christians and find something he will take as proof. This task is made more complex by the fact that many athiests have not thought through their belief system thoroughly enough to know what they would accept for proof. (Sadly, the same applies to many Christians as well.)

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: Green Cochoa] #122510
12/30/09 06:32 PM
12/30/09 06:32 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Basically, if you start with the assumption that humans exist (we do, don't we?), and then wonder how it is that we got here, evolution does not stand a chance of having created us who we are today. We ourselves are walking, living proof that a Creator God exists.

GC, I can take that as proof for me. Modern science, on the other hand, makes two assumptions where you have made one. The first assumption is that we exist. That is not really an assumption; actually it's not an assumption at all. We can show hard evidence that humans exist. (I won't even discuss this point) But the second assumption modern science makes is that God does not exist. This is much harder to argue either pro or con.

All science (indeed, all religion, all law codes, all moral codes, and probably anything eles one can think of) is based on assumptions. These assumptions create, and are reinforced by, our world view. Together they create the paradigms we operate from. To change ones view of the world you must change the paradigms, which changes the assumptions, which changes the worldview.

Last edited by JAK; 12/30/09 06:35 PM.

Re: Evidence of God's Existence? [Re: JAK] #122511
12/30/09 07:01 PM
12/30/09 07:01 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
At the end of the day, God has not asked us to prove that he exists. He has asked us to go and make disciples. He has left the proof to himself.

We might turn this question around and ask the athiest to prove that God does not exist. You never know; it worked for C.S. Lewis.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!