HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,061 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 84 of 105 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122949
01/16/10 01:47 AM
01/16/10 01:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
My understanding of God is far less authoritarian than yours. Your idea is that we are to do what God says, because He says so, and God does not require (or even desire, perhaps(?)) that we understand why. We should just do, because He's God, and God is in a position of authority over us.

I believe this is an accurate representation of your thoughts here.

Not quite. I do believe that God expects us to obey even when we don't understand why He commands what He commands. Yes, He wants understanding, but it often takes a long time for foolish humans to grasp it. In the meantime, while we lack understanding, He still requires obedience.

But the reason for our obedience, and this is the key you failed to see, is not His position of authority, but our trust of His love and wisdom. Because He loves us, He wants only the best for us. And because He is wise, He knows what is best for us and how to effect it. And because we trust His love and wisdom, we obey, even if our sinful, human wisdom falls short of understanding.

I guess that another factor, aside from trusting God's love and wisdom, is distrusting my own wisdom.

I believe that God is not authoritarian, but rather wise and loving, and desires obedience on the basis of our appreciating His character, as opposed to based on His position of authority. I believe He never asks us to do something, involving moral decisions, without giving us evidence upon which to base our decision. I believe that God always wants our obedience to be a thoughtful, well-reasoned obedience, and never wants obedience simply on a rote basis, and would question whether God would even consider this to be obedience at all.

You say that God's wisdom and love are the basis of your kind of obedience, but your explanation does not bear this out. Rather than trust God's love and wisdom, and obey Him because He loves you and He is wise, you will obey only after your own wisdom and reason have confirmed the efficacy of His command. In fact, I would say that in your view, God never commands; rather, He requests, and you comply if His request is acceptable to you.

I would not question if your view constitutes obedience, because it clearly does. However, it is not obedience to God; it is obedience to yourself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122950
01/16/10 01:59 AM
01/16/10 01:59 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
You were talking about destruction as a tool. Then, when I pointed out that God does indeed use that tool (since Satan obviously can't be using that tool to destroy the earth after he has been destroyed himself), you pull the old switcheroo. To continue your defense, you switch from the context of "responsible" as one who implements the tool of destruction, to "responsible" as one who is culpable for the condition that will be destroyed.

There's no swicheroo. Since since came into being, it's had devastating effects, which always tends to destruction, as the 2nd law of thermodynamics illustrates. It's necessary for God to exert His influence to maintain things. The SOP tells us that even for the earth to stay in its orbit, God's influence is necessary. We don't half understand the negative impact of sin. When God finally let's go, then all hell breaks lose, so to speak.

LOL I like that. Indeed, all hell will break loose if not for God.

However, I don't agree that this is a result of sin. In a sinless universe, do you think things would continue functioning flawlessly without God's participation? If so, that is tantamount to saying that God wants a universe that can function without Him.

I don't agree with that. I believe God, even in a perfect universe, is necessary for even the most fundamental phenomena. His life makes everything go. Without God, even without sin, entropy will increase until it reaches a state of equilibrium.

Now if God were to actively cause destruction, like Satan does when God permits him to, then God would be using the tools of the enemy.

So, when Satan is dead, and the earth is a giant mess, who is it that causes everything to melt with fervent heat? You don't think that's God?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122951
01/16/10 02:02 AM
01/16/10 02:02 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
T:I don't see what these things have to do with the topic at hand, which was in regards to God's setting people on fire in order to punish them for hours or days at a time during the second resurrection.

a:The reasoning you use to deny that God killed people (directly or indirectly) is the same you use to deny that God will cause people to burn in the end.

It's not necessary to believe that God does not kill to have the same picture of the judgment that I hold. For example, Ty Gibson's perspective on the judgment is, as far as I can tell, the same as mine, but he doesn't hold to the same views on the question of God's killing that I do.

But that does not make it any less true that the reasoning you use to deny that God killed people (directly or indirectly) is the same you use to deny that God will cause people to burn in the end.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122954
01/16/10 02:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
So, we are to be like God in many things, but not in everything. What you suggest - sinful man wielding the authority to take the life of his brother - is reserved only for Him who gives life. If you are expecting to be like God in that aspect, get ready to be disappointed. (But the rest of the universe will be quite relieved that such authority is not given to finite beings.)

I guess I'm a little confused here.

I wouldn't say that. I would say you are a whole lot of confused. To fix the confusion may require going way back and settling such fundamental issues as why we are lost and what it is that Jesus saves us from. Perhaps we can find a good thread for that.

You see, I thought acts were evil or not. I also thought acts were part of character.

Yes, you are confused there. Character = thoughts and feelings combined. Acts are not part of character, but character influences acts. Good we cleared that up.

You would suggest that it's not the acts, but who is doing them that determines whether they're evil or not.

Not really. If I "lie" with my wife, there would be no problem. If my neighbor "lies" with his wife, there would be no problem. But if I "lie" with my neighbor, that would be a problem.

Same act, different people, different results.

So, Satan could do the same thing that God does and it would be evil, whereas what God does would be good. Good is evil, evil is good.

See the example above.

Consider another example. If God gave Eve the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil to eat, there would be no problem. But Satan gave it her, so there was a problem.

See, this sounds very confusing. Do you think this confusion is what resulted in the past (and present) religious killings?

No, I don't. I think religious killings, for the most part, are because people thought they had the same prerogatives as God.

But people doing what God tells them to do, like when the Israelites stoned Achan, is a good thing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122955
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
God can do things that would be sinful for us to do.

Amen! And that's a good thing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122961
01/16/10 11:21 PM
01/16/10 11:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Exactly(that this is just a play on words). And it is a game of words you are playing.

No, I'm not. I'm discussing things in terms of the principles involved. The principle is that force is not a principle of God's government. His principles are not of this order. The context makes clear how the author was using the word "force."

Right. But you and I don't seem to agree on what that context is, and when it applies.

Furthermore, you believe that God uses force under certain circumstances. For example, you believe that the wicked would rather be covered by a mountain that see Christ's face and glory. Right? But they don't get what they want, do they? They are forced, against their desire, to see God's glory in its fullness.

I must admire your ability to put things in a negative way when it comes to God's doing things, but I don't agree that God will force people to do things against their will. My understanding is that force is contrary to the principle of God's government, and that His principles are of this order. If this were only true sometimes, then we should say instead something like "Generally speaking, force is not a principle of God's government. Usually the Lord's principles are not of this order. Generally speaking, compelling power is only to be found in the government of the enemy."

Certainly if God were to act contrary to the principles of His government during the final judgment, the purpose of which is the vindication of God and His government, that would be irony of the highest order.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122962
01/16/10 11:53 PM
01/16/10 11:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My understanding of God is far less authoritarian than yours. Your idea is that we are to do what God says, because He says so, and God does not require (or even desire, perhaps(?)) that we understand why. We should just do, because He's God, and God is in a position of authority over us.

I believe this is an accurate representation of your thoughts here.

Not quite. I do believe that God expects us to obey even when we don't understand why He commands what He commands. Yes, He wants understanding, but it often takes a long time for foolish humans to grasp it. In the meantime, while we lack understanding, He still requires obedience.

But the reason for our obedience, and this is the key you failed to see, is not His position of authority, but our trust of His love and wisdom. Because He loves us, He wants only the best for us. And because He is wise, He knows what is best for us and how to effect it. And because we trust His love and wisdom, we obey, even if our sinful, human wisdom falls short of understanding.

I guess that another factor, aside from trusting God's love and wisdom, is distrusting my own wisdom.

I believe that God is not authoritarian, but rather wise and loving, and desires obedience on the basis of our appreciating His character, as opposed to based on His position of authority. I believe He never asks us to do something, involving moral decisions, without giving us evidence upon which to base our decision. I believe that God always wants our obedience to be a thoughtful, well-reasoned obedience, and never wants obedience simply on a rote basis, and would question whether God would even consider this to be obedience at all.

You say that God's wisdom and love are the basis of your kind of obedience, but your explanation does not bear this out. Rather than trust God's love and wisdom, and obey Him because He loves you and He is wise, you will obey only after your own wisdom and reason have confirmed the efficacy of His command. In fact, I would say that in your view, God never commands; rather, He requests, and you comply if His request is acceptable to you.

I would not question if your view constitutes obedience, because it clearly does. However, it is not obedience to God; it is obedience to yourself.

In the first part of your response, it appears you're saying pretty much the same thing I am. That is, that we should obey God on the basis of His character (we can trust Him because of His wisdom and love) as opposed to on the basis of His position (do what He says because He is God).

From the SOP we read

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration.(SC 105)

Quote:
He (Jesus) maintained his disguise till he had interpreted the Scriptures, and had led them to an intelligent faith in his life, his character, his mission to earth, and his death and resurrection. He wished the truth to take firm root in their minds, not because it was supported by his personal testimony, but because the typical law, and the prophets of the Old Testament, agreeing with the facts of his life and death, presented unquestionable evidence of that truth. (3SP 214)

These bring out the importance that God ascribes to reason, which is because God respects free will so highly. In order for us to do things of our own free will, our reason must be involved. Otherwise, if reason is bypassed, our obedience becomes robotic and unthinking.

Here's a statement regarding God's will that we understand the reason for Christ's having come:

Quote:
The life of Christ is to be carefully meditated upon, and to be constantly studied with a desire to understand the reason why He had to come at all. We can only form our conclusions by searching the Scriptures as Christ has enjoined upon us to do, for He says, "They testify of me." We may find by searching the Word the virtues of obedience in contrast with the sinfulness of disobedience. "As by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

Here's a statement regarding the importance of understanding God's character, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy.

Quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. His sophistry lessens the obligation of the divine law, and gives men license to sin. At the same time he causes them to cherish false conceptions of God, so that they regard him with fear and hate, rather than with love. The cruelty inherent in his own character is attributed to the Creator; it is embodied in systems of religion, and expressed in modes of worship. Thus the minds of men are blinded, and Satan secures them as his agents to war against God.(GC 568)

Regarding your point about commanding versus requesting, the word I would use is "counsel." That is, God counsels us, and we choose whether to heed His counsel or not, since God does not force the will. If we choose not to, He does not arbitrarily punish us, because we didn't do what He said, but we suffer the consequences of setting aside His wise counsel.

That which destroys is sin/Satan. Therefore God warns us in regards to this great danger. If we disregard His warnings, we suffer the inevitable consequences. It's inevitable that choosing self over God will lead to problems, including suffering, misery and death. How could it not?

Your final paragraph was the following:

Quote:

The position that God appeals to our reason when asking us to do His will, you consider as not obedience to Him, but obedience to self. If it is true that God does appeal to our reason in regards to obedience, then your paragraph here is indirectly an accusation against God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122963
01/17/10 12:18 AM
01/17/10 12:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
LOL I like that. Indeed, all hell will break loose if not for God.

However, I don't agree that this is a result of sin. In a sinless universe, do you think things would continue functioning flawlessly without God's participation? If so, that is tantamount to saying that God wants a universe that can function without Him.

I don't agree with that. I believe God, even in a perfect universe, is necessary for even the most fundamental phenomena. His life makes everything go. Without God, even without sin, entropy will increase until it reaches a state of equilibrium.

I think there are two different issues here. One is whether the universe could run without God. I agree with you regarding this point.

Regarding the second law of thermodynamics, my thoughts have been that this is the result of sin. My thinking is that the second law of thermodynamics has to do with inefficiencies, and that without sin things would run with 100% efficiency, hence the second law of thermodynamics wouldn't apply. However, I haven't thought this through in detail. Of the top of my head, I can see some difficulties with this idea. For example, if one puts a few drops of perfume in a room, in a number of minutes its fragrance will fill the room, because the molecules diffuse, which is expected by the second law of thermodynamics. One would certainly expect this behavior to continue, even without sin. So it would probably be necessary to break the second law of thermodynamics into categories. Something interesting to consider.

Quote:
Now if God were to actively cause destruction, like Satan does when God permits him to, then God would be using the tools of the enemy.

So, when Satan is dead, and the earth is a giant mess, who is it that causes everything to melt with fervent heat? You don't think that's God?

I think it's the fire that causes the heat, and I think the fire comes from the earth (molten lava and such).

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122964
01/17/10 12:33 AM
01/17/10 12:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:I don't see what these things have to do with the topic at hand, which was in regards to God's setting people on fire in order to punish them for hours or days at a time during the second resurrection.

a:The reasoning you use to deny that God killed people (directly or indirectly) is the same you use to deny that God will cause people to burn in the end.

It's not necessary to believe that God does not kill to have the same picture of the judgment that I hold. For example, Ty Gibson's perspective on the judgment is, as far as I can tell, the same as mine, but he doesn't hold to the same views on the question of God's killing that I do.

But that does not make it any less true that the reasoning you use to deny that God killed people (directly or indirectly) is the same you use to deny that God will cause people to burn in the end.

If I'm using the same reasoning Ty uses, this doesn't matter, does it? That is, my point applies, that we can discuss the final judgment without discussing whether God has killed in the past.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122971
01/18/10 03:51 PM
01/18/10 03:51 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
You see, I thought acts were evil or not. I also thought acts were part of character.

Yes, you are confused there. Character = thoughts and feelings combined. Acts are not part of character, but character influences acts. Good we cleared that up.
So, would you say if I have good character, I can do any acts? Or are you saying a good character results in good acts? Which then comes around to whether the acts are good or not. Which then brings up that God and Satan do the same act of killing.

Quote:

You would suggest that it's not the acts, but who is doing them that determines whether they're evil or not.

Not really. If I "lie" with my wife, there would be no problem. If my neighbor "lies" with his wife, there would be no problem. But if I "lie" with my neighbor, that would be a problem.

Not really, but really? Really it is who is doing the laying with whom?

Quote:
Consider another example. If God gave Eve the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil to eat, there would be no problem. But Satan gave it her, so there was a problem.

But really, it is not the same act. What was the sinful act that Eve did. I disagree with what you just said.
Quote:

See, this sounds very confusing. Do you think this confusion is what resulted in the past (and present) religious killings?

No, I don't. I think religious killings, for the most part, are because people thought they had the same prerogatives as God.

But people doing what God tells them to do, like when the Israelites stoned Achan, is a good thing.

So this is an example of the same act. And the same people. Just someone else told them to. And if God told them to kill people, couldn't God tell me to kill people? And would it be OK?

Page 84 of 105 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!