HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Daryl, dedication, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,410 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123920
03/08/10 06:14 PM
03/08/10 06:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

I'm sorry, I must have missed where Tom said that. Something fresh in my mind is Luke 8, Luke 9, Luke 10. Now, I don't know exactly if some evil befelled them, but it does seem to indicate/imply/or otherwise conveys the meaning whether correctly or incorrectly (to me) that He withdrew.

Is it your belief that Tom feels the passages below portray Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting evil to befall sinners in the same way He did in the OT?

Luke 8:37 Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back again.

Luke 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save [them]. And they went to another village.

Luke 10:11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

Luke 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save [them]. And they went to another village.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123922
03/08/10 08:44 PM
03/08/10 08:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

The time and circumstances were not right for Jesus to rain down fire, so, yes, it was not possible to have the right spirit.

So, not possible....but....
Quote:

Jesus implied their spirit was wrong. The reasons they wanted to burn them alive were all wrong. Jesus had the right spirit about it. If the disciples had understood the time and circumstances as Jesus did it wouldn't have occurred to them to ask permission to call down fire. Elijah, however, was in harmony with the will of Jesus when he called down fire on the two bands of fifty.

Again, do you see a contradiction here? First you say not possible to have a right spirit (which, by the way is contradictory in itself), then you say they could have and Elijah did have the right spirit. And it, seems to me, is even more contradictory that first you say that right spirit involves the timing and circumstances, then it has to do with motive and harmony with the will of God, but then again you say timing and circumstances.

I hope you are able to see some contradictions within your own statements. Is it possible you are having a hard time defining what "wrong" spirit is? Could it be possible that the "wrong" spirit is wanting to kill anyone in the first place rather than something about when, how, by what means, or how they were feeling at the time they did it?

Quote:

Who or what is the "powers that be"?
Why is that important?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123923
03/08/10 08:59 PM
03/08/10 08:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
M: Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

K: I'm sorry, I must have missed where Tom said that. Something fresh in my mind is Luke 8, Luke 9, Luke 10. Now, I don't know exactly if some evil befelled them, but it does seem to indicate/imply/or otherwise conveys the meaning whether correctly or incorrectly (to me) that He withdrew.

M: Is it your belief that Tom feels the passages below portray Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting evil to befall sinners in the same way He did in the OT?

Luke 8:37 Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back again.

Luke 10:11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

I don't think Tom commented on these passages.
I listed the passages as showing withdrawal.

Do you see anything in the passages as Jesus forcing Himself upon anyone or threatening them if they reject Him? Interesting to note that in chapter 10, it even references Sodom and Gomorrah. If the kingdom is nigh, then they leave, would it follow that the kingdom is no longer nigh? Do you think it is a fair comparison to Sodom and Gomorrah?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123937
03/09/10 12:13 AM
03/09/10 12:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
MM:Hey, come on, give me a break, two out of three ain't bad, right! Was I totally and utterly wrong for thinking you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners on account of sin-hardened Jews? Or, is there a smidgen of truth to it?

T:I've repeatedly said I think the capital punishment is similar in character to polygamy, wanting a king, divorce, etc. I've also present the father/hunter as an analogy as to what I think was happening. I've also said repeatedly, if we wish to know God's ideal will, we have but to look to Christ. How did Christ feel about violence?

MM:1. Why did Jesus permit polygamy, having a king, getting divorced, etc?

Because of the hardness of their hearts.

Quote:
2. Was it because of the hardness of their hearts?

Yes.

Quote:
3. If so, did Jesus command capital punishment because of the hardness of their hearts?

Capital punishment existed because of the hardness of their hearts.

Quote:
4. And, is permitting something and commanding something equivalent (referring to when Jesus does it)?

No.

Quote:
5. Finally, was Moses guilty of violence when he obeyed Jesus' command to kill sinners?

What does "guilty of violence" mean?

I should repeat that I don't think there's any fruit in this. I keep saying this, but it just goes on and on and on, like the Energizer bunny.

If we're interested in understanding God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses. Jesus Christ was the revelation of God. All that man can know of God was revealed by His life and character. We should be studying this revelation, which was given with the express purpose of revealing the Father.

I think we have a fundamental disagreement regarding this point. I think you don't believe that Christ's revelation was superior or necessary. That's my impression.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123945
03/09/10 05:08 PM
03/09/10 05:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: The time and circumstances were not right for Jesus to rain down fire, so, yes, it was not possible to have the right spirit.

K: So, not possible....but....

But what?

Quote:
M: Jesus implied their spirit was wrong. The reasons they wanted to burn them alive were all wrong. Jesus had the right spirit about it. If the disciples had understood the time and circumstances as Jesus did it wouldn't have occurred to them to ask permission to call down fire. Elijah, however, was in harmony with the will of Jesus when he called down fire on the two bands of fifty.

K: Again, do you see a contradiction here? First you say not possible to have a right spirit (which, by the way is contradictory in itself), then you say they could have and Elijah did have the right spirit. And it, seems to me, is even more contradictory that first you say that right spirit involves the timing and circumstances, then it has to do with motive and harmony with the will of God, but then again you say timing and circumstances. I hope you are able to see some contradictions within your own statements. Is it possible you are having a hard time defining what "wrong" spirit is? Could it be possible that the "wrong" spirit is wanting to kill anyone in the first place rather than something about when, how, by what means, or how they were feeling at the time they did it?

There's no contradiction in the statements. You are merely misunderstanding them. The right spirit is possible when the timing and circumstances are right for burning sinners alive. However, it is also possible to have the wrong spirit when the timing and circumstances are right for burning sinners alive. Motives make the difference. If the reasons for calling down fire are in harmony with the will of God then the motives are right and the spirit is right. But if the reasons for calling down fire are not in harmony with the will of God then the motives are wrong and the spirit is wrong. Elijah is a perfect example of being in harmony with the will of God, of having the right motives and the right spirit. The disciples are a perfect example of not being in harmony with the will of God and having the wrong motives and the wrong spirit.

Quote:
M: Who or what is the "powers that be"?

K: Why is that important?

You said the sinners I named above were burned alive when "the powers that be happened". You, therefore, alluded to the origin and source of the fire that killed them. It must have been important enough for you to mention it. Jesus, by the way, is "the head of all principality and power" (Col 2:10). Are you saying Jesus "happened" and those sinners were burned alive? If so, then I agree. If not, who or what do you believe is the "powers that be" that "happened" and resulted in those sinners being burned alive?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123946
03/09/10 05:37 PM
03/09/10 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

K: I'm sorry, I must have missed where Tom said that. Something fresh in my mind is Luke 8, Luke 9, Luke 10. Now, I don't know exactly if some evil befelled them, but it does seem to indicate/imply/or otherwise conveys the meaning whether correctly or incorrectly (to me) that He withdrew.

M: Is it your belief that Tom feels the passages below portray Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting evil to befall sinners in the same way He did in the OT?

K: I don't think Tom commented on these passages. I listed the passages as showing withdrawal. Do you see anything in the passages as Jesus forcing Himself upon anyone or threatening them if they reject Him? Interesting to note that in chapter 10, it even references Sodom and Gomorrah. If the kingdom is nigh, then they leave, would it follow that the kingdom is no longer nigh? Do you think it is a fair comparison to Sodom and Gomorrah?

Tom has commented at length on Luke 9:56. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. Please go back and read what he wrote and then let me know if you think he believes it represents Jesus withdrawing His protection, like He did in the OT, and permitting sinners to suffer and die. Thank you.

In Luke 10:11 Jesus told the disciples to shake the very dust off their feet as a rebuke and reprimand if the townsfolk rejected them. Does this sound like something you envision Jesus doing?

To address your question, do you think the arrival of the disciples in town was equivalent to the "kingdom of God" being "nigh" and that their departure was equivalent to the withdrawal of the "kingdom of God"?

Also, more to the point, do you think their withdrawal resulted in sinners being burned alive? If not, do you see any similarities we can compare with the many times in the OT Jesus was forced to withdraw His protection and permit the death and destruction of men, women, and children?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123947
03/09/10 05:42 PM
03/09/10 05:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Let's, as you have implored us, study this insight in light of Jesus while He was here in the flesh. When did Jesus, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners? Yes, He said would He do so after He returned to Heaven (referring to the destruction of Jews and Jerusalem in 70 AD), but what about while He was here in the flesh?

Ok, let's study what Jesus Christ lived and taught in regards to violence. How did Christ respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to protect Him? How did He respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to punish? How did Christ Himself respond to those who would violently treat Him?

With regards to your question, in the flesh Christ said, in regards to Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

Here Christ speaks of the protection He longed to offer Jerusalem, but they would not.

Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123948
03/09/10 06:08 PM
03/09/10 06:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
MM:Hey, come on, give me a break, two out of three ain't bad, right! Was I totally and utterly wrong for thinking you believe Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners on account of sin-hardened Jews? Or, is there a smidgen of truth to it?

T:I've repeatedly said I think the capital punishment is similar in character to polygamy, wanting a king, divorce, etc. I've also present the father/hunter as an analogy as to what I think was happening. I've also said repeatedly, if we wish to know God's ideal will, we have but to look to Christ. How did Christ feel about violence?

MM:1. Why did Jesus permit polygamy, having a king, getting divorced, etc?

Because of the hardness of their hearts.

Quote:
2. Was it because of the hardness of their hearts?

Yes.

Quote:
3. If so, did Jesus command capital punishment because of the hardness of their hearts?

Capital punishment existed because of the hardness of their hearts.

Quote:
4. And, is permitting something and commanding something equivalent (referring to when Jesus does it)?

No.

Leading up to this point our dialog consisted of the following:

Quote:
M: I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

M: Is that how you'd like to leave it? Or, would you like to summarize what you believe as to why Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? Again, I suspect you feel as though you've clearly answered this question beyond question or misunderstanding, however, the truth is I was thoroughly and completely surprised you didn't answer the first question above with a resounding, YES!!! I correctly assumed you'd answer the other two questions with, No.

At first you said, no, it was not because of the hardness of their hearts that Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners. But now it sounds like you're saying, yes, it was because of the hardness of their hearts. Which is what I thought you were saying all along.

Also, in what sense do you think Jesus commanding something is different than permitting something? Is He more or less responsible, culpable for the outcome?

Quote:
5. Finally, was Moses guilty of violence when he obeyed Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: What does "guilty of violence" mean? I should repeat that I don't think there's any fruit in this. I keep saying this, but it just goes on and on and on, like the Energizer bunny. If we're interested in understanding God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses. Jesus Christ was the revelation of God. All that man can know of God was revealed by His life and character. We should be studying this revelation, which was given with the express purpose of revealing the Father. I think we have a fundamental disagreement regarding this point. I think you don't believe that Christ's revelation was superior or necessary. That's my impression.

In the past you've indicated executing capital punishment is arbitrary and violent. Did I misunderstand you? If not, do you think Moses was executing an arbitrary, violent form of punishment when he obeyed Jesus and killed sinners?

And, I have been trying to following your advice and counsel to study Jesus in the NT in order to understand why, in the OT, He included capital punishment in the law and why He commanded people like Moses to kill sinners.

Also, no, I do not think Jesus' revelation of God's character in the OT is inferior or that His revelation in the NT is superior. I believe Jesus clearly revealed God's character in both testaments. "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2}

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123962
03/10/10 05:27 AM
03/10/10 05:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom has commented at length on Luke 9:56. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. Please go back and read what he wrote and then let me know if you think he believes it represents Jesus withdrawing His protection, like He did in the OT, and permitting sinners to suffer and die. Thank you.

This is from a post addressed to kland. I'm not wanting to get too involved, as I enjoy reading the discussion between you two, but will just interject that I'm a bit surprised by this question. What you're asking about is certainly not something which entered my mind when I commented on the passage in Luke.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123963
03/10/10 05:34 AM
03/10/10 05:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:Ok, let's study what Jesus Christ lived and taught in regards to violence. How did Christ respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to protect Him? How did He respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to punish? How did Christ Himself respond to those who would violently treat Him?

With regards to your question, in the flesh Christ said, in regards to Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

Here Christ speaks of the protection He longed to offer Jerusalem, but they would not.

MM:Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners

???

Quote:
, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

???

I don't understand how you're reading what I wrote, MM.

Here's what I suggest. For a given amount of time, just forget about the Old Testament. Do what Ellen White suggested, spending a thoughtful hour each day on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes. Remember that the whole purpose of Christ's ministry was the revelation of God.

Like those in Christ's day, we all have wrong conceptions as to God's character and the principles of His government. By considering Christ afresh, we can obtain a new perspective, the new wineskin that Christ spoke of.

Consider the teachings of Christ afresh, as if they were new to you, paying special attention to what Christ is trying to communicate. How were the attitudes of the Pharisees, and even Christ's disciples, wrong? What principles did He point out to them in regards to God's character and His government?

It's so easy for us to read into Christ's teachings our own ideas as opposed to allowing His teachings to challenge our paradigm, and give us new wineskins.

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!